• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS overtake Sony in North America now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdiel

PS4 doesn't really have it's Halo, if Microsoft release a Halo 1-4 collection as rumored you can bet your butt people will pick up the 399 xbox one just to play that. Sony doesn't really have anything that's remotely close to Halo right now. Even though I think a megaton game like The Last Guardian could swing it to Sony for the Holidays because people like me who already own an xbox one would pretty much buy a PS4 on principle I suspect it will have limited appeal outside those who visit sites like IGN. I could be entirely wrong though.

Halo doesn't have the same mindshare it used to. It sells, and sells well, but it's more an entrenched franchise that fans return to, than something to convert people on principle. The announcements of Halo 5 (formally, anyway) and rumors of the collection aren't making ripples anywhere but established fandoms, from what we are seeing at retail. Sony doesn't need a single title like Halo, they've always sold on a much larger range of titles, but this generation the big Multi-plats that the 360 was the primary on are shifted to PS4 in preference.

Halo doesn't have the same mindshare it used to. It sells, and sells well, but it's more an entrenched franchise that fans return to, than something to convert people on principle. The announcements of Halo 5 (formally, anyway) and rumors of the collection aren't making ripples anywhere but established fandoms, from what we are seeing at retail. Sony doesn't need a single title like Halo, they've always sold on a much larger range of titles, but this generation the big Multi-plats that the 360 was the primary on are shifted to PS4 in preference.

No, it was just Halo 4. People really didn't like Halo 4 and the Multiplayer didn't just have legs.

PS4 doesn't really have it's Halo

Subjective reasoning. Personally I'm glad they aren't so reliant on a FPS to be their biggest asset, but that's just me.

And if you mean in terms of sales, you've been wrong for a long time. Gran Turismo is probably Sony's biggest IP and pulls comparable #s to Halo, probably even more tbh. I don't have the #s, but I'm pretty confident in sticking by that.

Iorv3th

You underestimate gaming groups.

Personally I'm not ditching my 80K gamerscore for any pixel counting.

I ditched my over 80k gamerscore (didn't ditch because I still have 360). It matters to some people, to others it doesn't. So it probably weighs out in the end to not count for much of anything.

Abdiel

No, it was just Halo 4. People really didn't like Halo 4 and the Multiplayer didn't just have legs.

I'm not speculating on player base, I'm talking retail impressions. Our stores aren't seeing the same fervency that Halo once demanded, that's what I'm saying. Halo 5 is available for pre-order now... I believe the store in Salem, NH has 2 preorders for it. By contrast, TF had over 50 in the first week. People get excited and put their cash down, when the wide-scale impact is there.

It'll have impact, yes. Probably more than TF. But enough to overturn the tide that has already risen against them? We'll see, I guess, but it seems unlikely.

Jobbs

Banned
Do you guys think that price parity will help MS overtake Sony in NA in the months to come or is the PS4 value/momentum still strong enough to keep pulling ahead in sales?

I think that being the same price as the PS4 will give them a nice boost, but it will not be enough to surpass it. I only see the Xbox One pulling ahead in NA if it's sold cheaper than the PS4.

The answer is yes, it will, but it'll take a year or more. Xbox has strong brand recognition in NA, and MS is aggressive. Now that there's price parity I expect to see XB1 catch up and more.

I'm a PS4 main for this gen, without a doubt, but I believe that two successful consoles is good for all of us.

goldenpp72

I'm not speculating on player base, I'm talking retail impressions. Our stores aren't seeing the same fervency that Halo once demanded, that's what I'm saying. Halo 5 is available for pre-order now... I believe the store in Salem, NH has 2 preorders for it. By contrast, TF had over 50 in the first week. People get excited and put their cash down, when the wide-scale impact is there.

It'll have impact, yes. Probably more than TF. But enough to overturn the tide that has already risen against them? We'll see, I guess, but it seems unlikely.

Halo 5 will sell 8+ million copies I wager, very few people even know it's available to pre-order, I hope you were just joking around.

Halo 5 will sell 8+ million copies I wager, very few people even know it's available to pre-order, I hope you were just joking around.

I doubt it. Halo 4 didn't even sell that much. Halo is a franchise that hit its peak years ago. Like everyone else said, it's not as big as it used to be.

And he's not joking. He works for Best Buy.

Abdiel

I'm not sure if you're joking, or not. Fall 2015: Do you expect the XB1 to have Over 8 million sold in the US and UK, the only territories likely to give a damn about Halo 5? And are you anticipating a 100% attach rate?

Halo 4 is close to 10m, last I saw... on a much, much larger customer base. You must be joking if you think a new console is going to have that kind of sales on a single title, especially after how Halo 4 was abandoned so quickly by the fanbase. Bungie is making a new game, and it's much more likely that Destiny is going to be the go-to title for their fans.

tumblr_m5tppnGY7I1qlvwnco1_r1_400.gif

Pricing it $399 is also a bad move, because now it's weaker hardware for the same price.

XB360 sold 40 million plus in NA and Halo games sell around 10 million each .
Lets say with 7 million in NA that still 33 million plus people that do not care about Halo .
1 game will never turn the tide for a consoles , it takes more than one factor and right now MS is behind in a few .

Salex_

Subjective reasoning. Personally I'm glad they aren't so reliant on a FPS to be their biggest asset, but that's just me.

And if you mean in terms of sales, you've been wrong for a long time. Gran Turismo is probably Sony's biggest IP and pulls comparable #s to Halo, probably even more tbh. I don't have the #s, but I'm pretty confident in sticking by that.

"can't find a collection of halo numbers"

The last report from a few months ago said GT6 was at ~3 million.

thuway

please explain the strong lineup, objectively. Also, damaged brand and less studios?

I have PS3. I bought the Uncharted games, and I'll probably eventually get The Last of Us on PS4 someday. I got some of the HD remasters (God of War, Kingdom Hearts). But I didn't see any sort of lead in exclusives for Sony.

On 360 there's Alan Wake, the entire Gears series, Halo series, Crackdown, Dance Central games, Fable series, Forza series, Left 4 Dead series, Lost Odyssey, Minecraft (originally), PGR, Saints Row (1), Viva Pinata, Witcher 2 - and a ton of XBLA games.

PS3 = GT series, God of War series, Ratchet and Clank series, Beyond Two Souls, Demon's Souls, Dead Nation, Heavy Rain, Infamous, Killzone series, LittleBigPlanet series, Resistance series, The Last of Us, Uncharted series, and a ton of japanese games US players probably haven't heard of.

It's completely subjective. Both had good exclusives and were worth buying.

This is a really terrible way to play list wars. No matter how much lipstick you put on the 360, the PS3 decimated it in terms of exclusives the second half of the generation. Some of the exclusives you've also mentioned also were exclusive because the PS3 was an awful machine to code for.

The answer is yes, it will, but it'll take a year or more. Xbox has strong brand recognition in NA, and MS is aggressive. Now that there's price parity I expect to see XB1 catch up and more.

I'm a PS4 main for this gen, without a doubt, but I believe that two successful consoles is good for all of us.
Again, why do people keep saying this? THAT IS WII LEVEL OF SALES YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! Not happening. The only other option is SONY STOPS SELLING PS4S FOR A YEAR! Also not happening. So it will NEVER "do more" and it's going to be very hard before the XBO can even close the gap to effectively catch up...if that ever even happens.

Also, there's a very strong "we need competition and equal sales" vibe here, which is bologna.

TLOU sold 6 + million units to consumers worldwide
Most Sony I.Ps have passed the 1 million mark

Also Sony I.Ps usually have long legs

People who state that most Sony exclusives from last gen didn't reach the 1 million mark are far from accurate at all

Abdiel

This is a really terrible way to play list wars. No matter how much lipstick you put on the 360, the PS3 decimated it in terms of exclusives the second half of the generation. Some of the exclusives you've also mentioned also were exclusive because the PS3 was an awful machine to code for.

I'd love a Witcher 1-2 HD Remaster for PS4, since I'd rather play those games on my PS4 anyway. My PS3 saw plenty of gaming, and will see more (Drakengard 3 is on the way, Tales of Zesteria, and Xillia 2, among others)... But the PS3 is terrible to code/program on from what every dev has said. I've never read any interviews were a dev was like "I'm so glad this architecture is ass-backwards!" and yet the PS3 still had a far greater range of first and third party diversity in unique titles.

If you care that much about miniscule graphics difference, why not just PC game? It's way better than either console.

Gamerscore is a meta game. You've obviously never heard of trueachievements.com or truetrophies.com

It's not miniscule differences when the gap can be as wide as 720p vs 1080p. That's monumental. Also, I got plenty of gamerscore but I don't care I want the best experience possible.

Chitown B

It's not miniscule differences when the gap can be as wide as 720p vs 1080p. That's monumental. Also, I got plenty of gamerscore but I don't care I want the best experience possible.

the best experience possible for some people is gaming with people they know and like and using a system that has the experience they prefer. Not pixel differences you can't notice from 8 feet away. It's not as monumental as you are trying to make it. Many people bought 720p Kuros over 1080p Kuros because they looks almost as good. I'll bet most of those panels still best a lot of the 1080p panels with upscaling plus base PQ

Abdiel

If you care that much about miniscule graphics difference, why not just PC game? It's way better than either console.

Gamerscore is a meta game. You've obviously never heard of trueachievements.com or truetrophies.com

That's a terrible argument. You can care about graphics and performance (Because the performance is more than just graphic fidelity), and still not want to deal with the process that is PC gaming. I don't have the space to set up a PC in my room, and I don't want to deal with hooking a PC up to my living room TV, but I still want my games to look and perform the best I can, as long as the games I want to play are available.

Last generation, that wasn't much of a difference most of the time, for the games I actually wanted to play... Which was why I didn't mind so much that the PS3 got smashed in most 'face-offs'... I'm primarily an RPG player, but I enjoy other titles, like BF when I'm gaming with friends. And this gen, there's no argument about where the difference lies, so why even both making that? If you're happy with the network/gamerscore/whatever, then fine, but don't just act like it doesn't matter to some people, who don't game on PC.

Chitown B

PS4 can offer all those things and better graphics/performance.

the PS4 can't offer base things like your entire group of gamers buying a new ecosystem (which will never happen) nor carry over your gaming history. Things like that matter to some people, but obviously not you. Which is fine, but don't act like it doesn't matter to anyone.

Syrus

Banned
it may slow it down. Holidays could be a game changer. but MS needs like what.....500k to catch up?

I don't see it outselling it, wish it would but that's me

what MAY happen is maybe the price drop and no Kinect will make 360 owners switch and that could turn the tide in USA bigtime since theres a bit more USA 360 owners then PS3

the PS4 can't offer base things like your entire group of gamers buying a new ecosystem (which will never happen) nor carry over your gaming history. Things like that matter to some people, but obviously not you. Which is fine, but don't act like it doesn't matter to anyone.

I'm saying the amount of people that matters to is likely so small that it's almost not relevant. Plenty of people have already gone from 360 to PS4 and have had no issues. It will almost get to the point where so many more people have PS4s that the situation you're describing will happen with people opting to get a PS4 because others they know got one.

Abdiel

Er... There's plenty of ancedotal evidence just on GAF of who groups converting from 360 to PS4. All of my friends that per 360 only last gen have switched over to PS4, for any number of reasons, from price, to better value on PS+, better performance on the games, or any mix of other factors. So just because your group elected to not change for your reasons, doesn't mean many, many others haven't left Xbox.

Then don't act like it matter to the majority either , people right here right on gaf friends have already jump from XB ecosystem .

NOPE! Sony will continue to win this generation. Because the PS4 is more powerful, that's why most of us hardcore gamers bought a PS4. So the PS4 has a greater install base. Also us owners of a PS4 speak very highly of it, which in turn they tell their casual gamer buddies and then they buy one. Besides at the end of the day, even with all the media features that both systems have, everyone buys a console to play games, and Sony is simply giving us just that. Ill buy an XBone eventually, but it has to be $300 cause that's all it's worth to me and only if it has a handful of exclusives that I cannot get elsewhere. Same for me last gen. I bought a 360 at launch and a PS3 a couple years down the road after great titles landed on it and it was cheaper.

