• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When random sentences and words get bolded and underlined, you know the fun times are over. It's serious business time. :)

The fun times are just beginning: HD Mario. HD Zelda. HD Metroid

Those are the only technical specs that matter to me with a Nintendo console. For everything else, there's the Microsoft/Sony consoles. Third parties got me covered there just fine.

All this talk about main systems and what not

How much does that apply to anyone here? Raise your hand if, before spec talk, your intention was to buy only one system and never anything else and explain why that isn't crazy times.

Actually, next console OSes are going to be more like "ALT-TABing" in windows. On the 3DS, you can pause the game at any moment and load a web browser. That system has 32MB reserved out of 128MB total and does little more than that extremely basic web browser. What's the minimum requirement to run a reasonably featured web browser? Over 100MB? Then there's the other functions that the Systems is supposed to do while-in-game, like access to the mii-verse and video chat. That's why reserving 512MB is not that far fetched.

Unless they use some bloated ass browser like Firefox has turned into 200 MB is all a browser will ever need, and that's with tabs open, multiple 720p videos buffering etc...

That reminds me, Firefox in idle allready takes up more than 140 MB Ram... how did it ever come to this?

Mithos

It's easy to answer. Kojima knows that there's no market for Metal Gear on Nintendo platforms. The Fox engine could run on Wii U it's so obvious since the next PES will come to Wii U and it will use the engine but he won't do anything on it. Kojima is also a huge Sony supporter. Also, there's the excuse about the 3rd party companies that think that people that buy a Nintendo console is to only buy Nintendo games.

Nintendo could try to get this game on Wii U but it's up to konami and Kojima to answer this request. But there's no market for Metal Gear on Wii U.

I doubt he would need to spend very much an a "on par" console port, and that he would need to sell very many copies to make it all back and turn profit, I mean even Ubisoft are saying their port are below 1 million euro/game.

That reminds me, Firefox in idle allready takes up more than 140 MB Ram... how did it ever come to this?

100+ tabs ~ 500MB for me in FF 15 ;p

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

How much does that apply to anyone here? Raise your hand if, before spec talk, your intention was to buy only one system and never anything else and explain why that isn't crazy times.

Hand raised!, I have little drive and opportunity to sit down in my living room to play a games. I haven't touched my consoles in more than year, I do most of my gaming on my handhelds and a tiny bit on PC nowadays. That's why the Wii U and its on-Gamepad-gaming appeals to me. Is that crazy talk?

Seik

Banned
The fun times are just beginning: HD Mario. HD Zelda. HD Metroid

Those are the only technical specs that matter to me with a Nintendo console. For everything else, there's the Microsoft/Sony consoles. Third parties got me covered there just fine.

Exactly, while the PS4/720 will provide me my post-2013 third party games. My WiiU will provide me the exclusive Nintendo sweetness I need, just like this generation with the Wii and I ended up playing more on the Wii than my PS3. :D

Let me add a bit more: HD F-Zero. HD Smash Bros. HD Star Fox. HD Donkey Kong. HD Kirby.

Plus we all know there will be a few awesome exclusive third party games that will definitely be worth the money. :)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hand raised!, I have little drive and opportunity to sit down in my living room to play a games. I haven't touched my consoles in more than year, I do most of my gaming on my handhelds nowadays. That's why the Wii U and its on-Gamepad-gaming appeals to me. Is that crazy talk?

I get limited access to the tv due to the wife and kids. Playing games on the uPad is a very compelling reason for me to buy one. I just need assurances that most/all games on WiiU can be played that way.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Exactly, while the PS4/720 will provide me my post-2013 third party games. My WiiU will provide me the exclusive Nintendo sweetness I need, just like this generation with the Wii and I ended up playing more on the Wii than my PS3. :D

Let me add a bit more: HD F-Zero. HD Smash Bros. HD Star Fox. HD Donkey Kong. HD Kirby.

Plus we all know there will be a few awesome exclusive third party games that will definitely be worth the money. :)

If I can take off my tech googles for one second to stop dissing the lack of ambition Nintendo has shown with the WiiU hardware. These games have me super excited.

Graphically. I know they will look gorgeous. I really do hope that they do come for the system.

I can understand people who would rather just buy one console. It's economical and for some the collectors aspect is also important. It's also easier to maintain friendlists etc.

But, I for one stopped using only one console as soon as I got my first job with 14. I usually go with 2 contemporary consoles, and from now on 2 consoles and a PC. The rest I'll play whenever I can exchange consoles with a buddy.

