• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU Update V5.0.0 out now. Quick Start Function.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Man, I hate updating consoles and handhelds, at least the ones I have, this thing has been going forever.

image.php

oSoLucky

Automatic install is by far the biggest thing here for me, and something that I hope can be selected as an option in every system from here on out.

Man, I hate updating consoles and handhelds, at least the ones I have, this thing has been going forever.
Same. I just got mine and it looks like it's going to take forever. I wonder if it's going to do an initial update and then this one (or ones before this one) or will it do them all in one swoop or does it only need this one?

If it's the worst case scenario, it looks like I may not get to play MK8 today at all.

thefro

Seems like a lot of the apps all load somewhat faster.

In the eShop I could only play the slide puzzle once before the store loaded up.

plank

It took me 15 minutes to find our gamepad to update the thing, I don't think we've touched our Wii U for 8 months and the only game we have is Nintendoland.
wtzgU.gif

Guess I need to buy MarioKart, then.

MK and Nintendoland aren't the only games WiiU has.

Riki

So the Quick Start also has a section for special info right from Nintendo.
I wonder what that will be used for.

Also, it's insanely fast to use.

Penguin

Same. I just got mine and it looks like it's going to take forever. I wonder if it's going to do an initial update and then this one (or ones before this one) or will it do them all in one swoop or does it only need this one?

If it's the worst case scenario, it looks like I may not get to play MK8 today at all.

I always suggest before downloading any update

Try the most recent physical Wii U game you own as they tend to include major system updates with their games.

At least on the Wii, and Wii U launch titles

Dryk

All we need now is for the gamepad to act as a classic controller in wiimode
Nah, we still need folders. Being able to use the whole OS without the gamepad wouldn't go astray either. I also still have my doubts that they'll ever let Wii mode communicate too much with the outside systems because its a huge weak point in their security.

Banned
Ohhhh, this quick start menu is smooth, silky smooth. It's updates like this that make me believe more and more the Wii U was rushed. It should have launched in 2013 with OS 4.0 as 1.0 and a bit better specs with all the titles from Nov 2012-Aug 2013 as launch titles.

So the Quick Start also has a section for special info right from Nintendo.
I wonder what that will be used for.

Also, it's insanely fast to use.

The special info will likely be like the 3DS' spotpass feature. Letting you know about updates to games, new DLC info, upcoming patches, etc.

Automatic install is by far the biggest thing here for me, and something that I hope can be selected as an option in every system from here on out.

Answers my first question.

Second. If I'm a few updates behind, will I have to catch up or do the updates overwrite themselves.

It took me 15 minutes to find our gamepad to update the thing, I don't think we've touched our Wii U for 8 months and the only game we have is Nintendoland.
wtzgU.gif

Guess I need to buy MarioKart, then.
that's a shame. get on that MK8. and do yourself a favor and at least check out pikmin 3, wind waker HD, wonderful 101, DK tropical freeze and SM3DW.

Riki

The special info will likely be like the 3DS' spotpass feature. Letting you know about updates to games, new DLC info, upcoming patches, etc.

Well, they already had Notifications for that.
This seems to be something different.
As Wario64 posted above.

Well, they already had Notifications for that.
This seems to be something different.
As Wario64 posted above.

They did, but before you had to launch your system to know if you had anything. The image Wario posted doesn't show or imply anything beyond that.

NimbusD

I guess I'll find out soon enough... but to clarify... the notification stuff is just Nintendo notifactions right? They really need to improve their system for notifications between users. MK8 is impossible to play with friends without having to set up gameplay outside of the Wii U itself. I've already ran into multiple probs messaging a friend who I saw was playing MK8 but he didnt notice because you have to go to Miiverse to see those messages. It makes no sense.

bon

Just tried the quick start menu out. Went from hitting the power button to the MK8 title screen in like 30 seconds.

Ghazi

that's a shame. get on that MK8. and do yourself a favor and at least check out pikmin 3, wind waker HD, wonderful 101, DK tropical freeze and SM3DW.

Bayo 2 and X are things I'm looking forward to, as well as all those games. I just don't have the time or money to play everything.

just from the few minutes of testing, the home menu seems to boot up MUCH quicker now. then again i was testing it form the main wii u menu but still its pretty damn fast now to bring up that menu

Teknoman

Bayo 2 and X are things I'm looking forward to, as well as all those games. I just don't have the time or money to play everything.

Mario Kart 8 has INSANE production and replay value. You get one of those games listed for free when you register it, so no money involved. Aside from MK8.

I always suggest before downloading any update

Try the most recent physical Wii U game you own as they tend to include major system updates with their games.

At least on the Wii, and Wii U launch titles

Dammit I wish I knew this before I started the update. Thanks anyway.

phanphare

Banned
I like this update. I gave my Wii U the ol' press power > go straight to Mario Kart 8 test

25 seconds from double clicking the game icon to pressing "A" at the title screen

Going in and out of the settings is still bloody slow.

yeah this is still true. it's always the first test I do after updating haha

Riki

These firmware downloads always take ages for me. Does the system throttle them in some way?

No. It's random based on what server you get on.
I got it downloaded and installed in about 20 minutes.
But it can take longer if you get on a shit server.

Feels like I'm waiting longer for it to install than it took to download.

It's gonna be so convenient to use this for netflix and quick web browsing.

Was going to post a picture but abload.de is giving me some issues.

Triangle in the top left. First row has three: disc, wii mode, activity log (games). Second: Netflix and amazon prime (media). Third: AC Plaza.

Empty space and then a column down the far right. Wii U games on top. Most recently played visible. Rest of the Wii U games go down the top row through all screens. Second row has VC games. Third row is downloadable/indie games.

Settings at the end of the games and the rest of the crap on the last page. Keeps the first page clean and the whole thing moderately organized.

Folders would be better but it works.

Back on topic, the quick launch is awesome.

Top Bottom