• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout Omega Collection for PS4

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Same here. If there is a physical release I'll day one this game. The lack of single player is a little sad.
Almost frightened me a bit there, but
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/03/wipeout-omega-collection-revealed-for-ps4/ said:
There are nine modes available in total:

Zone, Tournament, Speed Lap, Time Trial, and Single Race from HD
Zone Battle, Eliminator, and Detonator from Fury
Career Mode from 2048

Almost frightened me a bit there, but

Also, has he never played WipEout? It's always been a single player game. You play the tracks by yourself, again and again, until you gold them all with every ship.

We all have the same spreadsheet on our computer to keep track, right?

RIGHT???

yurinka

Although it hasn't been mentioned anywhere I'd like them to introduce some new content and/or modes to this collection too. It seems incredibly unlikely but the top of my wish list would be a creation mode where you could build and share your own tracks.
PS Blog mentions "more than 26 unique tracks". HD, Fury and 2048 have 18 tracks combined, so there are at least 9 tracks not included in these games. I assume they are some of the PSP ones not included in HD or Fury.

I didn't compare the amount of ships, but for the music they mentioned that there are new track combined with classic ones because they had licencing issues with some of the old ones.

There is also a local multiplayer split screen mode, something new (like HD and 60fps) for 2048.

PS Blog mentions "more than 26 unique tracks". HD, Fury and 2048 have 18 tracks combined, so there are at least 9 tracks not included in these games. I assume they are some of the PSP ones not included in HD or Fury.

I didn't compare the amount of ships, but for the music they mentioned that there are new track combined with classic ones because they had licencing issues with some of the old ones.

There is also a local multiplayer split screen mode, something new (like HD and 60fps) for 2048.

Not sure on your track count; off the top of my head, I think there are 12 in HD and Fury, and 10 in 2048. I think the other four are the Zone tracks that were originally in Pure and were in Zone mode for Fury (Pro Tozo, Mallavol, Syncopia, and Corridon 12). Don't mean to be a downer but I don't think we're getting any new tracks this go-round :(

jett

D-Member
Also, has he never played WipEout? It's always been a single player game. You play the tracks by yourself, again and again, until you gold them all with every ship.

We all have the same spreadsheet on our computer to keep track, right?

RIGHT???

I liked the simplicity of the OG Wipeout HD. Just bronze, silver and gold. Then they added difficulties and different medals per difficulty or something with Fury.

Elandyll

Banned
6 Minutes of Wipeout Omega Collection Gameplay in 4K 60fps - PSX 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmOD9ia2n24

vgahky.jpg

edit:

Please please please...

My fav track of all time, put it in Sony!

Messij

It's a shame that we're getting the same game again. Though either way, this looks like a phenomenal package.

In my opinion the tracks and gameplay of the wipeout games are great but the structure of the campaign and whatnot is really boring. They should have taken the time to restructure that side of things. Imagine if you signed for a particular team and they reacted depending on your performance, Ridge Racer Type 4 style? Wipeout could use more character.

Im excited that WipEout lives, but this is the umpteenth revival of the same content. Hoping it sells well so Sony gives WipEout another shot but I need a real new entry to the series.

It's a shame that we're getting the same game again. Though either way, this looks like a phenomenal package.

In my opinion the tracks and gameplay of the wipeout games are great but the structure of the campaign and whatnot is really boring. They should have taken the time to restructure that side of things. Imagine if you signed for a particular team and they reacted depending on your performance, Ridge Racer Type 4 style? Wipeout could use more character.

Yeah, it has a little bit of Killzone syndrome where there's a ton of super interesting lore and writing about the world, but it's all hidden in instruction manuals and dead websites. I'd love to see that stuff fleshed out in-game

One thing I think the series is could use a better tutorial system that teaches tactics and movement controls. This game has a pretty steep learning curve and I'd imagine people get put off by that, or reach a plateau and give up.

I'm not really expecting them to add anything new like that to Omega, but they really need it down the road if they want to expand the audience.

p.s. in that new 4k video, was the UI shown in there from Wipeout HD, or new? It looks at least in the HD style, which is fine by me.

One thing I think the series is could use a better tutorial system that teaches tactics and movement controls. This game has a pretty steep learning curve and I'd imagine people get put off by that, or reach a plateau and give up.

I'm not really expecting them to add anything new like that to Omega, but they really need it down the road if they want to expand the audience.

p.s. in that new 4k video, was the UI shown in there from Wipeout HD, or new? It looks at least in the HD style, which is fine by me.

Pretty sure it's the same as HD

I've been a fan of this series since the original WipEout on PS One. I've often thought about how I'd make changes to the way the game plays in an effort to add more strategy while staying true to what the game is.

I'd make the following change

Projectile Deflectors. I feel this is what every ship needs. This is different than the shield power-up you pick up from weapon pads. Perhaps it zaps some of your energy to implement, but this would be a one second 'insta-shield' that can potentially dramatically reduce the impact a projectile has on you. So, when a racer behind you fires a projectile, you get an audio cue that something is closing in on you. This is your indicator to enact the PD Shield, a one second bubble that encases your ship and disrupts the impact of the projectile. This brings in a new level of strategy; you can dramatically lessen the speed & damage effects of opponents' weapons fired at you, but only if you use it wisely and time it right.

Projectile Deflectors. I feel this is what every ship needs. This is different than the shield power-up you pick up from weapon pads. Perhaps it zaps some of your energy to implement, but this would be a one second 'insta-shield' that can potentially dramatically reduce the impact a projectile has on you. So, when a racer behind you fires a projectile, you get an audio cue that something is closing in on you. This is your indicator to enact the PD Shield, a one second bubble that encases your ship and disrupts the impact of the projectile. This brings in a new level of strategy; you can dramatically lessen the speed & damage effects of opponents' weapons fired at you, but only if you use it wisely and time it right.

So basically like a counter in Tekken? Could be cool, especially if you can redirect the weapon back to them. Would need careful balancing though.

Curufinwe

I am playing some 2048 right now because the power is out and I forgot it didn't let you map thrust to anything but X or R. Not having customizable controls was an unforgivable omission and I can't wait to play the game properly.

So basically like a counter in fighting games? Could be cool, especially if you can redirect the weapon back to them. Would need careful balancing though.

Yeah basically that's the idea. I mean, weapons are and always will be at the heart of the WipEout experience. Yeah, it's a futuristic racer, but from the series beginning you've always had weapons, and using them strategically is absolutely a huge part and differentiating factor between winning a race and coming up short. So why haven't they introduced a more strategic, in-depth system to counter attacks from others? Basically at this point if someone fires a lock-in missle at you, you're fucked. If someone fires a quake behind you, you're fucked. That shouldn't necessarily be the case. Imagine if everyone had a short, one second shield they could employ (maybe one per race / lap/ Maybe you have to charge it based on your racing line?) that could at least add some more strategy in there without breaking the weapon system altogether. It also would reinforce the other major aspect of the WipEout series - speed. Being able to perfectly time a projectile deflection near the end of a race and hold on to your top spot would give you such a satisfying rush. My two cents.

jett

D-Member
I doubt that it's possible, but i'd love it if the original version of the Zone Mode made it in this game. For those that aren't aware, it had to be removed because it failed an epilepsy test. But it looks so damn cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G-SNDHzrFo

It's a Gamersyde video uploaded by someone else, but the original Gamersyde link seems to be dead, so this is the only way to watch it now.

Some of those color schemes are definitely pretty cool.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I doubt that it's possible, but i'd love it if the original version of the Zone Mode made it in this game. For those that aren't aware, it had to be removed because it failed an epilepsy test. But it looks so damn cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G-SNDHzrFo

It's a Gamersyde video uploaded by someone else, but the original Gamersyde link seems to be dead, so this is the only way to watch it now.

Whats different about the new Zone?

missile

Yeah basically that's the idea. I mean, weapons are and always will be at the heart of the WipEout experience. Yeah, it's a futuristic racer, but from the series beginning you've always had weapons, and using them strategically is absolutely a huge part and differentiating factor between winning a race and coming up short. So why haven't they introduced a more strategic, in-depth system to counter attacks from others? Basically at this point if someone fires a lock-in missle at you, you're fucked. If someone fires a quake behind you, you're fucked. That shouldn't necessarily be the case. Imagine if everyone had a short, one second shield they could employ (maybe one per race / lap/ Maybe you have to charge it based on your racing line?) that could at least add some more strategy in there without breaking the weapon system altogether. It also would reinforce the other major aspect of the WipEout series - speed. Being able to perfectly time a projectile deflection near the end of a race and hold on to your top spot would give you such a satisfying rush. My two cents.
Seems you never played the game to the heart. ;) Sorry, but this sort of
deflecting shield is pretty useless and I tell you why.

... So why haven't they introduced a more strategic, in-depth system to counter attacks from others? ...
The game is full of counter attacks! How? Read the sentence you wrote before
that one, i.e. "... weapons, ... using them strategically is absolutely a
huge part and differentiating factor between winning a race and coming up
short. ...". You use all the weapons to do counter attacks.

... Basically at this point if someone fires a lock-in missle at you, you're fucked. If someone fires a quake behind you, you're fucked. ..."
Absolutely not! It's about 50:50, I guess. For example, you can counter
a missile with a bomb, with mines, with a shield, with a boost, and by
side-shifting/dodging away. It's a common tactics in WipEout pro racing to
cover your ass and this depends on the track as well as on which part you
are actually on. For example, if you can dodge around a corner you won't
hold the mines through that corner. You're possibly going to use them to
lock the corner. The one running behind now has to use his/her rockets,
whatever, to get rid of a few mines to pass through them free of any damage.
Firing a lock-on missile through a tight left-right corner, for example, is
useless (no pro does it) unless it's your only option. The missile will
ricochet around losing all of its energy. That's also a way to counter it,
knowing that they won't make it though some tight sections.

How to counter a quake?
You wouldn't believe it, but if a quake is coming around then the next item
pad will most likely be a shield, not always, but, well, 50:50, I guess. But
you can also counter a quake with a boost, partially. Once the quake caught
up on you, you ignite the boost with you now riding the wave of the quake
without losing your main speed like all the others do.

The exiting weapon system is pretty powerful and it is a wonder that it
could be balanced in such a way that you can pretty much counter any other
weapon, about 50:50 on average.

The point is, you can't simply fire your weapon just to fuck off somebody
before or behind of you. Many beginners are afraid if they get "only" mines
or bombs and simply pick them up whereas these weapons are so powerful
(next to counter other weapons) when places at the right position on the
track. You can gain a seconds in a pro race using them rightfully.

For example, while racing into a tight section of a track, and having seen
that the other one in front of you has picked up an item before, which (s)he
doesn't convert into energy right away, you can most likely assume that
(s)he tries to get you in that tight section with a bomb or mines. So you
better are equip with either a missile, rockets, machine gun, quake, or a
boost to counter it.

... Being able to perfectly time a projectile deflection near the end of a race and hold on to your top spot would give you such a satisfying rush. My two cents. ...
That's what every pro does. Trying to use the best weapon to counter the
final attack. In a pro race, being in second close behind, isn't that much
of a disadvantage. There will be usually one final attack from both. The
weapon you keep depends on how close the one behind is and how the last
corner is shaped. A bomb or mines are your best shield. Running in first
towards the last corner you wait a little for the attack (perhaps a missile
or something) in which case you use the bomb/mines right away. If there
wasn't any attack you will place the bomb/mines at the most effective
position in that corner, because your opponent may have a boost to use on
the finish line.

Just holding a shield through last corner is bad tactics, because you can't
act any longer, only react. It is much better to hold a shield until the
last item pad and use it before hitting it. So you will be covered for about
2 seconds and use your last item to the best of you knowledge.

The cool thing about WipEout is that the end of a race isn't predictable
(given racers of the same kind (online)), yet it's not random. It's just the
cleverness that makes the difference, because everyone races a good line
already. With weapons off in a pro race, everyone is so close together
already.

What makes WipEout so special for me are these final moments when nearing
the finish line with your competitor right in front of you both knowing
there will be one last attack which will decides about the race. And all
this happens in fractions of second and at high speeds.

Having played WipEout for hundreds of hours, most of it online, there is
absolutely no need to change the weapon system. I haven't met a pro racer
saying the weapon system is unfair. If anything, it seems there are a bit
too many boosts at times (in a row) for someone.

What's unfair in the game is the bad collision detection. The collision with
the track is ok, but the routine for collision of the crafts against each
other must have been written by an amateur, no doubt about. Sorry! But it's
bad, always was! And this issue seem not to be address for the Omega
collection looking at the videos. In pro racing we always wanted to be able
to turn collision off. Please! Or implement a better one. It's frustrating.

missile

An optimization (I'm thinking about for years now) for WipEout to be
implemented is pad-swichting, i.e. instead of turning off an item pad for a
second or two, it will be turned into a speed pad during that time. For,
racing up-close to someone going for the same item pad, the one behind is
basically at a disadvantage for a couple of seconds since the one in front
knows that the one behind has possibly no weapon at the moment. I think that
this disadvantage can be countered by given the one behind a speed boost
(turning the item pad into a speed pad for a brief moment) to offset that
disadvantage. For, in online race you see that all the weapon pads will
usually be taken by the one in front of you. Being close behind ensures that
you won't get any weapons at all while the first one just waits until the right
one appears. A clear disadvantage. At times there is an alternate speed
pad right next to an item pad, but not always, and the line is also a bit
different from idle at times. Hence, using pad-swichting, despite getting no
weapons you will at least come closer with the possibly to overtake changing
the situation.

Edit:
It would also better the following situation. Imagine being sandwiched while
being behind about a second yet leading the other for about one second. All
three running over the same item pad. What happens? The first and the third
one get an item with you in the middle getting nothing at all (item pad not
active for about 1.4 second or so), and with you now being attacked from the
one in front as well as from the one behind of you. A sitting duck! With
pad-switching that duck would go a little bit faster though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
implemented is pad-swichting, i.e. instead of turning off an item pad of a
the situation.

Best haiku. Ever.

bennibop

Already got my classic Wipeout tracks sorted on Spotify, so cant wait to use the playlists when I am playing Omega!!

PantsuJo

implemented is pad-swichting, i.e. instead of turning off an item pad for a
the situation.
Dude

What this game needs to make it perfect to go back to my 90s teen hood...

o-PRODIGY-FIRESTARTER-WITHOUT-MUSIC-facebook.jpg

While I agree that I would like WipEout to be filled with grimy cyberpunk and 90's electronic music, you're not going to get it from the Omega Collection. It's much more sleek and clean than that.

Top Bottom