• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I contacted PSN a little bit ago also and got a friendly agent, had no issues in getting a refund... playtime was never mentioned at all.. but they did say it was a onetime goodwill gesture thing so not sure if that matters or not.

Its most likely a canned phrase in order to psychologically steer the consumer into assuming that their only golden ticket has just been used. While am sure that it will sit in your customer profile that you were granted a refund. If in the future there is another legit reason such as performance issues that cause you to be unable to play the game another refund would be possible. Granted more difficult but the whole one time thing isnt legally possible if a proper case is made and presented to the FTC for example in the US.

inky

yers kudos to the brave man who earns his money complaining about games and promotes taking money away from people that actually make games

It's funny because there's only one person taking money away from others here, and it ain't the one asking for a refund.

This might be news to you, but being a "game developer" is not some special status in the world that means they are entitled to everyone else's money because they are so special. It's a business like every other and part of it is being financially punished when you deliver products that aren't up to standard.

Stuart444

for an industry that shafts its customers on the reg, it's extra sad to see everyone jump on a small team of 12 devs while they continue buying up crap from much larger, eviler corporations

Size doesn't matter. Big company, small company. I would think anyone would get pissed when being blatantly lied to.

Just because a company is small, does not absolve them. If anything, we should promote holding companies accountable for shit like this more often. Small, big. Doesn't matter. If you're going to lie and release an unstable product then you should be held accountable for it.

Ripenen

I have a feeling Gabe may actually like the game. For all people's problems its actually a highly innovative game thats rare in being 100% procedurally generated and I think by this point gabe is so rich $60 is 0.00000000001% of his personal wealth so I dont think the "its not worth it" resonates.

What someone in his position doesn't have a lot of is time. Doubt he'd want to waste it on this game when he can spend it playing HL3 prototypes.

collige

Banned
yers kudos to the brave man who earns his money complaining about games and promotes taking money away from people that actually make games

I never understood this whole argument of "taking away money from devs" when it comes to refunds. If customers getting refunds is a significant hit on their income, then the devs were relying on selling to an unhappy customer base. That's not really a very favorable depiction of HG (or any other company for that matter).

for an industry that shafts its customers on the reg, it's extra sad to see everyone jump on a small team of 12 devs while they continue buying up crap from much larger, eviler corporations

Those large evil corporations at least deliver games that are feature complete. Furthermore if EA, Ubisoft, WB, or whoever else pulled this shit I would be asking for my money back as well. They also have things like community managers, forums, support that actually replies, etc... Hello Games has nothing but a big pile of lies.

This outrage has reached boiling point and meanwhile Hello Games head is buried so deep in the sand I'm fairly sure they spotted Sean Murray over in China buying yachts.

redcrayon

Actually he earns his money because people pay for the product Jim said he was going to make, and it actually works no matter how many hours you spend watching it.

Maybesew

Since my PSN agent wasn't giving me a refund, I decided to screw with him.

Me: It's really too bad that this game is so broken and i spent $60 on it and now i can't even play it
Alan: I'm really sorry Michael if you want we can try some troubleshooting steps in order to try and fix the issue or wait for an update by the developer to see if the game can improve.
Me: it seems like there should be a one time exceotion
Alan: I'm really sorry I wish I could make a refund for this game but unfortunately in this case we are not able to provide any refund for this transaction at this time Michael
Alan: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Me: Alan you are not a very helpful agent
Alan: I'm really sorry Michael as I said we need to follow procedures and In this case unfortunately we can't provide you the refund for the reason that the department in charge of this will denied it, also remember that all of our sales are final and at the time to create the account you accepted the terms and conditions and also the clauses on it, besides that is there anything else that I can address you with?
Me: You have made me want to use playstation less and buy an xbox
Me: Can I talk to igor instead, he would give me a refund
Me: Do you know Igor?
Alan: No I'm sorry I don't, tell me, do you have any other request that I could help you with today ?
Me: Yes I do
Alan: Tell me ?
Me: You see, I have this game that I bought on PSN, and when I play it, it crashes all the time. So I can't actually play it, which is why I spent money on it. The more I try and play, the more it crashes. So I would like a refund, so I can buy a game that I can actually play.
Alan: Unfortunately, it appears I am not able to assist you with your request today. I will be disconnecting this chat session. Thanks for contacting PlayStation.
The agent has ended the chat.

flkraven

I thought it was 15 people? Or 5 people?

