• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U games preorders attach rate doubling Wii's one at Gamestop

FLEABttn

Banned
It's probably the most solid launch lineup since the Dreamcast so it's not really surprising. I know I'm coming home with 4 games launch day (including packed in NintendoLand).

I may be jumping the gun a bit, but would you count pack-ins amongst that million? I ask because we've had many many people saying that the premium is outselling the basic by a ton.

Yea, I didn't think of that... :/

Given the allotment amount, I don't think standalone the game will sell 1 million.

Bentendo

Wait...what? Just GameStop is getting 500,000 units on launch day, ALL of which are pre-ordered? That would make the Wii U BY FAR the most successful system launch of all time.

Yeah what in the hell is going on here. This can't be right... that seems almost impossible.

Wait what, Gamestop alone has 500,000 preorders for WiiU consoles? That sounds sorta wrong, because most of that should be from the USA (dunno about the other European countries, but atleast over here in Germany I don't think Gamestop has a big marketshare).

Yea, I didn't think of that... :/

Given the allotment amount, I don't think standalone the game will sell 1 million.

It does make judging whether the game is popular or not pretty hard... If most of the systems sold with it (premium) that means we can only judge it's sales based on the minority of system owners.

Culex

Banned
So obviously there is only so many units available at launch... Is the assumption still that Microsoft will ship more 360's for November?

Toki767

Wait what, Gamestop alone has 500,000 preorders for WiiU consoles? That sounds sorta wrong, because most of that should be from the USA (dunno about the other European countries, but atleast over here in Germany I don't think Gamestop has a big marketshare).

I don't know how their waitlist actually works. I figure people just go to every GameStop in their city to put their name down.

Kazerei

Banned
Yes, an article from 2009 is still relevant.

Wii attach rate is about 8,65 according to Nintendo's H1 2012 results. PS3 is just a bit higher with the Xbox 360 being just another bit higher.

Wii still has a good one though, 8.66 is good.

I just wanted to get numbers covering the early months, since we're talking about console launches, not lifetime.

There are more must haves and more variety amongst demographics. So its not too surprising.

Most people will get something like Mario and a 3D game.
Which is why its good Rayman shifted tbh.

if the next zelda uses the wiimote for sword play they need to give the option to use the left hand

Its difficult now because sword play is SO involved; can you have a mirror mode? That could cause confusion but am not against it.

This isn't because of a better launch lineup. It's because they're selling fewer consoles to people who only wanted the Wii as a Wii Sports Machine.

ExciteTruck!

Anyway Wii U's launch line-up is way bigger and more diversified than Wii's:

platforms: NSMBU, Trine
puzzle games: Scribblenauts, Toki tori
shemups: Nano assault
racing games: Sonic team racing
fps: Blops 2
action: NG3, Arkham city
etc.

We don't know yet how many of these launch titles are actually good, not until we play them/read reviews of them, still as for the sheer quantity of titles Wii U's line-up is evidently superior.

One of the biggest problems with Nintendo's original Wii was its low attach rate. Nintendo may have expanded its audience far beyond a typical video game console owner with demographic barrier-destroying games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but the problem was, a lot of those customers never bothered to buy more games.

In which parallel dimension?

500,000 for Gamestop alone would indicate that the predicted 300K WiiUs in November for all of the US was way off.

Is that a gaf prediction or Nintendo forecast?
300K is pretty small for launch week let alone the rest of the month and Black Friday.

In which parallel dimension?

In cheap 'BUT IT GOES AGAINST MY WORLD VIEW' meme Universe. I do think it was slightly lower; but the bigger issue is that many people were probs 100% Nintendo.

Kusagari

This entire article sounds like BS to me.

There is no way Gamestop has 500k Wii U's day one.

Even 500k preorders total sounds bizarre to me.

Is that a gaf prediction or Nintendo forecast?
300K is pretty small for launch week let alone the rest of the month and Black Friday.

It was an analyst's breakdown for worldwide November/December distribution of Wii Us. One of the factors affecting those numbers were production problems making the Wii U in China (I think it was based on workers being on strike, or maybe it was a factory fire. I forget which).

Lenardo

Banned
looking at wiiu games on gamestop and sorting by "best selling";

top ten selling wiiu games:

NSMBU is #1
ZombiU is #2
BLops2 is #3
sonic racing #4
scribblenauts #5
nintendoland #6
AC3 #7
Epic Disney 2 #8
NG3 #9
skylanders giants #10

ZombiU is -currently- selling better than Blops2.

kitsuneyo

You could also say that Wii Sports being packed in made Wii seem (to non-gamers) like a complete game system with no need to buy any more titles. WiiU isn't like that.

It was an analyst's breakdown for worldwide November/December distribution of Wii Us. One of the factors affecting those numbers were production problems making the Wii U in China (I think it was based on workers being on striker, or maybe it was a factory fire. I forget which).

Oh right yeah - I think Nintendo basically (and iirc it was both a strike/fire :D) came out and said officially that wasn't the case.

looking at wiiu games on gamestop and sorting by "best selling";

top ten selling wiiu games:

NSMBU is #1
ZombiU is #2

Great news, and I think what many people here are planning on at launch.
ZombiU should do excellent.

Boerseun

Banned
I could see myself buying ten games at Wii U launch if not for the restrictions imposed upon my time and wallet by being married, raising kids and working at the same time.

Makes sense to me. My friend just texted me the numbers of instock units for Wal Marts within a 30 mile radius of him in Covina, CA. 1,309 units "sold" (as in preordered consoles). One store had 62(!) alone. His store has 34 units in with 40 on order

Walmart has even been calling some people up and canceling their pre-orders because they're unable to fulfill it...

Half of the Wii U's (the non-delux ones) don't come with a bundled game, so it would make sense that people would also pre-order a game with it. The original Wii, as we all recall, came bundled with Wii Sports, so people did not feel the need to pre-order a game along with it.

Kevtones

Well lower that number by .00001 because I just cancelled my NSMB, Zombi, BLOPS pre-order in favor of that bitchin' Target deal.

Still, really glad to see Zombi doing well.

andthebeatgoeson

Wait, GS is being allocated 500K just with their chain? Wow. More consoles than last time, indeed.

Edit: Didn't Wii sell 500K November 2006?

andthebeatgoeson

It's funny, I see no conspiracy theorist in this thread.

It's a conspiracy to keep them out.

BTW, even if it's not a day 1 allocation, Wii sold 1.1 million in Nov & Dec 2006. I have a hard time believing they are talking about any consoles past Holiday 2012. That would be a conspiracy theory. Talking about consoles that won't sell until January.

Half of the Wii U's (the non-delux ones) don't come with a bundled game, so it would make sense that people would also pre-order a game with it. The original Wii, as we all recall, came bundled with Wii Sports, so people did not feel the need to pre-order a game along with it.

Deluxe is the higher selling unit as per several articles on gaf, so less than half of Wii U, but I agree it plays a factor.

ExciteTruck!

*brofist*

I need more awesome Nintendo published games with custom soundtrack options (not saying that feature was the best aspect of the game, far from it, just sayin)

*pours out some of his 40 for ExciteBots* No one will ever truly love you like they should

A direct sequel to Excite Truck on WiiU from Monster could be AMAZING. Expanded online, lots of options for gamepad features, tilt steering intact, richer color pallet, sense of speed up to 11. Gottdamn, that's some boner-inducing shit.

Anyway, so great to see ZombiU doing well!

*brofist*

I need more awesome Nintendo published games with custom soundtrack options (not saying that feature was the best aspect of the game, far from it, just sayin)

*pours out some of his 40 for ExciteBots* No one will ever truly love you like they should

A direct sequel to Excite Truck on WiiU from Monster could be AMAZING. Expanded online, lots of options for gamepad features, tilt steering intact, richer color pallet, sense of speed up to 11. Gottdamn, that's some boner-inducing shit

More confusing/upseting was the fact that they took it out of ExciteBots citing "possible piracy concerns" when the homebrew hacks never used Excitetruck for hacking to begin with (or even use SD card as the vector of attack, sans Super Smash Bros Brawl)

I would be happy. NSMB will have long legs and a key 3rd party game selling well is nothing but goodness for the Wii U owners. We should want decent 3rd pa
rty games to sell well.

Exactly. NSMBU will sell for AGES to come, but all eyes will be on how third parties do this season. That GS list seems very promising, as it ensures that seemingly every major 3rd party title is gonna be getting a piece of the pie this holiday

guek

Banned
wasn't the wii launch allocation in NA 1 million back in 2006?

At least, that's what I remember. Isn't nintendo trying to break their wii allocation with the U?

Top Bottom