• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Yagami_Sama

Talking about Assassin's Creed 4, I bought it a few day ago, and voice acting is not working on cut scene dialogue, during the games it happens normally but when enter in a scene there are no voice acting, the lips are moving but not a word is spoken.

Did someone face the same issue ?

I only have Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter 3 (Which I've put pretty much no time into), and Ducktales Remastered, decided I needed some more games to justify my purchase. I was surprised at how cheap some games were on Amazon.

Ordered Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Not a huge fan of fighting games, but I was willing to give it a shot) and Call of Duty Black Ops 2 ($10 on Amazon seemed more than fair, especially since I'm only really interested in the campaign, hopefully I'm not missing too many references to BO1, because the last CoD game I played was MW2).

Thinking of ordering Assassin's Creed 4 come my next payday (The only other game in the series I've played is 3, and I actually really enjoyed it), and I have Mario Kart 8 coming at the end of the month, probably going to get Pikmin 3 for my free game.

I still need to track down a copy of Nintendoland as well, only because Mario Chase or whatever that mini game is called is incredibly addicting.

Assassins Creed 4 is a really good game. It's the only entry in the series I liked, and I really liked it. That should tell you about the quality of this game. Loved the setting.

They really should create a new IP totally focused on pirates IMO. Loved the setting.

I borrowed Pikmin 3 and played it a little. Think of a gorgeous game. The game is not very forgiving. Lazy and slow people will have their asses kicked (or should I say their hearts?) in this game. Seeing all the cute Pikmin dying and their poor souls flying away is so sad. Coop is very fun too, loved it.

ozfunghi

I borrowed Pikmin 3 and played it a little. Think of a gorgeous game. The game is not very forgiving. Lazy and slow people will have their asses kicked (or should I say their hearts?) in this game. Seeing all the cute Pikmin dying and their poor souls flying away is so sad. Coop is very fun too, loved it.

I don't understand, how one can think of Pikmin3 as not being forgiving, at least story mode. Even if you are slacking, you'll still have enough juice to squander a few days on growing back an army. That being said, the other modes are a lot harder (at least if you want to get platinum medals).

Pikmin is the best game on the platform. Everybody should get it.

I played two weeks ago and didn't have any problem finding a match so I guess the community is healthy enough to find a decent group of players.

Cool man, thanks for the response. Been playing a lot of Ghost son my PS4 lately, but kind of looking for something for the evenings where the missus is watching the tv. I got the vita or the Wii U sitting here, but I'm ruling Declassified out haha, so I figured BO2 on the Wii U was maybe a good shout over remote play of ghosts.

Zalman

How is AC4 on the Wii U? I'm currently debating whether to get it for Wii U or my future PS4. PS4 obviously has sharper graphics, but I love me some off-TV play. I've seen some graphics comparisons online, but the difference doesn't seem to be too big. Any opinions on this?

prag16

Banned
How is AC4 on the Wii U? I'm currently debating whether to get it for Wii U or my future PS4. PS4 obviously has sharper graphics, but I love me some off-TV play. I've seen some graphics comparisons online, but the difference doesn't seem to be too big. Any opinions on this?

The difference isn't too drastic. I owned the Wii U version, and played the PS4 version for a couple hours at a friend's house. PS4 is definitely sharper and smoother, but in my opinion it's not night and day. You can get it cheap for Wii U now, and off TV play is indeed nice. If you're interested in the game, it's probably worthwhile.

tebunker

Banned

I can't speak to how it compares but I can definitely say that it looks good on WiiU and runs well with occasional dips. Also there is something to be said about dumping all HUD on the gamepad and having pristine game play only display on the tv.

The biggest thing you will miss out on is the lack of DLC. It was disappointing to not get it, but the way I see it Ubisoft just saved me money. After 50 plus hours with AC IV I was ready to move on anyways.

