• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlawd

Kojima made it clear his games won't come to Wii U. Very clear. Ach fuck, I'm already getting tired of this bullshit. What are we going to get from Konami ? Castlevania Ultimate Judgement ? Fuck this shit.

Kojima has Konami by the nutsack. I never had any hope to begin with.

chris3116

The Metal Gear demo was cool but not that impressive. I could be biased since I'm not a fan at all of the Metal Gear franchise.

I really hope the CPU isnt as underwhelming as is reported.

image.php

Nice avatar ;p

Kojima made it clear his games won't come to Wii U. Very clear. Ach fuck, I'm already getting tired of this bullshit. What are we going to get from Konami ? Castlevania Ultimate Judgement ? Fuck this shit.

Sakurai better not put Snake into Smash again.

On another note, if games look that good on PS3 nowadays, how big of a jump could PS4/720 possibly make that would hinder developers from WiiU ports? As some one else said before, it's mostly that devs don't want to deal with Nintendos policies and whatnot. Hopefully other Japanese support is somehow decent, it's not like this console has anything else left currently...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I think pretty much everything is shown from the WiiU itself.
Well no, they've not connected the dots. We don't know what the full OS will look like, what they intend to do with NFC, what apps/Wii U channels will be available, how deep their online service is, if Miiverse is implemented in all games, to what extent etc.

Then they didn't show their 2nd wave of games because Iwata thought their concepts could give ideas and get copied. I'm sure I read something along these lines.

I believe Nintendo is not unhappy to be underestimated while their competitors would still have time to change their plans.

cloudyy

Well no, they've not connected the dots. We don't know what the full OS will look like, what they intend to do with NFC, what apps/Wii U channels will be available, how deep their online service is, if Miiverse is implemented in all games, to what extent etc.

Then they didn't show their 2nd wave of games because Iwata thought their concepts could give ideas and get copied. I'm sure I read something along these lines.

And there are still some NintendoLand games to be shown.

Which is why any expectations for substantial game announcements at the september thing will only lead to even more disappointment. Reggie has also said something like, the next step already is preparing next years batch of holiday titles.
Most likely gotta live with the lacklustre and completely unconvincing lineup until next years E3 and hope for the best if you're a launch buyer. What a fucking terrible strategy by Nintendo, I hope they fall flat on the face for not even having at least a couple of full-fledged Nintendogames specifically made for this console in return in the launch window, while trying to frame people into buying their cheap tech demos and cash-ins at full price.

Indeed. Even A.I. co-op characters that don't just step into your hail of bullets or get in your way, or block your exits would be a start.

But getting back to your first point. Yes it would be a challenge but it would also open up a lot of games. I'd love to be able to better use my environment to attack or survive. Plant a bomb inside a tire and roll it down a hill. Set a charge in an overhead support beam to crush an alien. Cut down a tree and make a bow. Loads of real world scenarios currently limited by the power of current consoles.

All of that stuff is possible in a game now.

Hiltz

We know that some new third-party games will be announced at the Sept. conference according to Iwata. Hopefully, we'll see at least 2 good titles to hold us over until E3 2013 comes around. Launch year is always a rough one for consumers while console manufacturers tell us to be patient.

The thing is, other manufacturers get the benefit of doubt from me. Nintendo (regarding 3rd parties) doesn't. When you can't even get ports of high-quality current gen titles, you don't get the fucking benefit of doubt.

Yeah it really becomes quite clear that Iwatas talk about "lessons learned" was just that: TALK. So far I haven't seen anything that would suggest that they actually acted on the lessons learned from the Wii and 3DS launch.

3rd parties will ignore Nintendo once again, releasing their big caliber games on other plattforms while spamming their digital sewage on Nintendos console.

If at least Nintendo themselves would actually ensure that they have enough content in a steady schedule, but I highly doubt that.

We know that some new third-party games will be announced at the Sept. conference according to Iwata. Hopefully, we'll see at least 2 good titles to hold us over until E3 2013 comes around. Launch year is always a rough one for consumers while console manufacturers tell us to be patient.

Japanese 3rd party would have to be absolutely stellar to fix this whole situation. Usually, you must let your potential launch buyers know what exactly they can expect in the future. This whole ,,launch window only'' strategy is flat-out idiotic, even more so since the launch really isn't that spectacular anyway. People try to label it as great, though it completely lacks what you'd want from a Nintendo console (Nintendo games that aren't cash-ins with hardly any effort behind them) and unlike 3DS etc, as already mentioned, you don't have any idea what's beyond. They must be in super arrogance mode again to start their new console like this. Or maybe they just completely mishandled their development. In both cases they need some serious slapping, because I fear the future for this thing if they succeed with this ridiculous strategy.

Hiltz

The thing is, other manufacturers get the benefit of doubt from me. Nintendo (regarding 3rd parties) doesn't. When you can't even get ports of high-quality current gen titles, you don't get the fucking benefit of doubt.

There's obviously alot of factors that plague new hardware launches and third-parties cannot always commit to even doing early port jobs. Being in an extended generation doesn't make things any easier. Did people really expect the majority of Fall 2012 and holiday multiplatform releases to come out for Wii U this year, especially from western developers ? Come on now.

We have yet to really hear from what Japanese third-parties are doing beyond Namco Bandai and Platinum Games. However, we know Capcom has some things and Square is supposed to bring DQX to it. For a lot of devs, they want to focus on finishing up development of their current projects before dealing with a new platform. Others are playing the wait and see game approach especially when there's still a lot of unknown things even third-parties are not made aware of Wii U yet. Given how Retro Studios and Monolith Soft haven't made new games since 2010, they should be ready to at least show them at next E3. Nintendo's been busy making games for two platforms but it needs to release a new console sooner rather than later. It apparently thinks it has enough to offer without causing a similar problem that the 3DS faced.

If we look back at Xbox 360's launch, it apparently had 99% of its titles were ports in 2006. Microsoft didn't do a great job of bringing in enough exclusives as it ended up delaying Mass Effect, Too Human, and Crackdown to 2007 and 2008. Two of those titles saw signicant delays.

Hoo-doo

Banned
There's obviously alot of factors that plague new hardware launches and third-parties cannot always commit to even doing early port jobs. Being in an extended generation doesn't make things any easier. Did people really expect the majority of Fall 2012 and holiday multiplatform releases to come out for Wii U this year, especially from western developers ? Come on now.

We have yet to really hear from Japanese third-parties are doing beyond Namco Bandai and Platinum Games. However, we know Capcom has some things and Square is supposed to bring DQX to it. If they have anything early planned, then we should be hearing about it between now and E3 2013. For a lot of devs, they want to focus on finishing up development of their current projects before dealing with a new platform. Others are playing the wait and see game approach especially when there's still a lot of unknown things even third-parties are not made aware of Wii U yet. Given how Retro Studios and Monolith Soft haven't made new games since 2010, they should be ready to at least show them at next E3.

If we look back at Xbox 360's launch, it apparently had 99% of its titles were ports in 2006. Microsoft didn't do a great job of bringing in enough exclusives as it ended up delaying Mass Effect, Too Human, and Crackdown to 2007 and 2008. Two of those titles saw signicant delays.

Microsoft is willing to pay out the ass to get the games coming to their platform, often while securing exclusive DLC. Is Nintendo willing to do the same?

Diablos54

Yeah it really becomes quite clear that Iwatas talk about "lessons learned" was just that: TALK. So far I haven't seen anything that would suggest that they actually acted on the lessons learned from the Wii and 3DS launch.
There were no issues with the Wii launch, apart from not being able to meet the insane demand. The problem with the 3DS launch was both price and no killer apps. Iwata already commented on the price part, and NSMBU as well as Wii Fit U are the killer apps.

Microsoft is willing to pay out the ass to get the games coming to their platform, often while securing exclusive DLC. Is Nintendo willing to do the same?
Nope, but for good reason. Paying millions for exclusive DLC and the like isn't reasonable for a company like Nintendo do to.

There were no issues with the Wii launch, apart from not being able to meet the insane demand. The problem with the 3DS launch was both price and no killer apps. Iwata already commented on the price part, and NSMBU as well as Wii Fit U are the killer apps.

Did that rumor about NSMBU not being a launch title turn out to be false?

ozfunghi

http://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/rumour-european-wii-u-launch-details/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rumour-european-wii-u-launch-details

Our source, who shall remain nameless, but has been proven correct numerous times has heard the first preliminary details about the Wii U’s European launch…
Early- Mid December launch (Wii launched December 8th 2006)
Launch titles include Lego City Undercover and ZombiU
Launch price of 279.99*

*Our source can’t confirm if this is in Euros or GBP
If its Euros that means $350 and £220
If its GBP that means $440 and E350

It’s also worth noting that UK gamers generally pay a considerable amount more for their gaming goods. For reference the Wii launched for $249.99 which would translate to £155, but in fact launched at £180.

For me "no name"=tons of salt.

The guy whoever wrote this does not know the laws of Nintendo mathematics.

This is clearly NOT the price in Euro or Dollars. That means it is in GBP. He further shows his ineptitude in Nintendo philosophy as he doesn't know how currency compares in the mind of Nintendo. Always f*ck the british most, then the EU. So 279 pounds would roughly equal 299 euro's, and since Nintendo puts a dollar for a euro, that means 299 dollars (without taxes).

Tah-dah

Hiltz

Naturally, Nintendo doesn't do that. Nintendo is instead focusing on releasing launch titles that it hopes will be evergreen in addition to teaming up with third-parties to publish titles like P-100 and Lego City. Microsoft didn't have a killer-app at launch and Halo 3 was 2 years away from being ready. Microsoft needed to moneyhat some third-parties.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
PS3 Fat under load was ~200W.

And you can compensate for the GPU having a higher TDP by using lower-powered CPU cores while relying on general processing in the GPU... just like "another console" we've been talking about for over the past year. ;)

No way, the CPU on the Ps4 is gonna be an order of magnitude more powerful than the Cell!

I was under the impression that hardware (e.g. memory space) was still liming context-sensitive algorithms in mobile devices (e.g. Siri) and that the current efforts for more complex AI were also computationally complex, but I must admit I haven't been following the field that much.

If an algorithm is computationally complex is not worth it to use it outside academic purposes. :p

Edit: Milo was a glorified chatbox at best.

Owzers

my wii u decision will probably be based on how many games support using the gamepad screen instead of a tv. That, and the library of course. It's not really good to see new games announced with no Wii U version, maybe they are keeping it under wraps, but if a "current" gen system can't even get current gen games, it's going to get ugly fast.

The_Lump

Banned

Yeah free would be good :p £249 would be my upper estimate if they want it to be a "pleasant surprise".

I'll be buying one either way. The hesitation will just be "hmmm......cash or credit?"

Well, they've apparently learned nothing but ,,slap New Mario Bros on it and we'll be fine''. Pretty much the wrong lesson, so hopefully it doesn't work out. Seems like the 3DS Mario cash-in already doesn't even come close to its predecessors numbers in Japan. Wii Fit could also very well suffer the same fate as Nintendogs 2.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
MGS:GZ better fricken come to WiiU. This is Nintendo, who currently owns Japan-land and has a great relationship with eastern developers. Western developers not supporting it is one thing, but this is totally different.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
MGS:GZ better fricken come to WiiU. This is Nintendo, who currently owns Japan-land and has a great relationship with eastern developers. Western developers not supporting it is one thing, but this is totally different.

Kojima would rather port it for Vita first. He said as much.

Hiltz

Kojima hasn't been a big supporter of Nintendo in the past so I doubt it will happen unless Konami forces him. Even if it were to happen, the port would likely be outsourced.

The_Lump

Banned
The guy whoever wrote this does not know the laws of Nintendo mathematics.

This is clearly NOT the price in Euro or Dollars. That means it is in GBP. He further shows his ineptitude in Nintendo philosophy as he doesn't know how currency compares in the mind of Nintendo. Always f*ck the british most, then the EU. So 279 pounds would roughly equal 299 euro's, and since Nintendo puts a dollar for a euro, that means 299 dollars (without taxes).

Tah-dah

Unfortunately this sounds about right. However, the slight positive is that the big N has finally recognised that they are way behind in the EU, so hopefully now is the time for them to address that by not shifting us quite so harshly.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Kojima hasn't been a big supporter of Nintendo in the past so I doubt it will happen unless Konami forces him. Even if it were to happen, the port would likely be outsourced.

I know what has happened in the past, but it makes zero logical sense to NOT bring MGS:GZ to WiiU, for both parties.

No, but at least one of the big 2013 (or later) titles such as Bioshock Infinite, Dead Space 3, DmC, Tomb Raider, MGS Revengeance, Crysis 3, or even (presumably) smaller titles like Remember Me or Watch Dogs.

They're not giving me any reason to believe there'll be any substantial 3rd party support. We're not just not getting ports, we're not even getting any promises, we're not even getting future (next-gen) titles such as 1313 confirmed. Come on, we all know it'll be different with 720/PS4, where you won't heard this shit from 3rd parties.

Seriously, they had a year of silence and all they've got in that time was Rayman and some Mass Effect port? And they actually LOST that Metro game. Pathetic...
And right now, you can't even use that typical excuse of ,,Well you buy Nintendo platforms for 1st party games'' because there hasn't been anything new on that front either.
P-100 was pretty much the only somehow decent move they've made and the Japanese support would need to have more of that to somehow make up for this mess. Lots and lots of similar announcemts. But apparently they don't even care enough about that to hold a conference... Not holding my breath if the Japanese details come from one of these Direct things.

Hiltz

I know what has happened in the past, but it makes zero logical sense to NOT bring MGS:GZ to WiiU, for both parties.

I'm not sure what Kojima and Konami's reason may be, but it is what it is. If Nintendo's not willing to convince them in any way it can, then Wii U owners will just miss out on yet another big announced title. Nintendo's lack of common sense boggles the mind sometimes because it knows how much gamers care about these AAA third-party franchises yet it is so willing to take a big gamble on having its platforms miss out on them. It's like Nintendo saying "Hey man, you bought a Wii U. You should have known what your getting into."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom