• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU Update V5.0.0 out now. Quick Start Function.

Waiting for the update that will stop preventing Wii games from booting with no HDMI attached while TV is set to HDMI, and to allow you to use the Gamepad to "point the wiimote at the tv".

Other than that, really happy with the update. It's now stopped futilely waiting 6 seconds looking for a network when I've moved it to a friends house, and then complaining. This is nice.

ph00p

Banned
Nintendo specifically says NOT to use a usb drive.
I'm assuming you didn't mean hard drive.

Thats a nonsense defense, just for informational purposes I've got an external harddrive connected to my WiiU at all times it's esata to USB 3.0 and everything hates it my PC my TV my PS4, but WiiU strangely enough is happy to use it for everything, I've got all my games on there and I've never had a hitch.

bart64

Banned
I came in here to say the same thing. I only use the Gamepad if I'm forced to (settings, eShop, yesterdays update), and I don't mind the current setup of waiting for the Miiverse plaza thing to load up, pressing X to bring up the icons and selecting what I want. However, why not extend the quick boot to other controller types?
I don't think it's possible to use the other controllers without the OS being loaded. This update takes advantage of the unique ability of the gamepad to perform simple tasks without the help of the console, just like the tv remote functions.

th4tguy

Thats a nonsense defense, just for informational purposes I've got an external harddrive connected to my WiiU at all times it's esata to USB 3.0 and everything hates it my PC my TV my PS4, but WiiU strangely enough is happy to use it for everything, I've got all my games on there and I've never had a hitch.

By chance, were you trying to use the driver on those other devices AFTER letting your WiiU format it? If so, I wouldn't expect it to work on any of those things without first reformatting it.

Waiting for the update that will stop preventing Wii games from booting with no HDMI attached while TV is set to HDMI, and to allow you to use the Gamepad to "point the wiimote at the tv".

IIRC, you can avoid this already by booting directly to the Wii menu (hold B on the GamePad during startup).

HUELEN10

Just updated, bus-powered HDD here, absolutely no hiccups!

Can't stand the quick menu's lack of customizations, so I am ecstatic that it can be disabled entirely. Good on Ninty for giving us the choice!

The worst thing about the save data loss might actually be that I'm turned off from using any kind of external storage from now on and I have the basic set with a paltry 3.5 gigs left over from the space taken up by the OS.

No more VC games for me, that's for sure.

Ninja Dom

Just updated, bus-powered HDD here, absolutely no hiccups!

Can't stand the quick menu's lack of customizations, so I am ecstatic that it can be disabled entirely. Good on Ninty for giving us the choice!

No Y cable? No external power supply? Any issues?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The worst thing about the save data loss might actually be that I'm turned off from using any kind of external storage from now on and I have the basic set with a paltry 3.5 gigs left over from the space taken up by the OS.

usb drive weren't supported, if you use a proper hdd that issue wouldn't happen
what happened sucks obviously

HUELEN10

You can do what I do and simply make backups. Use an HDD as your main disk for everything, but once a week plug in a backup disk and copy everything. That is what I do. Hell, I still have backups of my Wii and DSi and 3DS SD cards as well as my PSP memory stick on my computer. But yeah, you have 4 USB ports to work with so even if you are using bus-powered disks, you are covered.

Remember, data loss sucks, but regular backups can help keep your data safe. You are starting fresh with Wii U, so make sure you start off right.
No Y cable? No external power supply? Any issues?
Y cable of course, I don't wanna take any risks. Been running like a dream and matches Wii U perfectly.
dUZCYtw.png

Remember, always use a Y cable with a bus-powered disk, and always connect both ends directly to the console; you don't want to connect the power end to an AC adapter and have the disk run all night!

Pheidias

People complaining about not being able to use quick launch with other controllers aren't understanding how this works.

The gamepad in it self is like a console. It has onboard storage a OS and so on.

What they are doing with the quick launch function is that when you power on the gamepad you only start the gamepad, it shows you a set of quick launch and when you select on it the starts the wii u with instruction to boot directly into whatever you selected.

You can try this out by turning on the gamepad while away from the console.

Quick launch as it is today will never be able to work with another controller..

Finally managed to update; I really like the slight changes to the OS's appearance, also everything seems slightly quicker than before minus the quick start which of course is quicker.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

I'm running fw v5, and I'm using a usb flash drive (64GB made by HP). I have absolutely no issues with my setup.

Blues1990

Everything is working nicely for me, with regards to the new update. I can certainly see myself using the quick start function in the foreseeable future, and I hope Nintendo continues to update the system with the other essential features the system needs, such as the account system & deep colour output.

Is there any way to manage save files that are in the weirdo Wii U format on a PC? I want to see if my saves are still there even if my Wii U can't see the drive.

Seeing all the talk about HDDs: I recently had to connect my old spare 3.5" external HDD to my Wii U to download W101 from the MK8 promotion and there's one thing I wonder. Do I have to keep the HDD attached at all times or will the Wii U just don't show W101 if the HDD isn't connected? I ask because I will move the console again this weekend for the weekly Mario Kart session with friends and I wouldn't want to carry the HDD with me since we won't play W101 anyway.

Seeing all the talk about HDDs: I recently had to connect my old spare 3.5" external HDD to my Wii U to download W101 from the MK8 promotion and there's one thing I wonder. Do I have to keep the HDD attached at all times or will the Wii U just don't show W101 if the HDD isn't connected? I ask because I will move the console again this weekend for the weekly Mario Kart session with friends and I wouldn't want to carry the HDD with me since we won't play W101 anyway.

If you disconnect it there will be an empty space on the grid menu where the game would have been. I should know, I have a lot of empty spaces now :) :) :)

Timeaisis

Boot time seems to be significantly faster. Even for non-quick start mode. Anyway, good update. I haven't got a gamepad ping yet, but we'll see how annoying that is before I turn it off forever.

HUELEN10

Is there any way to manage save files that are in the weirdo Wii U format on a PC? I want to see if my saves are still there even if my Wii U can't see the drive.
I do not believe so, but if you do, make sure it is mounted as read-only, you don't want to fuck around with it. Besides, is there even a point? I thought it just didn't accept the disk because it looked like it was "signed" to a different system for some reason. if that's the case, that data most likely will not be able to be read on that Wii U.

I mean, care to elaborate? What exactly happens when you turn off the Wii U, plug the disk in, turn it on, and go to system settings?
Consolidation is your friend. Depending on how you have things on the disk and the NAND you could just take the Wii U, but I think in the long run one should just consolidate everything to one disk and treat the console and the tethered disk as a single unit. And remember, back up! This thread actually made me want to make a thread about it.

KHlover

Banned
People complaining about not being able to use quick launch with other controllers aren't understanding how this works.

The gamepad in it self is like a console. It has onboard storage a OS and so on.

What they are doing with the quick launch function is that when you power on the gamepad you only start the gamepad, it shows you a set of quick launch and when you select on it the starts the wii u with instruction to boot directly into whatever you selected.

You can try this out by turning on the gamepad while away from the console.

Quick launch as it is today will never be able to work with another controller..

Yep. Had a mini heartattack today when nothing happened after I tried to start MK8 from the Quick Start menu. As it turns out my multi socket was turned off XD

I do not believe so, but if you do, make sure it is mounted as read-only, you don't want to fuck around with it. Besides, is there even a point? I thought it just didn't accept the disk because it looked like it was "signed" to a different system for some reason. if that's the case, that data most likely will not be able to be read on that Wii U.

I mean, care to elaborate? What exactly happens when you turn off the Wii U, plug the disk in, turn it on, and go to system settings?

So after the update yesterday my main menu booted up and much like the 3DS on startup I expected the icons to fill in, but my spaces on the gamepad's grid menu never populated with the VC games and Wind Waker which were on my flash drive. When I went into Data Management it was only detecting the internal memory. The flash drive was not being detected. I tried rebooting, unplugging and plugging back in with the system off. The flash drive is not dead because when I plug it into the computer I get the option to format it.

This leads me to think that the save data never got removed but the system is just refusing to read that drive. Since the way it detects the drives and reads the files is tied to the system itself (ie: you can't put your save data on someone else's console) I'm thinking that the update changed something related to that.

I didn't think to try the front USB ports, but I will when I get home today. Also curious to see if I can reinstall the firmware or something.

MrMan2k3

You can do this, and it will just show empty spaces where the icons should be for games on your HDD. When you reconnect the hard drive it will fill in the empty icon spaces, seemingly at random. If you have a nice organized layout for all your icons, it'll be all messed up.

HUELEN10

So after the update yesterday my main menu booted up and much like the 3DS on startup I expected the icons to fill in, but my spaces on the gamepad's grid menu never populated with the VC games and Wind Waker which were on my flash drive. When I went into Data Management it was only detecting the internal memory. The flash drive was not being detected. I tried rebooting, unplugging and plugging back in with the system off. The flash drive is not dead because when I plug it into the computer I get the option to format it.

This leads me to think that the save data never got removed but the system is just refusing to read that drive. Since the way it detects the drives and reads the files is tied to the system itself (ie: you can't put your save data on someone else's console) I'm thinking that the update changed something related to that.

I didn't think to try the front USB ports, but I will when I get home today. Also curious to see if I can reinstall the firmware or something.
Crazy idea, but it's worth a shot: Plug the flash stick into a powered USB hub, then plug the hub into the front Wii U port, and then turn the system on.

Make sure that only the stick is plugged in to the powered hub. if it works, act quickly and copy your saves back to NAND.

Crazy idea, but it's worth a shot: Plug the flash stick into a powered USB hub, then plug the hub into the front Wii U port, and then turn the system on.

Make sure that only the stick is plugged in to the powered hub. if it works, act quickly and copy your saves back to NAND.

Whoa! Awesome idea. I'll give it a shot later today if I can find a powered hub.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What the fuck?

The new update killed my GamePad and my Wii U's ability to output Component video. Only HDMI works now. The GamePad won't even turn on or respond to any button presses. And I had to switch to HDMI to make sure my Wii U was still working. It's stuck at the Plaza but I can't get the GamePad to turn on.

I turned it on last night to see what the blinking was for and it showed me instructions immediately, I paged through them and when I got to page 4 or 5 it abruptly shut off with no warning. A few seconds later the Wii U turned itself off too.

Now it won't work. Fucking what the fuck? It's a Wind Waker Wii U.

Is there a way to reset anything? What do I do?

ph00p

Banned
By chance, were you trying to use the driver on those other devices AFTER letting your WiiU format it? If so, I wouldn't expect it to work on any of those things without first reformatting it.

Nope! It was ntfs then exfat and both of them made my devices sad, the WiiU is just cool with weird stuff though.

HUELEN10

What the fuck?

The new update killed my GamePad and my Wii U's ability to output Component video. Only HDMI works now. The GamePad won't even turn on or respond to any button presses. And I had to switch to HDMI to make sure my Wii U was still working. It's stuck at the Plaza but I can't get the GamePad to turn on.

I turned it on last night to see what the blinking was for and it showed me instructions immediately, I paged through them and when I got to page 4 or 5 it abruptly shut off with no warning. A few seconds later the Wii U turned itself off too.

Put the Gamepad in your car so your Wii U is too far away to detect it. Then, turn on your console and wait for it to fully load. Then grab a friend's gamepad, and follow these steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX-daIoYsJw

No way of knowing for sure what happened, but perhaps the gamepad was improperly flashed by the console? Still doesn't explain the component issue. Worth a try before calling Nintendo to further diagnose the issue though. Since it is a WW console, it is still under warranty, so there's that at least.

Deku Tree

What the fuck?

You can try totally unplugging it, and leaving it to rest for a while, and then plugging it back it. Some people have tried that with success.

Otherwise you gotta call Nintendo.

