• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout Omega Collection for PS4

I'm glad people are happy for this but I'm not really impressed at Sony recycling these same Wipeout games yet again instead of making a new one.

This is a good leadup to a new one. Usually when a remaster/remake is done, it's to get a new crowd to try the game and test the waters.

JP

I wonder if there's any chance of them reintroducing the original Zone mode graphics? It'd be nice to have them as an option but due to the problems they caused, I really don't see it happening.

Shin-Ra

I only remember the giant graphic equaliser effect needing to be removed or flashiness toned down (before it released on PS3) to reduce the risk of seizures.

CLEEK

I'm glad people are happy for this but I'm not really impressed at Sony recycling these same Wipeout games yet again instead of making a new one.

The studio that made them is dead. The series never sold that well. Wipeout brand alone wasn't enough to keep Studio Liverpool alive as the cost to develop a new Wipeout game from the ground up was never cost effective. Liverpool were working on a Wipeout PS4 game when they got canned.

I honestly thought the series was dead. So this is about as best case as we'd ever get. I'd love older tracks to make an appearance, but they'd have to be build again from scratch, so as much effort as making entirely new tracks. The assets from Wipeout HD, Fury and 2048 are the only ones that can be easily ported to PS4.

You never know, this collection might expectantly sell bucket loads, and we'll get new DLC tracks and modes. It won't, so we won't, but it's good to dream.

Phreak47

This series will always be special because the original was arguably the most next-gen looking thing in late 1995, just a few weeks after the release of the PSX. It was definitely the one you wanted to show off to people.

BigDug13

Didn't they disband the studio? Maybe this is also to gauge interest in a new one.

Edit - beaten.

kyser73

I wish it was for PSVR as well :(

I thought one of the rumors was that it had VR mode.

So surprised it has no VR anything.

That might have been me assuming, but TBH given how much ch work they'd need to do to repurpose the tracks for VR (it would mean some substantial track redesign work, for example) while it's disappointing I get why it hasn't happened for a remaster collection.

So.....original music licensing is a pipe dream right?

Just use the custom soundtrack option.

spwolf

I think these remakes are by far the best solutions to old franchise revivals.

They are almost always done well and earn high marks and praise. Latest example was Rachet, it was just done perfectly.

So doing the same with Wipeout, and not trying to reinvent the wheel, seems like a great solution.

As to the VR version, man Wipeout might be too fast for VR. Looking to the sides at these speeds would likely make me feel not too well, from experience with Trackmania and DC VR.

DAT AMPHISEUM HNGNGNGNG

Day one

Day zero

technically, I've bought this exact game several times over, seeing as how Wipeout's been suffering from a bit of Ridge Racer-itis lately

and I'm fuckin ready to do it again

Shin-Ra

This seems a little too good to be true, but in both the screenshots and calmer parts of the Arekkz Gaming video where high contrast edges aren't destroyed by lossy compression, there appears to be greater than 4xMSAA or EQAA.

Novocaine

It will be nice to be able to play 2048 with a nice clean 60fps, it's definitely my favourite Wipeout. I wonder if they bother implementing 3D in like HD had.

gogojira

Why does it look slow? Am I crazy? I've never played much Wipeout so I'm speaking from ignorance on the series, but I was expecting F-Zero speeds for some reason. Maybe the Youtube videos are deceptive.

Novocaine

Why does it look slow? Am I crazy? I've never played much Wipeout so I'm speaking from ignorance on the series, but I was expecting F-Zero speeds for some reason. Maybe the Youtube videos are deceptive.

He's playing on the lowest speed class. It gets way more hectic than that.

Haha, good. I was wondering if he was in the 50cc equivalent mode or something.

That's exactly what it is lol. Wipeout is way faster but asks the player to ease into it between 3 speeds (4?)

Can't wait for this though. I bought HD and Fury when they dropped on PS3 and not only were those games gorgeous but they played so well. Ugh and the music! Not to mention custom soundtracks. Common sony bring custom music back.

Zone mode in 4k...
eyes.gif

missile

I hope they will spend some more work on the effects making them a bit more
smooth resp. use more samples (rocked trails) etc. and combine everything
together in such a way that there won't be any frame drops (online) due to
clustering of some effects happen at the same time.

