• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Dual Shock 4 drivers.

Teppic

I'll give this a couple of weeks. If it doesn't work by then I'm switching back to 8.1 on my gaming computer. I'm currently using 8.1 with my laptop to game on, so I'm not immediately affected, but if it's not working when I get back to my gaming computer Win 10 gets the boot.

Tim, was right. Hurry, check if Chrome or any other app that is actually threatening MS, still works.

Btw, is up to MS or the developer fix that DS4 app?

gamz

We don't know that, do we? The last time it was out of the devs control. He couldn't fix it unless MS fixed something first.

Why would MS go out of their way to help the dev? If they helped every third party dev they'd never get their own stuff done. Why in the world does Sony not offer their own driver?

RexNovis

Banned
Right. So basically any update is going to be a "Sweeney was right!" Even though it's common on OS updates will break things. Agenda's and all of that...

Whether or not you think the criticism is valid removing features and third party HW support breaking doesn't exactly scream he was wrong either. A pattern is beggining to develop. The question should be whether or not it will continue not "lol theres nothing to worry abotu this is normal." The update did break DS4 compatibility. It also removed various features and user control options that were previously available. That's worth a raised eyebrow or two considering both the company's history and the comments from certain voices in the industry. If you think that its a fluke thats fine but acting as if there is nothing to be suspicious of at all with so many of these recent developments is either incredibly naive or willfully ignorant.

gamz

Whether or not you think the criticism is valid removing features and third party HW support breaking doesn't exactly scream he was wrong either. A pattern is beggining to develop. The question should be whether or not it will continue not "lol theres nothing to worry abotu this is normal." The update did break DS4 compatibility. It also removed various features and user control options that were previously available. That's worth a raised eyebrow or two considering both the company's history and the comments from certain voices in the industry. If you think that its a fluke thats fine but acting as if there is nothing to be suspicious of at all with so many of these recent developments is either incredibly naive or willfully ignorant.

Windows 10 anniversary has been in the making for at least 6-8 months. If they dev had a preview account they should have had months to figure it out. Whatever the case obviously Sony doesn't give a crap to offer their own drivers, so you have other dev's to come out and update the drivers. Seem's to me that Sony doesn't want their controllers on windows.

Head.spawn

Is this the first update to break a random driver and add questionable new features and take some out?

SOR5

Pattern:

1996: Microsoft adds ActiveX to Internet Explorer, harming Netscape compatibility

2001: Microsoft is accused of implementing a strategy that locks down Java to Windows

2016: Tim Sweeney holds Microsoft accountable for the anti-competitive destruction of Steam that hasn't happened yet, one week after somebody's DS4 stops working in an OS update

The darkest timeline truly

RedRum

Banned

Not that I'm saying that people shouldn't be frustrated, but you have been pointing your finger at MS the entire time in this thread and haven't made one comment to the fact that either Sony should come out with drivers of their own or the dev needs to catch up to the update.

To clarify for people, the PS4 controller always works as a DInput controller. There are programs that make it appear as a 360 controller (XInput). This still works. What broke is whatever trick is being used to hide the DInput controller (exclusive mode), so now both controllers are present and active at all times. This will break some games.

FoxSpirit

Aaaand... my gaming PC stayed at Windows 7 so I don't have to put up with that. My Laptop on the other hand... ah well, until I need that again this will hopefully have been fixed.

gamz

Not that I'm saying that people shouldn't be frustrated, but you have been pointing your finger at MS the entire time in this thread and haven't made one comment to the fact that either Sony should come out with drivers of their own or the dev needs to catch up to the update.

Right.

Can anyone answer why Sony doesn't come out with their own driver and support it?

gamz

I just wish that another OS exists so that us gamers don't have to deal with Microsoft & their BS.

You do. PS4

Google supports Chrome on Windows and Apple supports Itunes on windows. Sony doesn't support their drivers on windows. It's not MS fault or their responsibility.

SOR5

You do. PS4

Google supports Chrome on Windows and Apple supports Itunes on windows. Sony doesn't support their drivers on windows. It's not MS fault or their responsibility.

Yeah but us gamers against the evil system and remember what happened to Netscape

RedRum

Banned
Yeah but us gamers against the evil system and remember what happened to Netscape

Damn. Netscape. You took it back man. Way back.

communicatorthrobber.gif

statham

Why doesn't Microsoft make Sony drivers? I don't know whats going on, but something is up, I'm telling you something is up, you tell me. but I know something is up, you tell me.

RexNovis

Banned
Windows 10 anniversary has been in the making for at least 6-8 months. If they dev had a preview account they should have had months to figure it out. Whatever the case obviously Sony doesn't give a crap to offer their own drivers, so you have other dev's to come out and update the drivers. Seem's to me that Sony doesn't want their controllers on windows.

Well your entitled to your view of the situation but that doesnt exactly explain away the other issues with the update removing user control and making previously optional features mandatory without registry edits. You're looking at the broken compatibility in a vacuum. The point is that its part of a pattern that just so happens to align with statements made recently by a well known figure in the industry. So those dots will get connected whether you believe its a fluke or not. Again all I'm saying is that the question should be whether or not the pattern continues with future updates to the OS not whether it exists at all.

Is this the first update to break a random driver and add questionable new features and take some out?

The point is its not just the addition of features and the removal of features its the removal of user control of existing features and functions. Removing user control is not a "feature." I certainly can't recall many Windows updates that remove user control options or remove the ability to disable certain previously optional features outside of registry edits. I If you can show otherwise I will happily stand corrected.

FoxSpirit

Right.

Can anyone answer why Sony doesn't come out with their own driver and support it?
Because the DS4 is already supported on the PC, games just need to code in support for it. But since most games are only made with 360 pad in mind you need a DS4->360 emulation. It's ridiculous.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Why doesn't Microsoft make Sony drivers? I don't know whats going on, but something is up, I'm telling you something is up, you tell me. but I know something is up, you tell me.
They're too busy trying to sabotage Steam.

Bazookaxp

Because the DS4 is already supported on the PC, games just need to code in support for it. But since most games are only made with 360 pad in mind you need a DS4->360 emulation. It's ridiculous.
well the games are made for Xinput. Sony should release official drivers.

gamz

Well your entitled to your view of the situation but that doesnt exactly explain away the other issues with the update removing user control and making previously optional features mandatory without registry edits. You're looking at the broken compatibility in a vacuum. The point is that its part of a pattern that just so happens to align with statements made recently by a well known figure in the industry. So those dots will get connected whether you believe its a fluke or not. Again all I'm saying is that the question should be whether or not the pattern continues with future updates to the OS not whether it exists at all.

The point is its not just the addition of features and the removal of features its the removal of user control of existing features and functions. Removing user control is not a "feature." I certainly can't recall many Windows updates that remove user control options or remove the ability to disable certain previously optional features outside of registry edits. I If you can show otherwise I will happily stand corrected.

What does this have to do with the OP? As a dev you are in the know of what is happening and you test accordingly. Stop with the goal post or some vague crap that doesn't apply to this thread.

The real question is why doesn't Sony support drivers for their own product? Google, Apple, and MS all have apps on each others systems. They all support it their own apps. Period. There's no conspiracy here.

AwShucks

I tried for hours to get a Hori Mini 4 working this past weekend. No matter what I did KI would not detect it nor would InputMapper/DS4Windows. Despite Win10 recognizing it.

SOR5

They're too busy trying to sabotage Steam.

You might mock us gamers now, but wait till I post my wikipedia link to EEE

Then devs should make more for the DS4 in mind, or Sony should make their own drivers.
Actually this is more of a request from me because I would really like to use the nice DS4 d-pad without faffing around.

etrain911

Ugh, I was already having troubles getting Windows 10 to recognize my DS4. This just exacerbates things and makes me regret upgrading.

Sydle

Sony should release official drivers already. They'll probably do a better job of keeping them up to date.

The upgrade has been flawless for me so far. I was afraid something with Steam may be wrong reading some of the impressions, but everything is running perfectly.

As with any update, I'm sure some of the wrinkles will be ironed out soon.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
People blaming Microsoft for this? lol This is entirely Sony's fault.

Dsyndrome

Do any of you blaming Sony even use DS4 on Windows 10? Were you not around the last time an update broke shit and wasn't fixed for months last year?

The reality is that shit was fine with everyone until this update, now it's not. If you want to complain about Sony not making official drivers, do it in another thread, seriously.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Of course it did. This should surprise absolutely nobody. But hey its free guys!

They totally aren't interested in breaking competing options! Tim Sweeney can't be right!

Tim Sweeney was telling the truth! Apologise right now, GAF.

My god...Tim was right.

