• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout 2048 DLC comes out today (Free if you own WipEout HD or Fury, crossplay)

mandiller

As someone who has never owned a PS3 and always wanted to play Wipeout HD, this DLC sounds awesome. I plan to pick it up as soon as it turns up on the store. When is it expected to appear on the Australian PSN Store? What time do they update?

I haven't booted this game since launch, but there no way this game running at a locked 30fps. It can get a bit choppy at time, unless it's only an issue with the DLC.

HD & Fury were not made to be played like this, if anything this has me wanting to boot the PS3 games more than continuing playing 2048.
Game looks and plays great for me on the Vita. Glad I have this on a portable.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm really confused at what I need to have to make use of this deal. Here's what I own:

Wipeout HD + Fury on PS3

What do I need to play this on my Vita? Do I need the retail Wipeout game, or can I just play wipeout hd on the vita? I'm confused at what I need/what I get.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Locked to 30 just means it can't go over 30. It can certainly go under.

Maybe it's just me, but some of the HD and Fury tracks seem to run particularly choppy. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome to have this much Wipeout crammed into my Vita, but it's pretty clear that the PS3 version is way superior when you're playing the same tracks.

I'm really confused at what I need to have to make use of this deal. Here's what I own:

Wipeout HD + Fury on PS3

What do I need to play this on my Vita? Do I need the retail Wipeout game, or can I just play wipeout hd on the vita? I'm confused at what I need/what I get.

This is DLC for Wipeout 2048. It can only be accessed on Vita with Wipeout 2048. If you own Wipeout HD and the Fury expansion, you can download the DLC for free. Otherwise, you gotta pay for it.

VanWinkle

Wipeout HD + Fury on PS3

All of you have to do is look at the title of this thread. "Wipeout 2048 DLC". It's downloadable content for the Wipeout 2048 game.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
No 2048 is locked at 30fps.
That's what I keep hearing but it's not the impression I'm getting when 3+ vehicles are in the vicinity. I keep noticing some stuttering.

Game looks and plays great for me on the Vita. Glad I have this on a portable.
It's not a bad game by any means, and I'm glad I bought it. However even after accepting the compromises the developer took, the performance of the keeps me from being completely satisfied.

I blame the PS3 games for being godly.

CLEEK

Wipeout HD + Fury on PS3

Wipeout HD and Fury are DLC packs for Wipeout 2048, so of course you need the full Vita game to play them.

As for frame rate, 2048 really struggles to maintain 30fps, dropping quite a bit when out of time trials and there are other ships on screen. If you go from playing 2048 to Pulse (something I did on my train commute today), you'll immediately see the difference. The PSP game seems silky smooth in comparison.

BHK3

Banned
So they ported all the HD and fury tracks to the vita version.

Give me the vita tracks on ps3, I don't have a vita.

ToD_

You did it, Sony - I just purchased WipeOut 2048. Sadly it's out of stock on Amazon but it's hard to pass up for $19.99. With $10 gift card balance I didn't know I had, it's only $9.99. Lovely!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
You did it, Sony - I just purchased WipeOut 2048. Sadly it's out of stock on Amazon but it's hard to pass up for $19.99. With $10 gift card balance I didn't know I had, it's only $9.99. Lovely!
Bummer, I was hoping it was still in stock. Though, the whole under 30fps throws me off of wanting Wipeout at all for Vita, but I think I'll grab it for $20 if I get the chance again.

This is pretty cool. I skipped Wipeout 2048 because of the lack of tracks. With HD and Fury as DLC with single player included, I think I want to pick this up now.

Same with Hot Shots Golf International. I still haven't got it because it only has 6 courses. Still waiting for more DLC courses or maybe even a sequel.

Agent X

This is insanely great DLC. Other than the lowered resolution and the Wipeout 2048 HUD still being used, it's essentially Wipeout HD/Fury that you can stick in your pocket. There's a lot of attention given to details, such as the sound effects and voice samples from the PS3 being brought over.

I noticed all of the vehicles and skins are available from the start. While selecting your vehicle, you can use the rear touch panel to manipulate the vehicle model and view it from other angles.

VanWinkle

Comparison video I did between a level from Wipeout HD on Vita and PS3. I filmed it in 60fps, but of course it's a Youtube video, so the PS3's biggest advantage won't be on display here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42G3W4pMdE

All things considered, the game still looks fantastic. PS3 version is superior, mostly due to framerate, but it's not remotely as if you're getting a poor experience on the Vita. Sorry about the horrible playing on the Vita. I couldn't find my tripod so I had to lay my camera on a flat service, thus also having to lay the Vita on it's base at an extremely awkward angle lol.

Sintoid

So they ported all the HD and fury tracks to the vita version.

Give me the vita tracks on ps3, I don't have a vita.

You know how exclusives works... they're made to make you wish the console, not the port of the game... ^_^'

question:

Everything in HD and Fury is unlocked in terms of stages as well as ships and skins... is it unlocked based on what I unlocked on PS3? I didn't sync or anything, but it has all my unlocks already....?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
question:

Everything in HD and Fury is unlocked in terms of stages as well as ships and skins... is it unlocked based on what I unlocked on PS3? I didn't sync or anything, but it has all my unlocks already....?

There is no sync, everything is unlocked by default

missile

Basing a fast pace racing game on 30fps is just plain ridiculous. If your
are really in the game, it hurts. Give me an option for flat-shading. . .

Thoraxes

I own Wipeout HD but not 2048.

This means I can't access this content, right? The cross-play statement confuses me is all.

Basing a fast pace racing game on 30fps is just plain ridiculous. If your
are really in the game, it hurts. Give me an option for flat-shading. . .

If you're a long time Wipeout fan, it's not a big issue. Most of the games in the series have been 30fps.

I've played those damn tracks to death already on the PS3 and before that on the PSP, so not that excited really, but will still be buying the content to support a good game and Sony Liverpool.

Just a heads up for anyone wondering the same thing I was earlier today. I own WipEout HD and Fury on the PS3 and, though I don't yet own a Vita, I was able to "purchase" the Vita HD/Fury DLC for free using my PS3. I do have a copy of WipEout 2048 from the Wal-Mart sale, but I have not yet opened it or redeemed the online pass. Glad to see they're not excluding WipEout faithfuls who may not yet have a Vita but plan to.

Now that I have downloaded and played it, I am a little disappointed. :(

The drop from 60fps down to <= 30 really makes a big difference! :(

Cannot use HD+Fury ships in the regular 2048 campaign maps :(

The poly counts of the HD tracks dropped significantly enough to be noticeable. I'm talking about the tracks themselves, not the background scenery. I'm seeing a lot of ugly angles now. Instead of sexy curves like the PS3 game. This is especially noticeable in Zone mode.

Also they did not port over the music from HD or Fury :'(

This is what I mean by very noticable poly reduction. It's more noticeable on some tracks than others.

gnX1V.jpg

Tizoc

I have Wipeout on EU PSN from last year's free game offer, can I still get the free DLC? If so how?

So happy about this. The HD tracks look and feel like I'm playing it on PS3. Looks like the left speed boost pickups in too, but I'm totally not noticing any of the mods they made to the track. (Ie: supposedly the tracks aren't as wide in the vita version)

I also noticed that trophies are separate from the PS3 counterparts. Whatever the case, it looks like wipeout is unfortunately going to take my vita away from gravity rush for a while.

Carl

I assume Australia being "Pal" is updated on the EU schedule? If so it won't be updated for another 3-5 hours minimum.

Possibly a tad earlier today due to PSN maintenance at usual update time.

E: Nevermind, apparently the maintenance was cancelle.d

Top Bottom