• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

inky

bildschirmfoto2016-08wpktm.png

bildschirmfoto2016-08tdr41.png

Seems like the only dude out there still willing to speak up about this bs.

Kudos to him.

DoomGaze

Banned
This is a mess.

I really feel for you guys who bought this game.

I know that ultimately people are trying to make money, but good grief. Underhanded tactics never work out in the end.

Just woke up after my sick nap,

I'm playing exactly the game that was advertised to me. The concept which sold me from the start.

Only after playing it do I yearn for more content, none of which was hinted at or shown and then removed.

People bought a game and expected more than was promised and point to different textures and effects as if any of it amounted to a different kind of game they dreamed up in their minds.

Was this you?

CpsFFGnUIAA5hN4.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Totally agreed with Jim, if the rules allow you to play a game for over 50 hours and get a refund then you just exercised your rights.
Personally, I do not think that refunds are really entitled to people who have played a non THAT much of a broken game for such a long period of time, but it gets trickier if you get the issue of misleading advertising into the mix.

My god. Are people allowed to just spam good reviews for the express purpose of upping an average rating? What site is this from??

Presumably metacritic

Whats good about steam user reviews is that people can vote on good quality reviews, thereby making high quality reviews count a lot more than spammed nonsense

So if you look at steam page for NMS, although the review average is "mixed" every single "most helpful" reviews that are shown by default are negative, since they have been verified by large amounts of people as accurate and representative reviews.

In other words, by default if you navigate to steam NMS page and scroll down, every single review shown on the main page content is negative with detailed commentary as to why. Tons of people have posted positive reviews since the game launched (and was rated "mostly negative") but the way steam works is that users see the vetted reviews on the page (which are 100% negative, red thumb downs)

DevilFox

Probably more and more refund requests will be rejected as time goes on, as more and more people will take advantage of it and, quite obviously, nor Valve or Sony or anyone else can approve thousands of refunds (I guess we are around the thousand by now).
That being said, if I have to be 100% honest, I think Sahid had a point. Sure, calling you thiefs isn't very polite but let's be real: we gamers have accepted in the past every kind of scum from big devs, be it absurd microtransactions, extreme poor content at $60, broken games, lies, servers closed way too soon, DLC on disk and even true endings sold separately as DLC. None of these actions led to a thread that later would go "viral", if I can use this term, creating a mass of people asking for refunds. I find it ironic that's the little team of 12 who has to pay the price while the big ones can always get away with everything.
Please believe me when I say I'm not defending HG, they shipped a lie and I never liked NMS to begin with, but I have to say, most of you could've avoided this game by waiting few days. Preorders have their risk and dealing with a shitty, broken game is one. But ehi who knows, HG could fix it.. or so I thought before this gigantic backslash. I just think this situation is getting a little out of hand and this silence from HG / Sean / Sony sounds like a very bad signal.

Quite a lot of people in this thread have used 'defence force' as a pejorative, and across many threads have said things to the effect of 'There are idiots who defend this game' and many statements like this. I don't think you have, Vlaud, but it's definitely happened. I think a few have gone into the OT, now, too.

FWIW I think criticism of NMS in the Official Thread is absolutely valid and should in fact be encouraged. The OT shouldn't just be an echo chamber of positivity.

Um, I know you are a smart guy so you have to know that when most people say the bolded, while not something I would say personally, they mean that these people will literally come to the games defense and try to tell the people who are trying to voice their anger at the state of things towards HG that there is no problem. And they do. Even in this thread there are many people who are basically shaming people who are getting refunds. All of that to us makes it seem like there are some crazy people who defend the game blindly. A lot of them are hit and runs.

What I haven't seen is people outright attacking or upset at those who are enjoying the game and trying to stop them. That is the accusation that was lobbed that I was talking about in my post. That there was a tone from the people who are against HG and the way they handled this of being angry that others where enjoying the game. I believe even the term "big ol fart cloud thrown their way" by the NMS threads was even used. I don't see that and I have been in and read pretty much all of them except the OT because I just wanted the people who are enjoying the game to be able to have a place to do so away from this situation if that's what they want.

Presumably metacritic

Whats good about steam user reviews is that people can vote on good quality reviews, thereby making high quality reviews count a lot more than spammed nonsense

So if you look at steam page for NMS, although the review average is "mixed" every single "most helpful" reviews that are shown by default are negative, since they have been verified by large amounts of people as accurate and representative reviews.

In other words, by default if you navigate to steam NMS page and scroll down, every single review shown on the main page content is negative with detailed commentary as to why. Tons of people have posted positive reviews since the game launched (and was rated "mostly negative") but the way steam works is that users see the vetted reviews on the page (which are 100% negative, red thumb downs)

"More Helpful" reviews don't impact the overall average any more than less helpful ones, do they?

darthbob

Fuck Steam Support and Fuck Chuck.

1 Message by you on Sat, Aug 27 2016 16:27
Hello, I pre-ordered No Man's Sky based on the videos and pictures that are on display in the Steam store and the game that I got is not representative of the promotional material on display. Furthermore, the head programmer/producer of No Man's Sky, Sean Murray, had promised multiplayer in the game in previous promotional material and that functionality was not in the game that I purchased. The game still runs poorly on my computer and that mixed with the lack of promised features leaves me asking for a refund of the game.

Thank you.
2 Message by Support Tech Chuck on Mon, Aug 29 2016 11:46
Thank you for inquiring about a refund for No Man’s Sky. There has been some recent confusion in the community about Steam refunds for this title. Our standard refund policy continues to apply to No Man’s Sky, and playtime continues to matter when refunding the product.

We’ve reviewed your playtime and unfortunately you do not qualify for a refund.

Please review our refund policy here:
http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Ultryx

Message by you on Sat, Aug 27 2016 15:21
I would like to request a refund for No Man's Sky that I recently purchased. I know Steam has a policy of 2 hours of playtime, and I have approximately 4 hours of playtime. The initial hours of this game were spent fighting massive frame rate issues, crashes, and servers just not working. There were several aspects of this game advertised and we were led to believe was in the game, but they are missing. In fact, tons of what Sean at Hello Games advertised is just simply not true. There are numerous videos of him claiming yes or no to many things and then they just do not exist in the game.

I have had a Steam account for many years and have hundreds of games in my collection. This is the first and only game I've requested a refund on. There is a thread on Reddit that had at least 30 different claims that turned out to be straight false. I feel so lied to about this game that I was extremely excited about.

I wanted to give the game an honest chance, but the more I learned about it, the more I regretted my purchase and realized it is a shell of the game we were promised.

I would greatly appreciate a refund for this game: back onto my credit card, please.

Thank you for your time.

Message by Support Tech Chuck on Mon, Aug 29 2016 11:19
Thank you for inquiring about a refund for No Man’s Sky. There has been some recent confusion in the community about Steam refunds for this title. Our standard refund policy continues to apply to No Man’s Sky, and playtime continues to matter when refunding the product.

Pretty much. I mean, yeah, there are people who will "abuse" an unconditional refund policy and exercise it not because they felt they were falsely advertised to or otherwise were unhappy with the game but just because they were done with it and wanted the money. But the solution to that isn't to shame the people in the latter group or deny the people in the former group their right to a refund, it's to not fuck up so bad that you have to offer unconditional refunds in the first place.

Fuck Steam Support and Fuck Chuck.

I would like to request a refund for No Man's Sky that I recently purchased. I know Steam has a policy of 2 hours of playtime, and I have approximately 4 hours of playtime. The initial hours of this game were spent fighting massive frame rate issues, crashes, and servers just not working. There were several aspects of this game advertised and we were led to believe was in the game, but they are missing. In fact, tons of what Sean at Hello Games advertised is just simply not true. There are numerous videos of him claiming yes or no to many things and then they just do not exist in the game.

I have had a Steam account for many years and have hundreds of games in my collection. This is the first and only game I've requested a refund on. There is a thread on Reddit that had at least 30 different claims that turned out to be straight false. I feel so lied to about this game that I was extremely excited about.

I wanted to give the game an honest chance, but the more I learned about it, the more I regretted my purchase and realized it is a shell of the game we were promised.

I would greatly appreciate a refund for this game: back onto my credit card, please.

Thank you for your time.

Something tells me that some people are literally just looking at playtime and nothing more...

Steam is letting me down here. Sony has a big one up on them here in my book. At least in the US... :/

I would still keep trying though, and if you live in the UK then try posting this along with it. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

If you are in AUS then mention the ACCC lawsuit. Someone did that and got a refund when they initially weren't going to.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Thank you for your time.

You should have kept your refund request strictly to technical issues honestly. The bolded and underlined of your post are the issues that should not have been mentioned as it dilutes the real issue which was the technical problems you were experiencing.

He said she said type of reasons are easier to brush off than actual technical issues preventing one from partaking in a product they paid for.

Ultryx

Something tells me that some people are literally just looking at playtime and nothing more...

Steam is letting me down here. Sony has a big one up on them here in my book. At least in the US... :/

I would still keep trying though, and if you live in the UK then try posting this along with it. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

If you are in AUS then mention the ACCC lawsuit. Someone did that and got a refund when they initially weren't going to.

In the US and no luck.

You should have kept your refund request strictly to technical issues honestly. The bolded and underlined of your post are the issues that should not have been mentioned as it dilutes the real issue which was the technical problems you were experiencing.

He said she said type of reasons are easier to brush off than actual technical issues preventing one from partaking in a product they paid for.

Maybe, but Steam really just seems like they want to shove their finger in my ass at this point. Very unhappy with them.

Datschge

Don't want to single you out, the bolded is repeated by some here even though it doesn't apply.
Please believe me when I say I'm not defending HG, they shipped a lie and I never liked NMS to begin with, but I have to say, most of you could've avoided this game by waiting few days. Preorders have their risk and dealing with a shitty, broken game is one.
Meanwhile the E3 2014 trailer on the Steam page is still proudly advertising features that are not in the game proper.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Maybe, but Steam really just seems like they want to shove their finger in my ass at this point. Very unhappy with them.

If that is how you felt about Steam and their customer support, then even more so you should not have thrown in any reasons for them to decline your request.

As you can imagine that right now every tom dick and harry are going to be trying to use the OMGZTHEYLIEDTOME excuse in order to get a free ride now that the news has gotten around the internet. Rather than folks who have had an actual issue such as yourself with poor performance / crashing.

Deadbeat

Banned

Exactly. Technical problems. Missing features. Tried the game multiple times after crashes which led to the playtime on record.

Keep it simple. Keep it clean.

Fuck me, this actually worked! Played around 15 hours and owned it for 19 days. Very nice customer service from Valve I'd say.

I owe OP the proverbial beer.

This is why people should keep trying. You may find the right rep who will read your ticket and give you a refund. Asking for supervisors is also a good idea. Just keep trying.

"More Helpful" reviews don't impact the overall average any more than less helpful ones, do they?

They are visible on the main page though. To see the other ones, you have to click them to read them in full etc since they are in the margins and just previews.

Normally when I check a new game out that I havent heard of before, I just look at those reviews on the main page (which are the most helpful)

But yeah like you say, doesnt look it makes any difference to the average score. But scrolling down the main page and seeing nothing but red thumbs down is strongly negative even if the average is technically "mixed"

DoomGaze

Banned
Regarding the refunds--

It's common for companies to become more unified in their responses as time goes by. They were probably taken back by all the intense reaction surrounding this game, and are just now getting a handle on how to respond.

In effect, you'll probably see less and less people getting their refunds.

I'm beginning to think that people may want to start e-mailing Gabe. Is there a way to do that? I seem to remember seeing e-mail responses from him on Reddit and such.

If anything it may make him contact HG and try to get them to at least freaking say something about all of this. But most importantly people having technical issues still should definitely be getting refunds.

Exactly. Technical problems. Missing features. Tried the game multiple times after crashes which led to the playtime on record.

Keep it simple. Keep it clean.

This. And escalate to supervisors whether it be a videogame product being returned, or an insurance claim being denied or whatever - always ask for a supervisor and if no luck THEIR supervisor. Higher up the chain you go the more they earn and the more discretionary power they have, and the more their time is worth.

This. And escalate to supervisors whether it be a videogame product being returned, or an insurance claim being denied or whatever - always ask for a supervisor and if no luck THEIR supervisor. Higher up the chain you go the more they earn and the more discretionary power they have, and the more their time is worth.

Yup, this has worked several times in this thread. I had advised someone to do this and if they said no to just try again and again until they get a supervisor who will grant the refund.

They did that and it worked.

I'm beginning to think that people may want to start e-mailing Gabe. Is there a way to do that? I seem to remember seeing e-mail responses from him on Reddit and such.

If anything it may make him contact HG and try to get them to at least freaking say something about all of this. But most importantly people having technical issues still should definitely be getting refunds.

I have a feeling Gabe may actually like the game. For all people's problems its actually a highly innovative game thats rare in being 100% procedurally generated and I think by this point gabe is so rich $60 is 0.00000000001% of his personal wealth so I dont think the "its not worth it" resonates.

Datschge

I have a feeling Gabe may actually like the game. For all people's problems its actually a highly innovative game thats rare in being 100% procedurally generated and I think by this point gabe is so rich $60 is 0.00000000001% of his personal wealth so I dont think the "its not worth it" resonates.
I'm sure Gabe also likes the E3 2014 trailer still playing on the Steam page.

ironcreed

Banned
Honestly, I am just going to wait and see on more games. Usually by this point in the year I have at least 3-4 Fall games pre-ordered, but right now I have zero. Instead, I am just enjoying the forgotten joys of my backlog and am thinking about heading back to Gamefly as well. Tired of getting burned.

I don't know, I feel like Gabe has been pegged as being consumer centric so I was just saying that more voices thrown his way couldn't hurt. Hopefully he would be willing to set aside his personal feelings about the game, if he truly believes that HG handled this correctly which I just find very hard to believe, and at least lend an ear and a helping hand to what the consumers are trying to make a case for here.

Stop using the "false promotion" as a reasoning in your return comments. I guarantee it reads "i'm part of a crazy reddit campaign" to these advisors.

Regarding the refunds--

It's common for companies to become more unified in their responses as time goes by. They were probably taken back by all the intense reaction surrounding this game, and are just now getting a handle on how to respond.

In effect, you'll probably see less and less people getting their refunds.

Yet they are never taken aback when the money is rolling in...

I put in a refund request ticket on Steam yesterday, with 8 hours play. If Steam stops offering refunds all of a sudden after providing many refunds, I feel like that's a bigger issue than the reason I am asking for a refund. You can't selectively offer refunds for the same issue.

Stop using the "false promotion" as a reasoning in your return comments. I guarantee it reads "i'm part of a crazy reddit campaign" to these advisors.

I think people where using that because it has worked in the past in this thread. Someone said that all that they put was that the game didn't match the video as the reason for his steam refund and it worked.

But yeah, if they are cracking down on that then maybe it is just safer to put technical issues.

I have had the GOG version for ages and haven't actually downloaded it because of all the reports of problems with the PC version, but I think I'll keep it for now. I'd still like to play it for a while since what was actually delivered still sounds mildly interesting, but not until the game works properly.

Maybesew

My attempt just now:

Alan: Hello, My name is Alan how may I assist you today?
Me: Hello
Me: Sorry for the delay, i stepped away from my desk
Me: I'm writing in because I've had an unusually poor experience with a game that I purchased recently, no mans sky
Alan: Hello Michael
Alan: How can i help you with that ?
Me: I know that there aren't refunds on digital purchases, but I have really been unable to play the game because it crashes often
Alan: Have you tried any troubleshooting steps in order to fix the issue ?
Me: Nothing seems to work, there are lots of discussions on the internet about how poorly the game works
Me: it happens at random times when i am exploring a planet or flying in space
Me: but it has happened a lot
Alan: I'm really sorry for that Michael, in this case what would you like to do with this transaction ?
Me: Can there be a reversal so that I can spend the money on Madden 17
Alan: Let me see what can i do to help you with this Michael.
Alan: I'm really sorry unfortunately According to the PlayStation User Agreement all sales are final. I’m sorry, but due to the restrictions outlined in the PlayStation Terms of Service, a refund exception cannot be made for this transaction. I wish I could provide you another option but we need to follow procedures. also in this case according to our system we can't process the refund because it seems that you got progress on the game, unfortunately once a content was used the refund cannot be process, in this case we can't submit the refund because the department in charge of this will denied the refund.
Alan: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Me: That's really disappointing
Alan: I'm really sorry, I really wish i could make a refund for you, but unfortunately in this case Michael we are not able to provide any refund for this transaction.

ArsGoetia

I contacted PSN a little bit ago also and got a friendly agent, had no issues in getting a refund... playtime was never mentioned at all.. but they did say it was a onetime goodwill gesture thing so not sure if that matters or not.

ironcreed

Banned
Hell, I just told the truth. I said the more I played, the more I saw that it was not what was advertised and it also kept hard locking and blue screening my system. But digital games are treated as opened and used goods, which I find to be quite hilarious. As I can actually open and use a physical item I bought at the store and usually can return it for whatever reason.

Top Bottom