• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout Omega Collection for PS4

RAWRferal

Agreed. Not to mention, worry about it being removed at some point because reasons.

Flaky bullshit reasons lol.

A quick Google search mentions nothing about downsampling, although information seems fairly thin on the ground at the moment, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Is there any remastered game where they offered a discount? I bet they won't do it.

The most similar thing I remember was to offer Wipeout HD DLC content for Wipeout 2048 if you had the PS3 game.

Well it happens from time to time on pc.

And wipeout DLC for Vita was free if you owned it on PS3 already.

Melchiah

Flaky bullshit reasons lol.

A quick Google search mentions nothing about downsampling, although information seems fairly thin on the ground at the moment, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well, they didn't give any reason for the removal of supersampling from TLOU, and whether it'll be brought back or not. As a result, there's needless uncertainty about it with all (1st party) games, even those that have it initially.

Shit music but looking really good apart from that

Yeah, the new music isn't as much to my liking as the original. It's unfortunate, that they didn't stick with the music HD/Fury had.

Unless something has changed then VR isn't going to be supported at all, which is bad news.

They'll say it's not practical, that it causes nausea and dizzyness and can't be done, but I bet it's more like the game can't run as smooth through VR, or the developers handling it can't crack it. I know dick about the technical/development side of it, but that's what the aged cynic in me believes.

They'll say it's not practical, that it causes nausea and dizzyness and can't be done, but I bet it's more like the game can't run as smooth through VR, or the developers handling it can't crack it. I know dick about the technical/development side of it, but that's what the aged cynic in me believes.

I wonder if they would need to bring back a cockpit view (yeah, not the cheap one added to wipEout 3). But it seems strange looking around you in bumber cam with nothing of your ship visible. Making a cockpit view would be kind of cool though in general!

Planet

It is more likely a business decision, as in almost every case. They probably calculated the target audience as niche, and of that niche the number of PS VR owners is already too small to justify the additional development costs, let alone limiting these to the ones that could stomach wipEout VR.

It can always be done, you just have to tone down the graphics until you can guarantee hitting the frame rate target. And the fans really wanting this (all five of them, me included) would have been happy with what's on display. ;)

Watched the footage but still not interested even though I really want to be.

There is something about the track design and the way the ship handles that just doesn't compare to Wipeout 2097. The feel it had as you 'just' scraped the sides of the track, how it felt you had to 'push' and grind into corners, it was amazing.

Nowadays everything seems to floaty and clunky (I know its 60fps so what the hell am I talking about lol).

I also think the effects could be much better.

Anyone else feel the same?

I'll probably buy when cheaper and never really every play it, such is my love for Wipeout 2097.

I might add the Vita version seemed to look more like the older ones but still not there. Maybe its just me and my rose tinted glasses?

I'm apt to agree. VR is the future of this series, but it's not going to happen on 1st gen. I'm sure they could create something that would work, but it would go above and beyond the intent of this collection, which I'm sure has a minimal budget.

There is something about the track design and the way the ship handles that just doesn't compare to Wipeout 2097. The feel it had as you 'just' scraped the sides of the track, how it felt you had to 'push' and grind into corners, it was amazing.

Nowadays everything seems to floaty and clunky (I know its 60fps so what the hell am I talking about lol).

I'll probably buy when cheaper and never really every play it, such is my love for Wipeout 2097.

I might add the Vita version seemed to look more like the older ones but still not there. Maybe its just me and my rose tinted glasses?

Not at all. Totally agree. The handling in 2097/3 perfected the wipEout formula imo. There was something unique about the handling thath felt like you had total control and it was really responsive. The way the ships would slide into sharp corners with your airbrakes and make that subtle scraping noise as you just manged to avoid crashing. Something about how the camera moved to, felt perfectly.

The track design in the newer games are way too futuristic for my liking, I liked the more down to earth tarmac covered and dark 90's designed tracks of the first trilogy. I still play those games and I think they are unrivalled in the series.

It's almost certainly not a performance issue. This is a last-gen game after all, and one that already ran at 60fps on a PS3. The problem is much more likely to do with Wipeout movement, both in terms of the physics of the ships and the motion of the chase cameras, not being designed with VR in mind. Just playing it in VR with no adjustments to movement would likely be barf-tastic. The best way to avoid nausea in a racing game is to use a cockpit view, and no such thing is available to them, and it would be hard to justify creating brand new cockpits just for VR (plus the ship designs themselves were likely never designed with cockpit views in mind). They would also need to implement VR menus too (and a VR-optimised HUD), which is an additional expense. On top of that, an additional layer of QA testing would then need to be completed.

dose

I don't think Sony are developing it inhouse, and I've heard that the devs aren't allowed to add features to the game(s).

yurinka

Gameplay in Pure, Pulse (so HD+Fury) and 2048 -games covered by this compilation- feels way better than 2097/3. 2048 had some issues but related to framerate, something will be fixed in Omega.

They didn't aged as well as you may think. Mind often tricks you regarding memories, making you think things from the past are better than they really were.

Gameplay in Pure, Pulse (so HD+Fury) and 2048 -games covered by this compilation- feels way better than 2097/3. 2048 had some issues but related to framerate, something will be fixed in Omega.

They didn't aged as well as you may think. Mind often tricks you regarding memories, making you think things from the past are better than they really were.

This.

The modern games play much better. Whether it's the floatiness of Pure, the comparative stickiness of Pulse/HD or the bulky feel of 2048, they all feel really satisfying. The older titles I'm afraid are a bit harder to get back to.

Also, the dream is dead :(

c1m

Neo Member
Screen_Shot_2017-02-28_at_18.01.15.png
Damn, that intro and music was so cool.
But what does he mean by separate game? I still don't understand if the Omega Collection includes all 3 games as standalone or mixed with separate campaigns.

Neptune

I'm honestly gonna be kind of annoyed if HD Fury and 2048 are kept as two separate games instead of being integrated into one big gorgeous campaign.
I agree. I'm not keeping my hopes up for anything more than a basic remaster, but I'd love to be proven wrong. It would be really great to integrate the tracks from both games in one to add even more variety to tournaments and online play.

Gitaroo

Damn, that intro and music was so cool.
But what does he mean by separate game? I still don't understand if the Omega Collection includes all 3 games as standalone or mixed with separate campaigns.

Is that one of the dev? Should tweet him about VR and HDR support.

I really don't agree and I replay most of them often. Taking a really sharp corner in the 2097/3 games mafe the craft really slide in and, I feel the newer games turn more on a pivot. There's also the more bouncy feeling of the anti-gravity hovering that felt more springy in the old games. The way the bumper cam tilts as your race corners just gives a better impression of how you would think the craft manoeuvred.

The track design of the HD games have way to spaced out neon lit designs and stupid glass surfaces are overused. I feel the games should look more dark and with gritty futuristic cities like the old games. Hell, W3 was quite colourful, bit the trackdesign didn't go overboard.

lawnchair

Banned
In the ps3 version of wipeout hd you could use custom soundtrack. Whatever music tracks you like.

it was the TRON Legacy soundtrack for me .. pure ecstasy i tell you.

i hope the option is here to at least turn the music off so i can listen to something else on my stereo while i'm playing.

Cartho

I wanna hear the soundtrack. They always had outstanding dance music. Hearing Knife Party Bonfire in the announcement trailer was hype as fuck, took me back to a wild night in Sheffield.

Yeah biggest two asks for me are the soundtrack and what they did to 2048. Would love love love to see how that looks in full HD with 60 fps

ty_hot

I play Assault Android Cactus with the Wipeout Playlist from Spotify. Makes it even better but not as good as Wipeout, ofc.

Is Wipeout 2048 any good? I slept on it when it came out and forgot about it when I finally got a Vita. I'm sure I have it on PS+ too.

I tried emulating Pure and Pulse on my laptop and they ran ok but with some pretty bad framerate drops in places. Uh, maybe I should just fire up the PS3 version to quench my thirst for AG racing.

muteki

Is Wipeout 2048 any good? I slept on it when it came out and forgot about it when I finally got a Vita. I'm sure I have it on PS+ too.

I tried emulating Pure and Pulse on my laptop and they ran ok but with some pretty bad framerate drops in places. Uh, maybe I should just fire up the PS3 version to quench my thirst for AG racing.

One of the PSP wipeout games should be on PSN for Vita, the other plays fine if you have Henkaku/Adrenaline.

Shin-Ra

I'd doubt VR was ever on the table. Sony shuttered Studio Liverpool. This looks like a port job.

I'm gonna be shocked if they revamp textures.
The game was announced with screenshots...

(and HDR support)

Y'all should read the PS Blog announcements.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Huh. How did a bump like this with no new info on the game gain 2 extra pages?

Yeah, to be fair, they have been fairly quiet about this one since the announcement.

Nosgotham

im about to buy a ps4 pro and i'm excited about this. i love wipeout and i loved custom sountravks on ps3.
what are my options for custom music on ps4?

Top Bottom