• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japanese 3rd party would have to be absolutely stellar to fix this whole situation. Usually, you must let your potential launch buyers know what exactly they can expect in the future. This whole ,,launch window only'' strategy is flat-out idiotic, even more so since the launch really isn't that spectacular anyway. People try to label it as great, though it completely lacks what you'd want from a Nintendo console (Nintendo games that aren't cash-ins with hardly any effort behind them) and unlike 3DS etc, as already mentioned, you don't have any idea what's beyond. They must be in super arrogance mode again to start their new console like this. Or maybe they just completely mishandled their development. In both cases they need some serious slapping, because I fear the future for this thing if they succeed with this ridiculous strategy.
You should realize Nintendo's reality. They are running out of resources, they are trying to cover too much ground with 2 platforms and software development has become more complex and intensive over the years.

That's why, after the Wii release i wished for them to focus on a single platform. Imagine the type of output we would've been getting if they just concentrated in the 3DS for example, by now we could be hiring about the next Zelda or Metroid offerings. Instead a ton of energy was invested in R&D for the next home console.

You should realize Nintendo's reality. They are running out of resources, they are trying to cover too much ground with 2 platforms and software development has become more complex and intensive over the years.

That's why, after the Wii release i wished for them to focus on a single platform. Imagine the type of output we would've been getting if they just concentrated in the 3DS for example, by now we could be hiring about the next Zelda or Metroid offerings. Instead a ton of energy was invested in R&D for the next home console.

Nintendo Knows they need more resources. Over the past year they have been expanding tremendously and hiring devs from all over the place. Nintendo is even building a new EAD R&D team that will have 1,500 devs working in it so i wouldn't really worry about their ability to dish out first party content.

That's why, after the Wii release i wished for them to focus on a single platform. Imagine the type of output we would've been get we woud get if they just concentrated in the 3DS, by now we could be hiring about the next Zelda or Metroid offerings. Instead a ton of energy was invested in R&D for the next home console.

Yeah, I actually feel that 3DS is actually getting too much 1st party devotion. DS was great for its variety of 3rd party games and hence lack of 1st party or underwhelming software such as the Zeldas never really stood out. For the 3DS, they are already pumping out a ridiculous amount of Nintendo games that actually would have been expected on home consoles (Paper Mario, Luigis Mansion... Kid Icarus also seems like a game made for the Wiimote). Though I believe there surely could have been a much better balance.
3DS gets Pushmo, Paper Mario and Fire Emblem from Intelligent Systems within the shortest amount of time while for the WiiU they develop... the most miserable looking Wario game in history? Nintendo could have handled development better than this, right now the WiiU couldn't possibly look any less ambitious.

Are there really that many internally developed Nintendo titles on either system right now?

Maxrunner

Yeah its kind of sad that wiiu isnt even getting current gen ports let alone the next gen stuff. Its a lose lose situation for Nintendo.

Nintendo Knows they need more resources. Over the past year they have been expanding tremendously and hiring devs from all over the place. Nintendo is even building a new EAD R&D team that will have 1,500 devs working in it so i wouldn't really worry about their ability to dish out first party content.
I don't know how to put this withouth upsetting people but... notice that the quality of their games is lower these days and they are outputting very similar products. So yes, im worried about the resources. I was hoping for them to concentrate on the 3DS and cook more the WiiU concept or launch the hybrid console :)
Yeah, I actually feel that 3DS is actually getting too much 1st party devotion. DS was great for its variety of 3rd party games and hence lack of 1st party or underwhelming software such as the Zeldas never really stood out. For the 3DS, they are already pumping out a ridiculous amount of Nintendo games that actually would have been expected on home consoles (Paper Mario, Luigis Mansion... Kid Icarus also seems like a game made for the Wiimote). Though I believe there surely could have been a much better balance.
3DS gets Pushmo, Paper Mario and Fire Emblem from Intelligent Systems within the shortest amount of time while for the WiiU they develop... the most miserable looking Wario game in history? Nintendo could have handled development better than this, right now the WiiU couldn't possibly look any less ambitious.
Well we can't blame here, the 3DS was going through serious growing pains so they needed to save the situation by focusing even more resources towards it.