Jobbs

Banned
Also, there's a very strong "we need competition and equal sales" vibe here, which is bologna.

What are you talking about? Of course competition benefits consumers. XB1 is living proof of this. What it [XB1] would be if PS4 wasn't what it is or for some reason didn't exist at all -- Would not even remotely resemble the XB1 we have now. Another example is Xbox Live -- Which has added free games and removed paywalls for apps as a direct response to Sony offering a better service. This stuff is connected.

What are you talking about? Of course competition benefits consumers. XB1 is living proof of this. What it [XB1] would be if PS4 wasn't what it is or for some reason didn't exist at all -- Would not even remotely resemble the XB1 we have now. Another example is Xbox Live -- Which has added free games and removed paywalls for apps as a direct response to Sony offering a better service. This stuff is connected.
Yeah, competition is good, but a lot of people seem to be confused as to what competition actually is. A lot of people seem to think competition means that both have to sell equal amounts to be good for the industry, and that's what I think he's talking out against.

There has to be a loser in competition for it to work; the best product is rewarded with sales whereas the loser has to do better next time.

You're not really refuting his point. The hardcore are a minority in the gaming industry.

Chitown B

Yeah, competition is good, but a lot of people seem to be confused as to what competition actually is. A lot of people seem to think competition means that both have to sell equal amounts to be good for the industry, and that's what I think he's talking out against.

There has to be a loser in competition for it to work; the best product is rewarded with sales whereas the loser has to do better next time.

Agreed. Last gen both 360 and PS3 were losers, to the Wii. They still did just fine.

Jobbs

Banned

Okay, so the question is whether close competition benefits consumers -- Whether it's better for us as an owner of one system or the other if they are in close competition or if one is blowing the other out of the water. More specifically, is it better for PS4 owners if XB1 is doing well or tanking outright.

I still think yes, it benefits us all if both consoles are doing well. If someone is nipping at your heels it puts urgency into your decisions that wouldn't exist otherwise. But I'm open to being told why I'm wrong.

Okay, so the question is whether close competition benefits consumers -- Whether it's better for us as an owner of one system or the other if they are in close competition or if one is blowing the other out of the water. More specifically, is it better for PS4 owners if XB1 is doing well or tanking outright.

I still think yes, it benefits us all if both consoles are doing well. If someone is nipping at your heels it puts urgency into your decisions that wouldn't exist otherwise. But I'm open to being told why I'm wrong.

Huh...Competition is what generated the situation we are observing.

Thorgi

I think even amongst hardcore gamers, that people who care about ecosystem/gamerscore are in the minority.

This. We saw how fast people dropped Sony for Xbox after the disastrous launch of the PS3. Loyalty is played up by PR, but it's all too easy for the hottest thing on the block to become yesterday's news if they slip up. Microsoft slipped up bad, again and again, with the Xbox One. They're hardly doomed (and winning/losing isn't nearly as important as people make it out to be when sales are still decent), but it's very unlikely that a mere $100 price drop will be enough to cause a radical shift.

Chitown B

210,000 registered at true achievements is a majority?

I'm registered at that site, my 360 was last switched on in 2010.

on that site. That's only counting the people who know about that site, and want to use it to track. Many people go for gamerscore yet don't belong to a site about it.

I never said it was a majority, did I? I don't remember ever saying that.

Salex_

Consumers decides who has the best value proposal and who should be the market leader. It's not our job to make sure it's 50/50. We benefit the most if the losing companies wants to try to change their position. For example, look at how active Microsoft has been for the last year. They were forced to make these changes.

The PS1, PS2, 3DS, Steam, Amazon, etc are/were all market leaders. All of them delivered on games and services. Weak competition didn't stop them from making their audience happy. You have to remember that being on top isn't the only goal for a company. If you were in charge, wouldn't you want to sell as much consoles as you can?

More consoles = more subscriptions, more games in development, more games sold, etc. The company makes money from all of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom