• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS overtake Sony in North America now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
I honestly think the people who care about gamerscore and ecosystem are in the minority rather than the majority.

on that site. That's only counting the people who know about that site, and want to use it to track. Many people go for gamerscore yet don't belong to a site about it.

I never said it was a majority, did I? I don't remember ever saying that.

Your response to him does seem to claim that, in that the 'OK' seems sarcastic.

fedexpeon

Banned

I don't get your point.
Even a core gamer like me who buys 20+ games a year, I wouldn't even waste my time to register on any of those websites.
Sure, my score would be high due to inflation of useless points from games. But meh, who cares?
Probably less than .1% of the hardcore "brag/care" about their gamerscore.
But I guess seeing a random number on the internet>actual performance to some people.
And I highly doubt those people will make a different in any sales for MS.
They are probably the 1st adopter too since they love their gamerscore too much, so that group is out of question on how MS can beat Sony.

cakefoo

I don't get your point.
Even a core gamer like me who buys 20+ games a year, I wouldn't even waste my time to register on any of those websites.
Sure, my score would be high due to inflation of useless points from games. But meh, who cares?
Probably less than .1% of the hardcore "brag/care" about their gamerscore.
But I guess seeing a random number on the internet>actual performance to some people.
This "actual performance" is a number you pulled out your ass?

Chitown B

Your response to him does seem to claim that, in that the 'OK' seems sarcastic.

It was more showing that it shouldn't be as downplayed as it was being in that post. Obviously people care, there are many large sites for it. It's part of the meta game of gaming these days. If no one cared, Sony wouldn't have added trophies. There wouldn't be thousands of gamers playing hundreds of hours of Gears to get the Seriously achievements.

Jobbs

Banned
Consumers decides who has the best value proposal and who should be the market leader. It's not our job to make sure it's 50/50. We benefit the most if the losing companies wants to try to change their position. For example, look at how active Microsoft has been for the last year. They were forced to make these changes.

The PS1, PS2, 3DS, Steam, Amazon, etc are/were all market leaders. All of them delivered on games and services. Weak competition didn't stop them from making their audience happy. You have to remember that being on top isn't the only goal for a company. If you were in charge, wouldn't you want to sell as much consoles as you can?

More consoles = more subscriptions, more games in development, more games sold, etc. The company makes money from all of those.

So if PS4 was as bad as the original XB1, or if PS4 was tanking, XB1 would still have improved Xbox Live, given us back used games, and given us a kinectless sku, just to maximize its consumerbase even though it's already winning? I don't mean to go around in circles, but I think companies respond to eachother and don't maximize the value of their services "just because" if they're already winning.

I think Apple would be an example of this. In my opinion many aspects of its products and services are very anti-consumer. It's dominating, so it doesn't need to improve its product or practices. They're doing very well with "brand/trendiness" over substance so there's no reason to do things that benefit the consumer.

If someone was actually posing an existential threat to them, I think things could change, and in fact maybe they will sooner or later (if they aren't already, I'm not keeping close tabs).

N.Domixis

Banned
on that site. That's only counting the people who know about that site, and want to use it to track. Many people go for gamerscore yet don't belong to a site about it.

I never said it was a majority, did I? I don't remember ever saying that.

If you are a hard core trophy hunter, you will use guides that will then lead you to trophy sites and you will register.

You underestimate gaming groups.

Personally I'm not ditching my 80K gamerscore for any pixel counting.
This is exactly what I did. 77k, an achievement whore with an "achievement unlocked" bumper sticker lol. My 1080p TV deserved a PS4 even though I'd been all about Xbox for a decade +.

It was more showing that it shouldn't be as downplayed as it was being in that post. Obviously people care, there are many large sites for it. It's part of the meta game of gaming these days. If no one cared, Sony wouldn't have added trophies.

Never said no one cared.
I think even amongst the hardcore gamers. People who care about ecosystem, achievements/trophies are in the minority.

Chitown B

This is exactly what I did. 77k, an achievement whore with an "achievement unlocked" bumper sticker lol. My 1080p TV deserved a PS4 even though I'd been all about Xbox for a decade +.

I don't get this. Have you not seen Forza 5? 1080p 60fps. Games on X1 are and will also be 1080p. And all TVs upscale, so it's not like you're getting a noticably inferior experience.

cakefoo

I don't get this. Have you not seen Forza 5? 1080p 60fps. Games on X1 are and will also be 1080p. And all TVs upscale, so it's not like you're getting a noticably inferior experience.
Because upscaling is the same thing as native 1080p, right? About that...

N.Domixis

Banned

Ive seen forza and does not look good. They sacrficed things to get to 60 and 1080.

zhIbKmm.jpg

cakefoo

Yup, I guess my eyes were lying to me when I compared AC4 on PS4/X1 during launch time.
But yeah, I rather prefer to buy console on its performance over my gamerscore any day.
Ohh, technical hardware performance, gotcha. I thought you were referring to the "performance" of Achievements, in a popularity sense.

Still, that .1% number you pulled out your ass...

So if PS4 was as bad as the original XB1, or if PS4 was tanking, XB1 would still have improved Xbox Live, given us back used games, and given us a kinectless sku, just to maximize its consumerbase even though it's already winning? I don't mean to go around in circles, but I think companies respond to eachother and don't maximize the value of their services "just because" if they're already winning.

I think Apple would be an example of this. In my opinion many aspects of its products and services are very anti-consumer. It's dominating, so it doesn't need to improve its product or practices. They're doing very well with "brand/trendiness" over substance so there's no reason to do things that benefit the consumer.

If someone was actually posing an existential threat to them, I think things could change, and in fact maybe they will sooner or later (if they aren't already, I'm not keeping close tabs).

Actually Apple has made some changes as a result of Android growth.

What an awkward projection in this thread. I had over 50k gamerscore and a 100% on every game at that. I switched without any concern over switching ecosystems.

I chose the 360 in the first place because it had party chat and better multiplatform games. Without party chat, the PS4 would have been dead to me. Now that there is parity on that front, the two distinguishing features for me this gen were the value PS Plus and a system that doesn't rely on the Kinect to best utilize it.

I don't understand why it would be ok to go with the superior system last gen, which to me was the 360, but not this gen because of being 'locked in' to something like gamerscore. I want the best console for me and gamerscore doesn't have any bearing on that.

I can tell the difference. I don't know what to tell you. Trust me I'm still pissed at MS for going weak but I have settled into the Sony family and also picked up a Vita. =)

fedexpeon

Banned

This is a parody post right?

You are using:
Have you seen _____?
Everything outputs/upscales to 1080 on your TV.
1080 and 720, not a noticeable difference.

Chitown B

It'll definitely close at least a portion of that gap, but whether it will overtake it anytime soon is unlikely. Major dominance in the software department could definitely help, but we'll have to wait for E3 to see if that'll happen. PS4 is still the stronger system and has been able to consistently remain more pro-consumer since the announcement of the new consoles. They've also closed the massive gap in terms of online functionality. If they (particularly MS lately) keep up what they've been doing, we'll definitely have a good and even match-up between the two eventually.

^this

To me, there are very little graphical difference that I'd ever notice. What will make the difference to me will be ecosystem and exclusives. There's no game that looks $400 better than its counterpart on another system. I'd never buy a second system for multiplats. Let's see the exclusives. I think it's clear the X1 is leading at launch in that area, but I'm sure Sony will catch up soon. I hope they do, because right now I don't see an exclusive game on the PS4 that I need to play, at least for $400.

Chitown B

I can tell the difference. I don't know what to tell you. Trust me I'm still pissed at MS for going weak but I have settled into the Sony family and also picked up a Vita. =)

I also have a PS3. And a Vita. But good luck with the Vita. It's a trap. It's dying fast, even though it's an amazing machine.

You can tell the difference between what? Forza 5 on the X1 and Forza 5 on..... what?

I also have a PS3. And a Vita. But good luck with the Vita. It's a trap. It's dying fast, even though it's an amazing machine.

You can tell the difference between what? Forza 5 on the X1 and Forza 5 on..... what?
Come on now you know what I'm getting at. 1080p vs 900p, 900p vs 720p etc...

Abdiel

You are making arguments that hold no water, and it comes across as really forced. Yes, we know there are games that are 1080 on the XB1. But developers are on record, or their games stand as evidence, that it takes significant sacrifices to get it to that point. The PS4 has, and will continue to have, a definitive performance advantage over the XB1.

And please! Will you give up the upscaled/720 is as good stuff? Upscaling causes artefacts, jaggies, the like. It's not as good as native, done. You may be willing to accept and accommodate the lesser performance for your preferences, but stop talking out of your rear in this regard. It just makes you look like you are in denial or blindly defending your chosen system, regardless of facts. There's a visible difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom