• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: new update available (5.1.0) - Wii U to Wii U transfer + eShop controllers

Shaanyboi

Banned
Are you kidding me? It works like 3DS system transfer? One should be able to just sign into their account on a second Wii U FFS.

Seems like it. Not that it's a problem for my use, but it's a problem for people concerned about their system going to shit or something.

backlot

Having to own two functional consoles at the same time to make the transfer doesn't seem very useful. I can't think of many scenarios where I would make use of this.

I consider this a step before letting users unlink it themselves, since obviously this took some work to implement on the back-end as well. Maybe we will have movable NNIDs by the end of the Wii U's life. This is certainly a promising start
A step before? Keep dreaming, mate. This is fucking Nintendo. They just don't want you to be able to do this. Alert to Nintendo: it's 2014, wake up.

Seik

Banned
Changes to Nintendo eShop:

Users can now navigate the Nintendo eShop using a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, or Classic Controller

This was a fucking big issue for me, I'm really glad it's been fixed!

I just ALWAYS use the Pro Controller, each time I was going to the E-Shop I was all like: ''*Sigh* Okaaay.''

Now to the same thing with the console's setting! :D

Yuterald

They REALLY need to universally remove whatever saved data-lock they have on this system. It's the thing I hate most about the Wii U. The original Wii allowed users to copy saved data to a new system (aside from the handful of online-enabled games, which were locked to the hardware). There's some people out there with 100+ hour Wonderful 101 saves, ha! Ain't no one got time to re-do that shit if your system breaks down! =/

TDLink

Are you kidding me? It works like 3DS system transfer? One should be able to just sign into their account on a second Wii U FFS.

That will never happen because Nintendo doesn't want people sharing games like you can on the other systems.

What they can do barring that though is allow the ability to unlink a NNID from a system remotely and then add it to a new console. They already have this option on 3DS and can do it if you call customer support for Wii U...so I think it is likely it will happen eventually.

That will never happen because Nintendo doesn't want people sharing games like you can on the other systems.

What they can do barring that though is allow the ability to unlink a NNID from a system remotely and then add it to a new console. They already have this option on 3DS and can do it if you call customer support for Wii U...so I think it is likely it will happen eventually.

Do you support the bolded or are you just stating what you believe the reasoning is?

Trago

it may not be "impossible" in the technical sense but it's about as close as you can get. new users just wouldn't have access to the games that use the gamepad? or will they be able to skip the gampad-only sections? or would they really patch every single game that has something that's dependent on the gamepad? think about it. 3d world. zombiU. Nintendo Land. hell Mario Kart 8 puts the map on the gamepad and not the tv screen. the youtube app. the netflix app. the internet browser. miiverse. miiverse in games. are they going to patch all of that? some of it? just ignore it and give users a list of stuff that won't work?

not to rant, it's just a pretty unrealistic idea

Not really, they can certainly work towards fixing all of those problems over time. Hell, they probably are right now.

This is definitely not out of the question. Nintendo wants to sell more Wii U's, we've seen what Mario Kart 8 has done for the system during a dry period for the competition. Not all the attention will be on Smash during the holiday season.

Joqu

Does this mean everything is navigable with the Wii Remote now? I like the Gamepad but the former is way more comfortable for me.

Also maybe I've been missing something all this time but is it possible to navigate the Wii U menu using the Gamepad on your television screen? It's a small thing but I don't like looking down to the Gamepad unless I have to. I figured there's some button to toggle what screen you're controlling things on no?

M3d10n

This update does prove something: there is nothing about how the system works (or that can't be changed) that REQUIRES a call to Nintendo to unlink an NNID. The target Wii U in the system transfer has their NNIDs unlinked and free to be relinked wherever, without Nintendo Customer Service intervention.

I consider this a step before letting users unlink it themselves, since obviously this took some work to implement on the back-end as well. Maybe we will have movable NNIDs by the end of the Wii U's life. This is certainly a promising start

Nope. According to the support page, the NNIDs in the target system can only be relinked on the target system. Seems they are unlinked because there's a limit of 12 NNIDs linked to the same system at once, so users can pick which ones to bring back.

Sealtest

I'm thankful for the eshop changes really annoying having to grab my gamepad when i usually just play with the pro controller, But please nintendo we want folders.

Scum

Huh? A console-to-console transfer? I can understand it with the 3DS but with the WiiU...? Errr....

ozfunghi

Actually my biggest complaint was that I couldn't play Shovel Knight(which has support for other controllers) without first starting the game on the gamepad. I imagine a lot of games are still like this, but I'm glad they're fixing things.

So save files aren't transferred?
I was about to pick up a Deluxe to replace my basic, but I don't want to lose my save files.

I would imagine savefiles being transferred along with the NNID/games... but you probably can't "only" copy/move savefiles without a complete system transfer.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Basically, if Nintendo release another limited edition console (like the Zelda Wind Waker console), you can buy it knowing that you can move your games over to it.

oh-boy.gif

Thanks Nintendo!
This is a lame use. Glad it's there for those that want it but this does nothing to alleviate the concerns about lost purchases etc.

Or broken. If it won't turn on, this won't help.

That too. If for any reason the source system is fucked, this doesn't help you at all.

Nope. According to the support page, the NNIDs in the target system can only be relinked on the target system. Seems they are unlinked because there's a limit of 12 NNIDs linked to the same system at once, so users can pick which ones to bring back.

Curses, foiled again.

braves01

Banned
Amiibo.

The Gamepad is not going anywhere (as they've said enough times).

I know the gamepad isn't going away, nor are the SKUs with gamepads included. But I still think a $199 SKU must be getting some consideration. Having something out there that costs half of what your competitors are charging would be more compelling to a lot of people than Amiibo functionality or off-TV play (which people could always buy into later if Nintendo sold separate gamepads like they said they planned to).

TDLink

Do you support the bolded or are you just stating what you believe the reasoning is?

Stating what I believe the reasoning is, and I don't think it is exactly unwarranted. Most people I know with PS3s use the two system thing to share games and DLC. I've done it in the past as well. I downloaded Skullgirls on a friend's system as well as Injustice DLC. Another friend logged into my system and gave me The Walking Dead. It definitely happens and I can see it being the prime concern.

Like I said though, just making the NNID un-linkable remotely should completely avoid that snafu while still giving people who actually want a real account system (rather than just a game sharing system) what they want. That way it is still only one system at a time, but you can link and unlink at will.

I can finally use my Pro Controller to navigate through the eShop. Bless you Nintendo.
Been wanting this for quite a while

VanWinkle

Very small update, but oh well. There is still so much missing from the Wii U from a functionality point it's insane. And Wii U to Wii U transfer is a crappy workaround for a proper account system.

At least controlling eShop with Pro Controller is nice.

M3d10n

Not really, they can certainly work towards fixing all of those problems over time. Hell, they probably are right now.

This is definitely not out of the question. Nintendo wants to sell more Wii U's, we've seen what Mario Kart 8 has done for the system during a dry period for the competition. Not all the attention will be on Smash during the holiday season.

You talk about the GamePad as if it were Windows 8's Metro interface: something that actively repels consumers. Also, the idea that Nintendo will be able to patch out every game that uses the gamepad and the whole OS until the end of the year is so ludicrous I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to reply to your posts.

Did you also forget Nintendo has millions of Wii Us (with GamePads) sitting on warehouses? Going through all of them, updating their firmwares and yanking their GamePads out won't magically start moving units.

I know the gamepad isn't going away, nor are the SKUs with gamepads included. But I still think a $199 SKU must be getting some consideration. Having something out there that costs half of what your competitors are charging would be more compelling to a lot of people than Amiibo functionality or off-TV play (which people could always buy into later if Nintendo sold separate gamepads like they said they planned to).

There is a $199 SKU: you just need to buy it directly from Nintendo's website.

Muzy72

Banned
Do people really own multiple Wii Us? I feel like they would be selling better if people were buying two of them.

No, but if someone was to sell their Wii U and then rebuy it, they lose any digital purchases they've ever made. Unless you go through the hassle of calling Nintendo, but that's such an unnecessary step.

M3d10n

If they announce a new model, it's more likely to be a new deluxe model (with actual internal storage, one would hope) while the deluxe is demoted to "basic". This way they can both cut and raise the price at the same time.

Trago

You talk about the GamePad as if it were Windows 8's Metro interface: something that actively repels consumers.

Also, the idea that Nintendo will be able to patch out every game that uses the gamepad and the whole OS until the end of the year is so ludicrous I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to reply to your posts.

Did you also forget Nintendo has millions of Wii Us (with GamePads) sitting on warehouses? Going through all of them, updating their firmwares and yanking their GamePads out won't magically start moving units.

Of course not. But nothing is stopping them from selling a separate sku without the gamepad. Microsoft didn't phase out Kinect included Xbox Ones did they?

And I'm not suggesting that this happens tomorrow either. Taking these steps will take time obviously.

Does this mean everything is navigable with the Wii Remote now? I like the Gamepad but the former is way more comfortable for me.

Also maybe I've been missing something all this time but is it possible to navigate the Wii U menu using the Gamepad on your television screen? It's a small thing but I don't like looking down to the Gamepad unless I have to. I figured there's some button to toggle what screen you're controlling things on no?

X. There's even an icon in the lower left telling you as much, been there since launch.

Very small update, but oh well. There is still so much missing from the Wii U from a functionality point it's insane. And Wii U to Wii U transfer is a crappy workaround for a proper account system.

At least controlling eShop with Pro Controller is nice.

What's left, aside from a proper account system and being able to use the Gamepad or Pro Controller in Wii mode? Honest question, I'm drawing a blank right now but I'm sure I could come up with stuff if I were on my Wii U.

System transfer is no different than 3DS, huge (but not unexpected) fail. 3DS method is bad enough, but that's portable at least. Requiring two home consoles from the same gen next to each other? Ugh.....just ugh. Like, couldn't some of the resources being poured into this or the other updates have been used for making a proper account system? Seems like a waste of time and one could also speculate this is evidence that they just don't plan on doing a real account system at any point in the Wii U's remaining lifespan.

Wiz

Need to see what the transfer animation is like for this. The 3DS and Wii animations were too cute.

Trago

I'm not asking Nintendo to discontinue the gamepad at all. They should give users the different choices. I like mine, but Nintendo didn't do enough to convince other people of the thing's value.

This holiday season, they are competing with the other two for attention. They can turn some serious heads by selling a gamepad less sku at $199, especially with Smash out.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Glad we can use the Pro Controller in the store now. I've been whining about that since I bought the system.

Maybe if I complain enough they'll add a left handed option to Wii Fit U as well. Heck, I should just make a whole Wii U UX design problems thread.

M3d10n

I'm not asking Nintendo to discontinue the gamepad at all. They should give users the different choices. I like mine, but Nintendo didn't do enough to convince other people of the thing's value.

This holiday season, they are competing with the other two for attention. They can turn some serious heads by selling a gamepad less sku at $199, especially with Smash out.

And you want them to stop trying. If they release a GamePad-less SKU, any hope for games that really use it goes down into the drain. And there's no fucking way they can get stores to carry a $199 GamePad-less SKU for November when they are sitting on millions of unsold Wii Us already. The only way for them to drop the price so quickly is for them to eat the retail losses. No amount of gamepad removal would recoup those losses.

Also, it seems you missed the news that Nintendo sells $199 SKUs on their website, right?

Shun

Wait so for the update, when we navigate the eShop with Pro Controllers or remotes is there gonna be an on-screen keyboard to input stuff now?

If that's the case why is it only the eShop considering that that utilizes the keyboard as much as Miiverse and System Settings?

I mean what's the point of navigating with another controller if you need to use the tablet as a keyboard (Even though I believe that the tablet keyboard is 100x better than inputting by button)?

Miiverse requires a Gamepad and it's understandably so because of the keyboard heavy nature of Miiverse but it'd be pretty tedious inputting codes and credit card info over traditional controls.

Same goes with some system settings such as Internet options.

Cbajd5

Neat. I'm guessing the transfer process uses IR to communicate between the two consoles, since they mention having to line up the two GamePads used in the process according to an arrow on the screen. It's pretty limited in purpose though...

Also, constantly necessary reminder that NNID's are a true account system, they're just only allowed to be linked to only one console in a family (Wii U, 3DS) at a time. All purchases made with an NNID are associated with it, the NNID is associated with the system just like PSN accounts are with PS3/PS4/PSP/Vitas. You can't just unlink them individually without contacting support.

That was a complaint about not being able to use the buttons on the GamePad to navigate the System Settings, which is outright wrong.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wait so for the update, when we navigate the eShop with Pro Controllers or remotes is there gonna be an on-screen keyboard to input stuff now?

If that's the case why is it only the eShop considering that that utilizes the keyboard as much as Miiverse and System Settings?

I mean what's the point of navigating with another controller if you need to use the tablet as a keyboard (Even though I believe that the tablet keyboard is 100x better than inputting by button)?

Miiverse requires a Gamepad and it's understandably so because of the keyboard heavy nature of Miiverse but it'd be pretty tedious inputting codes and credit card info over traditional controls.

Same goes with some system settings such as Internet options.
I also dont see the convience of using the pro controller over the gamepad when it comes to using the eshop

Trago

And you want them to stop trying. If they release a GamePad-less SKU, any hope for games that really use it goes down into the drain.

And there's no fucking way they can get stores to carry a $199 GamePad-less SKU for November when they are sitting on millions of unsold Wii Us already.

I don't want them to stop trying, Iwata said they won't stop trying, but it's not working for them. Even if they can't get it done by November, it should still be done at some point. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they can communicate the value of the gamepad to consumers, maybe Amiibo will help but they need to find a way to shave that price, and a gamepad less sku is an option they can take.

Top Bottom