Interesting the way they worded the game modes - 2048 career mode

I wonder if this means that 2048 will not have a multiplayer mode. The way 2048 handles multiplayer was pretty shitt and I don't want it to return in that fashion. I hope somehow they manage to include 2048mode in the hd/fury multiplayer modes

Dio

Banned
That's exactly what it is lol. Wipeout is way faster but asks the player to ease into it between 3 speeds (4?)

Can't wait for this though. I bought HD and Fury when they dropped on PS3 and not only were those games gorgeous but they played so well. Ugh and the music! Not to mention custom soundtracks. Common sony bring custom music back.

Zone mode in 4k...
eyes.gif

There are actually 14 speed classes if you include Zone Mode:

Sub Venom
Venom
Sub Flash
Flash
Sub Rapier
Rapier
Sub Phantom
Phantom
Super Phantom
Zen
Super Zen
Subsonic
Mach 1
Supersonic

When you do non-Zone Mode campaign races/non-Zone online, it divides them into four, Venom, Flash, Rapier and Phantom, yeah.

CS_Dan

There are actually 14 speed classes if you include Zone Mode:

Sub Venom
Venom
Sub Flash
Flash
Sub Rapier
Rapier
Sub Phantom
Phantom
Super Phantom
Zen
Super Zen
Subsonic
Mach 1
Supersonic

When you do non-Zone Mode campaign races/non-Zone online, it divides them into four, Venom, Flash, Rapier and Phantom, yeah.
Getting the Zone 80 (or whatever) Zone Zeus trophy is still my proudest gaming moment

I got this on PS3 as one of my free games after the PSN hack fiasco. Absolutely love this game, put many hours into it, and I felt bad when Liverpool closed knowing how much this game means to me yet putting no money into it (and never got a Vita, though videos of 2048 looked great!).

Glad I'll have an opportunity to buy this game. I don't have a Pro, but I do have a fancy new 60" since unplugging the PS3 for the last time. I'll do my part in triggering a new entry!

missile

Standard WipEout can be made much faster than Phantom. The zone mode shows
that the code (i.e. the intersection code of the game) holds up at pretty high
speeds. It's not that the developers didn't wanted to add higher speeds, yet
it's questionable whether it is worth the effort given that most will never
play the game beyond rapier/phantom, but the problem is/was that all the
crafts were tuned individually for each speed class. There is no formula in
the game scaling every effect based on the maximum speed. Each craft/item has
a set of coefficients specifically tune for each speed class. For example, if
you fire a rocket its speed is set in stone for the given speed class and
isn't coupled with the speed of the craft, i.e. doesn't inherit the craft's
speed, which would be cool tactical-wise. Further, you have to consider that
the crafts need to be tuned such that they behave in a good/fun way and won't
give any huge advantage or disadvantage. On the other hand, next to all the
tuning, one needs to check whether all speed classes are compatible with each
track. Now you can multiply it all out and see how many things you needs to
test given the amount of crafts, track, items etc. in the game. For zone mode
it is much easier, just one craft to test and adapt. So it seems that doing a
Zen speed class wasn't worth the effort.

Couple of years ago I was able to play WipEout HD/Fury at much greater than
Phantom speeds. But doing so without any retuning breaks the whole game
because nothing scales with the speed of the craft. Well, I was overtaking my
own rockets! xD But rest assured, some higher speed classed would be very
welcome, but won't likely to happen to due the amount of testing needed.

ffvorax

I already played all the wipeout in the collection, still I will buy it 'cause I want this series to go on... also I hope they will put a VR mode in there... would be gorgeus... :O

Dio

Banned
They also say it's a new soundtrack.

With graphics that have been enhanced to take advantage of 4K displays, WipEout has never looked so good — but we haven’t just focused on visuals. We’ll have an all-new, thumping soundtrack for you to race with, featuring a few classics as well as tracks from the hottest up-and-coming artists. WipEout Omega Collection is a feast for both your eyes and ears.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/03/wipeout-omega-collection-revealed-for-ps4/

When they say "all new" I'm curious what they mean. I know what it says in the article you linked, but does it mean "classic songs we recognize from the radio and new songs from recent years" or "classic songs that appeared in Wipeout alongside new songs they added in"

That makes me terribly sad.

Wipeout HD/Fury allowed you to use whatever soundtrack you want so it's not that big of a deal if none of the old songs come back IMO. If they just keep that function in this version there's no issue. You can just stick a USB thumbdrive in with the original soundtrack.

Top Bottom