This line is becoming the '50-Cent was shot 9 times' of the 2016 indie video game scene.

Maximo

Hahahah I love junior responses, dude has a patreon and has no ads on his videos, he aint promoting shit weather you watch it or not doesn't effect him.

Whales

Banned

what a load of shit

maybe if those 12 devs hadn't priced a 30-40$ at most game at 60$, lied to the customers about a shitload of stuff in their game and didnt release a crappy PC port + a ps4 version that crashes every 30mins they wouldn't get jumped on

I have had the GOG version for ages and haven't actually downloaded it because of all the reports of problems with the PC version, but I think I'll keep it for now. I'd still like to play it for a while since what was actually delivered still sounds mildly interesting, but not until the game works properly.

You could always return it now and wait till all reports are that it is fixed if it does get fixed, that way you can ensure you don't get stuck with a broken item and you can spend your $60 elsewhere for the time being.

My attempt just now:

You need to ask for a supervisor the next time. Just keep asking for one and keep trying until you get one. It has definitely worked for me in the past and others in this thread. If the supervisor says no then just rinse and repeat till you find one who doesn't.

Farewell

Got my refund after 18 tries more or less. Played for 6 hours.

Good thing. That money is going for much better games like Deus ex.

Maybe it's time that I get doom? With everyone praising it and all that, but I'm not that big on fps games.

Oh well, at least this is a big middle finger to hello games and misleading PR. They can't get away with it anymore as this proves, so stop lying to your future customers or you will pay for it.

Don't give up guys.

Size doesn't matter. Big company, small company. I would think anyone would get pissed when being blatantly lied to.

it is the blatant part i don't agree with. not everyone hates the game and not everyone had the same expectations for what was going to be in it. personally i played it for 4 hours and thought it was just an ok game that met and exceeded my expectations, which were not all that high. i never thought there would be complex multiplayer because they never once showed even a single avatar.

It's funny because there's only one person taking money away from others here, and it ain't the one asking for a refund.

hello games made a game. whether that game is a lie or whatever you want to say it is (i played it w a friend, it worked fine, never crashed, we had a blast, so don't pretend your experience is everyone's) they made a product. they sold that product.

but people who played this for 50 hours? no, i,m sorry, you have gotten your full value worth. if you had a bad time during those 50 hours, that is your fault. maybe you are an addict.

They seem to have left me no other options. I'll contact my bank and have them deal with it.

I'm getting my $65.03 back from Sean Murray.

I mean, as long as you know the risks,

post-35374-nicolas-cage-fist-bump-gif-Con-8QKy.gif

Mad respect man. Hope you didn't have a lot of games. Man, If I was Sean and seeing this I would feel crushed. I feel bad enough for what you could be losing and I'm not him.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
They seem to have left me no other options. I'll contact my bank and have them deal with it.

Cant wait to see the thread you will be making asking folks how to get your account back from Steam.

As that most def is the route you will be going down without a bullet proof reason for the chargeback.

00ich

a) you'll get into trouble with steam
b) I don't know if Hello Games will get the money deducted from steam

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
hello games made a game. whether that game is a lie or whatever you want to say it is (i played it w a friend, it worked fine, never crashed, we had a blast, so don't pretend your experience is everyone's) they made a product. they sold that product.

but people who played this for 50 hours? no, i,m sorry, you have gotten your full value worth. if you had a bad time during those 50 hours, that is your fault. maybe you are an addict.
Man I hope the next time you are at a restaurant the waiter just walks over to your table half way through your meal climbs onto the table and just shits all over it. It's fine man you already ate half nothing wrong with this scenario you will just eat your shit covered food I mean you payed for it and already finished half of it. It would be stealing at this point to ask for a refund

it is the blatant part i don't agree with. not everyone hates the game and not everyone had the same expectations for what was going to be in it. personally i played it for 4 hours and thought it was just an ok game that met and exceeded my expectations, which were not all that high. i never thought there would be complex multiplayer because they never once showed even a single avatar.

So have you seen the part where they have the simple multiplayer? Because as far as I've heard, it doesn't exist in a complex nor simple version.

Regardless, just because you are satisfied with your low expectations for the title, doesn't mean everyone else has to be. There are going to be far more people who shrug their shoulders and move on than people who seek refunds, but that doesn't mean people who are irritated with being sold a false bill of goods shouldn't be upset, and shouldn't have recourse. This isn't just another "bad game that didn't mean expectations." If the next Assassin's Creed comes out, advertising that it has multiplayer, and then proceeds to not have it, you can expect people to be similarly outraged.

Man I hope the next time you are at a restaurant the waiter just walks over to your table half way through your meal climbs onto the table and just shits all over it. It's fine man you already ate half nothing wrong with this scenario you will just eat your shit covered food I mean you payed for it and already finished half of it. It would be stealing at this point to ask for a refund

Come on. This kind of straw-man argument does no one any good.

inky

And people unsatisfied with that product that had a different experience with it than you did are saying it's not worth the $60 they charged for it, thus, they are asking for their money back, and some storefronts are honoring that request. That has nothing to do with your anecdotal experience.

The customer shouldn't give a shit if the team is 1 person or 500 people when they decide to charge $60 for a game. And just like I don't pretend everyone had a bad experience (I don't even know where you got that from, as I never implied it) you don't pretend that what's worth $60 to you is worth the same to everyone else. And before you go there like others have, obviously they can charge whatever they want for it, I'm not saying indie developers should be limited to a certain price point. The market decides what the game is worth for them, as evidenced here.

Hello Games talked big about their game and decided to charge standard AAA rate for it, for something that, according to several people who are not you, crashes constantly (for them) and isn't what was promised (as evidenced by the information gathered in plenty of places) and the studio hasn't shown a desire to communicate honestly about those things either, so they are turning to a recourse they have to show their dissatisfaction: refunds.

For someone who seems so intent on defending "the little guy" you seem to be forgetting the littlest guy of them all: the customer. And from the evidence gathered and issues posted here like constant crashes and lack of promised features (ignoring what you think about this because, hint: your experience is not their experience) I'm inclined to side with the people asking for refunds. If Hello Games came out and talked big like they did before the game was released, and tried to establish an honest dialogue instead of remaining silent, then one might take into account all the things you say about them, but they haven't, and they promised one thing, delivered another and charged $60 for it. That's where my sympathy for the poor small starving developers stopped.

I would strongly recommend against that unless your account is worth less that $65.03

If the bank denies you, pretend you have a gun and demand the money.

Worst that can happen if they take you as a real threat is just say "just kidding lolz". it'll be totally fine.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Come on. This kind of straw-man argument does no one any good.
Except for its not one, that's exactly what it felt like to me, the game is enjoyable in the first bit then soon as I put a bit of time into the game turned into a nonstop crashing buggy glichy shitfest.

This is why plenty of people are mad at the steam 2 hour responses. If you bought the game day one and spent time on your first planet there is no way in hell the missing stuff and crashes would kick in yet. Hell I spent 20 hours on my first planet at that point I was like fuck yeah let's go do space adventure shit now. Only to be met with almost nothing and copy pasta shit all over which I was like OK let's go deeper expect kinda hard to do when my game was crashing every warp and every other time I opened a menu. So no, screw HG for lying, and screw them for releasing a product that was a broken ass mess

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm playing exactly the game that was advertised to me. The concept which sold me from the start.

Only after playing it do I yearn for more content, none of which was hinted at or shown and then removed.

People bought a game and expected more than was promised and point to different textures and effects as if any of it amounted to a different kind of game they dreamed up in their minds.

Expected more than was promised? I expected players to be able to see each other, exactly as they promised. How is that more?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Just so you're aware, they don't fully detail the penalties your account can face as the result of a chargeback. You'll be unable to make purchases on the account for a lengthy amount of time, as a friend who performed one a year or so ago lost his ability to purchase new games for 6 months. He was also unable to activate gift links, game keys, or use certain Steam Community features. After the restriction was lifted, he needed a new credit card number, as the old one was no longer deemed a valid payment method by Valve.

It's unfortunate that you're getting the runaround, but you are in for a fair few extra headaches if you plan to use Steam as a service in the near future!

mauaus

People claiming this is not fair because of the size of the studio need to stop. They outright lied and got a bunch of sales they wouldnt have had gotten if they would have spoken the truth... If the missing features are planned expansions then they should have mentioned it but charging $60 for a product using misleading advertising and buggy to top it off is pretty rotten. That said, I hope they fix it and gain some customers back as there is some potential there...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People claiming this is not fair because of the size of the studio need to stop. They outright lied and got a bunch of sales they wouldnt have had gotten if they would have spoken the truth... If the missing features are planned expansions then they should have mentioned it but charging $60 for a product using misleading advertising and buggy to top it off is pretty rotten. That said, I hope they fix it and gain some customers back as there is some potential there...

True too, I can see why some people are angry just that is weird that game press is getting very little anger back and that sometimes much bigger corporations get away with really shitty stuff while the number of threads and posts with plenty of very very angry words at HG have made quite a splash here.

mauaus

True too, I can see why some people are angry just that is weird that game press is getting very little anger back and that sometimes much bigger corporations get away with really shitty stuff while the number of threads and posts with plenty of very very angry words at HG have made quite a splash here.

Hype played a great part, this became a high profile release over night and got people excited. The amount of footage of Sean being dishonest or dodgy certainly doesnt help his case. Most of the time when a big publisher/developer has done this the truth comes out before the release, a few weeks even but due to the "random" nature of this game it was exposed when it was too late imho

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Let's not forget the whole day one patch adds in all the real game play stuff missing from early copies. Lol so the early warnings were shut out by that. Also those tweets about not spoiling the game for yourself by watching others LOL

So how does Steam feel about chargebacks?

Tired of getting dicked around by useless support reps who don't give a shit.

I did a chargeback for Dragonball Xenoverse a while back and all that happens is that you can't buy anything from Steam for a good while. I forgot how long, but I think it was a few months.

darthbob

I did a chargeback for Dragonball Xenoverse a while back and all that happens is that you can't buy anything from Steam for a good while. I forgot how long, but I think it was a few months.

Not too bad then.

Cant wait to see the thread you will be making asking folks how to get your account back from Steam.

As that most def is the route you will be going down without a bullet proof reason for the chargeback.

I feel confident that my reasoning for the game not performing well after numerous patches and that I (among others) were misled by advertisements that are still being displayed on the Steam Store page will be "bulletproof" enough for my bank.

I mean, as long as you know the risks,

post-35374-nicolas-cage-fist-bump-gif-Con-8QKy.gif

Mad respect man. Hope you didn't have a lot of games. Man, If I was Sean and seeing this I would feel crushed. I feel bad enough for what you could be losing and I'm not him.

Honestly, I do feel bad for Sean. Guy's probably not a terrible person, just someone who had a big vision and let his mouth run wild.

Just so you're aware, they don't fully detail the penalties your account can face as the result of a chargeback. You'll be unable to make purchases on the account for a lengthy amount of time, as a friend who performed one a year or so ago lost his ability to purchase new games for 6 months. He was also unable to activate gift links, game keys, or use certain Steam Community features. After the restriction was lifted, he needed a new credit card number, as the old one was no longer deemed a valid payment method by Valve.

It's unfortunate that you're getting the runaround, but you are in for a fair few extra headaches if you plan to use Steam as a service in the near future!

Thank you for the tip, I don't make too many purchases on Steam these days but my account has >250 games/licenses so I understand the risk.

It's just unfortunate that as a consumer in the U.S. we have to go to such lengths.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The best thing about the tweet was the fact that he always acted like just about everyone is going to have a pretty unique experience. So how would watching anything spoil the game for you really if what you are going to be doing has a high chance of being pretty different. Because it wasnt. Everything in the game is almost the same shit.

And this sinks it pretty quickly once you hit your second star system

Top Bottom