• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U games preorders attach rate doubling Wii's one at Gamestop

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
One of the biggest problems with Nintendo's original Wii was its low attach rate. Nintendo may have expanded its audience far beyond a typical video game console owner with demographic barrier-destroying games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but the problem was, a lot of those customers never bothered to buy more games.

It's too early to tell whether that situation is going to change with the Wii U, but at the very least, things are looking good prior to this Sunday's launch.

GameStop reports that it's currently sitting on 1.2 million preorders for Wii U games on top of the 500,000 consoles it was allocated (all of which were almost immediately reserved when they went up for preorder back in September).

That's an attach rate of 2.4 games for every console, which the company says is more than double what it saw leading up to the launch of the original Wii.

This is certainly attributable to a much stronger third-party lineup this time around. The company says preorders were led by (in no particular order, we imagine) Ubisoft's Zombie U and Assassin's Creed 3, Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Warner Bros.' Scribblenauts Unlimited, and Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. U.

By comparison, the original Wii's strongest launch title (not including the packed-in Wii Sports) was The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Third-party support included titles like Rayman: Raving Rabbids and Red Steel.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...:+GamasutraNews+(Gamasutra+News)#.UKU31OToSSo

Orayn

Makes sense, Wii U's launch lineup is much better; More core titles and what looks to be pretty good Mario game from day one.

I'm definitely getting more games after reviews and GAF impressions. For now I only feel good about paying for Mario, it's the "safest" bet for me, but if things are favorable for stuff like Black Ops II and Assassin's III, I will be all over them.

Mpl90

What's interesting is the number of units allocated ( and preordered). I mean, 500k just for Gamestop seems like a massive amount of consoles, no?

iammeiam

500K launch consoles just for GameStop? Seriously? Wasn't Wii 600-700k total for NA at launch? Holy fuck.

But, yeah, I'm in for two launch titles, up from just Zelda on the Wii.

methodman

Banned
500K launch consoles just for GameStop? Seriously? Wasn't Wii 600-700k total for NA at launch? Holy fuck.

But, yeah, I'm in for two launch titles, up from just Zelda on the Wii.

Ya I remember the Wii being 600k total for all of na on launch day or something. Holy shit at 500k just for gamestop.

Remember too that Wii's initial push was very much "expanded audience" that was only interested in Wii Sports. Most people aren't getting the Wii U for Nintendo Land... I expect the premium version with it packaged will be more of a nice surprise than something people actively seek out.

Matt

Wait...what? Just GameStop is getting 500,000 units on launch day, ALL of which are pre-ordered? That would make the Wii U BY FAR the most successful system launch of all time.

Take into account the standard edition doesn't come with Nintendoland, a game, so it's fair to say nearly everyone who buys the std ed will buy a game with it. Every Wii came with Wii Sports.

Mmmm tears.

It's not tears at all. I know more people that bought a Wii for Wii Sports and absolutely nothing else than I know people that bought games for it. People buying the Wii U most likely are into games more than the experience of the pack-in.

MG310

Makes sense given that there's probably more basic models out there than deluxe so people will need to buy a game.

It's not tears at all. I know more people that bought a Wii for Wii Sports and absolutely nothing else than I know people that bought games for it. People buying the Wii U most likely are into games more than the experience of the pack-in.
Apparently I'm not allowed to be real even though I'm getting a Wii U on Sunday.

TunaLover

Take into account the standard edition doesn't come with Nintendoland, a game, so it's fair to say nearly everyone who buys the std ed will buy a game with it. Every Wii came with Wii Sports.
I think there are more deluxe bundles than basic ones.

Remember too that Wii's initial push was very much "expanded audience" that was only interested in Wii Sports. Most people aren't getting the Wii U for Nintendo Land... I expect the premium version with it packaged will be more of a nice surprise than something people actively seek out.

Let's wait for the sales results before we say most people aren't getting Nintendoland

I think Nintendoland will sell over 1million before the end of march in the US.

Decent 3rd party out of the gate (Blops2, AC3) would do that. I mean, if I bought a Wii U I would definitely have gotten AC3 for it along with the Mario game and something for the kid.

What's interesting is the number of units allocated ( and preordered). I mean, 500k just for Gamestop seems like a massive amount of consoles, no?
Makes sense to me. My friend just texted me the numbers of instock units for Wal Marts within a 30 mile radius of him in Covina, CA. 1,309 units "sold" (as in preordered consoles). One store had 62(!) alone. His store has 34 units in with 40 on order

Mpl90

Makes sense to me. My friend just texted me the numbers of instock units for Wal Marts within a 30 mile radius of him in Covina, CA. 1,309 units "sold" (as in preordered consoles). One store had 62(!) alone. His store has 34 units in with 40 on order

Mmmh...wow.

Let's wait for the sales results before we say most people aren't getting Nintendoland

I think Nintendoland will sell over 1million before the end of march in the US.

I may be jumping the gun a bit, but would you count pack-ins amongst that million? I ask because we've had many many people saying that the premium is outselling the basic by a ton.

Zips

I too am curious about this 500,000 allocation to GameStop number. Wonder what the total number of consoles allocated to the different retailers is.

Top Bottom