• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman texted "driving drunk woo" just before fatal crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Woman texted "driving drunk woo" just before fatal crash

MIAMI - A woman charged with DUI manslaughter for a fatal crash sent text messages to her boyfriend that read "Driving drunk woo" and "I'll be dead thanks to you" minutes before the accident, reports the Miami Herald.

On Thursday, prosecutors released new evidence, including a string of text messages, involving that deadly crash on August 14, 2013.

According to CBS Miami, Mila Dago, then 22, was behind the wheel of a rented Smart Car when she reportedly blew through a red light at around 4:45 a.m. and t-boned a truck driven by 51-year old Benjamin Byrum.

Dago and Byrum survived the crash, but Dago's passenger -- her friend, 22-year old Irina Reinoso -- was killed.

Three minutes after sending the last message, prosecutors say Dago crashed into the truck. Blood tests revealed that Dago's blood alcohol level was .178, more than twice the legal limit, nearly two hours after the crash, according to police.

Mila-Dago-jpg.jpg

There's some more details at the link-didn't want to post the whole article even though it's short. But this is why driving sucks. Everyone brags that they're a good driver, but it doesn't matter-these are the nudniks out on the road with you.

Tenebrous

It's a shame the wrong person died. Anyone who drink drives should lose their license for life and face jail time... It's just not a laughing matter.

Zhengi

Driving drunk and texting at the same time. SMH. Throw the book at her and keep her locked up for a very long time.

I'm surprised a smart car has the ability to deliver a fatal crash to a truck. How goddamn fast was she going for that?

EDIT: Okay, so truck guy didn't get killed, much more sense.

Driving drunk and texting while driving is fucking stupid enough but you need to be on another level of fucked up to combine the three.

Angel_DvA

She could have killed someone, don't drive if you're drunk.

Edit: Damn I just saw that she killed her friend, well, good luck to live with that in your mind...

Magnus

There are texts where she's BRAGGING about it?

Lock her up and throw away the key. What a monster. Poor victim.

She did? The truck driver she t-boned, right?

Edit- I read the full article at the link; it was her passenger. God damn. I'm glad the other innocent in the truck she hit survived.

Fury451

Banned

...she did.

I'm always sad and appalled by stories like this, the people killed are usually innocent bystanders are passengers or something. Hope she gets what she deserves legally.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Throw the book at her.

Also, she was out with friends. No designated driver and they let her go home like that.

how do you prosecute something like that? accessory to manslaughter? something though, there's gotta be stiffer penalties when you know a friend is going to get behind the wheel of a car and fuck about like this.

If I was her boyfriend I would've reported her ass ASAP. license plate, anything I could remember. Dump anyones ass that pulls that kind of shit.

Dago has pleaded not guilty to DUI manslaughter, vehicular homicide and two counts of DUI with damage to a person.

Wow, I can't believe she would even attempt that. Truly terrible that she killed her friend.

how do you prosecute something like that? accessory to manslaughter? something though, there's gotta be stiffer penalties when you know a friend is going to get behind the wheel of a car and fuck about like this.

If I was her boyfriend I would've reported her ass ASAP. license plate, anything I could remember. Dump anyones ass that pulls that kind of shit.
Her friend died in the crash and she's being charged with manslaughter for the death.

OP Probably could have used more information on the deaths since a lot of people are guilty of not reading the article.

Joni

That is easy for the prosecutor. Doesn't even have to do his own job. He gets a day off while she talks herself to prison. It is so simple. Don't drunk drive, don't get in a car with a drunk driver.

She killed an innocent 51-year old man.

She should be in jail for 25 years to life. I don't give a shit what else she does in life. This is unacceptable. After she serves her time maybe she can rejoin us in civil society.

C'mon, it's a short article. The passenger of her car died, not the driver of the truck.

frontovik

Banned
Thread title is a tad confusing. Just to be clear, both drivers survived, but the passenger in the offender's car did not.

She's alive. She killed the 51 year man.

You can't charge dead people lol.

She didn't kill the 51 year old man. She T-boned his car but he survived. She killed her passenger who I assume was her drinking buddy.

Dago and Byrum survived the crash, but Dago's passenger -- her friend, 22-year old Irina Reinoso -- was killed.

Prosecutors say at the time of the crash Dago was in the middle of a nasty break up with her boyfriend. As she and her friends bar-hopped, she fired off a series of angry texts to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom