• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Is Now on Over 800 Million Devices, Says Microsoft (Includes Xbox, Halolens, etc.)

Jagz

Well at least all the haters of Windows can be thankful for what Valve have achieved with Steam Play for Linux.

Last edited:

Aren117

4SejFK7.gif

Would be awesome if everyone that says the OS is not good would actually give enough reasons as why we should stay on Windows 7, go Linux, Mac or something.

Because for me, it's been a great OS, but I only use my PC for gaming anyway, so I may be missing out on problems other users have.

That's the worst kind of statistics, it put so many different devices together that there is no use for it.

It's like I told you I have 7 gaming devices in my home! this is so generic that you can't know if that is relevant or not... it really looks like a PR driven number, designed not to inform, but to look "good".

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Not good news.
They really went aggressive with their w10 spread.

https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html#Windows10

From the "article" Fuz posted

Wow, just wow: Microsoft now openly publishes its collected data in regard to Windows 10 users:
  • "Over 44.5 billion minutes spent in Microsoft Edge across Windows 10 devices in just the last month" - we spy on Edge users.
  • "Over 82 billion photos viewed within the Windows 10 Photo app" - you're using our Gallery app, right? Great!
  • "Gaming continues to grow on Windows 10 – in 2015, gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games on Windows 10" - we now know what apps you're running and for how long.
:messenger_neutral: So why when developers say, "Players have thrown 28 million grenades in the first week", people don't go ape shit over them spying?

Really Fuz?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol. As I said. Not on GAF. It upsets folks. See Exhibit A. ☝️🤗

You confuse sarcasm and wit for being upset. Sad reacts only. :(

Are you here to just troll like you are holier than thou to GAF, like a message board pariah, or...?

Last edited:
Would be awesome if everyone that says the OS is not good would actually give enough reasons as why we should stay on Windows 7, go Linux, Mac or something.

Because for me, it's been a great OS, but I only use my PC for gaming anyway, so I may be missing out on problems other users have.

I use Windows 10 everyday for probably at least 12 hours, and I'm not even gonna begin listing the countless little things that sometimes make it pain in the ass. I enjoy Windows and install it on every PC i build, but Microsoft is going backwards not forwards in terms of user experience.

The only reason I and many others have Windows 10 is because its a forced requirement for Xbox Play Anywhere titles and/or internet security. Hell, i'd still be using Windows XP if i could.

Elenchus

Banned
You confuse sarcasm and wit for being upset. Sad reacts only. :(

Are you here to just troll like you are holier than thou to GAF, like a message board pariah, or...?

Dude go turn on a console. You don’t actually have to play a game. You can just stare at the home screen if you’d like.

But for the love of God engage in this hobby on a level that gets you away from the keyboard and your Hundred Years’ War.

Today you gain the courage to press the power button. But tomorrow...tomorrow...you gain the courage to press the start button...

🙀

I remember how Windows 10 was supposed to be that great system that will join phones, consoles and pcs into one UWP ecosystem.

Funny to see it now when Windows Phone is closing down, consoles are distant third in their own market and on pc they only got to that number because they literally stopped selling older versions to customers.

Closing down? I haven’t seen a Windows Phone in years. Where can you even get one brand new besides eBay?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dude go turn on a console. You don’t actually have to play a game. You can just stare at the home screen if you’d like.

But for the love of God engage in this hobby on a level that gets you away from the keyboard and your Hundred Years’ War.

Today you gain the courage to press the power button. But tomorrow...tomorrow...you gain the courage to press the start button...

🙀

Say what?

Y'all were the ones having a market cap dick measuring contest and all I did was cut a joke about it.

It was never meant to be so serious. Do you playa! I dig the condescndting wit though!

Last edited:

Sparda

Banned
Yeah it's a good os but far from perfect. Many annoying things like forced updates, collecting data functions, two separate control panel, horrible store. Ms don't know what's a good experience.

DanielsM

Banned
The worst OS ever made. Using Windows since ver 95.

Its okay if you have the Long-term LTSB version and take all the MS Store and other worthless shit out.

On another note, looks like Microsoft might have abandoned Polaris and Andromeda. Another ones bite the dust.
https://mspoweruser.com/report-the-writing-is-on-the-wall-for-andromeda-and-polaris/

Expecting Nadella to just pull the plug on all this within about 4 years, just waiting on him to put the nail in the Core OS now.

Last edited:
Windows 10 = 800 million
Ps4 = 95 million
Xbox = 40 million

Microsoft market cap 847 billion
Sony 27 billion

Microsoft has 10 times the userbase and is 10 times bigger than sony... ... is anyone really suprised that they are joining xbox to windows and are happy that all the pc game stores are eating each others lunch?

But I thought that nobody had a gaming pc?
So which is it? are those 800mil capable of running xbox games or not? Because otherwise it is a pointless stat if seen from a gaming point of view.

Last edited:

Allandor

How about forced restarts, making it useless for a computer that needs to run 24/7?
24/7 computers are called servers, that also require restarts, but you can choose when. If you have a normal windows 10 on a 24/7 device, it is your own fault.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
But I thought that nobody had a gaming pc?
So which is it? are those 800mil capable of running xbox games or not? Because otherwise it is a pointless stat if seen from a gaming point of view.

Point of Xcloud is to reach beyond gaming PCs and consoles. Point is to reach all windows devices.

So the argument that there aren’t as many gaming PCs as some assume and that MS has an opportunity to reach 800 mil windows devices are not inherently in conflict.

Both can be true. MS just has to execute but no one is as well positioned as they are to do this. Not Amazon. Not Google. And certainly not Sony.

DanielsM

Banned
Point of Xcloud is to reach beyond gaming PCs and consoles. Point is to reach all windows devices.

So the argument that there aren’t as many gaming PCs as some assume and that MS has an opportunity to reach 800 mil windows devices are not inherently in conflict.

Both can be true. MS just has to execute but no one is as well positioned as they are to do this. Not Amazon. Not Google. And certainly not Sony.

The point of cloud streaming is to control the content i.e. subscription based services, the point of it is not to reach all windows devices. The point is to reach as many devices as possible, in theory, not just windows devices. Microsoft could have reach 800 million Windows 10 users as well as the other 800 million Windows XP, 7, 8, and Vista users as far as gaming, they fucking failed at every turn.

MS just has to execute but no one is as well positioned as they are to do this.

They were in excellent position to execute on their own platform but they didn't execute over and over, game streaming is pretty much dumb which is why there really isn't customers to speak of, but even if not they are decade behind, not that there is any rush to join the party nobody is attending. Its like them chasing the casual gamers and the motion control gamers all over again, except those actually made money for someone - cloud gaming not so much, for obvious reasons.

Again, I think game streaming is generally not going to work, but even if it did they are way behind, years if not closer to a decade.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
The point of cloud streaming is to control the content i.e. subscription based services, the point of it is not to reach all windows devices. The point is to reach as many devices as possible, in theory, not just windows devices. Microsoft could have reach 800 million Windows 10 users as well as the other 800 million Windows XP, 7, 8, and Vista users as far as gaming, they fucking failed at every turn.

They were in excellent position to execute on their own platform but they didn't execute over and over, game streaming is pretty much dumb which is why there really isn't customers to speak of, but even if not they are decade behind, not that there is any rush to join the party nobody is attending. Its like them chasing the casual gamers and the motion control gamers all over again, except those actually made money for someone - cloud gaming not so much, for obvious reasons.

Again, I think game streaming is generally not going to work, but even if it did they are way behind, years if not closer to a decade.

Not really clear on what your argument is here.

Game streaming is “dumb” so therefore there is not a business worth pursuing?

Without hearing more on the new tech both MS and a Google are using you’re ready to dismiss it out of hand?

That’s your analysis? Seems silly.

MS is “years” behind on game streaming? Years behind whom exactly?

There is no a Netflix for gaming streaming service available right now. Amazon, Google, and MS are building one. Sony bowed out of that race.

The race is wide open and MS has a recognized gaming brand, experience, established franchises, industry connections, etc and just as much financial strength as Amazon and Google who have none of that (see Google’s newest controller as Exhibit A on how their inexperience will impact this).

So yea I disagree. The opportunity for MS is huge. I can see why they are going all in with gaming. Makes perfect sense imo.

DanielsM

Banned
Not really clear on what your argument is here.

Game streaming is “dumb” so therefore there is not a business worth pursuing?

Without hearing more on the new tech both MS and a Google are using you’re ready to dismiss it out of hand?

That’s your analysis? Seems silly.

There is no a Netflix for gaming streaming service available right now. Amazon, Google, and MS are building one. Sony bowed out of that race.

The race is wide open and MS has a recognized gaming brand, experience, established franchises, industry connections, etc and just as much financial strength as Amazon and Google who have none of that (see Google’s newest controller as Exhibit A on how their inexperience will impact this).

So yea I disagree. The opportunity for MS is huge. I can see why they are going all in with gaming. Makes perfect sense imo.

Analysis, there's no freaking customers, there is no market, to have a market you have to have customers - the only analysis that can be done is there is no market, which is no money.

What the freak does that mean? There are all kinds of game streaming services, literally the whole group that started 10 years ago went belly up, were now about 3-5 years into group 2.

Sony actually started game streaming from PS3s (limited beta) in freaking 2006 with remote play, PS Now is freaking 5 years old, there was a whole group of companies that were either bought or went belly up that started 10 years ago OnLive, Gaikai, InstaAction, Playcast, LiquidSky, etc. literally there is probably dozen more former and dozen newer companies doing it... no real customers.

You can disagree all you want, there really isn't a market, maybe one day there will be but today - there isn't.

If people cared about a gaming brand Games for Windows Live and present Microsoft Store would be doing great and the Xbox One would have sold like hotcakes. My guess, you're saying how great it is and not only have not signed up for a service but you have no idea how many services actually exist.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Simple. They don't want to spend money and manpower on multiple platforms. It's why Apple does charge their users to upgrade their OS. If everyone was on only Win 10, all of Microsoft's resources would go to optimizing and making that OS as secure as possible.

Imagine spending money and resources on Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win 10? It's a huge money sink and far too spread out. I get people aren't happy with being forced to move, but this is THE RIGHT MOVE. Make everything one platform so you can pour resources into it to make it better.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
24/7 computers are called servers, that also require restarts, but you can choose when. If you have a normal windows 10 on a 24/7 device, it is your own fault.
I work in lab, I have lab computers in the lab and they're not servers. Also I don't use windows 10 on them, someone asked me what I don't like about it, and this is one reason.

Aren117

and I'm not even gonna begin listing the countless little things that sometimes make it pain in the ass

Please do, I'm genuinely interested in what should be better for the common user, because aside from gaming, I still do some eventual work on PS when I'm not on my Mac or file management for movies, series and roms, and I think the only thing that sometimes bothers me at all is the control panel being hidden in favor of the new Configurations menu, and that was solved with a right click on the taskbar to pin the shortcut.

Still not an excuse for forced restarts.

True, but you can mitigate it by delaying updates for a whole month at least. But for the more common user, it only restarts when you are not using it at all.

So, if I grab a Win10 tablet can I boot steam on it? If not, how is that win10.

You can.

It's why Apple does charge their users to upgrade their OS.

Actually, on MacOS, that is not a thing since OSX Mavericks in 2013. Every OS update is free since then. The iPhone also ditched this when iPhoneOS turned into iOS.

iHaunter

Please do, I'm genuinely interested in what should be better for the common user, because aside from gaming, I still do some eventual work on PS when I'm not on my Mac or file management for movies, series and roms, and I think the only thing that sometimes bothers me at all is the control panel being hidden in favor of the new Configurations menu, and that was solved with a right click on the taskbar to pin the shortcut.

True, but you can mitigate it by delaying updates for a whole month at least. But for the more common user, it only restarts when you are not using it at all.

You can.

Actually, on MacOS, that is not a thing since OSX Mavericks in 2013. Every OS update is free since then. The iPhone also ditched this when iPhoneOS turned into iOS.

Sorry meant doesn't. Auto-corrected on phone. Doesn't fits with my narrative.

Pimpbaa

Task manager on my computer says it's been up for 13 days. What forced restarts? Yeah it may have to restart occasionally when windows 10 starts any updates. But the only time that happens for me is when I first got this computer (lots of updates) and now only when it's idle. Updates requiring restarts was far more common on Window 7, and while you were using it.

ethomaz

Banned
Task manager on my computer says it's been up for 13 days. What forced restarts? Yeah it may have to restart occasionally when windows 10 starts any updates. But the only time that happens for me is when I first got this computer (lots of updates) and now only when it's idle. Updates requiring restarts was far more common on Window 7, and while you were using it.
Mine stay up all the time too and when some restart happens is while I’m sleeping so I wake up and it is already like I left the night before.

ethomaz

Banned
We have over 15 Windows servers between 2008 and 2012 and no one of them did ever that even in development... it indeed shows a popup everytime you login but you can postpone forever and it will never restart automatically.

The default installation of Windows Server is “Download Only” so unless you change to apply updates automatically it will never restart without you tell it to.

Last edited:

Allandor

Still not an excuse for forced restarts.

it is. Don't use a consumer OS for professional use. There is a Pro version for that (or a server-version).
If the systems don't get restarted, they still have open security issues. That's why the restart is needed, and on a consumer platform, this is needed because normal consumers don't care about that.
Go buy the pro or server version if you want to use it professional. There you can configure, when and where the restarts are happening. 24/7 365(6) days a year online is not something you should even to with Linux.

Fuz

Banned
it is. Don't use a consumer OS for professional use. There is a Pro version for that (or a server-version).
If the systems don't get restarted, they still have open security issues. That's why the restart is needed, and on a consumer platform, this is needed because normal consumers don't care about that.
Go buy the pro or server version if you want to use it professional. There you can configure, when and where the restarts are happening. 24/7 365(6) days a year online is not something you should even to with Linux.
Bullshit. You can't design OS' around stupid.

Keep it open and do not remove user control.

Top Bottom