I don't know why they are so afraid to mark the territory in the home console realm with an early release into next gen. Nintendo operates at it's own rythm so i don't think arraving later than the competition would have hurt them significantly. We could have ended with a more polished WiiU system with better showcase games. So far everything about the system seems underwhelming, it's to the point that Ubisoft is comanding the ship with their offerings. So far their software seems more interesting and covering a wider range of demographics.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well no, they've not connected the dots. We don't know what the full OS will look like, what they intend to do with NFC, what apps/Wii U channels will be available, how deep their online service is, if Miiverse is implemented in all games, to what extent etc.

Then they didn't show their 2nd wave of games because Iwata thought their concepts could give ideas and get copied. I'm sure I read something along these lines.

I believe Nintendo is not unhappy to be underestimated while their competitors would still have time to change their plans.
I'm sure there are some small tidbits that we havnt seen yet, and we definitelly dont know all the details indeed (like how the friend list/system will work and if there is an universal achievements/trophy system). But i cant imagine that they're holding off something big and very significant at this point in fear of competition. Announcing more new games at this point would also surprise me a lot, especially games that are tailor made for the WiiU.

Hiltz

Why weren't you impressed?

I don't even know what I was supposed to be impressed by graphically. Yes, it looks more realistic, but what about it is special ? I can look at a gameplay trailer from games like Uncharted and be immediatly impressed by what I'm looking at, but that wasn't the case for me with Ground Zero... and this is comnig from someone who has only owned a Wii this generation. It should be easier to impress me with rich HD graphics, but for some reason, it just didn't. I'm left scratching my head.

No Wii-U logo.

Haha. Actually, I have no interest in Metal Gear. I rented Twin Snakes once and found to be a solid but rather boring game. That psychomantis boss battle didn' impress me either.

I don't know how to put this withouth upsetting people but... notice that the quality of their games is lower these days and they are outputting very similar products. So yes, im worried about the resources. I was hoping for them to concentrate on the 3DS and cook more the WiiU concept or launch the hybrid console :)

Well we can't blame here, the 3DS was going through serious growing pains so they needed to save the situation by focusing even more resources towards it.

I don't know why they are so afraid to mark the territory in the home console realm with an early release into next gen. Nintendo operates at it's own rythm so i don't think arraving later than the competition would have hurt them significantly. We could have ended with a more polished WiiU system with better showcase games.
Nintendo seems to be very serious about holding their cards close until the last minute. For a logical guess, I don't think Iwata does not want Sony and Microsoft to get too uncomfortable with their position yet.

ASIS

I don't know how to put this withouth upsetting people but... notice that the quality of their games is lower these days and they are outputting very similar products. So yes, im worried about the resources.
Other than NSMB I don't know how the game's quality has gotten lower.

Diablos54

I don't know how to put this withouth upsetting people but... notice that the quality of their games is lower these days and they are outputting very similar products.
Quality is lower? Cause this gen they've released some of their best games ever... Although quality is, of course, subjective. And what do you mean by similar? Similar to who, themselves?

Looking beyond Wii Play and all that shit, they probably had some of their strongest 1st party this gen. Which is why I, as someone who gladly stayed with his Wii until the end despite all the shit it got from everywhere, felt almost insulted by this thing or rather by how they are trying to kick this console into life and apparently feel totally confident they actually satisfy their fans with pretty much the lowest effort they could put into it.

Quality is lower? Cause this gen they've released some of their best games ever... Although quality is, of course, subjective. And what do you mean by similar? Similar to who, themselves?
Yes, themselves. How many games riding the same concept do we want? These games stick very close to the predecesors. For example, Galaxy 1 and 2. Now, the thrid Wii Fit, Pikimin 3, 2 New Super Mario Bros games months apart, yet another Luigis Mansion. Their New IP for the system launch is yet another tech demo mini game compilation with some of them riding in very old concepts. More Paper Mario RPG's. Among others.

Of course this has been their modus operandi, yet in the past these series reinvented themselves and resurfaced as sequels that presented more variation from the core material. But lately they are too similar and that's because their resources are limited.

I don't know about you but i'll rather have them reduce the amount of proyects and concentrate on delivering more significant experiences. Have them investing on one big IP (like Zelda or Metroid) and handle 2 or 3 experimental yet smaller proyects. Right now Nintendo seems in factory mode outputting serialized products like a screw factory. So that craftmanship work seems missing, well to me that is.

Diablos54

Yes, themselves. How many games riding the same concept do we want? These games stick very close to the predecesors. For example, Galaxy 1 and 2. Now, the thrid Wii Fit, Pikimin 3, 2 New Super Mario Bros games months apart, yet another Luigis Mansion. Their New IP is yet another tech demo mini game compilation. More Paper Mario RPG's. Among others.

