• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 is using your own bandwidth to deliver updates to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now along with the 45 page terms of service no one reads, now people have to find all the easily buried options that can fuck up your experience at the benefit of Microsoft. Microsoft of course saying "well you can disable it! If you can find where to do that!"

Bullshit. Reminds me of software updates trying to sneak in auto checked additional "freeware" if you forget to uncheck the box. I was updating flash the other day and almost didn't notice when it tried to also install mcafee as I tried to quickly begin the download. Evil shit sneaking in default activated bullshit you know people would disable if they paid attention

Exactly, this kind of shit is designed to fool people with little knowledge of computers and by that I mean the vast majority of people in this planet. If I were to ask my mom to do a custom install of windows her head would explode because she simply wouldn't understand much of this stuff and windows supposedly is user friendly.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
its called P2PCDN btw, its nothing new. And Microsoft isn't the only one and not the first one using this.

They're not, and I'm not really against it as a thing, I'm just against them not even asking me if they can use my bandwidth to update other people's PCs.

I hate this P2P approach some games and software use. Why do these massive corporations with huge CDNs/data centres need to use P2P? Microsoft has data centres/CDNs in pretty much every region in the world, there's no need for this. I don't get it.

Windows updates download sloooooow. This is not to save costs, but to make it faster for users. When an update is simultaneously going out to all Windows users, it isn't difficult to imagine it will go slow.

It uses idle upload speed.

Aren't you people getting a free OS? And you are bitching about the use of your idle connection? Are you serious?

People love to hate on MS, if you don't like it go make your own os or move to some other shit

Turn it off before you reach your caps, good lord.

Unfortunately it will only know when your Win10 desktop's network connection is idle. So it would have been a nice feature years ago when users usually only had a single device on their network talking to the Internet, but that's not necessarily the case now.

This feature would drastically impact the quality/reliability of my cloud-saved security cam footage, for example.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
There's no defense against this.

yes there is. a lot of us live in the future and this is a great idea to speed up the computers all over the world. I'm in for this shit if it means I get my updates faster. If it rivals my torrent speeds on 120Mbps connection uncapped, I'm all in.

This is scary. I wonder how many security holes are in Windows 10 that are just waiting to be exploited/found.

the security model of MS has been getting better and better for a while now. you would have thought after inventing powershell, that it would have been a goldmine for people to hack, but it's extremely solid.

LAN only by default makes a ton of sense and makes this not a bad thing at all. So... is this LAN only though by default though?

Apparently not, but I've already done all of my upgrades to Win10 from two Win7 and one Win8.1 installations in the house on the same LAN and have no way to just check if it is indeed in the custom install options as I thought. Every other express setting people were freaking out about over the last few days was, AFAICR.

plainr_

One of the first things I disabled. Sharing within your own network is fine but I don't want anybody leeching off my limited bandwidth.

params7

Banned
At least they are telling you about it. That said, I don't plan to upgrade before the next 6 months. There's bound to be teething issues that MS will need to fix and seriously Win 7 is freaking perfect.

I know monocles are popping and the ladies are clutching their pearls at the news...

This really isn't that big of a deal especially since you can turn it off and they make no effort to hide it whatsoever. Being that the vast majority of Windows will be installed in office computers on LANs, this saves a shit ton of bandwidth. For home use, it's less useful but still not that big of a deal. If properly capped at a reasonable upload speed, most if not all people with this on won't even notice.

Granted, if MS left it uncapped, it could be an issue.

But yeah, not sure why the idea of crowd-sourced bandwidth sharing gets people so worked up. There's a lot of Linux distros that use this method to great effect. :/

Ashhong

Could this be why I have been having higher ping in my games the past few days? As well as other teammates? Lame if so

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I think the amount of drama people are trying to force here is unwarranted. If you don't want the feature then turn it off. If you don't like people making choices for you then make sure you make them yourself. All that said, I've never heard of an Upload bandwidth cap but if they exist then you should probably turn off this feature.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
That is completely unacceptable.

They are deferring their cost onto the consumer and/or their ISP. what if there are data caps with your internet plan? What if that function gets compromised?

All this fear mongering is ridiculous. If you have caps, enable metered connections. You're not becoming a datacenter. You're sending probably megabytes a month on idle. Heaven forbid should a feature that requires maximum participation to be useful be enabled by default. You can't complain about choice without making an effort to look at your choices.

Iolo

As with Windows 8.1, Windows 10 won't automatically download updates or apps if it detects that your PC is using a metered connection. Similarly, Delivery Optimization won’t automatically download or send parts of updates or apps to other PCs on the Internet if it detects that you're using a metered connection.

If you use a Wi‑Fi connection that is metered or capped, make sure you identify it as a metered connection. Here’s how:

Go to Start Start button icon, then Settings > Network & Internet > Wi‑Fi > Advanced options.

Use the toggle under Set as metered connection to set your Wi‑Fi connection as metered.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

Ah, so you can simply navigate through a 5-deep layer of menus to find the toggle button that identifies your connection as "metered", which will naturally (as a side-effect) opt you out of other PCs using your bandwidth, but also (as a side-effect) stop useful automatic update downloads. How could this be more obvious or intuitive?

hipbabboom

That is completely unacceptable.

They are deferring their cost onto the consumer and/or their ISP. what if there are data caps with your internet plan? What if that function gets compromised?

If your fear is that a faster way to deliver updates for which without may leave a computer in a compromising position would be compromised then methinks you've trapped yourself in circular logic. You should probably just turn off the feature and relieve yourself of the worry.

jesu

Very odd. I definitely wasn't asked about this. Which version did you upgrade from/to? Home, Pro, Enterprise?

Home to Home.

Don't take my word for it though, I'm doubting myself now.
Might have been the next day when I was in the Settings that I changed it.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I saw this pop up while installing Win10 - but used custom installation. Figure it is similar to WoW / etc type of updates.

It takes like 5 minutes to go through the privacy menu in the control panel and confirm everything there on what you do and don't want.

Considering how easy and quick the install was, that is like a walk in the park compared to time spent on previous OS upgrades and install configurations.

Ah, so you can simply navigate through a 5-deep layer of menus to find the toggle button that identifies your connection as "metered", which will naturally (as a side-effect) opt you out of other PCs using your bandwidth, but also (as a side-effect) stop useful automatic update downloads. How could this be more obvious or intuitive?

Keep pushing the hyperbole it's not going to change things apart from people adjust their settings. For most this is a nice feature as it does save bandwidth but for the few they can turn it off . You don't think delivering auto updates to your local lan and security updates to all users is useful ?

Xyber

I think the feature in itself is good, but it should not be on by default and it should clearly ask if you want it. Should also be able to disable the part where it sends to people outside your network.

Those default settings are pretty messed up, but sharing update data to LAN clients is sweet for people like me who have several PCs.

Looking through all the custom installation settings now, it indeed does not seem to be an option there so you'd need to find it after you installed it.

The "M$ sux!!" carnival of stupid continues.

I don't know why people think MS is using Netflix-streaming levels of data behind your back. The updates in question are very small in size, you're only "torrenting" small portions of the already small updates to other people (your PC isn't pushing entire instances of the update to other people like some distribution center), and this only happens when your PC is idle. Nobody's data caps are getting affected by this.

But I get it, most of these posts are just confirmation bias and manufactured rage.

hipbabboom

Are people really afraid of exceeding their upload bandwidth cap based on the OP's statement without even knowing if such a limit exists for their ISP?

Are people really that worried about being compromised on a peer to peer network where only the receiver knows what their getting and its virtually impossible for the sender to be able to alter the data?

Are people so incensed about a choice that wasn't presented to them when they opted to not make the choice in the first place?

Are people just looking for something to be angry about?

Honestly I wish most software worked like this. It's just a better allocation of resources. Stuff downloads faster, server errors aren't a big issue. I get that ISPs are dicks, so people need to have options but I also think you should be deprioritized for updates if you don't opt in.

I have to agree with this. Yes, the fact that Microsoft is doing this feels scummy, but I don't actually see anything wrong with it.

Blame the ISP's for stupid bandwidth caps. There's no technical reason for them to exist—for non-wireless providers, the cost of sending you additional GB's of data isn't substantially more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom