• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Is Now on Over 800 Million Devices, Says Microsoft (Includes Xbox, Halolens, etc.)

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-now-powers-800-million-devices-worldwide/
After its release in 2015, Microsoft once hoped Windows 10 would makes its way into a billion devices within three years. While it will be late to that goal, it is a bit closer. On Thursday, March 7, the company revealed that more than 800 million devices are now running Windows 10 worldwide.
The new milestone comes as an increase from the 700 million install base last reported in September of 2018, meaning that Windows 10 is likely again picking up momentum with consumers. The announcement was initially made by Microsoft executive Yusuf Mehdi on Twitter. “Thank you to all our customers and partners for helping us achieve 800 million Windows 10 devices and the highest customer satisfaction in the history of Windows.”

As pointed out by ZDNet, though 800 million might seem like a big number, Microsoft is accounting for various types of hardware — not just desktops or laptops. The figure includes other devices which have been considered active in 28 days, including Xbox game consoles, Hololens headsets, Surface Hub devices, and even Windows 10 Mobile phones.
Still, between the six months of September 2018 and March 2019, the 100 million increase would account for roughly 16 million new Windows 10 devices added per month. With Windows 7 reaching its end of life soon, many consumers are now likely transitioning to newer Windows 10 hardware and ditching previous versions of Windows. Microsoft previously enticed consumers to upgrade by offering Windows 10 for free, and the operating system is currently offered as a service so it receives major updates twice a year.

Recent rumors indicate Microsoft is planning to target ChromeOS with a lighter operating system dubbed as Windows Lite, which will likely come later this year. The company is even is working on Core OS, which is a more modular version of Windows

The fist few hundred million were people forced into it after they removed the "switch back" button for those trying windows 10 a few years back. The next few hundred million probably came from it being a forced update on your PC (and Xbox later) after you left for work or to grab some lunch, coming back to permanent windows 10 on your device, and the rest was forcing retailer OEMS to only carry Windows 10. Some of it is legit though. Congrats.

Not sure why they want to go after ChromeOS though, you already have a basic easy to use Windows internet device for $190 or so. and PC's are "gaining" share in the educational market so this is odd. Are they going to go the entry level route where if you want to add Paint or Notepad you have to add a extension pack for $30 a month?

I remember how Windows 10 was supposed to be that great system that will join phones, consoles and pcs into one UWP ecosystem.

Funny to see it now when Windows Phone is closing down, consoles are distant third in their own market and on pc they only got to that number because they literally stopped selling older versions to customers.

Official support for Win7 is going to end in a year, so you'll see a drastic rise in that number in the coming months.

Aren117

Congrats, great OS.

DX12 was a letdown (as a Nvidia user) but everything else is working good here.

Congrats, great OS.

DX12 was a letdown (as a Nvidia user) but everything else is working good here.

4SejFK7.gif

DanielsM

Banned
I remember how Windows 10 was supposed to be that great system that will join phones, consoles and pcs into one UWP ecosystem.

Funny to see it now when Windows Phone is closing down, consoles are distant third in their own market and on pc they only got to that number because they literally stopped selling older versions to customers.

I would expect to see Microsoft try one more run at the UWP / semi-close store route i.e. Windows S, Windows 10 S mode, Windows Rt, etc. route. (Technically you can side load UWP right now)

Basically CoreOS Lite.
Windows Lite will be a stripped down version just like Windows 10 S but will come with restrictions in place and can’t be upgraded to a full-fledged Windows 10 OS.
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-might-soon-launch-windows-lite-based-on-windows-coreos/

Support for legacy applications will likely come through some sort of emulation layer, similar to what Microsoft has done for upcoming Qualcomm Snapdragon-based Windows devices, but the final solution for handling Win32 support is still reportedly up in the air.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcoc...ws-10-with-core-os-based-revamp/#44d725fb463f

If people refuse to buy it or buy UWP from the Store, Microsoft will have the services to run win32 from the cloud for a subscription either via Virtual Desktop (already in preview) or possibly an application via Azure as noted belowl
According to the Italian blog, Microsoft could circumvent all massive performance penalties introduced by the virtualization of Win32 apps through two new services called RAIL and VAIL. RAIL is short for Remote Application Interface Layer and could provide access to Win32 compatibility through a remote Azure server that requires Internet connection. For situations that don’t allow Internet access, VAIL (Virtualized Application Interface Layer) could take over and run in a local container to offer legacy support.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windo...ps-through-remote-Azure-servers.281334.0.html

The future is not completely set.

Last edited:

The Snake

I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10. It's okay now, but I spent the entire first day just setting it up so it would actually let me freaking use it. It was literally not allowing me to copy a file I downloaded into a folder, and then it deleted the file without my consent. Insane.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'm still using my 640 :messenger_tears_of_joy:, probably switch over to iPhone in the next month. My 640 cost me $29.99, no kidding.
I've got a 930, bought it cheap 2nd hand as a temporary phone and I've not replaced it yet it's a great phone, probably the best phone i've ever had. Very good camera on it as well.

Most of their exclusives are i.e. SoT, Gears 4, Crackdown 3, Halo Wars 2, etc, although Halo 5 wasn't and a few others.

Yes but i was simply sarcastically pointing out why MS are pushing that idea more and more since some people seem really worried about their lack of "real xbox exclusives". This is potentially 800 million customers were talking about.

thelastword

Banned
Got mine for $100.

I don't have much of an issue with Windows 10. Why so much hate for it? Not you necessarily TLW...just in general.
Hey, I have no problem with windows 10, I had no issues with Vista when everybody dumped heavy wastelines on it, 7 was pretty stable and solid.....8 had some issues for sure, I guess that's why there was 8.1.......

10 however, has not affected me too much, but I guess it all depends on what features you use in your OS or how deep you go into it, so mileage may vary, experiences can. My only issue with Windows 10 so far was Edge, but I took care of that in the powershell some moons ago......Granted I don't use PC as deeply as I used to before, so persons who do more work with PC's, who game more on PC than I do.... may see things differently...

Caayn

I miss my Lumia. Windows Phone was awesome.
Same here. If the support from third party app developers hadn't dropped of a cliff I'd probably still use my Lumia 950. I wonder what the current state of Windows phones would be if MS hadn't pulled the plug from project Astoria.

My current Nokia 8, with Android 9, works fine but I'm scratching my head at times wondering what Google must've thought when designing the UI.

Orta

Banned
Apart from forced updates I've never really had a problem with Win10.

Saying that I have it drowning under Win7 style patches :D

Barakov

Yeah, Windows 10 is so great I installed classic shell and made it look and run like windows 7. So I guess windows 10 is great if you do that.

A.Romero

It has worked well for me. For gaming there is no better option. I can switch between my Theater set up and my monitor and sound configurations are changed automatically (it was a pain in the ass in previous versions). It's fast, at least on my devices and it looks pretty.

I rather work on Windows 10 than on Mac and for gaming there is simply no other option.

I highly doubt that they will stop supporting Win32 apps. It would cause chaos in the enterprise world.

Lort

Banned
Windows 10 = 800 million
Ps4 = 95 million
Xbox = 40 million

Microsoft market cap 847 billion
Sony 27 billion

Microsoft has 10 times the userbase and is 10 times bigger than sony... ... is anyone really suprised that they are joining xbox to windows and are happy that all the pc game stores are eating each others lunch?

DanielsM

Banned
They don't have a 10 times user base, people would have to login to the Microsoft Store to actually buy things like games. They are leveraging Xbox (as its in decline) as they have users there to try and push the Microsoft Store/UWP. First step is digital, step after that is cloud services. Many of the other stores have access to not only Win10 users but Win7,8, and technically XP and Linux. I'm not surprised by any of this, just surprised Nadella thru some money at it.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Windows 10 = 800 million
Ps4 = 95 million
Xbox = 40 million

Microsoft market cap 847 billion
Sony 27 billion

Microsoft has 10 times the userbase and is 10 times bigger than sony... ... is anyone really suprised that they are joining xbox to windows and are happy that all the pc game stores are eating each others lunch?

Lol. Sony’s market cap is comparatively small compared to MS but it’s not THAT small. Sony sits at 58 bil currently.

https://www.google.com/search?q=son...j1j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

MS’s figure is correct however.

Either way I would not go around posting MS & Sony’s market caps on GAF.

Breaks the immersion. 😎

Valonquar

It enters end of support in 2025, and they haven't announced a successor yet. Suspect it will basically be a subscription based OS.

I and all the people around me haven't had an issue with Windows 10. What's funny though is I remember all the naysayers trying to stay on XP and that Windows 7 sucked. In 10 years we will probably have people on Windows 10 saying Windows X sucks and history will repeat itself.

Fuz

Banned
I and all the people around me haven't had an issue with Windows 10. What's funny though is I remember all the naysayers trying to stay on XP and that Windows 7 sucked. In 10 years we will probably have people on Windows 10 saying Windows X sucks and history will repeat itself.
I would instantly go back to XP if it weren't for DX and security updates.

Same here. If the support from third party app developers hadn't dropped of a cliff I'd probably still use my Lumia 950. I wonder what the current state of Windows phones would be if MS hadn't pulled the plug from project Astoria.

My current Nokia 8, with Android 9, works fine but I'm scratching my head at times wondering what Google must've thought when designing the UI.

They should have used the BlackBerry strategy and partnered with Amazon to bring android apps to Windows phone which is what they were planning but dropped it. BB barely used it and didn't even work for more apps they just told amazon to plop a app in there.

I mean technically It's not too late but Amazon is crusing on MS industries now so a partnership is off the table.

Speaking of which I just reminded myself Amazon attempted a smartphone, wasn't very good, surprised they messed it up so bad.

ethomaz

Banned
I work with Win10 but I have a VM all the time opened with Windows XP because I need some legacy support... tried VM with Windows 7 but it even today is a mess compared with XP.

Said that as developer after XP the Windows 10 was the first OS from MS that worked well.

I have only good things to talk about 10... the extreme opposite to Vista, 7 and 8 (that one criminality killed start menu lol).

I don’t believe anybody will even remember Me, Vista and 8 like a good Windows.

Last edited:

Allandor

That would be a dumb bet seeing as how Linux has less than a 1% share.
Linux is on so many devices, i would not want to guess a number. E.g. Routers, servers, IoT, ...
but well not as a OS for consumer-ready interaction. Well we could count android to that, but that depends on the situation and who you ask. If it is about bugs or security issues, android is no linux. If it is about userbase, android is suddenly linux ...

btw, windows 10 is a good OS but MS should really make bigger, but less frequent releases with less obvious bugs. Agile development is not good for an OS, it just doesn't work, if the os and the hardware it runs on is so complicated to test (because of all the possible combinations).

crowbrow

Banned
That would be a dumb bet seeing as how Linux has less than a 1% share.

That's on regular PCs, Linux has 96% of the market share on servers, almost a monopoly also in clusters and supercomputers, has Android which is the most popular mobile OS, it works on many different devices, even the small screens on airplanes mostly run on Linux. Linux is everywhere.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol. Sony’s market cap is comparatively small compared to MS but it’s not THAT small. Sony sits at 58 bil currently.

https://www.google.com/search?q=son...j1j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

MS’s figure is correct however.

Either way I would not go around posting MS & Sony’s market caps on GAF.

Breaks the immersion. 😎

So in Laymen's terms, big dick market cap, little dick game output?

And Sony is a grower and a shower?

Trying to understand the measuring contest here. :pie_raybans:

Kazza

Neogaf is such a negative place lately SMH

While I wouldn't go so far as to call it "SonyGAF", there is undeniably a large amount of negativity in pretty much all Xbox-related threads. It'll be interesting to see if this changes after the reveal of the new MS consoles (assuming they don't mess up again this time, in which case they would deserve all the negativity they will get)

Last edited:
Top Bottom