You're complaining about Galaxy 2? Really?
New Wii Fit is only the 3rd in two generations, and wasn't the 2nd just a sort of upgrade? (Don't play WF so I have no clue...)
Pikmin skipped a whole gen.
You sort of have a point with NSMB, but I doubt we'll see another till next gen so it's not exactly bad (It's only 1 per system).
Yet another Luigi's Mansion? It's only the second, and the first was a launch title last gen.
We get 1 Paper Mario a gen, and this one seems to be quite different from its predecessors (World map, no exp, no partners, sticker system).

The only one worth complaining about is NSMB, and maybe Wii Fit. I mean, compare these with other developers. 4 Uncharted's, 4 Gears of War, 3 Final Fantasy XIII's, all in this gen... I could go on.

ohlawd

I thought we were over this whole "Same 3D Mario" crap with Galaxy 1 and 2? never mind the fact that these are the two greatest platformers this gen and have no similarities to 64 and Sunshine >_>

Luigi's Mansion 1 came out over a decade ago.
Pikmin 2 came out eight years ago.

Paper Mario Sticker Star looks like it's a difference experience like Super Paper Mario before it. We haven't had a true Paper Mario RPG in eight years.

NSMB2, NSMBU and Wii Fit U. These are Nintendo's biggest sellers. This is like Microsoft's Halo/Gears of War and Sony's... well nothing really.

Hiltz

I don't know if Nintendo's conference news will end up causing more controversy and disappointment or actually put a smile on our faces. Maybe it's a combination of all of the above.

Roo

Are there really that many internally developed Nintendo titles on either system right now?

I'm more concerned about how they will distribute their franchises throughout Wii U's and 3DS's life.
Wii had amazing first party support the first 4 years but the rest... was abysmal at best.
They need to sit down and plan this thoroughly

nluckett

I'm more concerned about how they will distribute their franchises throughout Wii U's and 3DS's life.
Wii had amazing first party support the first 4 years but the rest... was abysmal at best.
They need to sit down and plan this thoroughly

It seems like it's hard to plan, since they will often push games until they are ready. From all the Iwata Asks and other interviews Ive read, it happens a lot. Which ultimately leads to better games, so Im fine with it.

I don't know if Nintendo's conference news will end up causing more controversy and disappointment or actually put a smile on our faces. Maybe it's a combination of all of the above.

It will be more Nintendoland and E3 all over again, just a little more detailed, while people desperately want to believe that they kept big announcements from E3 just to deliver them there 2 months later for some reason. So the reactions are pretty easy to predict.
Though since some still try so hard to defend Nintendos plan for this console even after they messed up so hard, there's probably still going to be excuses. ,,Well OBVIOUSLY they just keep it for the next Direct!''. One false prediction later, E3 will be the supposed savior again :)

I think I mentioned this before, but my personal litmus test for Wii U 3rd party support was whether or not it got all the multiplat games announced after E3. I figured it was reasonable to say that E3 and prior games were likely started before dev kits went out last year or whatever, but anything else would have been available for Wii U.

That new Capcom IP? No Wii U.

Metal Gear Solid? No Wii U.

ugh

You're complaining about Galaxy 2? Really?
New Wii Fit is only the 3rd in two generations, and wasn't the 2nd just a sort of upgrade? (Don't play WF so I have no clue...)
Pikmin skipped a whole gen.
You sort of have a point with NSMB, but I doubt we'll see another till next gen so it's not exactly bad (It's only 1 per system).
Yet another Luigi's Mansion? It's only the second, and the first was a launch title last gen.
We get 1 Paper Mario a gen, and this one seems to be quite different from its predecessors (World map, no exp, no partners, sticker system).

The only one worth complaining about is NSMB, and maybe Wii Fit. I mean, compare these with other developers. 4 Uncharted's, 4 Gears of War, 3 Final Fantasy XIII's, all in this gen... I could go on.
You are not getting the essence of my post, it wasn't about Galaxy being a game of x quality or my personal feelings about it. The point was that Mario Galaxy 2 while exellent was raiding the same concept as the first one. Also Galaxy is the highest quality game Nintendo has developed in the entire Wii cycle. Pikmin 3 is a ported up Wii game. Lugi's Mansion didn't have the quality or was a concept that needed yet another sequel, it was just a quick proyect to kick start the GC with a familiar Mario universe character. If they wanted something with Luigi at least come up with something fresh, as it is, it was just a quick way to recycle something they had in the closet for years. Wii Fit U it's like the latest iteration of a sport franchize.

Im not saying Nintendo shouldn't fall back to they sure fire printing money hits. The problem is that the frequency of the franchises is increasing, the concepts aren't getting much diversity or "newness" and the amount of earthsahing stuff (Mario 64, OoT for example) is diminishing. Where's the WiiU defining launch game? Where's the Super Mario World, Mario 64 or Wii Sport? The only Nintendo console with that type of Nintendo softness in it's launch was the GameCube with Luigi's Mansion.
For someone who's seemingly excited for the Splintercell game I'm not sure how you're dogging Nintendo for making two SMG games.
You can't be more farther from the truth :) Im not excited for the new SC, i just pointed out that i accepted what the series has become. ANd you keep ignoring the point im traying to make by focusing on Mario Galaxy. That was just an example.
lol Pikmin 3 once again dismissed and tossed aside as just a "Up res Wii port"

Makes me question if only 5 GAFers have played a Pikmin game.
Have played the two of them in GC, plus the 2 Wii controller enhanced versions. Fantastic games, yet not a system moving franchise friend. Plus is not a game taylor made for WiiU. Hope that is clear for you now.

Hero

You are not getting the essence of my post, it wasn't about Galaxy being a game of x quality or my personal feelings about it. The point was that Mario Galaxy 2 while exellent was raiding the same concept as the first one. Also Galaxy is the highest quality game Nintendo has developed in the entire Wii cycle. Pikmin 3 is a ported up Wii game. Lugi's Mansion didn't have the quality or was a concept that needed yet another sequel, it was just a quick proyect to kick start the GC with a familiar Mario universe character. If they wanted something with Luigi at least come up with something fresh, as it is, it was just a quick way to recycle something they had in the closet for years. Wii Fit U it's like the latest iteration of a sport franchize.

Im not saying Nintendo shouldn't fall back to they sure fire printing money hits. The problem is that the frequency of the franchises is increasing, the concepts aren't getting much diversity or "newness" and the amount of earthsahing stuff (Mario 64, OoT for example) is diminishing. Where's the WiiU defining launch game? Where's the Super Mario World, Mario 64 or Wii Sport? The only Nintendo console with that type of Nintendo softness was the GameCube with Luigi's Mansion.

For someone who's seemingly excited for the Splintercell game I'm not sure how you're dogging Nintendo for making two SMG games.

ohlawd

lol Pikmin 3 once again dismissed and tossed aside as just a "Up res Wii port"

Makes me question if only 5 GAFers have played a Pikmin game.

You are not getting the essence of my post, it wasn't about Galaxy being a good or bad game. The point was that Mario Galaxy 2 while exellent was raiding the same concept as the first one.

This reminds me of when Galaxy 2 was announced/released. Remember how many times you heard SMG2 called an expansion pack, by posters and even media/reviewers? How many reviews called Gears 3 (just picked a random example) an expansion pack because it mostly used the same assets and mechanics?

Or with NSMB2 and NSMBU: how many complaints about "milking the well dry"etc have we heard, from every corner of the internet? We have four NSMB games, that use similar art styles and mechanics, released over the course of about six years, on four platforms, the most recent two about three months apart. Then look at Uncharted, four games that use similar art styles and mechanics, released over the course of about six years, on two platforms, the most recent two about three months apart. Yet there is no huge outcry, no constant drumbeat about how Sony is creatively bankrupt etc.

tnaden

What the...
zhX4t.png

The power of the internet! ANYONE can produce content.
or maybe I've been reading the Wii U threads too much.. surely this is general knowledge if you're interested in the system?

Diablos54

You are not getting the essence of my post, it wasn't about Galaxy being a game of x quality or my personal feelings about it. The point was that Mario Galaxy 2 while exellent was raiding the same concept as the first one.
It's a sequel to one of the best platforming games ever. How much would you expect them to change the concept? I don't see Gears of War 2/3 changing their concept. That's what sequels do, they take the formula of the original and try to improve it as best they can.

Pikmin 3 is a ported up Wii game.

Okay... So they took a Wii game and decided to make to a Wii U game instead. I don't see your point here.

Lugi's Mansion didn't have the quality or was a concept that needed yet another sequel, it was just a quick proyect to kick start the GC with a familiar Mario universe character.

While it was a short game, and thus most likely quite a quick project, as you put it, it was still a quality title. A much improved sequel (At least it looks that way so far) with 3 different mansions, what, a decade later isn't something to complain about.