Birathen

I borrowed a friends PS4 version at launch but bought it for WiiU. The difference is not something I thought about/noticed. Granted there was a few weeks between playing the two versions and Im one of those who would have trouble telling Super Mario Bros 2 and 3D World apart
slight exaggeration

Effect

Remember when there wasn't enough to play. Not there are to many games I want to play and not enough time to play them! Still need to finish Splinter Cell and Batman Arkham City.

It plays well. Graphically the PS4 version looks better but not by much. It's most noticeable I think during the raining and storms and even then you have to put them side by side. The problem, if it is even a problem, is that the Wii U version didn't get any of the post release DLC. It got the pre-order dlc and I think they can be bought. Been a while since I looked at the eShop page. However just on how it runs and looks it's good.

I have more of an issue with the pacing in the game and the story itself in but others seem to be okay with it. I prefer Assassin's Creed 3 more then AC4. I had a lot of problems with AC4 content wise the more I played the game (I did finish it before I sold it). I also found many of the reviews were hypocritical regarding the game. Overlooking big flaws in the game, ignoring issues they claimed to have problems with in AC3 even though the exact same things exist in AC4 in the same manner. The pirating and sailing got so much praise that all the things that people claimed to have issues with in past games, that they claimed made AC3 so horrible is just overlooked. I guess my main issue is that when take as various individual parts there are good moments in the game. Some missions that stand out. Taken as a whole and when it comes connecting the various parts together it's bad. Not just disappointing but outright bad I feel.

Just reporting that I got Splinter Cell BL and it is not a big looker but gets the job done, and from my time with the game no slowdowns at the moment, pretty smooth and cool gamepad implementation. Really liking the game, it can be a cool distraction from Nintendo 1st party games.

Recently I finished DKC TF and what a fucking game, blown away!! It is the platformer to beat. Still need to finish the extra levels from world 4 onwards and I did the first 2 levels on time trial, damn, feels like another game and the game´s design shines here.

Also recently beated SM3DW, also very impressed but my favorite game is DKC TF. Still have to beat the extra content.

So, I have W101, LoZ WW HD, Splinter Cell BL and Darksiders 2. MK8 coming with a free Pikmin 3. I have Super Metroid and SMW on the VC to beat and Runner 2 on the indie side.

So many great gaming experiences, very satisfied with my Wii U.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Just reporting that I got Splinter Cell BL and it is not a big looker but gets the job done, and from my time with the game no slowdowns at the moment, pretty smooth and cool gamepad implementation. Really liking the game, it can be a cool distraction from Nintendo 1st party games.

Recently I finished DKC TF and what a fucking game, blown away!! It is the platformer to beat. Still need to finish the extra levels from world 4 onwards and I did the first 2 levels.

Also recently beated SM3DW, also very impressed but my favorite game is DKC TF. Still have to beat the extra content.

So, I have W101, LoZ WW HD, Splinter Cell BL and Darksiders 2. MK8 coming with a free Pikmin 3. I have Super Metroid and SMW on the VC to beat and Runner 2 on the indie side.

So many great gaming experiences, very satisfied with my Wii U.
Nintendo Land (best new arcade experience I've had in a long time) and WW HD (which I finally finished after a 10 year break from the original) make it a perfectly valid console for me. Everything else on the WiiU is in the 'sheer gravy' category ; ] And yes, we now have an indies haven on a home nintendo, as slowly as they started with DSiWare and WiiWare.

Alright GAF, I just preordered the WiiU Mario Kart 8 bundle. I want to play some nice, age appropriate games with my wife and 4 year old son. Looking forward to him playing with the steering wheel. I just hope that he can figure out the acceleration controls.

Effect

One Piece Unlimited World Red got a release date of 7/8 for the US. It's still 6/27 for Europe and 6/12 for Japan.

This reminds me I really need to take the time to either read or watch One Piece. I started back in college a number of years ago but didn't stick with it.

