• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Dual Shock 4 drivers.

gamz

I mean Christ, Sony bricks their own console unintentionally when they do software uodates. But Microsoft should be expected to take a third party driver into account for a controller made by a direct competitor?

What kind of bizarro world do people live in when they have these expectations?

Dude, I have no idea.

I have never seen so many people laying the blame on MS when Sony doesn't even support their own driver for their own product! This thread is laughable.

then we will have to wait for the developer to pronounce and see, if it is up to MS, how are they willing to cooperate.
Cooperate on what? The devs are lazy af and didn't update their drivers well knowing Windows 10 update was releasing.

Microsoft has nothing to do, it's the devs responsibility to fix their shit.

Thought the purpose of an update was to fix shit, not break shit...
APIs are updated, backend stuff is modified, etc. The devs need to be on their A-game and update their software accordingly.

For example, ANDROID N is about to be released soon, it's currently in beta, I as an app developer need to ensure my app is updated too so it's ready for ANDROID N and isn't broken on release date.

Makes sense?

etta

my hard graphic balls
APIs are updated, backend stuff is modified, etc. The devs need to be on their A-game and update their software accordingly.

For example, ANDROID N is about to be released soon, it's currently in beta, I as an app developer need to ensure my app is updated too so it's ready for ANDROID N and isn't broken on release date.

Makes sense?
No.
Microsoft should offer to update your app for you. :p

jediyoshi

If I use my DS4 wired on PC will I not have this problem? Apologies for my ignorance here.

The problems will occur with games that natively support the DS4 where you would rather use an xinput wrapper like the ones listed in OP.

- Games that support the DS4 will continue to work.
- Using an xinput wrapper for a game that doesn't natively support the DS4 will continue to work.
- Using Steam Big Picture Mode as an xinput wrapper will continue to work.

What is going on in here? Is this the first time you guys are experiencing an OS update causing some 3rd party application to break or not function properly?

Holy shit, I have to wonder if some of the posts here are legitimate. We use a mixture of Macs and windows at work and this is not rare thing. Developers for the most part are responsible for making sure their software works and play nice with OS updates as well.

Amazing.

Good lord.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Yeah, fix THEIR shit. Not avoid breakingother people's.

Developers have known about the Anniversary update for what 6 months? There's dev preview programs. They've had PLENTY of time to get their driver ready for this update.

gamz

Yeah, fix THEIR shit. Not avoid breakingother people's.

Developers have known about the Anniversary update for what 6 months? There's dev preview programs. They've had PLENTY of time to get their driver ready for this update.

And the Dev program is open to anyone.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm convinced there's a good level of trolling going on in the Microsoft threads, mods letting it slide like it's nobodies business.

Funny how those first few conspiracy theorists on the first page aren't posting much in the thread anymore. Probably realised the stupidity in their posts?

gamz

Funny how those first few conspiracy theorists on the first page aren't posting much in the thread anymore. Probably realised the stupidity in their posts?

Yep. Thread is dead.

I mean it all comes back to don't fault the little dev making a third party app for a product that their own company doesn't support.

I mean...

Purest 78

Maybe they were joking and some are overly sensitive about MS. The tone of those post didn't seem that Serious to me.

Havel

Wobbles (InputMapper dev) has looked into the issue and has just posted this:

Windows 10 Version 1607 is in fact NOT compatible with exclusive mode.

Microsoft Windows 10's recent update, version 1607 dubbed the Anniversary Update, will break InputMapper's ability to connect to the controller exclusively which is required by some games.

I have not found a workaround as of yet and it is doubtful that one exists. So until a solution is found, it is important that users needing exclusive mode disable Windows updates temporarily. You can see how to defer windows update by reading this link: www.thewindowsclub.com/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I have posted to Microsoft regarding the issue answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/foru...833?tm=1470187583342 . Please click "Me Too" link to help raise awareness.

As of update 1607, kernel32.dll CreateFile() using only the flags GENERIC_READ and GENERIC_WRITE and 0 for dwShareMode no longer allow exclusive (non shared) access to devices needed in some circumstances.
An example of a device that is not allowing exclusive access any more is the Sony Dualshock 4 Game controller.

TSM

The reason Sony controllers have so many problems is that they are using dinput which has been deprecated and thus unsupported by Windows for many years now. The only reason there is any support at all is for legacy purposes. What these third party programs try to do is cludge together support for dinput devices to appear to be xinput devices so that they actually function at all with the vast majority of software that has been released in the last 10 years.

What should happen is that Sony should release actual Windows drivers for their $60 controllers. Instead people are mad at Microsoft for making changes to their OS that adversely affect third party software that tries to paper over the gaping hole that is the support Sony should be providing.

tuna_love

Banned
The reason Sony controllers have so many problems is that they are using dinput which has been deprecated and thus unsupported by Windows for many years now. The only reason there is any support at all is for legacy purposes. What these third party programs try to do is cludge together support for dinput devices to appear to be xinput devices so that they actually function at all with the vast majority of software that has been released in the last 10 years.

What should happen is that Sony should release actual Windows drivers for their $60 controllers. Instead people are mad at Microsoft for making changes to their OS that adversely affect third party software that tries to paper over the gaping hole that is the support Sony should be providing.
make your own thread scum bag

TSM

Because that's not the point of the thread. Make your own damn thread if you want to complain about Sony.

make your own thread scum bag

This is a thread about how there is no official support from Sony for their own controllers on Windows, and how the third parties supporting these controllers in their stead failed to get their act together for a problem that was known for months ahead of time.

Everyone complaining about the problems with their Playstation brand controllers and Windows should be directing their complaints to Sony. If the manufacturer doesn't care about supporting their own controllers, why should Microsoft?

Zackat

oh my god my fightstick stopped working mid fight... I got the driver to work again, but if I can't fucking use my fightstick... will try here in a minute.

are arcade sticks fuckign working? or nothing still?

I am checking now. God damn I will be heated.

I have to restart my computer so it will take a few minutes.

Dsyndrome

This is a thread about how there is no official support from Sony for their own controllers on Windows, and how the third parties supporting these controllers in their stead failed to get their act together for a problem that was known for months ahead of time.

No, this is a thread about Inputmapper and DS4Windows not working with the Anniversary Update.

Do you use a DS4 on Windows? No? Then, why are you here?

TSM

No, this is a thread about Inputmapper and DS4Windows not working with the Anniversary Update.

This is a thread about how Sony provides no support for their own controllers on Windows and the band-aid making the controllers work fell off because Microsoft updated their own OS.

Yes I do actually since it has a decent d-pad. It's nice how you just assume people with valid complaints can't actually own the hardware.

I would be absolutely thrilled if Sony stepped up and provided an official driver. Having a real alternative to Microsoft controllers would be outstanding.

SOR5

An issue that could've been avoided by

1. Official driver support
2. Third party devs making the right adjustments during dev preview

It's not the duty of MS to support and tiptoe around the Dualshock 4, but they aren't stopping anyone supporting it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
My printer isn't supported, Adobe 5.5 not supported, Audio drivers not supported, Windows ID Hack windows 10 exclusive(lol) now my DS4 wont work...fuck this OS...worst shit ever I'm going back to 7 tomorrow morning.

Teletraan1

Banned
Why are people being condescending dickbags in here? MS made changes that did not allow exclusive mode when Win 10 first released when it was working in the pre RTM versions exactly like what is happening now. At the time the devs behind these API wrappers did nothing because they couldn't, it was a MS problem, there were janky workarounds that involved stopping network services etc, a MS update came out that fixed the exclusive mode, now this new update breaks it again most likely with no viable changes that these wrappers can make to their apps to get it working again so we are back to waiting on MS to fix whatever they broke. "Always the Dev" is bullshit in this case.

Dsyndrome

rex novis doesn't agree

I'm not Rex Novis, I don't speak for him.

Again I ask, if the problem doesn't affect you, why the fuck are you here? To get into flame wars on a topic that you have no beef in?

Seriously, why are you here?

People that are saying this thread is about Sony support for Windows DS4 Drivers decided that the thread should be about that. Read the fucking OP, nothing was said about Sony not providing drivers. We know Sony doesn't provide drivers, this is how we get past that.

Novocaine

The Windows truthers prophesied this all along!

It's like no one here has been through a Windows update before.

Does the DS4 still work when you use it with the remote play app?

The main problem here is that sony won't develop windows drivers for their device.

I really don't understand why they won't do it. They've made plenty of programs for Windows. Isn't this an incentive for more people to use their hardware? Just don't get it.

Blam

What no shit it'll break.

Everything breaks. Steam broke m8 this isn't a huge thing and there is already a workaround.

tjohn86

I am once again shocked by the lack of computer literacy on this forum.

Of course the update broke some drivers. No it wasn't malicious.

Sheesh.

TSM

Why are people being condescending dickbags in here? MS made changes that did not allow exclusive mode when Win 10 first released when it was working in the pre RTM versions exactly like what is happening now. At the time the devs behind these API wrappers did nothing because they couldn't, it was a MS problem, there were janky workarounds that involved stopping network services etc, a MS update came out that fixed the exclusive mode, now this new update breaks it again most likely with no viable changes that these wrappers can make to their apps to get it working again so we are back to waiting on MS to fix whatever they broke. "Always the Dev" is bullshit in this case.

Microsoft officially deprecated dinput 5 years ago. As in it is no longer officially supported. Dinput has for all intents and purposes been dead for 5 years now. The only reason the controllers work at all is that they sneak in through legacy code intended to maintain compatibility with legacy software. The fact that Playstation controllers work with modern Games at all is because third parties found workarounds to make them functional.

Also Microsoft didn't break compatibility, the controllers will work perfectly well with dinput applications. What they won't do is work correctly with some xinput applications right now, which the controllers do not support to start with.

Top Bottom