• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U games preorders attach rate doubling Wii's one at Gamestop

Banned
Good news for Nintendo and the industry as a whole. More software sales are always better. Wiis drawback was low attach rate.

C-Drive

Supposedly Target's doing a Buy 2 Get 1 50% Off on Wii U games next week.

Can't find any evidence on the internet other than folks mentioning it though.

Pineconn

Buy a capcom game with on disc DLC and don't unlock the DLC?

jeremiahjohnson.gif

Alex

Not very surprising, the Wii was really focused around Wii Sports as the whole spectacle of the launch. There was Zelda (which, regardless of what people think of it, did debut on the Wii like a month+ before the Gamecube), but nothing really huge, I liked Trauma Center though... Can't actually remember games beyond those three.

Wii-U has a lot more broad appeal software, but without anything quite so universal. Even if they're ports of already released games things like CoD and AC will sell just because they're CoD and AC.

On a personal level, I'm a little annoyed that the stuff seeing ports, for my tastes, is largely the disappointing fare of the year. Darksiders 2, Ninja Gaiden 3, Mass Effect 3, Assassins Creed 3, etc. and none of the truly high quality stuff I'd actually want to see spread it's wings more is heading over. Like Sleeping Dogs, Xcom, or Borderlands 2. Especially surprised at no Borderlands 2.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yet they still won't have mandatory midnight releases/Sunday early opens. SMH.

On a personal level, I'm a little annoyed that the stuff seeing ports, for my tastes, is largely the disappointing fare of the year. Darksiders 2, Ninja Gaiden 3, Mass Effect 3, Assassins Creed 3, etc. and none of the truly high quality stuff I'd actually want to see spread it's wings more is heading over. Like Sleeping Dogs, Xcom, or Borderlands 2. Especially surprised at no Borderlands 2.

Borderlands 2 is such a natural fit. Not even committing to that means Wii U probably won't even get a late port of GTA V.

Akey

Banned
I'm kind of surprised Scribblenauts is on that list. I mean its 50% cheaper on pc and either way I would not have expect it to be top 5. I hope third party continues to release things on the wii u cause I'm about at the end of my rope with paying for ms gold sub.

well that's not too surpr....
sitting on 1.2 million preorders for Wii U games on top of the 500,000 consoles it was allocated
WHAAAATTT???

Half a million at launch? Just in the US? And only at Gamestop?

There has to be a decimal missing there somewhere but the 1.2 million game preorders says otherwise. holy shit.

andthebeatgoeson

WHAAAATTT???

There has to be a decimal missing there somewhere but the 1.2 million game preorders says otherwise. holy shit.

Or GAF was right and they'll only have 50K at launch and each gamestop customer will have an attachment rate of 24. ZOMG.

Eusis

Not surprising, while some smaller games were great only Twilight Princess was a popular Must Have at the Wii's launch with warning signs about Red Steel all over the place. In contrast We have NSMBU filling Twilight Princess's spot, and ZombiU being the real deal where Red Steel wasn't. Then you get people pre-ordering AC3/Batman/Darksiders 2, which CAN be the best console versions whereas the same situation wasn't guaranteed for Wii simply due to the controls being fundamentally different rather than updated.

Road

Wait what, Gamestop alone has 500,000 preorders for WiiU consoles? That sounds sorta wrong, because most of that should be from the USA (dunno about the other European countries, but atleast over here in Germany I don't think Gamestop has a big marketshare).

http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/g2seg557/lan/en

GAMESTOP said:
with nearly 500,000 customers on our Wii U reservation waitlist worldwide we are excited about the demand for Wii U. The Wii U waitlist is another example of how we are integrating PowerUp Rewards into all areas of our business. Wii U software is also reserving very strong with over 1.2 million reserved titles worldwide.

GameStop has stores 4503 stores in the US and 2180 stores across Canada, Italy, Australia, Germany, France, Spain, Sweden, UK, Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Austria, Finland, Switzerland, Portugal, New Zealand. (http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MTM5OTk3fENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1 pdf p.5)

http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/g2seg557/lan/en

GameStop has stores 4503 stores in the US and 2180 stores across Canada, Italy, Australia, Germany, France, Spain, Sweden, UK, Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Austria, Finland, Switzerland, Portugal, New Zealand. (http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MTM5OTk3fENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1 pdf p.5)
OK, that makes more sense. Still though, with that store breakdown most of the 500,000 units are going to end up in the US. That's a lot for a single retailer, especially since Walmart usually gets more than GS.

TriGen

Pretty impressive numbers. They've gotten nothing from my pre-order, though (unless they count NL on my deluxe). I plan on downloading NSMBU (2D Mario will have replay value so I want it on the system) and then picking up Little Inferno off the eShop as well. I'll wait and see on other games.

legend166

It's not tears at all. I know more people that bought a Wii for Wii Sports and absolutely nothing else than I know people that bought games for it. People buying the Wii U most likely are into games more than the experience of the pack-in.

You know that if this is the case, then for every person out there who bought a Wii with nothing but Wii Sports, there's someone who bought a Wii with 16 games?

Averages, how do they work?

I think the Wii's lifetime attach rate is maybe 1 game lower than the PS3?

Lenardo

Banned
No Tekken mention, makes me sad D:

tekken is 18th on the best selling wiiu list

You know that if this is the case, then for every person out there who bought a Wii with nothing but Wii Sports, there's someone who bought a Wii with 16 games?

then you have me, i have 3 kids(8,8,11 now), they love games. our wii attach rate is...~120 at last count including wiiware and VC games.

we'll have 6 games as of tuesday.
ac3
blobs2
zombiu
nsmbu
nintendoland
and one more- tekken, sonic, or rabbids.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Holiday and new hardware launch sales tend to follow a similar pattern. This being both in one. November sales are driven by hype, December sales by brand recognition. So I'm expecting ZombiU to be the #2 (or 3) selling game for the WiiU in November, but then to fall way back in December.

Supposedly Target's doing a Buy 2 Get 1 50% Off on Wii U games next week.

Can't find any evidence on the internet other than folks mentioning it though.
It's true. I've held the ad personally. I'm somewhat surprised pictures have been taken yet. Its
Buy 2 game get 1 50% off. Applies to all Wii U games, but only Wii U games.

Couple notes:
- This ad only runs through Wednesday and this deal is not a part of the Balck Friday 2 Day ad.
- Target prorates the discount through each title. So its technically 1/6 off each game. You can return the third game and it doesn't effect the discount of the other games.
- You must buy 3 different games.

Of course that's true. I understand completely how averages work. And then you check and see the sales numbers for what those people bought in droves. What becomes apparent immediately is why third parties ignored the Wii.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

WHAAAATTT???

Remember that Amazon isn't carrying this. That's a TON of extra inventory for B&M retailers.

P90

I have TTT2 WiiU, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Super Mario Bros. WiiU, and Skylanders WiiU on pre-order.

Top Bottom