• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW streamer Reckful has just commited suicide

Rathalos

Banned

At one point he was the biggest World of Warcraft streamer on Twitch, and one of the best arena players in the world. It seems like he has been battling depression for a long time and had a final straw moment today.

As someone who is battling with depression and suicidal thoughts this is just so sad, I can't imagine what it must be like having so much nasty shit sent your way via social media.

Saruhashi

Banned
Oh no.

He didn't just propose to that woman and then kill himself soon after? :(

That's really messed up.

Folks, if you feel yourself spinning out of control please please please get yourself some professional help and reach out to friends etc.

I feel bad that the guy is dead but putting that proposal on someone so publicly and then ending your life is such a terrible thing to do to another person.

Last edited:
Yeah I heard and I'm shocked. I watched him a lot years ago. God damn it...Take care of yourselves people, mental health is not a joke. RIP Byron :(

Saber

Gold Member
Take mental health issues seriously, guys.
Most of the tweets responding to him the last 12 hours where mocking his clearly manic episode. Same thing with etika.

Thats disgusting to hear. Its time to people to be accountable for this type of witch hunting and social justice attitude.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Is there a backstory to this (since everyone is mentioning social media)?

Apparently he proposed to his girlfriend over social media, she probably said no.

His older brother killed himself too year back because of depression, now he did it.

I'm sure his parents are beside themselves.
Afaik depression can be a genetic disease so there are limits to what you can do as a parent or a spouse to help someone with depression.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Banned
Sadly depression is still viewed by many, even by some of those who are lightly affected, as similar as being just sad or lonely. Depression is a severe mental illness which can cause the alteration of perception of things. It's terrible.

At my worst I had my suicide notes and a shit ton of pills ready to go, luckily for me I got help and medication has helped me massively. The amount of people that have told me to "cheer up" is insane, people just don't understand depression at all.

MiguelItUp

It's so incredibly sad. I know Reckful was very open about the demons he was battling. I honestly originally thought he had gotten help, but I assume I was wrong. Ugh.

Reading the Twitter replies to his last few tweets is fucking disgusting. Toxicity was always an issue on the internet, but Jesus, it's gotten so much worse and continues to. Anonymity never helps, but I don't understand how there are physical people in this world acting the way they do. Like, what are you trying to gain? It's fucking disgusting.

I hope he's at peace now. Rest in power Reckful.

Senua

God damn people are brutal

U2QcOW7.png

I may not know him but its sad to hear this outcome. I hope he find peace.

Totally. I feel like this generation is a literal cancer. You have to be careful with everything you say to not trigger people. Its mine camp. Also mental issue is a serious thing, not to be ignored.

i agree but it's mostly not their fault. when i was young i didn't have political agendas thrown in my face from every athlete and celebrity i loved. plus they don't have the maturity at that age to understand politics or the other shit we are seeing today in the world. honestly it's just a sad time we are in right now. this is where parenting comes in. parents should restrict social media or advise them to be doubtful of everything they hear. never believe anything at face value and do research. the young generation isn't in a position to understand this on their own.

carlosrox

Banned
His older brother killed himself too year back because of depression, now he did it.

I'm sure his parents are beside themselves.

Ugh this is fucking depressing..

Never heard of him before but this sucks, even more so if people were giving him shit online.

I've dealt with depression almost my whole life and sometimes things get really rough. The older I get the more likely I feel I might not make it. Life can just be so sad sometimes. Couple that with the earnest feeling of not wanting to live through losing the people I love and sometimes I feel it would be better to just be the loss and have others know I'd do it coming from a peaceful mindset. I'm serious, I'm not good with loss and death and I'm worried about the spiral I'd go into if I lost someone really important to me. It's not something I even like to think about cuz the wrong thought can set off my depression.

I don't think I'd ever go through with it as it could fuck up others' lives, but I really don't wanna face losing people. It's constant anxiety in the back of my head all the time. Fuck death.

I'm generally the type of person who's in high spirits, but there's that side to me that gets fucked up with sad thoughts.

Last edited:

Pizdetz

Banned
Depression and anxiety are the worst.
They make you live an illusion, and a very scary/sad one at that.
Animal crossing is basically an anti-depression game, no wonder it has such a huge fan following.
Getting a therapist or help isn't always easy, but your first line of defense is books. There are a lot of good ones.
Depression and anxiety doesn't have a one shot silver bullet cure, and the SSRIs they give you are a hit or miss.
The best approach is multi-faceted: relaxation, physical exercise, CBT, meditation, and sustaining it for months.
What a shame, looked like a very sweet guy.

Endokin

Neo Member
This is awful, I pray he finds his peace now. More often than not someone with depression can be already at their limit but not show any signs of anything wrong. My ex / daughters mom left the world 4 months ago, 1 week after her daughters bday. I hope that this can be a reminder for everyone to be a little more nicer when interacting online, and offer more support to their loved ones / friends, etc. I rarely speak up on here, and I realize its somewhat pointless to espouse being nicer to each other online, its sadly not like its the first streamer / internet celebrity to do this, but my empathy weighs even more now when I hear about these situations.

That's horrible news. It's a horrendous time to be going through mental issues. Everyone is isolated, left to themselves and their own thoughts. Take care of yourselves. If you're going thru some shit, get help and talk to someone.

Paasei

R.I.P. Reckful. Shame to lose a WoW player that was as skilled as him. Didn't even know about all his endeavours and so on outside of WoW when he quit/was banned.
Always fucked up when someone that young is so far gone in his depression, unhappiness or other mental state(s), that they truly believe this is the solution. His poor family and friends :'(

DeaDPo0L84

Terrible situation, wish he could have gotten help.

I don't know the exact specifics but this is why people need to be real careful with their words on the internet. Words are powerful, attacking someone online regardless of the discussion could be just the push someone needs to pull the trigger.

Arozay

He had been struggling with his bipolar disorder for a while, things were looking hopeful recently as he was getting help and was wrapping up his game. Manic episodes don't fuck around.

One of the original personality streamers and did a lot to popularise it over the last decade. RIP,

DogofWar

My condolences to him and his close ones.
Don't give the edgy twats on his twitter feed any more attention. It is obviously what they are desperately trying to get.

Top Bottom