Remind me why Microsoft should care about a third party driver when applying an update to their OS? Isn't it generally up to the supplier of third party drivers to update their driver to be compliant with new OS versions?

I mean, why do you think apps get updated when new phone software comes out? It's not up to Apple to take the millions of apps into account when implementing a new version of iOS.

gamz

Remind me why Microsoft should care about a third party driver when applying an update to their OS? Isn't it generally up to the supplier of third party drivers to update their driver to be compliant with new OS versions?

I mean, why do you think apps get updated when new phone software comes out? It's not up to Apple to take the millions of apps into account when implementing a new version of iOS.

Yep.

That's why there's a dev preview program.

I miss the 90s when everyone hated MS, we had aki wrestling games, and World Trade Centers...it was a nicer time.

Eiffel 65 was a mistake tho.

I mean, it's possible MS were scum about it. However, it has been broken before in Windows 10 and an update fixed it. It's possible it's a regression... or, you know... they just might be asses.

I was planning on getting the new Xbox One controller with bluetooth in the near future, but I really rely on my dualshock 4 right now. Not gonna be too happy about this... just started updating.

Why not default to xinput as the default drivers if compatibility is such an issue with DInput? I'm assuming there's something I'm missing here. They could still support DInput as a legacy driver of some sort. You'd figure thered be some sort of integrated customization XInput mapping implemented by now. Or would that not alleviate controller compatibility concerns for third party controllers?

I mean the linux distro I use for my emulation box literally works by plugging the controller in and customizing the inputs. How is it that linux could implement such a thing but windows can't?

Well, this goes even further down the rabbit hole of what technical problem each individual framework was made for... and I'm probably going to brutalize the explanation by simplifing it... but here we go!

The reason Windows defaults to DInput is because DInput was developed to be as wide reaching as possible to allow a Hardware Developer to make a Racing Wheel with the same type of driver as a Joystick, with the same type of driver as a controller, with the same type of driver... ect, ect you get the point. Anyhow, to do this, the framework is made flexible, but not nessesarily easy to use. This also means that DInput has to support essentially unlimited numbers of buttons and triggers
actually, there is a limit but its insanely large
and deals with the raw input data (eg, Button 32 has a current value of 0.56... but what is Button 32? Where is it located on a controller?)

By comparison, XInput is a narrow set of specs that deals with a specific type of controller, the Xbox 360 controller and all of its joystick variations (Guitar, Wheel, Dance Pad, ect). Because of this, the framework is easy to use because it is narrow in focus, and because of the popularity of the Xbox 360 controller, it became the standard used by every single Controller Hardware Developer on Windows

And to answer your original question finally, the reason why Windows defaults it to a DInput driver is because it is the more vertisaile. You can guarentee that it will map to DInput in every case, whereas you can only map it to XInput if it fits a specific criteria. Hence why it defaults to DInput
Actually, it really defaults to what replaced DInput which is RawInput, which XInput is a subclassification of... but that just makes the explanation more complex

Now for your Linux question, DInput, XInput
and Raw Input
are all Microsoft APIs for how to handle controllers on Windows. Since Linux is a completely different operating system with a completely different set of APIs and complexities, it has its own standard for how a Controller works with Linux APIs

Who said anything about drivers? I was talking about plug and play universal compatibility. Granted its more involved and complicated than I realized but I figured things like this would have been sorted out by now. Worrying about the input method for a given controller and having to do workarounds in order to ensure compatibility just seems like something should be entirely unnecessary. But I'm probably missing some underlying complexity that explains why this can't happen.

Pretty much, the only way you are going to find a DInput device in 2016, is if you either specifically go out looking for one, or if you get an old controller, or if the Hardware Developer doesn't create a driver for their controllers.

It sounds more like the devs of the third-party DS4 drivers didn't update to accommodate changes made in xinput. I'm not sure why people are immediately hating on Windows here.
Exactly.

This happens in Android and IOS all the time with each OS update. Are people just joining the internet?

The DS4 driver devs needs to upgrade their software. They had months to get their drivers updates in the OS preview program but instead chose not to do anything.

Are people seriously blaming MS here?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yep.

That's why there's a dev preview program.

I mean Christ, Sony bricks their own console unintentionally when they do software uodates. But Microsoft should be expected to take a third party driver into account for a controller made by a direct competitor?

What kind of bizarro world do people live in when they have these expectations?

Top Bottom