• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WP: "The Internet mobs have won." Zoe Quinn drops legal fight against Eron Gjoni

Not sure if posted yet, but The Washington Post has published a new article with the latest development in Quinn's criminal harassment case she brought against Eron Gjoni. Gjoni is the ex who authored the screed that led to the terrible stain on society that is Gamer Gate. Gjoni was going to be arraigned on criminal harassment charges on Feb. 24, but Quinn decided the legal case would probably only make things worse. It's pretty sad stuff, but at least it looks like her work with Twitter, Google and Crash Override probably will do more to curb online harassment, so all hope is not lost. The Post also has a new video interview with her.

www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-int...t-mobs-vs-the-law-the-internet-mobs-have-won/

The basic gist of the story is that the legal system has completely failed those like Quinn when it comes to online harassment and that law enforcement, sadly, doesn't give two fucks about victims like her.

“What we’re seeing now is the law’s limits,” Citron said. “Mobs have little fear of the law, and unfortunately, Zoe is the victim of that.”

“Is there any way to back out?” Quinn emailed assistant District Attorney Mary Nguyen on Jan. 15. “He did another post yesterday and now stuff like this is popping up. . . . ”

She attached a screenshot from the Reddit topic thread “GGFreeForAll”: “If Eron goes to jail,” the post reads, “I will hunt Zoe Quinn down and rape her.”

On Feb. 10, Quinn officially decided not to pursue criminal harassment charges against Gjoni, concluding that the abuse was more likely to stop if she didn’t fight it in court.

“It’s exhausting, and the whole point of this is to try to reclaim my humanity and stop having to be a ‘good victim’ for the court system,” Quinn said. “So I decided to be an absolutely terrible victim by speaking up” about the legal process.

There is one party that hasn’t tired of that process, however — and that is Gamergate. Gjoni is still challenging Quinn’s initial restraining order, which she voluntarily vacated last August, in an attempt to establish new legal precedent around the use of restraining orders against online incitement or harassment. He has already raised $29,000 from his supporters, and persuaded constitutional scholars like Eugene Volokh to file amicus briefs on the case.

“It’s an outrageous violation of the First Amendment,” said Volokh, whose legal blog, The Volokh Conspiracy, is published on The Post’s website. “Fifty years ago, in Brandenburg v. Ohio, we asked if speech that encourages crime could be punished. The Supreme Court said no. There is no legal remedy for [Quinn], because that’s how the First Amendment works.”

Asked if perhaps the world had changed since 1969, when Brandenburg was tried, Volokh acknowledged that while the world may have changed, the Supreme Court “has not been inclined.” Quinn, for one, will not be a test case.

“It doesn’t feel like a battle worth fighting,” she said.

There's a lot of good stuff in the article, and it's worth a read. She's basically still fighting against online harassment, but has concluded the legal system won't help her.

Quinn herself had been forced, on multiple occasions, to explain “Twitter” and “doxing” and “online mobs” to judges and officers unfamiliar with any of those concepts. Despite new cyberstalking and harassment legislation in many states and growing public awareness of these problems, the legal system remains unwilling, or unable, to resolve all but the most straightforward of them...In late September 2014, a judge granted her a year-long restraining order, which — as Gjoni points out — has a lower evidentiary standard than is typically required in other sorts of civil cases. Much of it was boilerplate, barring Gjoni from contacting Quinn or walking within 150 yards of her. But the judge, apparently perplexed by the subject of the “online mob” — court transcripts show that, at one point, he asked Quinn what exactly that was — also wrote in a special clause, prohibiting Gjoni from publishing further information about her.

Banned
Fucking shameful. This gamer gate shit is so embarrassing. Who actually threatens to hunt down and rape a girl and gets away with it?

Nanashrew

Banned
Quinn herself had been forced, on multiple occasions, to explain “Twitter” and “doxing” and “online mobs” to judges and officers unfamiliar with any of those concepts.

It's absolutely the worst that they do not understand this concept though we're living in the 21st century where everything is connected to the internet. Where people are spending at the very least a good portion of their lives every day from their phones to computers on social media sites, keeping track of friends, family, co-workers, teachers, and other acquaintances.

