• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread of Roundcats Up in This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Yea that suit was pretty awesome
since its pilot was a true boss and wasn't some snot nosed brat who just read the instruction manual either).

One of the reasons i always found 08th MS team refreshing.

The rule in Gundam generally seemed to be that, as long as you're a kid whose read the manual then you're okay to manouevere this incredibly complicated piece of machinery. Of course, once you have 'Newtypes' that like your magic word for explaining away those kind of bizarre plot points.

I suppose the thinking was - kids are interested in seeing other kids do cool stuff, so the protagonists have to be kids therefore they wouldn't have any training and eventually that became the norm. Of course, that line of thinking is clearly flawed because kids have always been interested in adult characters, just look at Batman and Superman.

jman2050

So you agree with me that Soredemo is garbage? Finally I've found another SHAFT bro who accepts the fact that not all SHAFT shows are gold.

I haven't watched it yet. I'm still planning on going through their entire back catalog once and for all (except Vampire Bund, I had enough of that garbage in manga form) so we'll see what happens about that!

If you want me to point to a Shaft show I just plain didn't like, that would be Pani Poni Dash. I'll probably give that one another chance though just in case.

Jex

Thanks, AnimeGaf! I'm glad you guys enjoyed the CC/Conan series as much as I did!
[...]Holy shit, I bet you didn't want a WALL-O-TEXT reply like that, haha. Sorry! Hope you get an answer out of that incoherent rambling I just did.

No, thank you for providing a complete answer to my question. The reasons that you gave sound pretty understandable to me, I'm sure that's exactly how a lot of people 'grew out' of anime.

Anyway, if you ever want advice regarding anime titles that you'd like to see you can always ask in here.
I remember one Anime....damn you guys are going to want to kill me for this...it was something about this wandering red haird swordsman....he was like ridiculously good with a sword. (You all are screaming the name at the screen at this point.)
Rurouni Kenshin.

Jex

I've seen enough stuff to know I'm probably not going to like creepy fanservice shows. I could be wrong, but that's a chance I'm willing to take.

I've said much the same thing, but here I am still watching Nisemonogatari. I suppose I've been corrupted.

Jex

So you agree with me that Soredemo is garbage? Finally I've found another SHAFT bro who accepts the fact that not all SHAFT shows are gold.

Why would you say such hurtful things about Soredemo? Can you expand on why you believe it to be garbage?

Also, I imagine you'll find a lot of SHAFT devotees who dislike plenty of their works.

Go_Ly_Dow

Persona 4 18

nrTgP.gif

That whole episode was beautiful.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Gundam 00 Season 2, Movie

Season was good, not as fun to watch as gundam seed, but at least it wasn't a waste of time.

The movie on the other hand, I don't know how to judge it anymore, its not horrible, but it felt like a freaking fanfic.

-----

On the other hand, I been reading in this thread that Rinne no Lagrange might be a good watch?

Im honestly not seeing the Nadesico - Rinne comparisons at all myself.

Then again I love Nadesico to death (Nozomi where are my god damn BDs?!?) and I'm not really a fan of Rinne so maybe I'm intentionally disassociating the two.

I am still bitter that they continue the Nadesico story in a crappy dreamcast game that never got localize, but even that game ended in a huge cliffhanger.

Jex

You're tsundere for Nise, we've been over this already.

No no, it's actually much simpler than that.

I like the good episodes of Nisemonogatari - for me that's episodes 3 and 6.

I dislike the average to bad episodes (the rest) and find the pacing of the story to be too slow overall, which is quite possibly the fault of the source material.

Easy now. No need to shout. :p

Anyhoo, yeah, Rurouni Kenshin is all sorts of awesome (points to username) so long as you stop at the end of the Kyoto Arc (episode 65ish). After that it's all down hill.

Episode 62 is the end of the Kyoto Arc and start of the filler. I don't like it, but I'd prefer it (and the DVD special ending) to Seisouhen/Reflection.

Izick

Well thank you AnimeGaf, I appreciate the replies. You all are one of the nicest group of folk that I've talked to on here so far
3AQmK.gif

(Long, long time lurker, ((finally)) new user.)

Jex

On the other hand, I been reading in this thread that Rinne no Lagrange might be a good watch?

It depends what you're looking for. If you're interested in teenage girl antics (by which I mean 'anime' teenage girl antics, you know what I'm talking about here) linked to robots hitting each other all wrapped up in really nice presentation then maybe its a show for you.

Jex

Well thank you AnimeGaf, I appreciate the replies. You all are one of the nicest group of folk that I've talked to on here so far
3AQmK.gif

To think that some people claim that we aren't friendly to juniors and other people who happen to stop by the thread!

3AQmK.gif

If this is the impression you have of us then we aren't doing our job right. Get down and give me marathons of School Days, Yami, Arjuna, and Glass Fleet NOW!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why would you say such hurtful things about Soredemo? Can you expand on why you believe it to be garbage?

Didn't find anything in the series humorous at all and it's got Chiaki Omigawa as the lead so it was difficult to actually watch, which is par for the course.

Also we're nice? What...

Izick I recommend you trash older 80s "classics" like Macross or 90s "classics" like Utena and talk about how you don't mind CG.

Jex

Didn't find anything in the series humorous at all and it's got Chiaki Omigawa as the lead so it was difficult to actually watch, which is par for the course.

Also we're nice? What...

Okay, I can imagine that if you don't find a comedy funny then you'd have little reason to watch it, but 'garbage' seems a little harsh!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Also we're nice? What...

Izick I recommend you trash older 80s "classics" like Macross or 90s "classics" like Utena and talk about how you don't mind CG.

But Omigawa only adds to the excellence, and it's not soredemo's fault you lack a sense of humor. :(

Jex

We pride ourselves on being the second most snobbish group on GAF, we can't have new members thinking we're all nice and stuff!
Looks like we made a mistake with this one!
Folks, Dresden has already got this one covered:
We're nice. (Because he has yet to insult some of the sacred cows of animegaf, but whatever.)
We'll have to see what happens when someone comes in here to complain about Mushi-Shi being boring or Spirited Away being a metaphor for child prostitution.

Mature

It depends what you're looking for. If you're interested in teenage girl antics (by which I mean 'anime' teenage girl antics, you know what I'm talking about here) linked to robots hitting each other all wrapped up in really nice presentation then maybe its a show for you.
With a good OST!

The rule in Gundam generally seemed to be that, as long as you're a kid whose read the manual then you're okay to manouevere this incredibly complicated piece of machinery. Of course, once you have 'Newtypes' that like your magic word for explaining away those kind of bizarre plot points.

I suppose the thinking was - kids are interested in seeing other kids do cool stuff, so the protagonists have to be kids therefore they wouldn't have any training and eventually that became the norm. Of course, that line of thinking is clearly flawed because kids have always been interested in adult characters, just look at Batman and Superman.

Yea Gundam was alone in this since other mediums had (still do have) that "kid who don't know shit about this defeating the person who has trained for years" thing, but i got pretty jaded about it at that point.

So seeing that not actually happening in a series was pretty shocking initially and later refreshing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, we're certainly moving at a breakneck pace now. OT2 guaranteed in a couple of hours, I expect.

It seems I missed some prime SHAFT discussion, but I'll chime in and say that Soredemo one of their best.

Jex

If this is the impression you have of us then we aren't doing our job right. Get down and give me marathons of School Days, Yami, Arjuna, and Glass Fleet NOW!

They have to survive a couple more pages for you get to subject them to that.

Actually, what am I saying, one of those is not like the others because Glass Fleet is a lot of fun.

Dresden

Jexhius is just down by 45 posts now, victory can be his! Cajun getting knocked out by allegations of steroid abuse for fifty games helped.

Mature

I....I can't say I find the OST particularly memorable. I know it's considered sacrilegious to say so around here but I don't even pay attention to the music in the OP. Sorry.
I don't really mean the OP/ED specifically-- I enjoy the more subtle, recurring tracks a good deal. I think it's so often that it's just white noise for me in other anime that finding one with music I enjoy gets me giddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom