• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU Update V5.0.0 out now. Quick Start Function.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo just added a Mario Kart ad message on my quick start screen. That means they can now promote what they want at boot. Good for them I'd say? Quick boot being so fast, it's not annoying.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm in a reminiscent mood tonight, so let me tell you a WiiU gamepad story of sorts, from the perspective of an old man.

Back in my university days, the unix X protocol was the only way to get a remote machine send graphics to your terminal - across the room or across buildings. The terminal had to be no slotch either - in X land the remote app issues draw commands and the termial does all the hard work along carrying those commands and producing the actual pixels on your screen. Mind you that was before the era of VNC/RFB and the likes - sending complete framebuffers was out of the question. Heck, we had to ask for deiberate permission from the campus sysadmin to be allowed to use an X session, lest we clogged the computer labs network with 'fancy pixel protocols'.

Today I'm holding a game controller which is essentially an intelligent terminal to a $200 game console - that terminal can both show full framebuffers from the console at < 16ms latency, but also work authonomously and bootstrap the console. Heck, it can even control my tv via 'foreign protocols'. And it's not a smartphone, a tablet or any other machine which would quaify as major computational power circa the ealry '90s. It's just a *game controller* with a tiny amount of very efficient and sharp-focused silicon strapped on.

Boy, do I wish I could show the wiiU to my university self and our sysadmins : )

maks

Having trouble since the update...

I can't seem to turn on the console through my gamepad anymore. When I turn on my gamepad it says the Quickstart menu is not ready yet. After this screen it tells me the gamepad needs to be closer to the console.....I'm standing right next to it. Anyone have this problem?

I now have to turn on the wii u by pressing the consoles power button.

wsippel

Banned
Having trouble since the update...

I can't seem to turn on the console through my gamepad anymore. When I turn on my gamepad it says the Quickstart menu is not ready yet. After this screen it tells me the gamepad needs to be closer to the console.....I'm standing right next to it. Anyone have this problem?

I now have to turn on the wii u by pressing the consoles power button.
How much time passed since you updated? Because the Quickstart Menu installs after the firmware update, when the Wii U is in standby. When you turn off the system, after a few seconds, maybe half a minute, the power LED should switch to orange for a few minutes and then back to red, after that the Quickstart Menu should be ready.

maks

How much time passed since you updated? Because the Quickstart Menu installs after the firmware update, when the Wii U is in standby. When you turn off the system, after a few seconds, maybe half a minute, the power LED should switch to orange for a few minutes and then back to red, after that the Quickstart Menu should be ready.

Its been several days now. The console never switches to red, it just keeps blinking orange. I actually can't turn on the system with any of my controllers (gamepad, wiimote, pro controller).

I'm still unable to figure this thing out. I've messed around with system settings trying each 'power setting' on Disable and Enable. I've also disconnected my console from the power outlet. It can't seem to get past this blinking orange light.

wsippel

Banned
Its been several days now. The console never switches to red, it just keeps blinking orange. I actually can't turn on the system with any of my controllers (gamepad, wiimote, pro controller).

I'm still unable to figure this thing out. I've messed around with system settings trying each 'power setting' on Disable and Enable. I've also disconnected my console from the power outlet. It can't seem to get past this blinking orange light.
It blinks? Pretty sure it's not supposed to blink. Sorry, no idea what's going on.

Vagabundo

^^ Sounds like the update didn't install right.

Is there a way to reset the Wii U?

I think a call to Nintendo Support is your next step.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I actually tried this. Brings up an error saying the disc isn't in the slot and to insert the correct disc. Then it boots you to the regular Wii U menu. Overall I'm a big fan of the update. The Wii U OS might be still slow, but good on Ninty for letting me skip everything and go straight to the games, just like the Gamecube and before era

It would be much more usefull if Nintendo just made this quick-launch-button to mean "start the game on disc", instead of "start Assassin's Creed IV from disc".

I seem to be having a weird problem with the Quick Boot in that I try to preload something and it gets an error and I have to hold the power button on the Wii U for it to turn off. If I try it a second time, it works fine, but this exact situation has happened over 4 times now. Hm...

maks

On saturday i finally got a response from my email to customer support. It looked like an automated message that told me to call support...lol.

After calling in that same day and running through troubleshooting I was instructed to send the console in for repair. Nintendo will pay for it. Support did have trouble removing the charge and told me they will email me later with an update after this is fixed. Im still waiting for the update and hopefully soon after the shipping box will be on its way to me.

Top Bottom