• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: new update available (5.1.0) - Wii U to Wii U transfer + eShop controllers

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Ha, I was complaining about not being able to go on the eshop without my gamepad earlier this week.

Now the next time my dumb dog chews through my charging cable I don't have to worry!

That's weird, I was just thinking about the Wii U to Wii U transfer like an hour or 2 ago.
The controller support for the eShop is nice too, although I usually just use the gamepad for it. I'm hoping for the settings to support other controllers too (if they don't already)
Still waiting on folders though. That would be appreciated

There it is. So now that NNID can be transfered... we cool?

You need both Wii U's in your possession to do the transfer. I explained it in this post:

Wii U transfer is all or nothing. The target Wii U gets reformated and just becomes a clone of the source Wii U (save for data in Wii Mode) and the source Wii U gets factory reset. NNIDs on the target Wii U get unlinked and are free to be relinked, NNIDs from the source Wii U get automatically linked to the target Wii U

So basically, if there were any NNIDs on the target console, they get bumped off and can go wherever. NNIDs from the source get retied to the new console without having to call in. It's a half-step solution, but sort of a mediocre one.

I will say this about the hardware-tied problem: it's not as outlandish as people are making it seem to be. All digital purchases on all three major services have two identifiers attached to them when they are downloaded: user account (Gamertag, PSN ID, NNID) and console ID (Xbox console it was downloaded on, PS3 systems tied to the PSN account, Wii U the NNID is tied to). The difference is that on Xbox 360, the console ID thing is abusable, where you can sign in on a friend's 360 with your gamertag, download a game you own, and his 360 will be that game's "home" console, so he can play it without you being signed in. The PS3 system has up to two consoles tied to your account at once, with software being freely downloaded between them from one account. Also abusable, since you can just register a friend's PS3 as your second one. Nintendo's system uses the same base, but removes the ability for the user to change what console is a game's "home". The NNID is tied to a Wii U, and only Nintendo can change that on their back-end.

I should also mention that both Microsoft and Sony use a "home" system for PS4 and Xbox One, where the user sets one console as their "home," where anything bought on their account can be played by any user on the system, and any other console they sign into is the "guest" console, where anything they bought can be played for as long as they remain signed in.

You sure? Last time I heard they were still bound to the system, even with the Account System.

The NNID could always been transfered with the games tied to it. Until now you had to call the Big N but it was possible. So we always were...kinda cool.

phanphare

Banned
Wait a sec. The you don't need the gamepad to navigate the e-shop anymore?

Gamepad-less Wii U incoming. Actually, maybe not. This update doesn't say that you can navigate the system settings without the gamepad as far as I can tell, so looks like we still need the gamepad to navigate the system 100 percent.

do you know how many games, apps, and random things around the OS in general would have to be updated if they wanted a gamepad-less SKU? really think about it for a second.

suffice it to say I'm always astounded when that option gets floated around like it's the least bit logical.

rpmurphy

It looks as though the main benefit of the system transfer, as with the 3DS, is as advance preparation for future cases of users switching SKUs (e.g. going from a Basic to a Deluxe for the extra onboard storage, then selling the Basic). I still don't understand the absence of a basic method for moving save data; I still have dozens of hours worth of save files trapped on somebody else's machine, like games where I was already deep into post-completion content, that I want to move over instead of playing through those games all over again. This is basic functionality, and it's still missing.
Yeah, I don't like the inability to transfer saves. Unless you don't care or you're desperate to switch, better wait for a future update.

You sure? Last time I heard they were still bound to the system, even with the Account System.

No, we're not cool. Until I am able to DEREGISTER my NNID remotely without needing to have the Wii U I am transfering from we're not cool. I can do this on the PS3/360/PS4/X1/Vita/iPhone/Fire/etc. When I can do on the Wii U/3DS what I can on all of those then we'll be 'cool'.

epmode

Are you serious? When people talk about an account system they're talking about having the ability to download their purchased games on whichever console they're using, even if they no longer have access to the old console. Virtually every DD account system in existence allows for this, except for Nintendo.

Being able to use the store without the awful gamepad is a nice feature though.

Is my internet being slow or is it a big update? It's saying it will take almost an hour. It would be good if they said how big an update is.

M3d10n

System Transfer? Revision incoming?

Is my internet being slow or is it a big update? It's saying it will take almost an hour. It would be good if they said how big an update is.

Wii U firmware updates are dog slow to download. I'm just going to leave it in standby and hope it's done by tomorrow morning.

daydream

Banned
Heh, someone with a broken Gamepad was asking for ways to navigate the eShop with a Wiimote just a few weeks ago.

The person was actually complaining about navigating the system options, which still require the GamePad

Ha, I was complaining about not being able to go on the eshop without my gamepad earlier this week.

Now the next time my dumb dog chews through my charging cable I don't have to worry!

;)

Users can now navigate the Nintendo eShop using a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, or Classic Controller

Just bought a wii u pro. News to me that you can't do this before. kinda crazy its only accessible through the pad before lol.

