• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

JoseJX

Does anyone know if the Fit Meters are region locked? My girlfriend was hoping to get a different color instead of the black meter that I got. It looks like I can order them from Play Asia, but I just wanted to check before spending the money.

BowieZ

Banned
Yes!!!!

Found my balance board at my parents house, under the stairs, covered in dust
and cobwebs
... now just to get a Fit Meter!

Does anyone know if the Fit Meters are region locked? My girlfriend was hoping to get a different color instead of the black meter that I got. It looks like I can order them from Play Asia, but I just wanted to check before spending the money.
Ditto. Can only find black ones at retail/online in Australia.

Am thinking of importing the red x white one.

boxter432

So I started up and synced my meter for the first time last night after getting the only one left at a TRU kinda near me on Tues. Wore my meter all day. It was super secure on my pocket, I literally could barely get it off to check steps....I went to the Vikings-redskins game and check my pocket during the game and it was gone.

R.I.P. Wii U Fit Meter
11/5/13-11/7/13

AzaK

Had a play with this last night and I have to say that I'm rather annoyed that they took the lazy route with the graphics. Basically it's just HD versions of what they had with little, if any added extra. Textures looks bland with little "depth" to them.

They could have kept the same style but just made it a little more polished and flashy. Same with the Wii Sports Club. Ugly as.

nubbe

The Fit Meter seem pretty neat
It senses your activity but does not necessarily count it as steps unless you have a momentum in movement.
But you get some calories burned

D-e-f-

Banned
Man, it's so tough to squeeze this into my daily routine. I always have just eaten or don't wanna work up a sweat or am too tired late at night. I feel bad :(

D-e-f-

Banned

Why/how would this be region locked. I can't think of a single battery powered device that is region locked. (The GamePad is region locked because it comes with its own power brick/plug.)

gotee12

Probably a stupid question, but why do we get 200 characters per miiverse post in the official community but only 100 characters in the neogaf wii fit u community?

tsab

Probably a stupid question, but why do we get 200 characters per miiverse post in the official community but only 100 characters in the neogaf wii fit u community?
The ingame miiverse programming was done before the 200character upgrade I would guess

69wpm

Uh, I think I'm stupid today: Where do I put in the code to join the GAF community? Can't find it anywhere in Wii Fit U :/

NeoRausch

The Fit Meter seem pretty neat
It senses your activity but does not necessarily count it as steps unless you have a momentum in movement.
But you get some calories burned

it starts counting after six steps. at least that's what the manual says.

Kolgar

Had a play with this last night and I have to say that I'm rather annoyed that they took the lazy route with the graphics. Basically it's just HD versions of what they had with little, if any added extra. Textures looks bland with little "depth" to them.

They could have kept the same style but just made it a little more polished and flashy. Same with the Wii Sports Club. Ugly as.

I agree. My girlfriend and I booted this up for the first time last night and had fun with it, but man, I kept thinking I was playing the old Wii Fit in 480p. It didn't even look HD to me. If Nintendo wanted to light a fire under Wii U among a wider audience, they should have revitalized the design style of this game with a new, cool, snazzy sheen.

My Fit Meter is finally on the way to me. WAY too hard to get a hold of one of those things.

Will dive in more with this software on Saturday.

panda21

the 'red' fit meter looks pretty orange to me. like its not red at all, its orange.

i really like the fit meter challenges, but is there more to it than just showing your progress on a map? like for the berlin walking one, when you get to the landmarked places, does anything happen? I only just got out the start so I didn't reach any yet.

also the squash is a lot of fun, but for some reason i find it really hard to hit the ball, like i always swing too late. I think its because the ball is so big it sort of confuses your mind or something?!

Kouriozan

Ahah, this is awesome!

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01c5j9p.jpg

Finally tried Salsa, and starting to unlock the more advanced dances, just wow.

I'm getting better at that Locking dance :p

zlCfzRLor2M_pSEfZi

JoseJX

Why/how would this be region locked. I can't think of a single battery powered device that is region locked. (The GamePad is region locked because it comes with its own power brick/plug.)

The 3DS is region locked, and I just wanted to ask to see if there was region specific firmware on them. It's not like Nintendo has a great record with this.

That said, I'll get one and try it out. Hopefully there's no issues.

iphys

Thanks!

I'm curious. Has anyone added their waist size? Does it change how your mii looks?

That's a good question. My BMI is under 22, yet my Mii has a noticeably fat belly in comparison to his skinny little arms and legs, and I don't get why: it's like Nintendo is trying to give people body image problems and make them anorexic.

Fry's has Wii Fit Meters but it's like thirty minutes away from me now.

BUT on the other hand, if I go out that way, I can stop by the comic store and buy the new Oswald figure.

Cfh123

One thing that bugs me is it keeps asking me if I am left or right handed in the Squash game. You would think asking once would be enough.

D-e-f-

Banned
The 3DS is region locked, and I just wanted to ask to see if there was region specific firmware on them. It's not like Nintendo has a great record with this.

That said, I'll get one and try it out. Hopefully there's no issues.

That's a gaming system. You're talking about a peripheral.

bumpkin

Man, it's so tough to squeeze this into my daily routine. I always have just eaten or don't wanna work up a sweat or am too tired late at night. I feel bad :(
This whole nonsense about exercising before you've eaten anything is such a misnomer. You're actually better off eating something at least a half hour to an hour prior to working out. Just make sure that it's something with complex carbohydrates (stuff like oatmeal). This gives your body energy to use while you're exercising. The slower rate of metabolization of complex carbs gives you a steady, consistent stream of fuel rather than the quick spike of something sugary. At the end of the day, the most important thing to do when trying to lose weight is to create a "caloric deficit" by day's end. That is, burn more than you take in. Doing exercise - no matter when or how - helps you do this, as well as improving your cardiovascular health (heart, lungs, etc.).

The link below is the tool I've been using to set my daily calorie intake. I have been taking the BMR and TDEE and simply splitting the difference (i.e. if BMR is 1700 and TDEE is 2100, I shoot for 1900). While I'm not a personal trainer or any kind of fitness expert by any means, following this rule has allowed me to lose roughly 20 lbs in the past 6 months; a nice, steady, healthy weight loss rate. No big pockets of loose flappy skin for this guy!

http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.com/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

*steps off the soapbox*

I was finally able to track down a Fit Meter a few days ago and basically plan to use Wii Fit U to supplement my existing workout (I lift weights three times a week). I've jokingly called it "Operation Man-Beast." :D

hwy_61

Banned
Can somebody please tell me what in the fuck is going on with the fit meters? Its unavailable on pretty much every retailer website!

IzzyF3

Just joined the US community! Great experience with this so far. I've had a FitBit One for a while and the Fit Meter definite feels cheaper than the the FitBit, but the Nintendo software definitely kicks FitBit's butt. Well, it may not be as comprehensive in it's data as FitBit's web interface, but Wii Fit has got me excited to measure myself every morning and also makes me think about the foods I eat and activities I do throughout the day to keep the weight dropping for each weigh in. It's even fun to see your Mii make it's way around the various running and hiking courses and it's definitely satisfying to receive new outfits for accomplishing goals, something FitBit doesn't have.

This is definitely Nintendo's best use of the pedometer yet and I've owned the black/white and colored Pikachu pets, the Pokemon Heart Gold pedometer and the 3DS pedometer.

I hope they continue to expand the game with DLC or plus versions or whatever. I'm all for it.

bluehat9

i got mine at TRU and the only reason is because I don't think they had any out. no one knew what I was talking about until I showed them the sku off their website. Guy disappeared for 10 minutes and then brought one I guess out of the back.

Anyone know how many days it will track if I don't sync it? I'm going on a trip and was thinking about taking it. Then I questioned taking in on a plane too.

bumpkin

i got mine at TRU and the only reason is because I don't think they had any out. no one knew what I was talking about until I showed them the sku off their website. Guy disappeared for 10 minutes and then brought one I guess out of the back.

Anyone know how many days it will track if I don't sync it? I'm going on a trip and was thinking about taking it. Then I questioned taking in on a plane too.
I asked about that earlier in the thread and found an answer by digging through posts. It will keep track of 7 days worth of altitude information and 28 days worth of steps. My plan is to make sure I sync it up at least once a week.

gogogow

I was downloading the Wii Fit U Trial since I got my Wii Fit meter. After about 2 hours of downloading (not finished yet), the Wii U turned itself off and the LED changed into a orange/yellow-ish colour. Is it still downloading the game in standby mode? Or do I need to turn it on again?

adroit

Thanks for answering, it's gonna take a while, so i'll let it download the game in standby mode. Really cool feature. You mean "without interrupting", right?
I'm not even a Wii U owner so I've got no business answering but Nintendo's support site says it even continues to download in the background if you play other games:

Downloads will continue in the background, even while playing games.

If needed, you can open Download Management during gameplay and pause any downloads. Downloads will resume once you return to the Wii U Menu.​

kitsuneyo

I was downloading the Wii Fit U Trial since I got my Wii Fit meter. After about 2 hours of downloading (not finished yet), the Wii U turned itself off and the LED changed into a orange/yellow-ish colour. Is it still downloading the game in standby mode? Or do I need to turn it on again?

Orange always means the Wii U is checking for updates or downloading something.

Haines

Banned
so we had friends over last night, to play wiiU Party, Sports etc

i was talking about the pricing for sports club asi was downloading bowling, which led me into explaining how we got WiiFit U for free with a 20 pedo purchase

turns out the female counter part of the friends was wearing a pedo at this moment from doing a pedo competition at work, and my girl was wearing hers from wiifit

it was pretty funny

RaidenZR

I'm starting to have some major issues with the pedometer. I run about 3 miles per day, which includes a lengthy cool down walk for ten minutes or. On top of that I do a little walk to a juice and smoothie shop on the corner to get a rehydrating beverage. I don't know the exact distance to the shop offhand but its a good 6-10 minute walk each way.

Today after I did all of that and got home to sync the meter, it gave me a whopping 2.2 miles tally. Something is really off with it... and before anyone asks I keep it clipped to my belt or gym shorts on my right side, by my hip.

Anyone else see discrepancies of this magnitude?

GulAtiCa

^^^
Well, it's not GPS, so it's likely not going be completely accurate. Esp since it's guessing by steps you may or may not have taken. It may know your height and weight, but doesn't really know how tall your legs are, how far apart your steps are when running, etc. So it can only really do what it can with it's best guesses.

And woops sorry. I meant you can turn it on "without" interrupting it. You can also play games and let the game to download some more.

RaidenZR

^^^
Well, it's not GPS, so it's likely not going be completely accurate. Esp since it's guessing by steps you may or may not have taken. It may know your height and weight, but doesn't really know how tall your legs are, how far apart your steps are when running, etc. So it can only really do what it can with it's best guesses.
That's fine. I am rational and can understand and account for some margin of error, but I feel confident in saying that I did at least an extra mile of walking after the run, which brings me to about 4 miles total of travel. I feel like the pedometer's margin of error being about 50% accurate (in this instance) to be fairly unacceptable. Not to mention disappointing.

D-e-f-

Banned
Orange always means the Wii U is checking for updates or downloading something.

Like the Wii or 3DS or DS. :D

Orange = network activity.

Hence:
270px-nintendo_networxal9c.png

edit:

lol look at my stupid face!
ordk0.jpg

also, why is this one so extremely blurry? both are from Miiverse. the underwater shot is taken with the in-game photo camera and shared from the photo album.
bad20.jpg

Sendou

I'm starting to have some major issues with the pedometer. I run about 3 miles per day, which includes a lengthy cool down walk for ten minutes or. On top of that I do a little walk to a juice and smoothie shop on the corner to get a rehydrating beverage. I don't know the exact distance to the shop offhand but its a good 6-10 minute walk each way.

Today after I did all of that and got home to sync the meter, it gave me a whopping 2.2 miles tally. Something is really off with it... and before anyone asks I keep it clipped to my belt or gym shorts on my right side, by my hip.

Anyone else see discrepancies of this magnitude?

I hope I'm not speaking out of my ass here but I think you need to add your waist size (and keep it updated) for more accurate lenght travelled calculations.

Top Bottom