• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why you don't need game reviews in your life

Slo

I just don't believe the conspiracy theories that companies are paying for review scores on the major websites.

Is there any hard evidence of this going on, other than that Gamespot kerfuffle years and years ago? Don't you think we'd be hearing more about if there was?

I never said any of that. All I mean is that it's the nature of the relationship. Early access to games is only had by maintaining a good working relationship with the people producing them. Thus you have the 7-10 scale.

Qassim

I just don't believe the conspiracy theories that companies are paying for review scores on the major websites.

Is there any hard evidence of this going on, other than that Gamespot kerfuffle years and years ago? Don't you think we'd be hearing more about if there was?

It's not about conspiracy theories, its about a lack of creativity and quality in the games press in general. I don't see a weird cross-over in marketing and reviews because I believe everyone is being bought out by publishers, I think it's to do with the general lack of quality writers in the industry and the odd relationship many websites have with the information stream.

It's accidental, but it's there. I can't remember the last time I read or watched a review that was relevant or useful.

General conversation among regular games on forums/comment sections/irc channels/ are far, far more useful to me.

Early access to games is only had by maintaining a good working relationship with the people producing them.

...but we don't have evidence of that either, at least as far as I'm aware. Have there been any instances of a publication being denied early access to a certain publisher's games, because that publisher didn't like the website's previous reviews?

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm really lazy and/or don't have enough time to read them and I have GAF (and friends opinions, which I trust most since they know me better). I find a little odd how people TOTALLY depend of how well or bad reviewed a game is to decide if buy it or not. Opinions, anyway...

Slo

...but we don't have evidence of that either, at least as far as I'm aware. Have there been any instances of a publication being denied early access to a certain publisher's games, because that publisher didn't like the website's previous reviews?

I guess I'll just concede this argument. I suspect there might not be any evidence out there that would convince you adequately, and if I scoured the internet looking for some, in the end all I'd "win" was proving to a random guy on the internet that the reason that reviews exist that read "Horrible - 7.2/10" is because reviewers don't want to bite the hand that feeds.

I'm not saying its a sinister conspiracy, I'm just saying it's common sense.

That happened to one of the magazines years ago, egm i think? They ripped into assassin's creed and ubi stopped sending them games.

This stuff happens.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It always makes me cringe, when I see a reviewer mention something like that, particularly the open world mantra. New experiences are of course welcome, but I mostly bought a new system for better visuals; same gameplay mechanics I've grown to love dressed in a better form. Truth be told, I can't think of any real innovations in gameplay, that would have been introduced after the PS1 days, apart from the online features, and I'm not really yearning for them either.

Polish is often mistaken for innovation. Since the beginning of accelerated 3D visuals, popular game designs have become increasingly polished and the awkward aspects of their play mechanics supplanted by better design. But things haven't changed all that much at the core. Thing is, I think there is such a thing as diminishing returns in polish as well as visuals. Design issues have been heavily sorted at this point. Every wave of new software isn't likely to create the illusion of playing very differently from the last.

As for open world, well, there seems to have always been this idea firmly entrenched that the dream of interactive games is to create the Holodeck so the gamer can run around in an infinite, completely realistic world. As sandbox games have gotten increasingly sophisticated visually, this old notion may have received a shot of fresh vitality.

Slo

That happened to one of the magazines years ago, egm i think? They ripped into assassin's creed and ubi stopped sending them games.

This stuff happens.

It happens in every industry. Look at sports, ESPN interviews basically come down to "Gosh Tom Brady, what's it like being so awesome all the time?" It's those types of hard hitting questions that land the exclusive story the next time Brady has something major to announce. In effect, ESPN is Brady's mouthpiece, and it works out for both of them.

I've never understood ppl who use reviews. I can look at a trailer and usually tell within seconds if it's something I want. Seconds. I don't need someone to tell me it's ok.

I enjoy hearing other perspectives on the games I play. Reviews can also be extremely helpful when trying a genre I've never dabbled in, or a game that does not seem immediately appealing but that others rave about. I like to try new things so I find well written and reasoned reviews both useful and enjoyable in their own right.

Btw the feeling' mutual. I really don't get folks like you! But to each their own.

Brashnir

Reviews are great, as long as you don't use them only as a means to validate your own opinion. Or worse, to validate your ignorant pre-release suppositions about a game.

I like to read reviews of games I liked by someone who hated them, and of games I hated by someone who liked them to appreciate where they're coming from. And sure, there are plenty of times I disagree with how they came to their conclusions, but that's fine because I often end up with a better understanding of the game when I'm finished than I might have had otherwise.

Don't read reviews, you wouldn't want all those marketing money to be wasted in vain because of a bad review. Trust the publisher. Don't doubt the publisher.

Reading Reviews isn't the problem. More often than not, the written review will touch on the aspects you want to know about.

What you shouldn't advocate is skipping the body of the review simply for the numerical response.

you hear that GTA 4 is a 10 out of 10 and run out to buy it you expect perfection... Guess what... that game is so far from perfect that you should be questioning how reviewers come to that outcome outside of a payday. Imagine that if you read those actual reviews you may realize that the game isn't perfect, and it isn't for you.

Consider for a fact that Metacritic doesn't use the written review for their averages and bonuses are paid out for reaching specific numbers. It is a broken system where the developer AND consumer both suffer. I wish there was a far greater focus on the written/verbal review than there was on the numerical value placed on it, but sadly, in this ADHD filled fast moving immediate gratification needs of the consumer that won't ever happen.

dogstar

Banned
I have enjoyed reading reviews since Crash ZX Spectrum magazine back in the 80's, but I've only ever used them as a way of gauging whether I am likely to enjoy the game or not, rather than taking their score as gospel, and basing my buying decision on the end number. Out of the recent crop of games released, my absolute favourite has been AC-Unity - despite not being a series I've enjoyed that much before - which has reviewed far worse than most of the other recent AAA titles. Some reviews seem to be more about the reviewer than an objective look at the game; for instance GamesTM magazine review of AC-U gave it 4/10 and clearly the reviewer had a bee in his bonnet about it for whatever reason, to the point of cringworthy absurdity. Despite the review/s I thought it worth a try as many elements appealed, and I was right to go with my instinct, rather than the line the reviews wanted to push.

If everyone stopped reading reviews, we wouldn't have review threads. I like review threads.
The Order 1886 is going to be crazy ;) I almost wish that Eurogamer preview thread didn't happen so I could see people go all hog wild when any negative review pops up and the thread becomes 100 pages long, Uncharted 3 levels of hilarity :D The outraged people might have spent some of their energy in that preview thread.

I'm not saying its a sinister conspiracy, I'm just saying it's common sense.

Okay, so we actually might not disagree that much, since I'm also not saying there's no influence happening at all. But I don't think you can jump from "reviews are somewhat influenced by marketers" to "reviews are essentially just marketing". (which is what you implied when you said the two were redundant)

We don't have any perfect systems, but reading reviews is a heck of a lot better than buying whatever "looks good". Because what "looks good" is directly influenced by the advertising that surrounds us, as opposed to "maybe indirectly influencing reviews on some level".

Edit: Also, as much as I dislike the 7-10 review scale, it's not necessarily terrible if you (1) accept the fact that it exists and consider a "7" to be the equivalent of two stars, and (2) you actually read the review instead of just looking at the number score.

Endo Punk

I need reviews. I trust my judgement but sometimes when Im on the fence its great to look at a variety of reviews, usually more than opinion of most gamers. Sorry but gamers tend to be openly bias, for example I would most likely be sold PlayStation Battle Royale because a gamer forgot to take off his nostalgia goggles while reviews showed the game for the pos that it is.

well guess what, the people in those review threads exist too and they're the ones that keep reviews relevant

I have no idea what you are talking about. Then again I've been having this problem of not knowing what people on gaf are even trying to say a lot lately so maybe it's me. But seriously I have no idea what the point you're trying to make is with the "guess what those people exist too'" ( no shit?), or how only people in reviews thread are what make reviews relevant. People who read and use reviews are what make reviews relevant, not just people in review threads

Kariodude

Banned
Here's the thing about reviews. They would be so much better if they just stopped before the last paragraph. I don't need to know a 8/10 score or someone to say "In conclusion, this game is amazing" because that doesn't do anything for me. I know TotalBiscuit says he does first impression videos of games, but I've always seen what he does as a non-traditional review. He doesn't give a score or rating at the end, it's just an opinion. If you left the scores and final paragraphs off of reviews on IGN or Kotaku or wherever, they would just be someone's impressions of a game which are the only valuable part of a review in the first place.

Uthred

I dont like reviews so you should like them too: The thread. Or to be less flippant, reviews are, in aggregate, a useful source of information that generally take a minimal amount of time to peruse and process. More information, especially in a more easily digestible format than trawling forums, etc. is a good thing. Its better to be more informed than less informed. I agree that you shouldnt slavishly base your entire opinion on reviews, especially as additional information is quickly available via even a cursory search. But reviews remain a useful source of information. One which could be improved if reveiwers and review outlets put more effort into keeping them up to date.

Hugstable

Banned
I dont like reviews so you should like them too: The thread. Or to be less flippant, reviews are, in aggregate, a useful source of information that generally take a minimal amount of time to peruse and process. More information, especially in a more easily digestible format than trawling forums, etc. is a good thing. Its better to be more informed than less informed. I agree that you shouldnt slavishly base your entire opinion on reviews, especially as additional information is quickly available via even a cursory search. But reviews remain a useful source of information. One which could be improved if reveiwers and review outlets put more effort into keeping them up to date.

Great post, I agree that reviews are very helpful to me as a consumer that is only able to pick up one 60$ game a month, it's nice to have a wealth of info to make an informed decision. Both positive and negative reviews help with that as you can get a good feel for whether or not youbhave interest in a game.

Fantomex

Reviews would have helped me greatly when I was 7. I bought this flaming piece of crap with my hard earned money. Sega, Tengen, it's guaranteed to be good!

Awesome-Possum-Kicks-Dr-Machines-Butt.jpg

chemicals

I just feel the need to come in here and say that game reviews are entertainment. If you judge whether or not to buy a game from the review score of some website or magazine, you are a straight up punk. I would like to think that like myself - everyone has their own tastes.

I love to read Rolling Stone album reviews, but I believe that My opinion is right and theres is mostly wrong. I'M right because i am a unique person and everyone has his or her preferences.

Mooreberg

Here's the thing about reviews. They would be so much better if they just stopped before the last paragraph. I don't need to know a 8/10 score or someone to say "In conclusion, this game is amazing" because that doesn't do anything for me.
They know the traffic would take a hit without the scores. If the writing was interesting enough on average, features editors would not have been getting the boot so much in recent years.

Right now, you have people trying to review things as "art" when games are not even remotely out of the "product evaluation phase" as a medium. Nobody is reviewing movies that crash to the scene selection menu, books with missing pages, or albums that inexplicably skip tracks. After a year like this, trying to pretend that games are not software is ludicrous. I honestly thought with how similar a lot of the hardware is these days, and general purpose game engines being commonplace, we'd be past this by now. But we are not. Ignoring that means you are not providing worthwhile information.

geomon

I haven't listened to a review (game or otherwise) in, I want to say, about 19 years. I just don't see the point of it any more, especially with the internet and gameplay videos being so abundant.

Kite

Game reviewers need to recognize what they are and aren't. They aren't literary artists and I don't give a fuck about their opinions as strangers, what I need are Consumer Reports for games. Tell me how well it runs and if there are any technical issues. Mr. artsy-fartsy reviewer might jizz over the latest retro 8-bit sidescroller but I may not like that type of stuff at all. Just tell me what type of story and gameplay is in it and I can decide for myself if it is what I want. Just imagine if Consumer Reports spent a good portion of their reviews complaining about how useless mini suvs are, what social statement it is making, or how good looking/ugly vehicle x is.. idgaf if random reviewer Bob Smith thinks the Nissan Cube is ugly or not, put in a damn pic and I can decide for myself. Stick to how reliable it is and how much interior room it has kthnx.

People have different gaming backgrounds, so if a reviewer spends half the article bitching about how say for example.. Dynasty Warriors hasn't changed in 20+ games, well I've never played one before. All I need is what type of game Dynasty Warriors Gundam is, and after skimming through half the worthless review.. I close the window and go watch a video/stream where I can look and decide for myself. Written game reviews are so useless nowadays.

Halabane

This problem you are having has always been around; its the same issue for reviews for movies, books, technology, cars, etc. This is not a new.

Read reviews by the reviewer on games that you have played. See if your opinion and theirs line up or you at least understand their thinking. Read reviews from several sources. Again try to get some history on the reviewer if possible. Even those you don't agree with.
Some parts of game reviews are subjective. Thats why you need to understand the reviewers tastes. Then you should have a better understanding where they are coming from. Reading reviews for me is part of the fun of this hobby.

That could also apply to GAF. People who you have history with will be useful. Random strangers...not so much. Often the we are just looking to confirm our own opinion with others. Applies to how you get advice on something in real life. You will seek out advice from someone you trust on a certain subject. Probably not always the same person. Again seeing all the opinions is part of the fun.

It appears 1886 is what got this going for you. To me the enthusiasts sites we look to for reviews are starting to get pro active about waiting for games to come out before you buy them. Recent history has shown several games coming out broken or just not alot of fun. If we as consumers don't stop the practice of paying for stuff blind...just handing developers money then the crap will just keep on coming.

However the reviewer is doing his best Jim Sterling. I don't like snarky reviewers and he started this one off by trying to be funny and you shouldn't make fun of others work. That maybe what turns me off. Someone worked hard on this. May not be what I like but I respect some else's efforts.

Odrion

Banned
I keep getting told I don't need game reviews but it's the reviewers that told me that Knack and Killzone: SF were awful garbage and Gaffers who were telling me that they're great.

Hmm.

Top Bottom