GorillaJu

"If Eron goes to jail I will hunt her down and rape her" who actually says shit like this? Must be terrible trying to live with constant threats like that even if you know they're some kid whose too lazy to take a piss in the toilet never mind go rape someone.

It's absolutely the worst that they do not understand this concept though we're living in the 21st century where everything is connected to the internet. Where people are spending most of their lives every day from their phones to computers.
You'd be surprised by how unfamiliar most people are with social media in general, especially the 40+ generation.

what all did that guy do to her? the only thing i remember was he wrote that first blog alleging that she slept with a kotaku guy or something, and thats what led to all the gg shit.

It's absolutely the worst that they do not understand this concept though we're living in the 21st century where everything is connected to the internet. Where people are spending most of their lives every day from their phones to computers.

That seems like a pretty large problem right there. I haven't followed GG so please don't fault me for that but people don't need to live their lives on the internet.

Mechazawa

That seems like a pretty large problem right there. I haven't followed GG so please don't fault me for that but people don't need to live their lives on the internet.

Yes, they do, when how you make your money and a significant chunk of your friends are built up through the internet.

Nanashrew

Banned
You'd be surprised by how unfamiliar most people are with social media in general, especially the 40+ generation.

It's shameful. They should, they need to be better briefed on these things. One reason my grandma knows about parts of the internet is because she worked in computers and telecommunication and she just turned 70.

I'd figure some law, places where the internet and computers would regularly be important they'd know at least a little bit. There's also politicians on Twitter who face some mobs and yet never seems to come up.

duckroll

It might come as a surprise to people who grew up on Reddit/4chan/whatever but this is absolutely not a large part of MOST people's lives. It's not even just about "old people" or whatever. I can assure you that none of the people I know in real life would know what "doxing" is without it being explained, and while many of them have a casual understanding of Twitter or have an account themselves, they would not have a clear understanding of the idea of an organized group operating on the platform to harass and bully 24/7. I'm talking about people in their 20s and 30s.

The group of people who spend tons of their free time online and know all about the dynamics of drama and how things "work" on the internet are in fact a small group of dedicated users who have that interest. It is not representative of the world at large. Just like how even as gaming has gone totally mainstream, the perspective the average person on the street has of gaming, what they want out of it, and the elements they're interested in being informed about, are very different from the "common knowledge" we share here.

Nanashrew

Banned

That's rather difficult. Internet is now integrated into society and everyone is online at nearly all times of the day. As for a business, especially an indie where's it's 1 to few people, online is a large part of your life and where you might hangout and talk with friends and your place of business to sell your product.

It might come as a surprise to people who grew up on Reddit/4chan/whatever but this is absolutely not a large part of MOST people's lives. It's not even just about "old people" or whatever. I can assure you that none of the people I know in real life would know what "doxing" is without it being explained, and while many of them have a casual understanding of Twitter or have an account themselves, they would not have a clear understanding of the idea of an organized group operating on the platform to harass and bully 24/7. I'm talking about people in their 20s and 30s.

The group of people who spend tons of their free time online and know all about the dynamics of drama and how things "work" on the internet are in fact a small group of dedicated users who have that interest. It is not representative of the world at large. Just like how even as gaming has gone totally mainstream, the perspective the average person on the street has of gaming, what they want out of it, and the elements they're interested in being informed about, are very different from the "common knowledge" we share here.

I dunno, it just feels much bigger. I might be wrong then on a lot of aspects, but I always see people somewhere online.

Khezu

I was actually just wondering about that dude the other day, was curious to know how he felt about kickstarting GG.

Like if he was just venting after a bad breakup and regretted his part in this, or if it was his intention to drag her through the mud, and got everything he hoped for and more.

It's been so long I don't really remember the tone of the original blog post or w/e it was.

Why is Eron Gjoni associated with GamerGate ? Didn't he just revealed a story that should have been kept private ? I don't recall any sign of sexism or rape glorification in his WordPress.

But maybe I missed something ?

I make a living off of the internet as a software engineer but I live my life away from the internet. the outdoors is fucking beautiful. it's really not that hard to make friends without Facebook and Twitter. These issuea seem leas like a gaming culture problem and more like a I cant live without social media problem. I'm not making excuses for harassing someone online much less threatening rape so don't misunderstand. I'm sick of this being tied to gamer culture as a whole instead of just losers who can't get off of Facebook and Twitter. I'm guessing those who live outside of the internet aren't involved with this crap.

Quinn herself had been forced, on multiple occasions, to explain “Twitter” and “doxing” and “online mobs” to judges and officers unfamiliar with any of those concepts.

Maybe because none of that matters?

It's not "twitter" and it's not "online mobs". Both those things are virtual names that serve no practical purpose and that people won't understand because they make NO sense.

This is a problem of individuals sending various forms of threats through anonymous channels online.

What's hard to understand about that? Why the law cannot do something about that?

There's absolutely nothing that makes these matters "special" because they are "on the internet". You can send anonymous threats even without the internet. The law is supposed to do something about that.

Lutherian

“Fifty years ago, in Brandenburg v. Ohio, we asked if speech that encourages crime could be punished. The Supreme Court said no. There is no legal remedy for [Quinn], because that’s how the First Amendment works.”

Well, try to tell that to the people who died in Rwanda. This man's disgusting.

I can only hope that the internet and social media become so entrenched into everyday life for such a time that stuff like this becomes a distant memory and future generations never have to deal with it.

inner-G

Banned
I don't agree with any of the people, but I think that it's important to protect free speech and fight censorship in all forms, everywhere, all the time. Once you lose it, you never get that ground back.

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion, but they're right that saying "I'm going to rape that bitch" is not a crime. Nor should it be. If it were, imagine how many people would have been arrested by now for posting hateful things about politicians on Facebook. Now, obviously this isn't a nice thing to do, and if you actually send threats to her personally somehow, you should be charged with harassment.

But going on reddit and reading through a subgroup dedicated to people who disagree with you, and being shocked to see threatening messages or language, is a bit over the top, in my opinion.
They were killed by words?? I'm pretty sure they were killed by actual physical people wielding guns. Now you could try and argue that, had hate speech been illegal it would never have come to that, but suppressing people's opinion and forcing them to keep it to themselves is rarely helpful in that way.

I know this is not going to be a popular opinion, but they're right that saying "I'm going to rape that bitch" is not a crime. Nor should it be. If it were, imagine how many people would have been arrested by now for posting hateful things about politicians on Facebook. Now, obviously this isn't a nice thing to do, and if you actually send threats to her personally somehow, you should be charged with harassment.

But going on reddit and reading through a subgroup dedicated to people who disagree with you, and being shocked to see threatening messages or language is a bit over the top, in my opinion.

Hateful things and THREATS are very different things.

I really don't see why threats cannot be fined. Speaking badly of someone is absolutely fine, those are ideas. Threats are just not acceptable instead.

Why is Eron Gjoni associated with GamerGate ? Didn't he just revealed a story that should have been kept private ? I don't recall any sign of sexism or rape glorification in his WordPress.

But maybe I missed something ?

he posted a seven-part chronicle of their relationship, complete with annotated chat logs and lurid sexual details, and promoted the links in a series of forums known for their antipathy toward female and progressive game developers. He would later tweet that he suspected “The Zoepost” would provoke harassment but that he chose to publish anyway.

As predicted, the forums quickly latched onto the post — particularly Gjoni’s allegation that Quinn had slept with a writer at a prominent gaming website, presumably to score a good review. Within days, the uproar over “ethics in gaming journalism” had grown from forum chatter to full-blown abuse. Gjoni publicly condemned it, while simultaneously blogging and tweeting that he believed the hell visited on Quinn was deserved. Reached by phone, Gjoni told The Washington Post that, looking back on everything that has happened since, he would still choose to publish “The Zoepost,” minus a joke about Five Guys that morphed into a slut-shaming meme.

Dude is a douchebag and his "allegation" has been debunked several times over and to hell and back.

Hateful things and THREATS are very different things.

I really don't see why threats cannot be fined. Speaking badly of someone is absolutely fine, those are ideas. Threats are just not acceptable instead.
The difference to me will always be between someone posting threats on reddit, and someone sending them to her personally. Again, thousands would be in prison for making threats against the president if the laws you propose existed.

stilgar

But going on reddit and reading through a subgroup dedicated to people who disagree with you, and being shocked to see threatening messages or language, is a bit over the top, in my opinion.

They were killed by words?? I'm pretty sure they were killed by actual physical people wielding guns. Now you could try and argue that, had hate speech been illegal it would never have come to that, but suppressing people's opinion and forcing them to keep it to themselves is rarely helpful in that way.

Oh but it is. I mean legally, in a lot of countries, it is a crime to threaten somebody to rape her/him. And seriously, even though I'm pretty extreme when it comes to free speech, rightfully so.

JoseLopez

What? Are you being serious?

I don't see the connection you're making. He is simply pointing out that speech which encourages criminal activity is not an exception to the first amendment's freedom of speech clause.

There is an exception for "hate speech", otherwise known as speech which encourages imminent violence with an emphasis on imminent.

I don't agree with any of the people, but I think that it's important to protect free speech and fight censorship in all forms, everywhere, all the time. Once you lose it, you never get that ground back.

There is no such right as you define it of free speech. At least not to that degree of your definition. There are areas of speech in which the right does not apply, at least not wholly.

KZObsessed

What in the holy fuck.

drotahorror

I don't know a ton about this case but honestly it's kind of ridiculous that on twitter you can get away with death threats and other threats of violence with no repercussions. If it was on facebook they'd be locked up.

See Justin Carter - http://kotaku.com/jailed-league-of-legends-player-it-s-been-blown-out-o-754179072

^Made a facebook threat, went to jail (prison?) for several months, was harassed and assaulted and had to be put in a cell away from other prisoners. I'm not saying he got the treatment he deserves but I bet he'll never make another comment like that again on the internet. He finally got bail when an anonymous person bailed him out for $500k. He's still fighting the case right now.

Why do these other people that make constant threats against others on the net have immunity?

Oh but it is. I mean legally, in a lot of countries, it is a crime to threaten somebody to rape her/him. And seriously, even though I'm pretty extreme when it comes to free speech, rightfully so.
It's illegal in my country too. I don't necessarily think it should be though. Regardless, it doesn't seem to be illegal in the US, which is what is relevant.
What? Are you being serious?
Why else would I post it?
I don't know a ton about this case but honestly it's kind of ridiculous that on twitter you can get away with death threats and other threats of violence with no repercussions. If it was on facebook they'd be locked up.

See Justin Carter - http://kotaku.com/jailed-league-of-legends-player-it-s-been-blown-out-o-754179072

^Made a facebook threat, went to jail (prison?) for several months, was harassed and assaulted and had to be put in a cell away from other prisoners. I'm not saying he got the treatment he deserves but I bet he'll never make another comment like that again on the internet.

Why do these other people that make constant threats against others on the net have immunity?
Wait, this makes it look like it IS illegal in the US?

More importantly, you really think this is a good example of why we should have this law?

The difference to me will always be between someone posting threats on reddit, and someone sending them to her personally. Again, thousands would be in prison for making threats against the president if the laws you propose existed.

Thousands should be fined. That's it. Do something stupid, pay fines.

In any cases, threats are being sent to her personally, so what's exactly the problem here? Why there's this push to make constant clamour about these things?

There's nothing extraordinary or special with Twitter. Stop making it something exceptional that is hard to explain.

For those who havnt checked, GGFreeForAll is a troll subreddit for the gamergate subreddits, League of Legends, Soccer, TwoXChromosome ect. all have one also.

That's rather difficult. Internet is now integrated into society and everyone is online at nearly all times of the day. As for a business, especially an indie where's it's 1 to few people, online is a large part of your life and where you might hangout and talk with friends and your place of business to sell your product.