If you disconnect it there will be an empty space on the grid menu where the game would have been. I should know, I have a lot of empty spaces now :) :) :)

Thanks! And I just read what happened to you and I'm sorry that happned. I hope you manage to get your saves back atleast somehow :(

Consolidation is your friend. Depending on how you have things on the disk and the NAND you could just take the Wii U, but I think in the long run one should just consolidate everything to one disk and treat the console and the tethered disk as a single unit. And remember, back up! This thread actually made me want to make a thread about it.

Hmm that's a good point, maybe I should do that later on. So far W101 is the only game I have on a USB drive since it's 10gb big and the rest of my VC games and WindWaker sits on my NAND just fine. I have a Basic Wii U but I buy most games physical anyway. Still I should really consolidate and backup things properly sometimes you are right. Just not with this external drive as it's 2/3 as big as the Wii U itself and has a big power-brick so I will definitely buy a new drive in the future :p Also good idea on the thread! :)

You can do this, and it will just show empty spaces where the icons should be for games on your HDD. When you reconnect the hard drive it will fill in the empty icon spaces, seemingly at random. If you have a nice organized layout for all your icons, it'll be all messed up.

Ah alright it good that it works like this :) I can see the layout thing being annoying though since I only have one game on a USB drive so far it shouldn't cause me any issues yet.

tebunker

Banned
http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/132166

I'm trying to find info but the update just released so I guess it is to be expected I found minimal results. Basically the only suggestions in the link are try disabling quick start or try switch USB plug locations. Hugstable(the gaffer I quoted before) tried redownloading the update and got results. I hope something works for you.

This is my thread in the support forums. My solution has been to put the drive in a self powered hit dock I had around and disable the quick launch menu.

I had just disabled the quick launch menu and it seemed like it worked for a bit, but then after a mp match on mk8 it lost connection to the drive/enclosure for like a half second.

I didn't check it on any other games and just moved the drive over to the dock and was able to play for hours with no issue.

Next test is to turn on the quick start again and see if there are any issues.

I would prefer to use my Y cabled enclosure but I am fine with this for now.

It sucks having to turn the drive off and o. All the time but oh well.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Put the Gamepad in your car so your Wii U is too far away to detect it. Then, turn on your console and wait for it to fully load. Then grab a friend's gamepad, and follow these steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX-daIoYsJw

No way of knowing for sure what happened, but perhaps the gamepad was improperly flashed by the console? Still doesn't explain the component issue. Worth a try before calling Nintendo to further diagnose the issue though. Since it is a WW console, it is still under warranty, so there's that at least.
A friend with a Wii U? That's hilarious. No one owns a Wii U. :(

I was thinking the Component being disabled is a setting that I can reenable? Or does the Wii U not have a setting to turn it off that might have been flipped off by the update?

You can try totally unplugging it, and leaving it to rest for a while, and then plugging it back it. Some people have tried that with success.

Otherwise you gotta call Nintendo.
Unplug the Wii U? But it's the GamePad that isn't working. Should I remove the battery? I wish it would at least show me a flashing "sorry, there's a problem!!!" light on the GamePad. It doesn't do anything at all. It's as if the battery is dead. But it can't be. Can it? It doesn't even turn on when I have it plugged into the AC adapter or sitting on the cradle. It's just kaput. Completely dead. Only like 7 months old.

BraXzy

I've got the update, had the Quick Start info pop up, but I still don't have the feature. When I press the home menu I just get the typical stuff, there is no sign of a quick start option. What am I missing?

What I really don't understand is how you could switch between component and HDMI without going into system settings, which requires you to use the GamePad that apparently doesn't work.

I've got the update, had the Quick Start info pop up, but I still don't have the feature. When I press the home menu I just get the typical stuff, there is no sign of a quick start option. What am I missing?

Turn off the console and wait until the power light turns orange to indicate it's checking for updates in standby. It'll ping the GamePad (for the first time, in your case), and you can access the quick-start menu from that point on.

Whenever I've tried this it hasn't worked, unfortunately. It cannot find the TV signal, and boots me to the Wii U menu.
This is what I was talking about. The only way to get around this is to set your TV type to non-HDMI, where it will simply assume you've connected a cable anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What I really don't understand is how you could switch between component and HDMI without going into system settings, which requires you to use the GamePad that apparently doesn't work.
I figured if the option does exist, then it's easy to think that an update could have disabled it. So that's no problem. The problem is just my dead GamePad now. I'll have to call Nintendo. I fucking HATE customer service calls. But if I have to. I have to. I Tweeted NOA first to see if they have suggestions. I'd rather they call me though. Like when I Tweeted about my bank debit card being denied and the nice girl at CS up all night asked for my phone number and CALLED ME WHEN SHE WAS READY! Instead of me having to wait on the phone, I could do my business and have the call come to me when they were ready for me. THAT is how customer service should work. America's Most Convenient Bank indeed.

Does NOA do that? Because it's 2014 and this is how all companies should work.

HUELEN10

Boy is this the truth. How geographically separated are Nintendo console owners?
There are 2 units in my place (roommates), that's something uncommon I guess? Like half of my friends have a Wii U TBH. Guess it depends where you live? Must be almost impossible to find ones in some places.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Boy is this the truth. How geographically separated are Nintendo console owners?
No idea. It sucks because I actually love my Wii U. The GamePad makes it so easy for me to pick it up like it was a handheld, play comfortably for a while whatever game I want to play at the time, then put it back down without ever having to turn my TV on and set it to the correct input then sit there in a certain spot to play. Fuck I love the GamePad. I literally have not played my Wii U on my TV since I got it. And I refuse to buy any game that doesn't let me play only on the GamePad.

I'm sad. WTF? This is the first time I've ever actually had a piece of technology bricked. Now I know exactly what that term means. IT IS A BRICK NOW. Maybe I'll try removing the battery and leaving it out for a while. I doubt it'll fix it.

AzVal

Can not update or access the Eshop, getting error 105-3102 and from what I googled this was fixed in japan using the Wii mode but not on America, I am not even in the States to send the thing for repairs,
what to do I do GAF help me!

Tybolt

Banned
Is it wrong that while I love my Wii U like a disappointing child, all I really want is for an update to enable the BUTTONS on the GamePad for off-TV Wii Mode before I love it unconditionally?

Edit: I meant as a Classic Controller, yes. Of course it can't waggle.

Riki

Is it wrong that while I love my Wii U like a disappointing child, all I really want is for an update to enable the BUTTONS on the GamePad for off-TV Wii Mode before I love it unconditionally?
It's just not realistic. That would require them emulating every single Wii game with software instead of hardware.

I'm hoping for that as an E3 announcement. The GamePad becoming the all-around classic controller.

Blizzard

Banned

Edit: I meant as a Classic Controller, yes. Of course it can't waggle.
Well since the gamepad has motion controls technically it COULD waggle, it would just be scary to try to waggle it in the necessary ways for Wii games. :p

I can't find a powered USB hub at the moment, but I can confirm my USB drive's LED very faintly flashes when plugged into the Wii U and if I plug it into my computer the LED flashes normally.

Considering other people are having issues I'm thinking the firmware changed the power levels that the Wii U's USB ports put out or it tried to detect what voltage needs to be put out and wrongly assumes a lower one for some hard drives / thumb drives.

HUELEN10

I can't find a powered USB hub at the moment, but I can confirm my USB drive's LED very faintly flashes when plugged into the Wii U and if I plug it into my computer the LED flashes normally.

Considering other people are having issues I'm thinking the firmware changed the power levels that the Wii U's USB ports put out or it tried to detect what voltage needs to be put out and wrongly assumes a lower one for some hard drives / thumb drives.
I wouldn't dick around with it any more at this point then, not until you can find a powered hub or one of THESE Y-cables to plug it into. You don't want to damage the thumbdrive!
iwWao8I.jpg

It very well could be that they raised the powered requirement of drives to make sure everyone uses self-powered or bus-powered with y-cable drives. As soon as you get one of those y-cables pictured above or a powered hub, go for it and let us know what happens! Best of luck once again.

Top Bottom