Are you serious? When people talk about an account system they're talking about having the ability to download their purchased games on whichever console they're using, even if they no longer have access to the old console.

hit_nail_on_head.jpg

Trago

do you know how many games, apps, and random things around the OS in general would have to be updated if they wanted a gamepad-less SKU? really think about it for a second.

suffice it to say I'm always astounded when that option gets floated around like it's the least bit logical.

That's just one example I made I didn't feel like typing out every gamepad dependent feature of the system out lol.

Still, if they're making this possible with the update, there's no reason to believe a gamepad less sku is impossible.

braves01

Banned
A gamepad-less SKU would be the easiest way to get the price down to $199 for the holidays when Smash Bros. comes out, which is a game that coincidentally probably won't use the gamepad at all. I'd expect them to also begin selling gamepads separately at that point, maybe not at retail, however.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Can someone tell me the benefit of the WiiU transfer? It's like an all-or-nothing transfer, so if your friend had an account on your system, but then they eventually got their own, it doesn't help them or anything... And you probably need both systems present, right? So it's not necessarily like if your system was stolen, it makes you getting your stuff back easier...

M3d10n

That's just one example I made I didn't feel like typing out every gamepad dependent feature of the system out lol.

Still, if they're making this possible with the update, there's no reason to believe a gamepad less sku is impossible.

It's very unlikely because it would break a bunch of retail games. If someone purchase this Gamepad-less revision and buys a game that requires as much as a button to be pressed on the touchscreen to progress and doesn't bother to connect it online to download updates, they are screwed. Assuming that developer bothered to patch out the GamePad from their game, that is.

Muzy72

Banned
Are you kidding me? It works like 3DS system transfer? One should be able to just sign into their account on a second Wii U FFS.

Changes to Nintendo eShop:

Users can now navigate the Nintendo eShop using a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, or Classic Controller

THANK YOU.

Most annoying thing about the gamepad dying because of a crappy battery is not being able to enter the eShop unless the thing is on.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Actually my biggest complaint was that I couldn't play Shovel Knight(which has support for other controllers) without first starting the game on the gamepad. I imagine a lot of games are still like this, but I'm glad they're fixing things.

So save files aren't transferred?
I was about to pick up a Deluxe to replace my basic, but I don't want to lose my save files.

K444WSR

If somebody can clarify for me please.

I have a launch wii u basic with some eshop games on it including 2 retail games on a usb stick attached to it.

If I was to transfer it all over to my new premium wii u, will the contents on the usb transfer over as well as the NNID and vc games I have on the source wii u?

With Amiibos coming, I don't really see the gamepad being axed (unless it does really poorly, which I don't see happening thanks to the 3DS version)

So happy about the eshop change.

My niece and nephews have a broken Wii U pad. The more they give the option to not use the pad, the more they will actually be able to use the system.

Can someone tell me the benefit of the WiiU transfer? It's like an all-or-nothing transfer, so if your friend had an account on your system, but then they eventually got their own, it doesn't help them or anything... And you probably need both systems present, right? So it's not necessarily like if your system was stolen, it makes you getting your stuff back easier...

Or broken. If it won't turn on, this won't help.

They only need to update the Settings app so I can actually use the thing without the GamePad and I don't need to use the damn thing anymore before I play Brawl!

Cool, I like the Gamepad but sometimes I'd rather just use the Pro Controller. I wonder if they patched in an on-screen keyboard for the search function though.

The system transfer should have been there day one and I still don't get why they can't include an online activation/de-activation option. I get Nintendo's concerns about people using the same account on multiple systems and sharing games (even though pretty much nobody else seems to have an issue with this...) but requiring people to own their old and new system for the transfer is unreasonable.

Trago

A gamepad-less SKU would be the easiest way to get the price down to $199 for the holidays when Smash Bros. comes out, which is a game that coincidentally probably won't use the gamepad at all. I'd expect them to also begin selling gamepads separately at that point, maybe not at retail, however.

That's a similar thought that popped in my head. Smash is definitely not going to use the gamepad outside of menu navigation maybe, so just packing in a pro controller will easily shave the price.

Amiibo.

The Gamepad is not going anywhere (as they've said enough times).

Finally! One step closer to not needing to use the Gamepad at all. Now, Nintendo, please allow us the option to switch off the gamepad completely during play. E.g. if I switch my console on using my pro controller, don't turn on the gamepad unless I choose to do so.

M3d10n

Indeed. With the 3DS you have multiple colors and whatnot, so there's a reason to switch models once in a while, but there's no reason to upgrade the Wii U. The difference between the basic and the deluxe isn't meaningful enough (you'll most likely need external USB storage with both).

phanphare

Banned

it may not be "impossible" in the technical sense but it's about as close as you can get. new users just wouldn't have access to the games that use the gamepad? or will they be able to skip the gampad-only sections? or would they really patch every single game that has something that's dependent on the gamepad? think about it. 3d world. zombiU. Nintendo Land. hell Mario Kart 8 puts the map on the gamepad and not the tv screen. the youtube app. the netflix app. the internet browser. miiverse. miiverse in games. are they going to patch all of that? some of it? just ignore it and give users a list of stuff that won't work?

not to rant, it's just a pretty unrealistic idea

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Basically, if Nintendo release another limited edition console (like the Zelda Wind Waker console), you can buy it knowing that you can move your games over to it.

Top Bottom