I'm hoping this will be accessible to those that haven't followed the series all that closely. I am liking what I'm seeing though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uohkYxCcgvQ

Yagami_Sama

That One Piece game looks so beatiful, that forced me to read the manga. And in all this years I never had any interest in this serie

prag16

Banned
Changing gears a little bit, anybody have any idea on the future of LEGO Star Wars games? Does EA have the rights to those too? I can't imagine them NOT doing a LEGO game tied into some of Disney's new Star Wars stuff. And in turn I can't imagine a LEGO game NOT appearing on Nintendo platforms. EA having vacated Nintendo platforms, I wonder what happens here..

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Changing gears a little bit, anybody have any idea on the future of LEGO Star Wars games? Does EA have the rights to those too? I can't imagine them NOT doing a LEGO game tied into some of Disney's new Star Wars stuff. And in turn I can't imagine a LEGO game NOT appearing on Nintendo platforms. EA having vacated Nintendo platforms, I wonder what happens here..

I'd assume the Wii U would likely get those games. Lego games on Wii U have been selling well, and EA likes money. I assume Lego would have some say in it, so EA could get away with making the game on Wii U saying something like "oh it's because we don't own Lego" =P.

jmizzal

I think somebody said that EA only has to rights to "Core" Star Wars games, not all star wars game, meaning the so called hardcore games like Battlefront.

Like Disney infinite Star Wars wont be made by EA

According to Tesco UK Watch Dogs will be released on July 31st.

Prob a placeholder, but I hope at E3 they do show off the WiiU version and give a release date since the other versions will be out already

prag16

Banned
I think somebody said that EA only has to rights to "Core" Star Wars games, not all star wars game, meaning the so called hardcore games like Battlefront.

That kind of rings a bell as something we heard after the EA deal. Perhaps LEGO Star Wars games will be put out by Traveller's Tales and WB.

I went on Black Ops II yesterday - it still has around 500 players at any given time, which means you can still get a match whenever you want...as long as it's team death match.

Still fun too.

cacildo

Finally got my copies of Need for speed most wanted ($20) and mass effect 3 ($10)

Need for speed is really pretty. Having a good time with it, but i still dont get the online part.

Mass effect seems lile a nice game, with a lot of options and interesting things to do, seems different than most Ps3/x360 games. Im enjoying it, and for $10 it was like the second cheapest wiiu game on amazon canada ( and the first one was 007 legends)

Yazoo91

Neo Member
I can't decide between Wii Party U and WW HD to get free with Mario Kart 8. I'm leaning towards WW since it's still the more expensive of the 2 to buy but I've never played a Zelda game before, is it a good one to start with?

maxcriden

I can't decide between Wii Party U and WW HD to get free with Mario Kart 8. I'm leaning towards WW since it's still the more expensive of the 2 to buy but I've never played a Zelda game before, is it a good one to start with?

WPU is alright and everything, but WWHD is absolutely a good entry point into the series and will offer plenty more content. Plus, you're much more likely to find WPU much cheaper than WWHD. It's a polarizing Zelda, but I do think it's a really good one to start off with.

RiggyRob

The story's fairly self-contained other than a few references that originate from the older games, you shouldn't have a problem playing it before any other Zelda game.

Oh also, you should be buying Wii Party U physically anyway since it comes with a controller.

Riki

You've never played a Zelda before?
You need WWHD in your life immediately.

WWHD is incredible, hands down one of the best entries in the series. No Wii U is complete without it.

Absolutely get WW HD. It's my favorite Zelda game ever, and a beautiful port.

Wii Party U is rather bland. Feels more like a sideproject than a Nintendogame. The only reason to get it is the bundled remote. Since you won´t get one with the downloadcode, Wind Waker is the way to go.

Mory Dunz

Got W101 and Xenoblade (finally) this week.

W101 is sooo good, and everything is high octane. I'm not going to look at the metacritic because it's likely too low.

Xenoblade is amazing too. It has almost too many systems. It feels it has systems from other RPGs that were the main attraction in those games, and put them all in one game. The NPC affinity, Team Affinity, Arts, Skills, Gem Crafting, Loot,

And not to mention the exploration.

After finally playing Xenoblade and looking at the X gameplay trailer, X looks to be a spiritual successor in every way possible. Even the HUD (and grass) look similar. I'm not sure where all the MMO and no story stuff came from about X. Maybe because the main characters look to be customizable, but I don't think that means the game can't have a narrative. And the "Huge Succeeded" is just the tension system it looks like.

Maybe the wild guesses about X came from people who didn't play Xenoblade I suppose. Can't wait.

Riki

Got W101 and Xenoblade (finally) this week.

W101 is sooo good, and everything is high octane. I'm not going to look at the metacritic because it's likely too low.

Xenoblade is amazing too. It has almost too many systems. It feels it has systems from other RPGs that were the main attraction in those games, and put them all in one game. The NPC affinity, Team Affinity, Arts, Skills, Gem Crafting, Loot,

And not to mention the exploration.

After finally playing Xenoblade and looking at the X gameplay trailer, X looks to be a spiritual successor in every way possible. Even the HUD (and grass) look similar. I'm not sure where all the MMO and no story stuff came from about X. Maybe because the main characters look to be customizable, but I don't think that means the game can't have a narrative. And the "Huge Succeeded" is just the tension system it looks like.

Maybe the wild guesses about X came from people who didn't play Xenoblade I suppose. Can't wait.
I envy you. All that amazing gaming goodness.
And yes, X will play a lot like Xenoblade and probably be the best RPG of the generation like XB was.

Roo

Too bad the American selection of games from the Mario Kart 8 promotion is so limited.
I already have New Super Mario Bros. U, Wii Party U and Pikmin 3 and I never liked LoZ that much (the series in general) So I don't know if I should redeem the code to get Wind Waker or just give it away lol

I tried both versions of Twilight Princess and I wasn't impressed.. at all.

Riki

Too bad the American selection of games from the Mario Kart 8 promotion is so limited.
I already have New Super Mario Bros. U, Wii Party U and Pikmin 3 and I never liked LoZ that much (the series in general) So I don't know if I should redeem the code to get Wind Waker or just give it away lol

I tried both versions of Twilight Princess and I wasn't impressed.. at all.

Wind Waker is so much better than TP.

kunonabi

WW is firmly behind TP and SS for me. OoT is still at the bottom in my eyes. Haven't finished MM so I'm not sure where that one sits yet.

Started playing some Nintendoland again and working on Metroid Blast stamps. Might do co-op to get the last couple.

Malus

WW is firmly behind TP and SS for me.

Definitely agree. The massive fetch quest and the amount of empty space in the overworld were big negatives. It looked great, played great, and sounded great, but the content was lacking compared to other Zelda titles imo.

I wouldn't mind an amalgam of sea and land areas for the next Zelda. Varied land area about the size of TP's Hyrule and a sea area maybe about a third the size of the great sea with islands peppering the play area.

Not every square inch has to be populated or busy. Just find some way to make exploration meaningful like in Xenoblade.

Roo

Wind Waker was good but its my least fav 3D Zelda game, I liked TP a whole lot more

WW is firmly behind TP and SS for me. OoT is still at the bottom in my eyes. Haven't finished MM so I'm not sure where that one sits yet.

Started playing some Nintendoland again and working on Metroid Blast stamps. Might do co-op to get the last couple.

Twilight Princess is the best 3D Zelda. Unsurpassed dungeon design.

Definitely agree. The massive fetch quest and the amount of empty space in the overworld were big negatives. It looked great, played great, and sounded great, but the content was lacking compared to other Zelda titles imo.
Well, then I guess I'm not missing much.
I'll pick someone randomly and I'll PM him/her the code to redeem it for the game of their choice. (NA only)

Top Bottom