Truth be told, unless Microsoft pulls something incredible and elevates Live in Europe to something worthwhile I won't be getting the 720. It's just not worth it, and after the 360 launch desaster I simply won't buy another MS hardware before it's first or second revision. I recently created a STEAM account, and from what I can see, there is little reason for me to ever get back to MS as the community features in STEAM are just so far beyond anything consoles have done... and that's before you start taking Mods into account.
Miiverse could bring another facette to that, but that remains to be seen.

I guess I will stop my skepticism once Retro shows what they've been up to.

Bumhead

Banned

PC and Wii U for me.

Of the major platform holders, only Nintendo interest me with regards to exclusives. In terms of graphics, anyone with a PC is going to have lots of fun watching Sony and Microsoft fanboys arguing the toss about visuals again.

-MB-

1GB of RAM as a total amount would be even more well, disappointing.

Taking the Eurogamer article strictly literally would require the presence of some amount of RAM beyond 1GB.

Personally now that I think of it, 1GB might not surprise me too much. It would even further explain why the launch ports (and exclusives such as Zombie U) dont seem to show much evidence of extra RAM beyond PS360 (although the mere fact they are ports matter as well). If Nintendo reserves a ~couple hundred MB's of that, and then you are going to use more RAM because of the 2nd screen, you might only end up with 100 or 200 MB's of extra usable RAM compared to PS360. Enough to matter, but not initially or greatly.

IF the system is using DDR3 and only ends up with 1GB it would seem like another huge fail On Nintendo's part. According to my chart DDR3 might cost ~$4 a GB wholesale. Although there may be other expenses involved with different bus configurations.

However IF Nintendo only went with 1GB, I expect they figured the rest of the system is not really powerful/fast enough to use more anyway, so it was pointless. Just like a PC card with 2GB of RAM and the lowest GPU possible would be pointless.

Consoles don't use slow ddr3 ram, it would be GDDR5, and that's expensive as hell

Sadist

I'm just a one console guy. But that's mostly because I buy consoles based on their first party content and by default that means Nintendo for me. I don't care enough for Sony's IP and especially the ones from MS to actually buy their consoles. I'd be doing it for the third party games and honestly, I like a 360 controller on PC just fine. I suppose I'm going to look into PC gaming more and more.

Plus handheld gaming is kinda slurping away my time.

Judging by this E3, the amount of 1st party might just be significantly reduced compared to the Wii. (Not counting the cheap cash-ins) Because the only thing we truly know at this point is that this measly game lineup hiding behind this ,,launch window only''-farce could easily be the only thing we'll get until next E3. And since the games there will not come out a day after the convention, add at least another 2 months before some full-fledged Nintendo game might hit the system.

So the way I am parsing this, it is "I only want one system, but I want every game to be available for that system, because I don't have much time." Fair?

I still don't see how that's realistic even if Nintendo were playing the same tech game Microsoft and Sony are.

Stewox

Banned
Yep, i said "files loaded into the memory", it's obvious the operating system in itself, the files that constitutes it, don't take 512MB of storage, and won't requires 512MB of ram to run. Some files stored on the NAND will be loaded into the ram, they will surely take a dozen of MB like i explained in my scenarios (stating numbers like "20MB"). All this matter is clear (OS files = surely XXMB in the ram, system features = maybe XXXMB in the ram, so system software layer/services = OS + features = XXMB + XXXMB = maybe XXXMB required in the ram pool) and you shouldn't focus on that (well, i know you wanted to talk about that to a few users since a moment but my post isn't the best suited for your explanation :p).

But as you said, even if it's only 15mb of files loaded into the memory, how much more ram it will need to run voice chat, the DRC camera, all the online infrastructure, miiverse, notifications, the dashboard quickly accessible, suspended mode, and other functions ? This is the real question.

So your contribution would be more valuable concerning the SLC NAND. Do techies around think that Nintendo could manage to have 1GB of ram total, 950MB for games, 50MB for the "OS", with all the expected system features working while playing, the multi-tasking, the suspend mode, etc ? Could the dedicated flash be of any help for that ?

Let's keep the suspend mode separate. because it's not an app that takes the RAM it self, it enabled the use of OS features, we have no sure clue how much, and it can take up to how much the whole OS takes if you upen up all the programs, make voice chats, everythign simultaneously ... the worst case scenario, well that can take siginificant amounts when stuff like youtube is used ... etc all those buffers for.

Still making my post that will break down some of this so we're not using 3 terms to explain a complex system.

Seik

Banned
Judging by this E3, the amount of 1st party might just be significantly reduced compared to the Wii. (Not counting the cheap cash-ins) Because the only thing we truly know at this point is that this measly game lineup hiding behind this ,,launch window only''-farce could easily be the only thing we'll get until next E3. And since the games there will not come out a day after the convention, add at least another 2 months before some full-fledged Nintendo game might hit the system.

I get your point, but I'm talking long term wise.

The Wii at launch was very, very poor imo. I went though Zelda in a heartbeat at launch then I sold it not too long after to realise I was wrong to sell it 2 years after. WiiU's launch is better even if it has no Zelda and I can't wait to see where we'll be with this console in 3 years.

AntMurda

I'm confused as to how you are able to gauge the first-party output at all. Nintendo showed much more imminent games this E3 than they did originally for Wii. Look at how empty we thought the second-half 3DS line up was going to be this year. "Oh they only have Paper Mario and NSMB2". Then Nintendo decides to announce 7 first-party games very quietly. A few games no one knew existed, and a few games were not expecting to be localized.

Stewox

Banned
Actually, next console OSes are going to be more like "ALT-TABing" in windows. On the 3DS, you can pause the game at any moment and load a web browser. That system has 32MB reserved out of 128MB total and does little more than that extremely basic web browser. What's the minimum requirement to run a reasonably featured web browser? Over 100MB? Then there's the other functions that the Systems is supposed to do while-in-game, like access to the mii-verse and video chat. That's why reserving 512MB is not that far fetched.

512MB is a lot ... 150MB should be enough.

Also everyone should keep in mind that these features/apps are well designed and optimized, it's not like windows firefox with 500 MB working-set with 10 text and 2 youtube pages opened...

User Tron

For me the problem is not that can't afford all consoles plus a PC. The problem is that I can't afford the time to play all the games. So next gen will be Wii U + PC and a wait and see approach for the other two.

kunonabi

raises hand. I spend more time on my xbox/ps3 watching dvds/blu rays than anything else. I move around a bit and I just don't have the money and space to lug around a bunch of consoles especially when the majority of my gaming is done on the Wii/DC

Platinum Games, Yakuza, and fighters are pretty much the reasons I ever turn on my HD twins to actually game. Platinum is already releasing P-100 on the Wii U, TTT2 is coming and I'm sure the Wii U will get more fighters than the Wii did. Yakuza is the only sticking point for me.

In all honesty if I can get my Nintendo and Platinum Games fix in one spot I'm pretty much set.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Anyone who still passionately defends this mess Nintendo calls the WiiU
I'm used to observing Nintendo seen in the prism that is yours, but I'll bite. Could you explain what is the mess you are talking about?

Cause I'm seeing a constructor selling its new console with a generation leap over its previous megahit, that will keep what made it successful in terms of controllers, adding the most capable controller in terms of inputs, that will act as an independant second screen to add new game design possibilities, and allow people to play with the TV off, which a cool selling point (moreso if your toilets are near your living room :).

The launch lineup is rather excellent for its core audience, wii owners (a quite different audience than x360 gamers), with sequels to 2 of the 5 most selling games ever, more 3rd party games than wii had at the time, and of higher quality, since they won't be a gen behind the games on competitive consoles this holiday.

Online is at the center of the Miiverse social network ; there's packed in video chat & instant messaging with a competent virtual keyboard. So there are more reasons to be optimistic than pessimistic at this stage about online.

At last Wii U will launch in a favourable period, with no other new hardware to buy this holiday from competition.

It should be a nice Christmas for Nintendo. After that it's hard to tell, but not knowing 2013 lineup from Nintendo and 3rd parties can hardly be called a mess.

itsgreen

It would not surprise me if it was just 1GB. I think Nintendo want to make this thing as cheap as possible.

Yeah won't surprise me at all. It's a healthy step better than other current gen consoles.

Also don't forget that it wouldn't make sense to do 2GB if the rest of the console doesn't really need it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Funny enough, the upcoming generation is one where only owning a Wii U may be a pretty workable scenario if combined with PC gaming. Provided you don't care for Uncharted or Halo. You will still get more exclusive games on Wii U than either Sony or MS console, and if you're going to invest in maintaining a proper gaming PC, most of the other games coming out will be available there - and you won't be locked into a single set of specs for the entire generation.

Sadist

So the way I am parsing this, it is "I only want one system, but I want every game to be available for that system, because I don't have much time." Fair?

I still don't see how that's realistic even if Nintendo were playing the same tech game Microsoft and Sony are.
Well, it's just a case of "it's nice to want things" right?

I know full well that Nintendo won't have every third party release but I think it's still frustrating that as a fan of their consoles, output and liking games in general (hopefully not the crazy kind) you're sort of being forced to buy a second system to enjoy everything. From a third party support perspective I mean. I know, some posters on this board would argue with logic that it's the risk of being a one console owner and that machine being a Nintendo branded system. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Let's keep the suspend mode separate. because it's not an app that takes the RAM it self, it enabled the use of OS features, we have no sure clue how much, and it can take up to how much the whole OS takes if you upen up all the programs, make voice chats, everythign simultaneously ... the worst case scenario, well that can take siginificant amounts when stuff like youtube is used ... etc all those buffers for.

Still making my post that will break down some of this so we're not using 3 terms to explain a complex system.

Well, it's a waste of time, it's like those multipliers, they are FAR from perfect, but everyone is using them. So it's the same case for OS, people use it to summarize basically all the system's features aside from gaming-stuff. It's not ideal, but that way it's easily understandable and quickly wrote (personally i always use quotation marks and add "software layer" after and insist that it's not only the "windows" of the Wii U that is in question but all its functions).

You better develop your idea you touched upon before, about something akin to windows virtual memory that may use the SLC nand, do you think it's possible, the SLC flash is quick enough for instance ?

Concretely, is there a way for the scenario 3 to exist ? 1GB total, divided between nearly 1GB for games (hence why sources are saying 1GB, because 970MB for games can be stated as 1GB) and the rest for the system functions (files loaded for the OS aspect + all the features used while playing, the online infrastructure, miiverse, dashboard in the background, accomplishments, voice & video chat, and at least some basic multi-tasking like web-browsing) ? Is it even possible such a list of features can run in the background at the same time you play for just a few dozens of MB ? Maybe with some clever mechanisms, one could be the use of the nand ? Or this feature imprint is greater than 50MB and we're talking 150MB here, but then it won't be those 970MB-akin-to-1GB for games, but 850MB, a quantity more difficult to round up as 1GB and that would contradict the "1GB for games" which is sure now.

It's been confirmed ages ago that there will be no backwards compatibility to GCN. And I really doubt they'd re-release Pikmin yet again.

I'm glad someone said this to him, I lost the will to type at the time.

Me. Finite amount of time, space, money; Nintendo games are on Nintendo systems. Decision made.

You'll come to realize RVP isn't as great as he's made out to be soon enough. But all the best in their game today!

Hat-trick, 100th prem goal. How would you like these words? Rare, medium or well done? AHHHHHHHHHHH. Shit on me, I'd be a liar if I said I thought that was gonna happen!

The_Lump

Banned
The only developer comments on RAM have been that it has loads and that it's a good thing. Numbers aren't so important. It has enough. So everyone should probably chillax a bit.

Lets move on to games again:

So, games. Games will be good.

AmFreak

Consoles don't use slow ddr3 ram, it would be GDDR5, and that's expensive as hell

The next XBox is rumored to have partly DDR3 or DDR4 .
And you can reach the speed of the XDR or GDDR3 in the PS3 or the whole main bandwidth of the 360 with Dual Channel and 2 1600 Mhz modules. The Eurogamer article also mentioned that the 1 GB of memory in the WiiU is "rather slow". But they will most probably use GDDR5 cause it will be cheaper, as long as they don't go fully retarded with low bandwidth.

Septimius

Unless they use some bloated ass browser like Firefox has turned into 200 MB is all a browser will ever need, and that's with tabs open, multiple 720p videos buffering etc...

Page file.

Funny enough, the upcoming generation is one where only owning a Wii U may be a pretty workable scenario if combined with PC gaming. Provided you don't care for Uncharted or Halo. You will still get more exclusive games on Wii U than either Sony or MS console, and if you're going to invest in maintaining a proper gaming PC, most of the other games coming out will be available there - and you won't be locked into a single set of specs for the entire generation.

What if I don´t like PC?

And there are a lot more of (exclusive) games aside Halo and Uncharted.

If I can take off my tech googles for one second to stop dissing the lack of ambition Nintendo has shown with the WiiU hardware. These games have me super excited.

Graphically. I know they will look gorgeous. I really do hope that they do come for the system.

Sure, graphically, but ambitiously? I can only imagine how some will clumsily attempt to defend a Star Fox game that plays identically to the 64 one. "At least it has nice graphics."

That was nerve-wracking to say the least. Money well spent imo ;)

Edit: Sry double post.

What I liked from him, and Kagawa too, is they had a go direct on goal, and on target. Last season there was well, well too much dilly-dallying on the edge of the box, just passing it around and no one making a move, in the end just passing it out and relying on goals from crosses all the bloody time. So yeah, RVP and Kagawa are really welcomed by me. Gotta sort this conceding goals out though after what happened last season... it can't go on.

This counts as Fifa 13 talk where game/tech discussion percentages are concerned btw.

Nonetheless, you have to take into account the fact that all developers who talked about the Wii U memory never criticized it, blamed it for some hypothetic difficulties they would have met. Quite the contrary according to different interviews we read on that matter. And my sources are positive on that department as well. So it seems ram won't be a problem for titles suited for the system. I did this little assessment to summarize what we know, how things were at a certain time, how they may have evolved, and the three possible scenarios concerning ram. I think we can't delve into this subject far moar until we'll have concrete info surely at release, and it would be better to talk about other components.
Obviously developers won't critisize the RAM aspect because the machine has more of it than the ones from where they are porting. People are concerned for the proyects that will be designed for the future competitor's machines that will (acording to speculations) have more than 2 GB available for games.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Obviously developers won't critisize the RAM aspect because the machine has more of it than the ones from where they are porting. People are concerned for the proyects that will be designed for the future competitor's machines that will (acording to speculations) have more than 2 GB available for games.

They could have, if the memory pool wasn't balanced in relation with the GPU and CPU performances. And it's not the case. For the ports, we'll see once the competitors launch their systems but it will be more a question of publishers approach/choice than technical limitations i think.

Fou-Lu

Yup, this is my plan.

Though Sony first party titles could potentially mess it up.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Then you don't take graphics that seriously, and there's a chance you might like Wii U greatest games.

No point painting everyone with that brush. I take graphics somewhat seriously and am by extension mostly a PC gamer.

Thing is, I just really enjoy the ease of use and convenience of consoles. They are always plugged in to the biggest and best screen of my house, the best sound system in my house, in front of the nicest sofa in my house.
I can play the best games with my preferred method of control, with one button press I have my friends with me in a party ready to play, and if they come over they can just pick up another controller.
I also really love the fact that my PS3 is a fantastic media hub that streams content, while i'm still connected to my friends.

These things could be "emulated" by building a specialized PC, but it's just not at all the same experience.
Besides, the PC missed out on plenty of great games this generation.

I'm confused as to how you are able to gauge the first-party output at all. Nintendo showed much more imminent games this E3 than they did originally for Wii. Look at how empty we thought the second-half 3DS line up was going to be this year. "Oh they only have Paper Mario and NSMB2". Then Nintendo decides to announce 7 first-party games very quietly. A few games no one knew existed, and a few games were not expecting to be localized.

The games they got ready for these 4 months+ barely look like games with a certain amount manpower behind them. We've pretty much seen everything one year ago, where it was supposed to be only a glimpse of the console. And they barely improved the demos they've shown even, if you consider that there's been a 12 month difference. If that's the best they can get ready for a new console, I fear they have completely mishandled HD development. The launch window excuse obviously is a cheap farce that completely contradicts the Nintendo from just one year ago. Obviously, many games will be delayed deep into 2013 and none of these Directs have proven themselves to be worthwhile for any satisfying major software announcements. As soon as the launch window is over, they'll ask us to wait for E3 for further announcements. It would be typical Nintendo, really.

The launch lineup is rather excellent for its core audience, wii owners (a quite different audience than x360 gamers), with sequels to 2 of the 5 most selling games ever, more 3rd party games than wii had at the time, and of higher quality, since they won't be a gen behind the games on competitive consoles this holiday.
[...]
After that it's hard to tell, but not knowing 2013 lineup from Nintendo and 3rd parties can hardly be called a mess.

I'm a Wii owner. It was my primary console in this gen, but I don't see the excellence you're talking about. It's poor tech demos and Ninja Gaiden 3 (LOL) from Nintendo and ports that I could get anywhere else if I would be interested. Wii Fit is an add-on to some uninteresting non-game from last gen, but I should be happy about it because it sold well? If they succeed with this crap among soccer moms, it's still a mess for the audience they promised to ,,get back'' and actual Nintendo fans like me. Usually there has been a good amount of gems beyond these unbearable Mii franchises, but right now it's the opposite on WiiU. I mean, I'm a fan but even I can't lower my standards THAT much. Especially when 300€+ are involved.
And I don't get how the lack of knowledge of titles beyond launch window is NOT a problem. It's a new console ffs. Launch buyers should know what the future brings, especially if the launch is just slightly better than your usual crap launch, while Pikmin is the only Nintendogame with some kind of effort behind it for at least 6 months. ,,B-b-but we know Retro surely must be doing somethin..!!!'' is not a valid excuse. As long as they show nothing, I expect nothing. I know Nintendos BS too well. A somehow bearable launch lineup also can only bring you so far. Look where the Vita is right now, after it actually had a superior launch to the WiiU. (It's dying for crying out loud)

This is what I did this generation.

And last generation as well.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Thing is, I just really enjoy the ease of use and convenience of consoles.
Nintendo is taking this approach one step further, making Wii U even more convenient to use than a console or a PC (which can easily be connected to an HDTV by the way). Just grab the GamePad and start playing. If your eyes don't bleed at looking at a 480p screen, this convenience should appeal to you and become an habit. Based on impressions since Wii U's reveal, there are far more people who will value this than people who will be repulsed by the GamePad screen.

Yup, me too.
My brother had a Xbox360 for some time but I never wanted to play it.
I learned that PC + Nintendo consoles are enough for me.

I'm tempted to do this but it all really depends on Sony. They still have some exclusives I love like Uncharted. Everything about the Wii U excites me though and if I could go PC / Nintendo I will.

Azure J

If the PC could make sure to snag things like Capcom fighters and folks like PlatinumGames get cozy on Wii U, PC/Wii U/3DS/Vita might be the best of all worlds really. That is until some one off game on 720/PS4 comes out and I'm all "do want" for it which then makes me go back through their libraries.

big_erk

This is where I am right now. If I hadn't started Mass Effect on 360, I probably wouldn't have touched a console besides the Wii this gen. Other than Netflix and MLB.TV, my PS3 is sitting idle. I'm not saying the 360 and PS3 aren't any good, if I felt that way I wouldn't have purchased them. But they see limited playtime from me. Nintendo's franchises and the odd 3rd party game keep the Wii relevant. Other than that the majority of my gaming time is spent on one of my PC gaming rigs (desktop or laptop). That's where I played Borderlands, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Arkaham City and all of the other non Nintendo games I craved. So I would be perfectly happy next-gen with a Wii U and PC, but I know I will end up with all 3 consoles at some point. That's just the tech junkie in me.

Banned

NOW we're gettin somewhere :)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Nintendo is taking this approach one step further, making Wii U even more convenient to use than a console or a PC (which can easily be connected to an HDTV by the way). Just grab the GamePad and start playing. If your eyes don't bleed at looking at a 480p screen, this convenience should appeal to you and become an habit. Based on impressions since Wii U's reveal, there are far more people who will value this than people who will be repulsed by the GamePad screen.

Oh I agree. Nintendo takes ease of use to another level, and I applaud them for it.

But i'm not personally invested in Nintendo's staple franchises and I want the most bang for my buck when it comes to consoles in terms of hardware and features. I also have little faith in the Wii-U as a media streaming unit, and we still don't know anything about the online infrastructure. Most likely it will be trailing behind the competition in both these areas.

Add the possible lack of third-party backing, and I can't possibly justify a Wii-U as my single main console. I'm still interested in the device as an additional unit that offers gaming experiences that the other consoles cannot, so i'll probably end up with one anyway.

cloudyy

And I don't get how the lack of knowledge of titles beyond launch window is NOT a problem. It's a new console ffs. Launch buyers should know what the future brings, especially if the launch is just slightly better than your usual crap launch, while Pikmin is the only Nintendogame with some kind of effort behind it for at least 6 months.
Buying a console at launch is a bad idea anyway. And there is no benefit imo in announcing games way ahead of it's release date and even then they already said that smash bros is coming and we all know there will be a 3D Mario and a Zelda game.
Announcing games now or later won't change their release date. GT5 was announced before the launch of the ps3 and came like a half generation later. And don't get me started with the last guardian. That said, let's all wait until the 13th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom