• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired Morpheus Pre-E3 preview - mentions new Guerrilla game, Trackmania VR, Harmonix

watership

Amazing how at the end of the day all this will come down to price.

Depends. Kinect was a sales success, but it was gimped because to lower the price they took out processing chips. That was still 150 dollars. If this is $299, it'll sell well, but they will be huge trade offs in specs.

panda-zebra

Point-blank: how much do you expect the Morpheus headset, standalone, to cost?

You can't honestly expect it to be $199.

I've never used the $199 figure personally, but $199 by holiday 2016 for stand alone headset i don't see as being too unreasonable if they choose to sell at cost and bring about large scale adoption.

At launch, $350 with camera and a move/move-like wand is my best guess.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
the sony hmz-t1 and hmz-t2 were like $800 each. but that was the r&d device for morpheus i believe. i bought mine 2nd hand for 600.

i dont see this being cheaper than $349.99 after its all said and done.

some of you guys are not being realistic, but ill gladly eat crow if im wrong.

KalBalboa

Banned
Will we even get a price tonight?

Probably not, but we should get a better idea of some games and hardware expectations (camera, Move, etc).

i dont see this being cheaper than $349.99 after its all said and done.

some of you guys are not being realistic, but ill gladly eat crow if im wrong.

Same. I'm not going to feel bad if I'm expecting $300-400 and it gets announced for less.

Kinda funny how a couple years ago the big focus was on motion controls and social gaming in front of the TV and now it's VR which puts you in your own world

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Kinda funny how a couple years ago the big focus was on motion controls and social gaming in front of the TV and now it's VR which puts you in your own world

I feel exactly the same. For all the pushing the industry has done for social gaming, VR couldn't be any further apart.

Falchion

A VR version of Trackmania would be amazing. That game is all about gravity defying stunts and flips so a cockpit mode with Morpheus would be vomit inducing fun.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I whole-heartedly agree. I think some people are looking at the cost of a PS4 as some metric to measure the Morpheus against, and the same with a powerful PC and Oculus. If you go by that logic, you end up thinking in terms of "accessories" for $400 and $1000 boxes, and that's silly.
I'm not expecting a price in the $199 range for Morpheus but, yes, I do see the current pricing of the PS4 as a sensible ceiling for it. I'm not seeing how that logic is "silly": it *is* an accessory to the PS4, esp. in the case of Morpheus since it's likely to be proprietarily tethered to the PS4 alone. If Sony were launching Morpheus more as its own standalone hardware setup for VR gaming on any computing platform, they might have more leeway on pricing.

Loudninja

Yeah, was about to post this - definitely not a mix up then. Only question is if it's built for VR (I hope!) or a hybrid title.

Worth noting that Yoshida and Sony have in the past cautioned against games with 'tacked on' VR modes vs designing games specifically for VR.
Yeah not a mix up because Scott Rhodes reweeted the same article.

I cant wait to see what they have.

Man

Was about to post in this thread that 'clearly Guerrilla VR game is just a mix up' but then Shu re-tweeted. It's a possibility that Shu got mixed up because they asked him to re-tweet so...

Man

Grimløck;167965959 said:
not going to be thrilled if guerilla's game is indeed VR
I don't think anyone is expecting Horizon to have VR. The question is if Guerrilla has a smaller VR project on the side.

VanWinkle

Grimløck;167965959 said:
not going to be thrilled if guerilla's game is indeed VR

Same here. I can't invest hundreds of dollars into something just for a game I want to play. At the same time, I unfortunately understand that they need compelling exclusive content for people to want it.

iceatcs

It will be several hundreds because not just headset, likely to have 2 move controllers, and camera.

Hopefully there should have some rebate for people who have already own camera and move.
Maybe headset only can be buy from online only.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It could be a Guerrilla Cambridge game...technically Guerrilla are a two team studio now, right?

I saw some people saying on Twitter that Guerrilla Games means Guerrilla Amsterdam, but I doubt Wired would be so discerning.

Horizon could well be the game though, be it from Amsterdam or Cambridge - it is the one with the recent domain name activity recently, right?

AznSniper

I don't think anyone is expecting Horizon to have VR. The question is if Guerrilla has a smaller VR project on the side.

Exactly, as I mentioned earlier, it's possible that Guerrilla Cambridge is going to unveil a Morpheus game with the main studio in Amsterdam unveiling Horizon.

facelike

Way I've always seen it:
Couple=2
Few=3
Several=4
Multiple=5+

$400. Confirmed. (Now I need 1k) for the system, games and vr headset.

Was about to post in this thread that 'clearly Guerrilla VR game is just a mix up' but then Shu re-tweeted. It's a possibility that Shu got mixed up because they asked him to re-tweet so...

Nah he retweeted the article in the OP too. Even tweeted the writer to fix a mistake in it. Not a chance.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Maybe this is the Guerrilla game?

Rigs is an arena-based multiplayer FPS from Guerrilla Cambridge - Rumour
http://www.videogamer.com/psvita/ki...ayer_fps_from_guerrilla_cambridge_rumour.html

Sony has plans to announce a new 3v3 arena-based multiplayer first-person shooter from Guerrilla Cambridge during its E3 press conference later today, according to information obtained by VideoGamer.com.

VideoGamer.com was provided details on the unannounced title earlier in the year but was unable to corroborate it with a secondary source.

This morning, however, a trademark for the game was filed by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, suggesting the details provided to us could be true.

According to our source, the multiplayer shooter will see two teams of players taking control of mechs and earning power ups through kills, before jumping down a hole in the centre of the map to score points for their team.

A mech game could be suited to VR - though no mention of VR explicitly in this article.

Will0827

I wouldn't be surprised if it is more then 299.99, which considering the hardware and R&D, what sucks is that if it is to high people just wouldn't buy it and it not selling well and for the OR needing a pretty nice spec machine, things like google cardboard will be what pushes vr forward because of the ease of access for consumers. IMO even if the price is high i would understand given what the product offering is, but that also will be the deciding factor for VR to be a big thing now. Or i could be totally wrong and hopefully i am and many will by a morpheus and VR will be a thing much faster. Either way i will be getting one.

Tain

A VR version of Trackmania would be amazing. That game is all about gravity defying stunts and flips so a cockpit mode with Morpheus would be vomit inducing fun.
It's already VR on PC, actually, and it works excellently. It's not too dizzying to me if I stick to third person.

I don't think it's Shu that's lacking in understanding of the English language.

If you read his post again you will see that he is saying that even native-English speakers are mistaken, along with Shu (possibly), in using the word several to mean more than one.

xJavonta

Banned
They will need to have this thing as a demo in all major retailers. That's the only way it'll sell. People bought Guitar Hero and Rock Band bundles which were more than $150 for plastic instrument controllers with no problem. If they can try this out before they buy it I'm confident it'll be huge.

TheMan

Honestly even 200 is too high a price for a peripheral if they want mass market, but I assume Sony is well aware of that.

Teaming up with other players to take down a Robo-Rex in VR? Sign me up! Just imagine the sense of scale.

pfffft everyone knows several comes from the world seven
I thought so too, but it turns out it actually comes from the Latin adjective sēpar, meaning "separate."

I agree, There's no point in them showing their hand yet.
Let Oculus and Vive announce their $399 and $499 price points first, then you undercut those by $100-$200 and look like the good guys of VR.
Or, they could go ahead and announce $300, and let Oculus and Valve take the lulz when they come in at $400-$500.

People keep saying this, but that's not really how it's going to go down. The markets for these headsets *exist* already. There are millions of existing PS4 owners out there and there are millions of PC gamers out there with rigs that meet the recommended Oculus specs already(and even more will upgrade over the next year to reach that).
Do you happen to have a link for that? How many million are we talking here?

These are who these headsets will be targeted at primarily. And the price difference wont be that big between them. I dont foresee a ton of people who have nothing suddenly going, "Oh hey, let me go spend $700 just to play some VR", either. They aren't going to see that as a 'steal'. I think the 'average non-gamer' market is going to be hard to crack til prices come down in general. But that's ok.
Yeah, "current customers" will obviously be the first on board, but if the tech takes off, I think it has the potential to draw in a completely new crowd, much like the Wii did when it introduced motion controls. I think those potential new users will be particularly price sensitive.

They will need to have this thing as a demo in all major retailers. That's the only way it'll sell. People bought Guitar Hero and Rock Band bundles which were more than $150 for plastic instrument controllers with no problem. If they can try this out before they buy it I'm confident it'll be huge.
Yeah, demos will be vital. I expect Morpheus to have a large demo presence at retail.

It's going to be an uphill battle at retail, since you pretty much have to have an employee manning a demo station all day .
Maybe, maybe not. The latest prototype is supposed to be a lot more intuitive. People needed assistance donning the first model, but supposedly new users are able to handle the new one on their own.

Even if it does need to be staffed full time, Sony will probably provide the manpower themselves. If that turns out to be the case though, the demos will probably be restricted to places like GameStop and Best Buy, with Walmart being left out.

bj00rn_

Banned
Do you happen to have a link for that? How many million are we talking here?

In 2012 there was an estimated 54 million Performance and Enthusiast class PC gamers worldwide. Enthusiast and Performance class PC gamers are defined as those who spend over $1,000 on equipment.

IIRC these numbers was expected to rise to ~70 million by 2014 (or was it 2015..).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/jpr-pc-gamers-numbers-pc-gaming-dead,15530.html
http://jonpeddie.com/publications/pc_gaming_hardware_market_report/
http://www.iesherpa.com/?cat=222

Elitro

I guess it's hard to market, because you need to experience it to understand it.

Also with all the things going on in that conference, it makes it even harder to fit VR in it.

But they definitely need to devote some time to it, if they want to make it relevant. I was disappointed with 2.20 mins of Morpheus time, it's just not enough.

magnumpy

re: the cost

oculus rift DK2 seems to have similar specs to morpheus (1920x1080 screen most notably) and it cost $350. I would expect morpheus to be priced along those lines. of course I have no idea what sony would choose to price morpheus at...?

In 2012 there was an estimated 54 million Performance and Enthusiast class PC gamers worldwide. Enthusiast and Performance class PC gamers are defined as those who spend over $1,000 on equipment.

IIRC these numbers was expected to rise to ~70 million by 2014 (or was it 2015..).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/jpr-pc-gamers-numbers-pc-gaming-dead,15530.html
http://jonpeddie.com/publications/pc_gaming_hardware_market_report/
http://www.iesherpa.com/?cat=222
Thanks. Unfortunately, that doesn't really tell me how old those 54M computers actually were. Only fairly recent, high-end builds would really qualify as "already meeting the spec." I have a box I paid $3400 for, but it won't power the Rift, because it's an Amiga 3000. See what I mean? Also, the estimate was 72M by 2015. 6M sales per year doesn't really strike me as a lot, but again, I have no idea how much attrition and/or upgrading they're assuming in the process, if any.

I'd be more interested to know how many 970s Nvidia have actually sold. I'm guessing they don't share that information?

re: the cost

oculus rift DK2 seems to have similar specs to morpheus (1920x1080 screen most notably) and it cost $350. I would expect morpheus to be priced along those lines. of course I have no idea what sony would choose to price morpheus at...?
It wouldn't cost Sony nearly $350 to build DK2s on a mass scale. It probably doesn't even cost them that much to build an entire PS4, and a headset is far less complex than that.

Top Bottom