• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS go for Sony's throat at E3 and undercut their PS4 MSRP ?

I believe it has been more or less established that xbone is still more expensive sans kinect. I don't see how they could undercut Sony long-term. Its just a pricing game they'd inevitably loose because of base costs. The money is better spent trying to secure exclusives with a hardware price equal or close to PS4

I don't see them undercutting Sony either. I can see them price matching with a Kincet-less SKU, but undercutting them? No, at least not right now.

How does one "go for the throat" if being beaten? Wouldn't the price drop just make the console more competitive and gain ground where ground was lost?

RdN

Only if they take Kinect out.. Which I hope they don't.

$399 at E3 is a must.. So, eat the losses and move on.

Hoo-doo

Banned
How will it be cheaper?

The PS4, as was said ever since the first reveal, is designed with quick pricedrops and cost reduction in mind.

They can effectively match and undercut Microsoft again with a slight cut, when Microsoft will be deep in the hole on every console sold.
Sure, Microsoft might have deep pockets, but a console that's losing them lots of money and that's still getting outsold every which way, that's not going to go over well. It's getting them nowhere.

xaosslug

umm... the gaming division has been rumored have investors wanting it SOLD OFF. They cannot afford to undercut anyone.

Mentok

Banned
I don't think there's any way they're removing Kinect in the immediate future without taking a BIG loss. We'll see more bundles (like when you could buy a 360 with 2 games for the price of a ps3 without any games) more than anything.

N.Domixis

Banned
Countries or Regions where it is is doing ok.
North America
UK
Canada
Brazil(not sure about this one lol)

Here are all the countries or regions where it is either dead or will be dead on arrival. IMHO, They should be focusing on these countries.

Austria
Spain
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Argentina
Belgium
Chile
Colombia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
Greece
Hungary
India
Israel
Japan
Korea
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
Slovakia
South Africa
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
UAE

Vinc

I don't think they can go back to a 499 without a game after all the bundles. The console spent longer discounted than full price since its arrival on the market.

Rolf NB

How will it be cheaper?
Microsoft designed themselves into a shithole with their ESRAM choice. Their SoC is bigger, despite performing worse. Plus, they are not intrinsically a hardware manufacturer, they lack the know-how and the actual production efficiencies (cf: hilariously huge box, PC-style disc drive and cooling setup, power brick). They will never be able to manufacture Xbones for less than what it costs Sony to make PS4s. Even without Kinect.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I give up trying to explain this to you.

This is you right now:

lala.gif

The rest of the thread is the guy in the middle of you two

Here in NZ PS4 is $650, Xbox One has an RRP of $750 but has been at $640 with three games(titanfall, Forza, Fighter Within) since Titanfall launched. Seems the worldwide price drop is all but official at this point.

N.Domixis

Banned
Exactly, and if MS undercuts Sony it's only obvious that Sony would react.

Or do you believe they'd just sit on their hands and do nothing?

^This, they know they have an opportunity of taking back the States, they will not let this chance go to waste. If they don't act now and let xbox regain market share, then next gen Microsoft will be ready and make sure they don't do what they did with xbox one and sony will be in trouble.

Lol when was the last time a console had an instant $150 price drop? That is absurd to me. I except a $50 price drop maybe if they're really aggressive they'll go down to $100. But seriously $150? If they did that Sony would just do their own $50 drop and keep pace.

Freeman

Banned
Exactly, and if MS undercuts Sony it's only obvious that Sony would react.

Or do you believe they'd just sit on their hands and do nothing?
Much easier for Sony to react if they need since NA doesn't represent as much of their sales as it does for MS. We don't even know if the PS4 is significantly more expensive to make than Xbox One without Kinetic.

Darksol

why does everyone chain of thinking regarding MS options is to possibly remove the kinect. Give it a rest, kinect will not get removed.

MS might go after sony at E3 but removing kinect to reduce the price will never be one.

Bookmarked for the future.

muddream

Banned
The Xbone isn't selling like the PS4 because people don't believe it offers $100 of additional value. All they need is price parity, but it needs to happen before the PS4 builds even more momentum and Xbox players become weird kids. Better 3rd party performance vs better exclusives; free rentals vs better multiplayer service...they're very evenly matched and Sony's lead isn't a big deal, yet.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't think they will.

However, I do foresee an official price drop to $450 (maybe still with a game) and a Kinect-less SKU at $350.

timlot

Banned
I had an XBox One, couldn't help looking at it and thinking I paid $500 for this...
xbox-one-teardown-578-80.jpg

So I ended up returning it for a PS4. Wouldn't pay more than $350 for one with kinect included $299 without.

Just look at the engineering and care Sony put into the PS4. I can see where my $400 went. Also with PS4 you get to feel that GDDR5.
sono2-1-2.jpg

Why making it cheaper now? That would be extremly customer unfriendly. All those people who bought it back in november will say "FUCK YOU MICROSOFT!". No that would be too much of a risk for Microsoft. Even removing Kinect and reduce the price by 100$ would be customer unfriendly.

I dont know about you but i would be pissed if they did it after i bought the console just because they want to have a "fight" with sony. Only games can win this fight and not the damn price.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'd imagine they'd have a lot of pissed off early adopters if they announced a $399 (or less) sku with no Kinect and free Titanfall.

They can only get so aggressive. I don't see them being able to do anything to turn the tide in their favor. The system is still less powerful and runs multi platform games worse.

I think they need to stop worrying about Sony and just focus on delivering a better product and value.

I don't agree, I think Sony went as low as they could.

Why? What makes you think that? Sony themselves have said they're profitable after 1 game. Prices for parts go down and by the end of this year, or early next it could be possible to lower the price without taking a big hit (if need be).

Sony is in a bad position financially but you're wrong if you think they won't do what they have to do to make sure PS succeeds. Unlike MS, PlayStation is an incredibly important part of Sony

So while MS may have a ton if cash, they may not be willing to suffer a loss for Xbox. Sony may not have as much but they'll do what it takes for PlayStation

harSon

Banned
Much easier for Sony to react if they need since NA doesn't represent as much of their sales as it does for MS. We don't even know if the PS4 is significantly more expensive to make than Xbox One without Kinetic.

I wouldn't say it's much easier for them to react considering the state of their company as a whole.

Macnair

Just thinking how Sony will price PS4 with Morpheus.

$450 with Morpheus, 1TB

$350 standard, 1TB

I wonder how MS will compete with that pricing.

muddream

Banned
I had an XBox One, couldn't help looking at it and thinking I paid $500 for this...
xbox-one-teardown-578-80.jpg

So I ended up returning it for a PS4. Wouldn't pay more than $350 for one with kinect included $299 without.

Just look at the engineering and care Sony put into the PS4. I can see where my $400 went. Also with PS4 you get to feel that GDDR5.
sono2-1-2.jpg

With PS4 you also get to feel that no games and 3rd party lagging behind affordable PC performance from Day One. Nice piece of hardware, tho...could see myself rubbing one out if I shared your fetish.

Top Bottom