• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Dunkley

Because a game isn't a microwave and that's a dumb example.

Nice kneejerk, but no, both things are products, both things are expected to fulfill a certain function which is the reason why we buy them, and both are valid to refund if they don't do what we expected them to do.

It's actually a really good example.

Why would they be advised to stay quiet? Why weren't WB/Rocksteady/IG advised to stay quiet about Arkham Knight? Doesn't make sense.

The only reason I can think of is money, but it's just quick money - in exchange for their reputation. Their reputation is basically damaged for all eternity, and more so each day passing without a statement of some kind.

They should've bit the bullet and communicated with their fans.

There's no excuse for this.

I believe they've said that they've basically got their head down focused on putting out patches (they're already on 1.07). It's the same reason Valve is absolute shit at communicating and they don't even have the dozen-person excuse that HG has, they're a massive company - they've got no real 'PR' person, and if someone is doing PR then they aren't helping with the actual games. It's also why it all got out of hand in the first place probably too.

Nice kneejerk, but no, both things are products, both things are expected to fulfill a certain function which is the reason why we buy them, and both are valid to refund if they don't do what we expected them to do.

It's actually a really good example.

A game is not just a product. You don't read a book and then return it because you don't like it. You don't watch a movie and then demand your money back because you didn't like the ending. Come on now.

I just got a refund for this on PSN. They didn't put up any resistance, just gave me the refund to my wallet. I'd only played for 2 hours though. Horribly disappointing game.

SomTervo

Maybe so, i still don't think refunds are always a good thing for the industry

It could be a slippery slope giving refunds to players that have lots of play-time. But there's a lot of complexity here. For some people, NMS barely works at all. Cases like that are just like buying a DVD from a shop that doesn't work or going to the cinema and the projector breaking. You get your money back.

That's not entirely what's happening here, though, obviously.

I am not saying people shouldn't be upset or trying to stifle discussion. Just the vitriol and hatred is going a bit too far.

I agree, but unfortunately there's nothing to do about it than let it burn itself out. Try to get involved to mitigate it and you will just become the recipient of said vitriol and hatred.
Found this out the hard way.

rockyt

Other industries and retail for example. Phones any product you used for while but after around 50 hours would shut itself down every so often even after full charge out of nowhere. Calls would suddenly drop not to mention slow downs. This is within the firt month. Problem found to be with phone and that it's defective. Phone companies will fix it for free, replace it, or refund it. Same with TV's. I was in best buy the other day and a guy returned a monitor just after a week of use. Monitor would shut itself down randomly after the 5th day. Worker happily refund him. They didn't call him a thief or that he got his money worth. Another example was a wife and kids returning a DVD movie forgot the name at walmart. She complain movie would freeze an hr and half into a two hour movie. Complaint checked out and was asked if she wanted replacement, cash, or credit back. Only in the game industries is where the industries feel they are special from the rest.

Hupsel

"This is my first post in this thread, but just wanted to say that Ive always favoured buyer beware over consumer rights. I believe that companies should have the right to lie/mislead in their marketing (to an extent). The market should correct this. The press has the right to give unfair negative reviews. Word of mouth will spread, especially in a world with internet. Companies that do this should fail.

I'm a person who always blames myself. If I bought a shitty product, I should have read more reviews. Why didn't I check the yelp reviews before going to this restaurant? That's on me. I bought Brute Force on day one, and was so mad at myself for not waiting for more reviews to come in.

For the rest of my life, companies are going to lie to me to try and get my money, and I support that! Of course we need consumer rights in terms of safety, etc. But I also like having the choice between a nice $10 stapler, or a shitty $1 stapler from the dollar store."

"If you bought a book without looking through it and then got home and realized it wasn't printed you get what you deserve. No one is responsible for your purchase other than you. You are at fault. Buyer Beware is just as right as Consumer protection. Both sides will take advantage, just as is being shown here."

I give up...

raw

I'm playing exactly the game that was advertised to me. The concept which sold me from the start.

Only after playing it do I yearn for more content, none of which was hinted at or shown and then removed.

People bought a game and expected more than was promised and point to different textures and effects as if any of it amounted to a different kind of game they dreamed up in their minds.

Honest question, have you either A. Kept up with what Sean Murray had been promoting in various interviews or B. Read the big list of advertised features and gameplay elements that are not as they were advertised or are completely missing from the game altogether?

If you have, and you're still making this statement, I honestly want to play whatever game you bought. Like give me that build of No Man's Sky, because that sounds a hell of a lot better than what everyone else got.

Audioboxer

Why would they be advised to stay quiet though? Why weren't WB/Rocksteady/IG advised to stay quiet about Arkham Knight? Doesn't make much sense.

One reason I can think of is money, but it's just quick money - in exchange for their reputation. Their reputation is basically damaged for all eternity, and more so each day passing without a statement of some kind.

They should've bit the bullet and communicated with their fans.

There's no excuse for this.

A combination of $$$ and Sony if you ask me. Sony probably on the $$$ front as well. Not necessarily saying Sony would block them from handling their own PR, but let us not forget they have a fair bit invested into this game. GG Sony (good guy Sony... not gamergate Sony... lol) has existed in large strokes this gen, but let us not forget they are a corporation with corporate overlords, shareholders and a main goal to make money out of you, not be your best friend.

SomTervo

When did this happen? I have been there from the beginning.

Quite a lot of people in this thread have used 'defence force' as a pejorative, and across many threads have said things to the effect of 'There are idiots who defend this game' and many statements like this. I don't think you have, Vlaud, but it's definitely happened. I think a few have gone into the OT, now, too.

FWIW I think criticism of NMS in the Official Thread is absolutely valid and should in fact be encouraged. The OT shouldn't just be an echo chamber of positivity.

Narag

Steam denied my request. I replied to the ticket that I was unhappy with effectively receiving a form letter regarding the matter and that I'd continue submitting tickets until this is resolved to my satisfaction.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
A game is not just a product. You don't read a book and then return it because you don't like it. You don't watch a movie and then demand your money back because you didn't like the ending. Come on now.

No, a game is a product. Just a product. It's expected to work. If you get a book with smeared ink throughout, you can get a refund. If you pop in a DVD and it doesn't work halfway through or the wrong movie is on the disc, you can get a refund.

Games aren't special. They should work. As a consumer, you also have the expectation to not be lied to regarding advertising about the product. It can be argued, to great success, that NMS and Hello Games were deceptive in its advertising for No Man's Sky.

There is no real argument to be had here. Refunds are being handed out by retailers. Even they are siding with the consumer (for the most part).

A combination of $$$ and Sony if you ask me. Sony probably on the $$$ front as well. Not necessarily saying Sony would block them from handling their own PR, but let us not forget they have a fair bit invested into this game. GG Sony (good guy Sony... not gamergate Sony... lol) has existed in large strokes this gen, but let us not forget they are a corporation with corporate overlords, shareholders and a main goal to make money out of you, not be your best friend.

Problem is, Sony only got the advertising deal. They don't make development decisions. They didn't even publish the game. The only form of funding is getting people to buy/play on a PS4, but otherwise they aren't getting shit for NMS selling.

So, going by how the PR has been before the game (and the fact that Sean commented on multiplayer that didn't exists), I don't think they have a leash on them so much as they are unwilling to clear the air themselves.

Both are corporations, and both are made to make money out of us. Sony gave them space to advertise (and probably funded some of it as well), and landed a timed exclusive for it. HG doesn't really give a shit if you are mad or not mad about multiplayer.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm playing exactly the game that was advertised to me. The concept which sold me from the start.

Only after playing it do I yearn for more content, none of which was hinted at or shown and then removed.

People bought a game and expected more than was promised and point to different textures and effects as if any of it amounted to a different kind of game they dreamed up in their minds.

vGrjzhQ.gif

Are you being serious or ironic?

Why did you buy the game? I'm curious what you were expecting?

I didn't bought the game, because luckily I didn't totally fell for the hype.

I don't know what people were expecting, but I guess they were expecting a game that included many of the gameplay features that the devs told they would be there.

It dosn't matter that 'technically' it's the game that was showed on the E3 2 years ago. Yeah, at the most basic level, this is the game that Sean showed in that scripted demo. But people aren't playing just a basic premise, they are playing a whole set of gameplay elements that makes many of the systems that surrounds those basic concepts, and many of these elements where either cut or simplified in the scope/importance Hello Games were promised.

They didn't dreamed those features, they didn't dreamed that the game would have Multiplayer, Sean, as the visual head of the marketing behind the game, said all these things would be in the game, people didn't invented that really large list of missing features that floats on reddit, they got them from Hello Games mouth.

Is ok that you got enough with the concept of a game and don't care about the envelope that surrounds it, other people have other expectations. Expectations that Hello Games managed to mislead up to the release of the game.

Most are returning for:

A) Severe technical issues
B) Missing promoted features

I'm not sure you are following what is going on :|

itxaka

Defeatist
Got my refund after 18 tries more or less. Played for 6 hours.

Good thing. That money is going for much better games like Deus ex.

Maybe it's time that I get doom? With everyone praising it and all that, but I'm not that big on fps games.

Oh well, at least this is a big middle finger to hello games and misleading PR. They can't get away with it anymore as this proves, so stop lying to your future customers or you will pay for it.

rockyt

Some people defending the industry practice on this probably tell someone who bought a book but found missing pages and chapters who cannot fully enjoy it or finish it thieves as well. Not to mention people who bought DVDs but can't finish it cause of screen freeze. Or better example going to the movie theater to watch a movie. All of a sudden the film tears or the player stopped working. People unable to watch their movie that night. Thus ruining their night who ask for money back or a nww ticket another day thieves as well. Game industries sure do love calling their customer thurs for what other industries does as standard practice.

MUnited83

For you.

Nah, people expected exactly what was promised. Sadly, the game is nothing even remotely close to that.

I think the game is extremely disappointing and the marketing is misleading, but I've put 35 hours into it and I wouldn't feel good about refunding it. Plus, I'd like it keep it around as a curiosity to see how they approach updates to it in the future.

me0wish

This is my first post in this thread, but just wanted to say that Ive always favoured buyer beware over consumer rights. I believe that companies should have the right to lie/mislead in their marketing (to an extent). The market should correct this. The press has the right to give unfair negative reviews. Word of mouth will spread, especially in a world with internet. Companies that do this should fail.

I'm a person who always blames myself. If I bought a shitty product, I should have read more reviews. Why didn't I check the yelp reviews before going to this restaurant? That's on me. I bought Brute Force on day one, and was so mad at myself for not waiting for more reviews to come in.

For the rest of my life, companies are going to lie to me to try and get my money, and I support that! Of course we need consumer rights in terms of safety, etc. But I also like having the choice between a nice $10 stapler, or a shitty $1 stapler from the dollar store.

WOW! That's amazing!

Nah, people expected exactly what was promised. Sadly, the game is nothing even remotely close to that.

"Nothing even remotely close"? You act like you were promised a universe exploration simulator and were delivered an old pair of Nikes and a pack of Orbitz. Sure, the marketing promised more than was delivered, but it's absurd to say that the game is "nothing even remotely close" to what was promised; it's still a universe exploration simulator with a bunch of procedurally-generated planets. Hyperbole does nothing to help your point.

Kintaro

That is because its a niche genre and won't sell like No Man's Sky did the first week. Trade in Madden 17 and I guarantee you get $40 or even more right now.

$30.

GameStop trade-in values are *always* shit. Deus Ex released less than a week ago and it's already at $25.

Well, yeah. They are a kabillion dollar corp. that is around because they buy low and sell high for profit on games. They would be dead like the majority of video game shops if they relied on new games and low profit margins. =P

Steam denied my request. I replied to the ticket that I was unhappy with effectively receiving a form letter regarding the matter and that I'd continue submitting tickets until this is resolved to my satisfaction.

Yeah, I agree, get your money back. I'm doing the same thing when they finally deign me worthy to respond to. I will tell them the exact same thing. This is a no compromise situation and I will go stand outside of the valve offices in goddamn Seattle if I have to (okay no I won't but I'll ticket the ever living bajeezus out of their customer support).

Clockwork5

Ehh I put about 10 hours into it and, like many others here, found it lacking substance. I would go for a refund but the PSN policy of "everybody gets one" has me holding off.

At this point I'm sitting tight and waiting for some of these free DLCs in hopes that they flesh things out. I'll probably give NMS another go if and when those come.

Kintaro

Weird. I have traded in many games and got $40 for them. I haven't bought physical in a couple years, though. Maybe that is why the trade in value has gone down, a lot less physical buyers?

Depends on the game I guess. How long ago was this? I work for the company and I don't recall giving $40 for a game in a very, very long time (Marvel vs. Capcom 2 PS2 maybe? Xenoblade Wii?).

Also, when trade values drop like a rock, it means more and more are being traded in. Making it worth less and less to the company.

Just received the response to my refund request from Sony. Denied. Fuck.

Why?

Did you use the live chat? It should be very quick.

QUOTE MY REASONING FROM WORD TO WORD!

Me (8/19/2016, 4:19:25 PM): The PSN ID is shagg_187
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:19:31 PM): Thank you so much, which is the game and why do not you want it any more?
Me (8/19/2016, 4:19:43 PM): The game is No Man's Sky
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:20:23 PM): I see.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:20:29 PM): I do not want it because of false advertisement, and because there is no online even though they said there is.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:20:48 PM): I have never refunded anything from PSN and I'm a customer since 2006
Me (8/19/2016, 4:21:01 PM): So this is hopefully my first and last request.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:21:34 PM): PSN is very nice about providing all the information about a product, but this was falsely advertised and I would like to request a refund so I can make a better purchase.
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:21:56 PM): Let me explain you some details about the refund process.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:22:01 PM): Okay
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:22:40 PM): According to the User Agreement all sales are final. Please keep in mind that it will done as onetime gesture of goodwill and funds will be returned to your PSN wallet. Is your Sign-In ID a valid email address?
Me (8/19/2016, 4:23:05 PM): Thank you! Yes, this is a valid email address and ID
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:23:22 PM): Please allow me to tell you that once the refund is approved in the PSN wallet it can not be trasnferred to another place.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:23:30 PM): No problem.
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:23:48 PM): Just allow me a moment to process the refund for you.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:23:57 PM): I'll wait. Thanks, Fredy.
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:24:45 PM): Your refund has been completed, you can now check your PSN wallet and the funds will be there for you to purchase any other content in the PSN Store. You will also receive an email confirmation for this. Here is your refund case number for future reference xxxxxxx.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:24:54 PM): Wow. You are fast.
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:24:55 PM): Can you please confirm me if its in the wallet?
Me (8/19/2016, 4:25:07 PM): I will check. Please give me a minute.
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:25:13 PM): Sure :)
Me (8/19/2016, 4:25:54 PM): Yes!!
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:26:03 PM): Thank you very much, please notice that we have sent you a survey to your e-mail, we would truly appreciate if you can answer it.

Here: https://scea.secure.force.com/LiveChatRequest/?lang=en_US

I attempted that got another agent, he said I got refunded a $0 beta and closed the chat.

Now I'm blocked from chat. I was going to let it go, but not after that.

Get your money back. That's really disturbing though, I'd hope that's a misguided intern or something because that's not kosher.

redcrayon

Would you return a book if the last chapter was missing, or a DVD if it froze an hour into a film?

There are two arguments going on here and they are being generalised into one due to social media. If a game is riddled with technical issues that only occur dozens of hours in, but stop you finishing the game, you should get a refund as its a pretty basic assumption that the game will work after two, twenty, fifty or even a thousand hours over multiple playthroughs if that's what the player decides.

I had the same thing twice before with games on Sony platforms, probably as I mostly play RPGs.. First with Skyrim on PS3, and also Dragon Fin Soup on Vita last year (in that case a main quest npc refused to give the right option to allow the game to continue, and the devs fessed up that there was nothing they could do due to it being outsourced and a patch being months away if it happened at all). In neither case did I see so many people suggesting that, because it was a lengthy game, I'd had my money's worth and so should not ask for my money back despite my reasonable assumption on purchasing that I'd be able to finish my campaigns.

If you are only referring to anyone returning an item for a refund after dozens of hours because they just didn't like it and saw the opportunity, then fair enough, but it's silly that the former completely legitimate reason for a refund is getting derided by people as taking the piss.

Having an arbitrary length of time, after which the game crashing constantly is acceptable as the player is deemed to have had their money's-worth, is an odd way to approach the issue of large games being riddled with bugs.

Again. Folks that are refunding from Sony,
QUOTE MY REASONING FROM WORD TO WORD!

Me (8/19/2016, 4:19:25 PM): The PSN ID is shagg_187
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:19:31 PM): Thank you so much, which is the game and why do not you want it any more?
Me (8/19/2016, 4:19:43 PM): The game is No Man's Sky
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:20:23 PM): I see.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:20:29 PM): I do not want it because of false advertisement, and because there is no online even though they said there is.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:20:48 PM): I have never refunded anything from PSN and I'm a customer since 2006
Me (8/19/2016, 4:21:01 PM): So this is hopefully my first and last request.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:21:34 PM): PSN is very nice about providing all the information about a product, but this was falsely advertised and I would like to request a refund so I can make a better purchase.
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:21:56 PM): Let me explain you some details about the refund process.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:22:01 PM): Okay
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:22:40 PM): According to the User Agreement all sales are final. Please keep in mind that it will done as onetime gesture of goodwill and funds will be returned to your PSN wallet. Is your Sign-In ID a valid email address?
Me (8/19/2016, 4:23:05 PM): Thank you! Yes, this is a valid email address and ID
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:23:22 PM): Please allow me to tell you that once the refund is approved in the PSN wallet it can not be trasnferred to another place.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:23:30 PM): No problem.
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:23:48 PM): Just allow me a moment to process the refund for you.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:23:57 PM): I'll wait. Thanks, Fredy.
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:24:45 PM): Your refund has been completed, you can now check your PSN wallet and the funds will be there for you to purchase any other content in the PSN Store. You will also receive an email confirmation for this. Here is your refund case number for future reference xxxxxxx.
Me (8/19/2016, 4:24:54 PM): Wow. You are fast.
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:24:55 PM): Can you please confirm me if its in the wallet?
Me (8/19/2016, 4:25:07 PM): I will check. Please give me a minute.
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:25:13 PM): Sure :)
Me (8/19/2016, 4:25:54 PM): Yes!!
Fredy (8/19/2016, 4:26:03 PM): Thank you very much, please notice that we have sent you a survey to your e-mail, we would truly appreciate if you can answer it.

Here: https://scea.secure.force.com/LiveChatRequest/?lang=en_US

Top Bottom