If they wanted something with Luigi at least come up with something fresh, as it is, it was just a quick way to recycle something they had in the closet for years.

Fresh? How is ghost hunting not fresh? How many other ghost hunting games have you seen?

Wii Fit U it's like the latest iteration of a sport franchize.
Sport games are yearly, Wii Fit isn't...

The problem is that the frequency of the franchises is increasing, the concepts aren't getting much diversity or "newness" and the amount of earthsahing stuff (Mario 64, OoT for example) is diminishing.

It's hard to get more earth shattering than a leap from 2D to 3D. I don't really know what you want here. Where you complaining when we got 3 different 2D Mario games on the NES? Or 2 Zelda's on the N64? I don't really see the frequency of their franchises increasing much TBH. They stick to one per gen for most of their big titles. Maybe 2 depending on the franchise.

Where's the WiiU defining launch game? Where's the Super Mario World, Mario 64 or Wii Sport? The only Nintendo console with that type of Nintendo softness in it's launch was the GameCube with Luigi's Mansion.
You want Super Mario World? You have NSMBU. Wii Sports? Nintendo Land. Those will be the defining launch games along with the smaller games like Pikimn, Zombi U and P-100.

I actually can't wait to have a deep look at the OS during the conference.
I'm really excited about that as well. I'm not expecting new game announcements, but I think we'll get detailed information on the OS and MiiVerse. We'll also probably get details on any built-in applications as well as insight on capabilities such as video chat and multitasking.

I also only have one class that day. New games or not, I look forward to that day.

This reminds me of when Galaxy 2 was announced/released. Remember how many times you heard SMG2 called an expansion pack, by posters and even media/reviewers? How many reviews called Gears 3 (just picked a random example) an expansion pack because it mostly used the same assets and mechanics?

Or with NSMB2 and NSMBU: how many complaints about "milking the well dry"etc have we heard, from every corner of the internet? We have four NSMB games, that use similar art styles and mechanics, released over the course of about six years, on four platforms, the most recent two about three months apart. Then look at Uncharted, four games that use similar art styles and mechanics, released over the course of about six years, on two platforms, the most recent two about three months apart. Yet there is no huge outcry, no constant drumbeat about how Sony is creatively bankrupt etc.
It's incredible how you can't understand the main point that drive's a post and just center in taking some examples as literally as possible. It's even like you didn't read a word and just assumed im critisizing Galaxy.

Anyway, to adress your comment. You just accidentally stumbled upon the issue and didn't noticed. That's the hole problem here, Nintendo used to introduce enough variation into the same franchise avoiding the pitfalls in which most developers fall, like with your Uncharted example. Now, they are getting closer to what the others did, releasing incremental updates. It's a conduct from recent Nintendo that i sincerly don't know how could you miss.
It's a sequel to one of the best platforming games ever. How much would you expect them to change the concept? I don't see Gears of War 2/3 changing their concept. That's what sequels do, they take the formula of the original and try to improve it as best they can.

Okay... So they took a Wii game and decided to make to a Wii U game instead. I don't see your point here.

While it was a short game, and thus most likely quite a quick project, as you put it, it was still a quality title. A much improved sequel (At least it looks that way so far) with 3 different mansions, what, a decade later isn't something to complain about.

Fresh? How is ghost hunting not fresh? How many other ghost hunting games have you seen?

Sport games are yearly, Wii Fit isn't...
Again, the hole point flew by. No point in proceding with the argument. Can't reason with people that are too invested in "x" company.

So sorry for shaying away from the conversation Diablos54. :)

Hiltz

This was Wii North American Nintendo software release schedule. I think I got all of the major titles.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Excite Truck, Wii Sports & Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

First half of the year: Wii Play, Big Brain Academy,Super Paper Mario & Mario Party 8

Second half of the year: Mario Strikers Charged, Metroid Prime 3, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Link's Crossbow Training & Super Mario Galaxy

First half of the year: Endless Ocean, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart, & Wii Fit

Second half of the year: Wii Music and Animal Crossing: City Folk

First half of the year: ExciteBots, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat NPC, Mario Power Tennis NPC, Pikmin NPC & Punch-Out!!

Second half of the year: New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Sports Resort, Metroid Prime Trilogy & Wii Fit Plus

First half of the year: Endless Ocean 2 & Super Mario Galaxy 2

Second half of the year: Sin & Punishment 2, Metroid: Other M, FlingSmash, Kirby's Epic Yarn & Donkey Kong Country

First half of the year: Mario Sportx Mix

Second half of the year: Kirby's Return to Dreamland & Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

First half of the year: Mario Party 9, Pikmin 2 NPC, Rhythm Heaven Fever & Xenoblade Chronicles

Second half of the year: Kirby's Dream Collection & Last Story

jrDev

Totally forgot to post this last week when checked out what was new at my local Gamestop. Didn't have to look far. :p

Pretty much slap dab in front of the door as soon as you come in. I know other pics have been posted, but man if I didn't feel goosebumps seeing it face to face in my own neighborhood.

Almost like it's a small monolith that echoed off to me in an old wise man's voice, "don't forget about the 13th you little shit!!!"
Saw this in GameStop too. Black WiiU for me!

Roo

It seems like it's hard to plan, since they will often push games until they are ready. From all the Iwata Asks and other interviews Ive read, it happens a lot. Which ultimately leads to better games, so Im fine with it.

Yeah, I think you're right
at least they should try to have a notion about it.
They already played one of their strongest cards: NSMBU
here I am hoping they save Mario Kart Wii U/8 for a big push on sales

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not going to touch on Nintendo's software history over the last generation or so just yet, but I too lament the lack of a system defining, unique title at the launch of the Wii U. The absence of such a unique game from Nintendo contributed to my disappointment over their E3 showing. It's not a question of software quality, but the Wii U is absolutely missing the traditional ground breaking, system defining unexpected behemoth that, even if not at launch, is at least advertised.

It's Nintendo's safest, most predictable line-up yet, even if it is fun.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sometimes I wonder how much of our perception of Nintendo "not making new stuff and just releasing sequels" is due to the bias of looking at it from the west, where we have never gotten a lot of Nintendo's output.

Nintendo has entire franchises that never saw the light of day in the west until later days.

In the NES days, Nintendo did release a lot of games within the same IP - three Mario games in one generation on one console, regardless of how oddball US Mario 2 was. And for portables, where the software was cheaper to make and they could be assured more return on investment, they always opened the floodgates. Do people forget that the original Gameboy and Gameboy Color got like FIVE 2d platformers from the same pool? Super Mario Land, Mario Land 2, Wario Land: Mario Land 3, Wario Land 2, and Wario Land 3?

On consoles, where releasing games has always been dicier due to their prices and yen to dollar fluctuations, Nintendo seemed more hesitant to release many games in the US and EU. It seemed like more of an event when they did. Of course, this also may have enhanced the perception that Nintendo doesn't make new IP - a lot of original games and new IP for the N64, Gamecube, and Wii, never made it out of Japan. Only the big games, the safe ones, did. And when they did experiment with something like Sin & Punishment 2, they got burned.

We make judgement on Nintendo based on only a part of their actual output. It is said they should be 'creative' and make more quirky ideas, experiment more, and they DO that often. But many of those games stay at home in Japan.

Diablos54

Again, the hole point flew by. No point in proceding with the argument. Can't reason with people that are too invested in "x" company.
I get your point, that you think Nintendo don't inject as much variation into their titles as they used to, and used various sequels (Ignoring things like the difference between say, Sunshine and Galaxy, or Majora's Mask and Wind Waker) to try and prove that point. So, instead of replying to my points, you're just waving them off with 'LOL NINTENDO FANBOY'. Veeeery sneaky.

Not going to touch on Nintendo's software history over the last generation or so just yet, but I too lament the lack of a system defining, unique title at the launch of the Wii U. The absence of such a unique game from Nintendo contributed to my disappointment over their E3 showing. It's not a question of software quality, but the Wii U is absolutely missing the traditional ground breaking, system defining unexpected behemoth that, even if not at launch, is at least advertised.

It's Nintendo's safest, most predictable line-up yet, even if it is fun.
I think they expect that to be Nintendo Land. It'll be a big seller no doubt, but I doubt it'll have the same effect as Wii Sports did.

ohlawd

At least we know that Refreshment cares about Nintendo enough that he doesn't want the company to be just a sequel dispenser like the majority of other companies ;)

nluckett

Another thing to consider is that Nintendo is really concerned with power usage and noise of the console. Something most of us here on this board couldn't give two shits about.

That being said, when I got my 60 inch Plasma eight months ago, my electricity bill suddenly jumped up a lot. It really surprised me. Since then Ive been more away of power consumption and the fact that my 360's fan makes so much noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom