• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Effect

Hopefully E3 will be when we do learn a date. I am still curious if we'll get another Assassin's Creed or if Watch_Dogs will be what Ubisoft releases on the system instead.

I did pick up AC3 again. Used this time. Not sure if I'll play it again or get the DLC but wanted it for my collect and always regretted selling it when I did.

So I got Splinter Cell in the mail yesterday. Didn't have time to play it, but I let it update. It asked me to sign in to/create a Uplay account. I was about to, but then I read some (really unhelpful) things about it. So...

Do you have to pay a fee to use Uplay?
Is it really necessary for the game?
Is it true that it can cause problems? (Like account ID theft, gameplay problems, etc.)
Should I have signed up anyways?

Thanks!

RiggyRob

So I got Splinter Cell in the mail yesterday. Didn't have time to play it, but I let it update. It asked me to sign in to/create a Uplay account. I was about to, but then I read some (really unhelpful) things about it. So...

Is it true that it can cause problems? (Like account ID theft, gameplay problems, etc.)

Thanks!

I haven't actually used Uplay, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but:

-You don't need to pay a fee for Uplay (that would be horrendous for anything)
-It might be required for the multiplayer
-I don't see why it would cause problems, although Uplay for PC is a lot worse than Uplay for consoles

Well, then I guess I'm not missing much.
I'll pick someone randomly and I'll PM him/her the code to redeem it for the game of their choice. (NA only)

Counterpoint: WWHD is my favourite Zelda. The improvements they made over the GC version (which I got kind of bored of) were a huge difference imo. It's so much smoother to play and is absolutely jaw-dropping now. I had an absolute blast from beginning to end and came as close to 100%ing it as I could.

So much so that I picked up Twilight Princess right after...and found it kind of a grind. Not bad or anything, but it took me months to plow through. I can understand why people would click with that one, but I wouldn't rate it above WWHD, which is just about the most charming game in existence.

Roo

Counterpoint: WWHD is my favourite Zelda. The improvements they made over the GC version (which I got kind of bored of) were a huge difference imo. It's so much smoother to play and is absolutely jaw-dropping now. I had an absolute blast from beginning to end and came as close to 100%ing it as I could.

So much so that I picked up Twilight Princess right after...and found it kind of a grind. Not bad or anything, but it took me months to plow through. I can understand why people would click with that one, but I wouldn't rate it above WWHD, which is just about the most charming game in existence.

So would you recommend to get it and give it a try?
Like I said, I'm not really a Zelda fan and TP didn't help at all.
I guess I'll watch some gameplay first to see if it's worth it.

jmizzal

Thanks!

No you dont have to pay for Uplay

Uplay is not necessary for the game at all, Uplay is cool if you play a lot of Ubisoft games since you get points to unlock content in the games by using the Uplay app on WiiU, but your points can be spread across PC and other consoles

Uplay does not cause any game problems, and no reason to worry about account ID theft since your not spending money using a CC on it

Only sign up if you plan on using Uplay points otherwise no reason.

So would you recommend to get it and give it a try?
Like I said, I'm not really a Zelda fan and TP didn't help at all.
I guess I'll watch some gameplay first to see if it's worth it.

Tastes are obviously subjective, but it's one of the most revered games Nintendo's ever made and it controls like butter with the gamepad, so I don't think you can really go wrong with it.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Unfortunately I found WW & TP each had their own set of problems. TP took forever between dungeons, but the first couple dungeons were amazing (I thought the later ones weren't as good though). WW had a great atmosphere, but I felt it just a bit empty thanks to the sea, etc. WWHD might make this better, but I still think each game had its own big flaws. There's a reason OOT is so beloved. While there are a ton of improvements in later games, OOT is still likely the most well-rounded of the 3D Zelda games and they managed to do that on their first try.

LaNaranja

What do you guys the chances are of Nintendo revealing and releasing a new Mario Strikers for Wii U with the World Cup being this year and all?

onilink88

For all the charm that Wind Waker has, none of it makes up for the fact that the dungeons are blase and uninspired, and the overworld consists mostly of a monotonous mass of blue nothing, with the rest of it relegated to essentially glorified chunks of rock that are so generously referred to as "islands". And the HD remaster amends none of these very egregious faults (not that I expected it to).

If you're a newcomer to the TLoZ series, then you can't really go wrong with Twilight Princess and/or Majora's Mask, and I would highly suggest experiencing those before WW/HD.

For all the charm that Wind Waker has, none of it makes up for the fact that the dungeons are blase and uninspired, and the overworld consists mostly of a monotonous mass of blue nothing, with the rest of it relegated to essentially glorified chunks of rock that are so generously referred to as "islands". And the HD remaster amends none of these very egregious faults (not that I expected it to).

If you're a newcomer to the TLoZ series, then you can't really go wrong with Twilight Princess and/or Majora's Mask, and I would highly suggest experiencing those before WW/HD.

I disagree. The overworld in Wind Waker is filled with quirky secrets and cool unique islands. I couldn't say the same about Twilight Princess. The overworld in TP is empty and boring.

greg400

Banned
The dungeons are definitely much weaker in Wind Waker than they are in Twilight Princess, there's pretty much no comparison. The overworlds for both really aren't that great outside of the rare minigame you can find. I'd say this is more of a toss-up (or maybe slight edge to WW) than anything else now that the Swift Sail is implemented.

Effect

Not likely unless they're doing the ultimate stealth release at E3.

What do you guys the chances are of Nintendo revealing and releasing a new Mario Strikers for Wii U with the World Cup being this year and all?

Possible. They've announced games and then released two to three months later in the past. If they did release on it would come out after the world cup was over though. Unless they did a eShop first release and then a retail release later in the summer. They did that with Wii Fit U and Wii Sports Club.

If Nintendo can get the World Cup license, I so want a Mario & Sonic at the Brazil World Cup, guest starring Pokemon, developed by Next Level Games, on Wii U:

ibzJKN06SADIkH.jpg

onilink88

I disagree. The overworld in Wind Waker is filled with quirky secrets and cool unique islands. I couldn't say the same about Twilight Princess. The overworld in TP is empty and boring.

Twilight Princess' overworld should have been more dense, yes. But at least there's some manner of geographical and architectural diversity, something that lends tremendously to making exploration more compelling. Tell me to sail fifty meters in any direction in Wind Waker, and I know exactly what I'll see along the way there, as well as what I'll see when I get there; it doesn't make for a particularly engaging experience. This criticism isn't just aimed at WW, but at most, if not all, open bodies of water ever featured in games.

Take Eryth Sea from Xenoblade, for example. It is, fault for fault, just as terrible as Wind Waker's Great Sea. Compare it against literally any of the other areas in the game, and you'll see it comes up short for the very reasons mentioned above. The most talented environment artists in the industry couldn't do anything of interest with it, and that's because, by nature, open bodies of water are bland.

Sendou

If Nintendo can get the World Cup license, I so want a Mario & Sonic at the Brazil World Cup, guest starring Pokemon, developed by Next Level Games, on Wii U:

ibzJKN06SADIkH.jpg

I don't know what Sonic (and his shitty friends) would bring to the table. Mario & Sonic at Olympics is only like that because Sega develops it. That said Next Level Games working on some kind of Mario Football game just makes sense.

Riki

Twilight Princess' overworld should have been more dense, yes. But at least there's some manner of geographical and architectural diversity, something that lends tremendously to making exploration more compelling. Tell me to sail fifty meters in any direction in Wind Waker, and I know exactly what I'll see along the way there, as well as what I'll see when I get there; it doesn't make for a particularly engaging experience. This criticism isn't just aimed at WW, but at most, if not all, open bodies of water ever featured in games.

Take Eryth Sea from Xenoblade, for example. It is, fault for fault, just as terrible as Wind Waker's Great Sea. Compare it against literally any of the other areas in the game, and you'll see it comes up short for the very reasons mentioned above. The most talented environment artists in the industry couldn't do anything of interest with it, and that's because, by nature, open bodies of water are bland.
But it had amazing music and the best night time skybox.

onilink88

But it had amazing music and the best night time skybox.

Honestly, it's wasted on the worst area in the game. Move the High Entia and Alcamoth (or nuke it; I doubt it'd be missed), Eryth Sea's unique weather pattern (not the actual skybox), and its music to the Bionis' Shoulder, and you have something rivaling Gaur Plains.

Sailing is so dope. You miss the point if you think it's empty. It's a sea lol. It's not like the game is short on content or anything.

I'm very aware of the point that it's a sea and supposed to be large and empty, but that doesn't somehow exempt it from my criticism and reproach.

Laieon

I love the great sea, incredibly relaxing and a ton of things to see. I understand why people wouldn't though.

TP's overworld was incredibly forgettable though.

Sendou

Sailing is so dope. You miss the point if you think it's empty. It's a sea lol. It's not like the game is short on content or anything.

Some Nobody

Okay, so for those who think X is coming out this year, what's your bet on the month. Keep in mind, regardless of your personal feelings about the game (I'm personally super hyped for it), it is not a big title. Saying November/December "because Holiday" is being silly.

Sendou

Okay, so for those who think X is coming out this year, what's your bet on the month. Keep in mind, regardless of your personal feelings about the game (I'm personally super hyped for it), it is not a big title. Saying November/December "because Holiday" is being silly.

X and Zelda U in November
SSB4 in December

That's just how I roll.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

SSB being "Winter 2014" means it will come in December. So I could see X being in November. If SSB is November, then X is either October or December. Bayo 2 is probably August-September.

RiggyRob

X for October, Smash for November, surprise for December.

Some Nobody

X for October, Smash for November, surprise for December.

I'm gonna go with this. Nintendo's at a point where they basically release one game per quarter. Q1 was DKC:TF. Q2 is MK8. Q3 will be Bayo 2, I guess. Then Q4 will be some massive blowout of X, Smash, and possibly some surprise game we haven't even heard of.

Do you know if Ghost's numbers are higher, about the same, or less?
Average for Ghosts is around 1200 people.

Free For All, Team Deathmatch, Infected and Domination are all easy to find matches.

Double XP weekend usually brings around 2000 or so. If you play Infected around 6pm, there's usually tons of Japanese people on, which is pretty awesome.

Effect

Average for Ghosts is around 1200 people.

Free For All, Team Deathmatch, Infected and Domination are all easy to find matches.

Double XP weekend usually brings around 2000 or so. If you play Infected around 6pm, there's usually tons of Japanese people on, which is pretty awesome.

Thanks. Sounds similar to when I last played. Wasn't sure how well it was holding up. The decrease in numbers for BO2 hopefully means people made the switch to Ghosts. Though it could also mean they simply stopped playing and moved on to something else. Wish others had given Splinter Cell more of a chance. I really liked that game. I really do need to give it more attention. When I finish up Batman: Arkham City (currently 72% complete on the main story but have a total 32% done of the entire game) I plan on finishing up Splinter Cell. Might just finish up the main story and then go back to Harley's Revenge at a later point.

With Splinter Cell I think the last mission I complete was mission 4. I think I stopped playing after finishing that because I felt it was kind of a BS mission and the first time I had an issue with how the game was setup. Until then when I die it was because I felt I did something wrong or didn't move quickly enough. The wave based section in that mission toward the end pissed me off because I was glad the game just didn't have that or I felt it didn't have it until that moment. Maybe enough time has pasted for me to look at the game again.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Http://www.callofduty.com/content/dam/atvi/callofduty/advanced/common/sprite.png

Wii U logo asset stashed away on their site.

Reported on gonintendo.

To see for yourself, go to the preorder page in Chrome, right click one of the social media icons, and choose "inspect element". The left pane shows references to the image in the HTML, and the right pane has a link to the image.

I wonder if they'll announce it or not, and if yes, if it will be around September as usual.
They offered an ehsop update for Ghosts, but looking at Batman and AC jumping out the sinking ship doesn't make me so confident.
I'd hope to see it, considering how wiimote and offtv are crucial for my COD playthrough (for various reasons).
I liked the single player stroy mode of Ghosts and Advanced warfare seems to push a lot in that direction.

Effect

If Mario Kart 8 is a success and early reports of Wii U systems flying off the shelves along with the game come in I wouldn't be surprised if it's announced before E3 kicks off. Or announced during E3. If it doesn't happen by then I wouldn't count on getting it sadly. Which is a shame since even though I'm trying of online multiplayer, the way CoD presents it, I enjoy the single player campaigns as well.

Which makes it all the more important that whatever Retro Studios is working on isn't another platformer at the very least is action based with some shooting. Either FPS or TPS. Nintendo needs to start diversifying their content offerings because 3rd parties will not be there to do so. Especially if Iwata is serious when he says that satisfying Wii U owners is important before attempt to sell them a new console in the future.

xandaca

I wonder if they'll announce it or not, and if yes, if it will be around September as usual.
They offered an ehsop update for Ghosts, but looking at Batman and AC jumping out the sinking ship doesn't make me so confident.
I'd hope to see it, considering how wiimote and offtv are crucial for my COD playthrough (for various reasons).
I liked the single player stroy mode of Ghosts and Advanced warfare seems to push a lot in that direction.

Might it not just be a lingering asset from Ghosts? It seems insanely unlikely that Activision would bring another COD over given how poorly the previous two sold.

Regarding Effect's comment above, Nintendo need to diversify their portfolio not only to fill the third party void, but because if Nintendo made more games in popular, traditionally non-Nintendo genres, it would probably encourage publishers to port their games over knowing that there's some familiarity and interest there given many Wii U owners only really play Nintendo games.

Effect

Might it not just be a lingering asset from Ghosts? It seems insanely unlikely that Activision would bring another COD over given how poorly the previous two sold.

Regarding Effect's comment above, Nintendo need to diversify their portfolio not only to fill the third party void, but because if Nintendo made more games in popular, traditionally non-Nintendo genres, it would probably encourage publishers to port their games over knowing that there's some familiarity and interest there given many Wii U owners only really play Nintendo games.

Oh I agree. If publishers/developers see Nintendo making an effort to get more of their customer base interested in more genres then they'll feel more comfortable about releasing their games. The know some will buy them not but not enough. Things would be better on this front I think but Nintendo just gave that up on doing that on the Wii after the first batch of games it seems. However if they do this we likely won't see a huge pay off until the next system. All the more reason to do it now. It's about making sure the next system performs better and requires action now. If the Wii U has a turn around in the process then great. That's best case scenario. It might not even happen even if Nintendo does everything right. One should be prepared for that I I think and why Nintendo should just assume that support won't be there I feel.

As soon as the series drops PS360 though, forget about it.

Oh without a doubt.

prag16

Banned

It's on the Advanced Warfare page, and it isn't a copy/paste of anything from the Ghosts page that I can tell.

Anyway, as I said before it's a low risk port, and BO2 and Ghosts probably even scraped out slight profit (unless the ports were way more expensive than a couple million bucks).

I wouldn't even be totally shocked if the PS360 AC variant this year gets a Wii U version (though it's more likely they'll just chuck the late Watch_Dogs port in AC's release slot and call it a year).

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Played some Excitebots for the first time in years today, I really hope we can get another Excite truck/bots for the Wii U.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
It's on the Advanced Warfare page, and it isn't a copy/paste of anything from the Ghosts page that I can tell.

Anyway, as I said before it's a low risk port, and BO2 and Ghosts probably even scraped out slight profit (unless the ports were way more expensive than a couple million bucks).

I wouldn't even be totally shocked if the PS360 AC variant this year gets a Wii U version (though it's more likely they'll just chuck the late Watch_Dogs port in AC's release slot and call it a year).

Someone in another thread actually mentioned that the guys at Treyarch are huge Nintendo fans, so at the very least they'd like to do the ports. I think Nintendo has a deal w/ Activision to keep releasing CoD on the Wii U. It seems low-risk enough and it's not like it was really stocked at any store...

prag16

Banned
Someone in another thread actually mentioned that the guys at Treyarch are huge Nintendo fans, so at the very least they'd like to do the ports. I think Nintendo has a deal w/ Activision to keep releasing CoD on the Wii U. It seems low-risk enough and it's not like it was really stocked at any store...

Not that it would have changed anything, but stores like Target and Walmart not bothering to even stock AC4, Splinter Cell, Ghosts, etc in many locations (all locations?)... that certainly robbed a few sales here and there.

Sad state of affairs.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Not that it would have changed anything, but stores like Target and Walmart not bothering to even stock AC4, Splinter Cell, Ghosts, etc in many locations (all locations?)... that certainly robbed a few sales here and there.

Sad state of affairs.

I think Target actually stocked Splinter Cell. I think that was the last T/M third party game that was stocked though. Target simply seems like it's trying to get rid of the stock of all those old Wii U games from 2012/early 2013 before they even consider getting the new ones.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
And Hyrule Warriors in September.

I'd be very very very very ok with this.

I'd rather they spread it out a bit. Otherwise you have Mario Kart 8 and then no games for July/August (MK8 basically releases in June). Something like July, September, Nov. & Dec. Or maybe just July, Sep., Oct, and late Nov.

onilink88

The ass end of 2014 (mid-November to December), because a game of that ambition would need every second it can get in the oven. It would also benefit from the holiday boost (something it sorely needs).

Riki

The ass end of 2014 (mid-November to December), because a game of that ambition would need every second it can get in the oven. It would also benefit from the holiday boost (something it sorely needs).
Add to that, even if you think it's not a big title, Nintendo can market it as one.
You have guns and giant monsters and mechs.
Give it some awesome trailers and you could get people talking.

Some Nobody

I'd rather they spread it out a bit. Otherwise you have Mario Kart 8 and then no games for July/August (MK8 basically releases in June). Something like July, September, Nov. & Dec. Or maybe just July, Sep., Oct, and late Nov.

Hyrule Warriors in August.
X in September
Bayo 2 in October
Smash in November

Legend of Zelda in December. Yes, I'm a dreamer.

Top Bottom