I dunno, my job is completely reliant on the internet but I don't spend all my free time online. I don't understand how people feel that facebook and twitter is some constitutionally protected right or that they can't survive without it. It might be healthy for those who can't go an hour without checking Facebook to take a nice long break and discover life without telling everyone on social media how they feel or what they're doing. It can't be healthy mentally to be so dependent on likes and retweets for happiness and fulfillment. If your livelihood is causing you so much grief it may be time to think about changing things up. life is to short to be miserable.

Dude is a douchebag and his "allegation" has been debunked several times over and to hell and back.

The dude was fucking devastated. People kill other people everyday over relationship stories like that, so of course he's going to wish she's never going to be happy again. I agree that it's dumb to say such things and to want hell on someone, but it's understandable in these type of cases.
He's still not responsible for Gamer Gate and all the horrible things that happened to Quinn, in my honest opinion.

Edit : After checking some articles, yeah it's even more dumb that most of it was a lie.

orochi91

I'm not sure if this is remotely true for the average person.

In fact, this reads like you're projecting your own Internet habits on to the populace, lol

"I will fucking rape this cunt"
"I will fucking rape the president'
"I will find you and fucking rape you, kill you and burn your body"
"I hope this cunt gets raped by a pack of niggers"

Just how would the gears society continue to turn if such important opinions and ideas were suppressed.

inner-G

Banned
There is no such right as you define it of free speech. At least not to that degree of your definition. There are areas of speech in which the right does not apply, at least not wholly.
I'm not talking literally about gamers gate or the wording of the constitution. Just the concept of free expression.

Look at effects of censorship in other media; you can't get an unedited Blu-Ray of the original Fantasia because it had scenes that are now seen as racially offensive. Should they sell an edited version? Sure. But original works shouldn't be censored and people should stand up for our rights to expression.

Directly harassing a person is something different altogether.

23qwerty

The dude was fucking devastated. People kill other people everyday over relationship stories like that, so of course he's going to wish she's never going to be happy again. I agree that it's dumb to say such things and to want hell on someone, but it's understandable in these type of cases.
He's still not responsible for Gamer Gate and all the horrible things that happened to Quinn, in my honest opinion.

No it isn't what the fuck

For those who havnt checked, GGFreeForAll is a troll subreddit for the gamergate subreddits, League of Legends, Soccer, TwoXChromosome ect. all have one also.

For anyone who doesn't actively keep up with Zoe Quinn's situation, she still receives numerous hate tweets, hate emails and death threats on a daily basis. She's had to move numerous times since this started and people keep learning her location and sharing it online to produce more death threats.

At this point, she doesn't have any reason to try to distinguish legitimate GG subreddits from troll subreddits. It already takes up such an inordinate amount of her time just trying to live each day.

Nanashrew

Banned

^Made a facebook threat, went to jail (prison?) for several months, was harassed and assaulted and had to be put in a cell away from other prisoners. I'm not saying he got the treatment he deserves but I bet he'll never make another comment like that again on the internet.

Police in my area have gotten sick of things so now if you even make a joke online about shooting up a school or any place, you're going to jail.

But it's not over the top to make rape threats? Oh boy.

Suspect you may have to log out of your gaf account soon to read replies to your post.

Thousands should be fined. That's it. Do something stupid, pay fines.

In any cases, threats are being sent to her personally, so what's exactly the problem here? Why there's this push to make constant clamour about these things?

There's nothing extraordinary or special with Twitter. Stop making it something exceptional that is hard to explain.
"do something stupid, pay fines", really? I always though it was "deliberately(or through willfully neglect) cause someone harm, pay fines". I wasn't aware I had to pay a fine everytime I forget my bag or something. Huh.

Anyway, the people actually sending her threats directly should be punished, but the example in the article is about someone posting on reddit.
But it's not over the top to make rape threats? Oh boy.

Suspect you may have to log out of your gaf account soon to read replies to your post.
Please don't try to make it look like I said things I didn't. All I said was that it shouldn't be punishable to make rape threats in a thread on reddit,unless maybe if you did it KNOWING the person you directed then at would at some point read it.

I'm out. I'm glad we could talk about this without resorting to strawman arguments you guys...

Top Bottom