• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WP: "The Internet mobs have won." Zoe Quinn drops legal fight against Eron Gjoni

aeolist

Banned
the vast majority of "i haven't been following this closely but..." posts i've seen in these threads came from accounts that turned out to be completely disingenuous and usually got banned after posting breitbart links

This is really disrespectful. He wasn't telling you his opinion on facts or taking a side. You're just lashing out at the wrong person imo.

I see why this happens. It is an often heated controversy. But I think he isn't posting anything that should get him attacked like this.

Well, I happen to disagree. I also happen to think that admitting to not know a thing about what's being discussed and yet having the balls of appealing to moderation is much more disrespectful, even if he didn't use the word "fuck" in his post. Perhaps you missed that someone did the exact same thing not two pages ago and I was much more civil with him: repeating the exact same shit that the guy we just told was derailing the discussion was, frankly, not cool.

Not like you're not doing the exact same, of course. The last three pages have been 80% people like you and him patting themselves in the back for being the forces of reason and, yes, moderation in an issue they clearly don't understand or have the slightest investment in.

Also, I'm dying to know what the "controversy" is here, or in other words, what opposing stances there are where one of them doesn't involve immediately obvious morally bankrupt shit like "it's ok to send rape and death threats". Please illustrate me?

But, well, perhaps you're right. Perhaps I should have assumed the best out of cocopuff. Perhaps he's an "objective bystander" as he claims, just misinformed and new to all of this, and we should cut him some sl-

ehhhh maybe he really shouldn't be taking a stance on something as specific as this. seems weird to have the pm reference gamer gate.

This is my problem with most of the people in this so-called "anti-#GamerGate crowd". Attacking a person's political beliefs (Baldwin apparently being rightwing), smearing a group by claiming they're all misogynistic minority haters and dismissing them as a bunch of people who hate women (as said by someone in this thread) is frankly dumb. Come on guys, yes sure without a doubt there are people like that (as is evident by the horrific threats that some people are getting) but there are other level-headed people who simply want a discussion on journalism. It's not all "burn the feminists".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

I'm just learning about the whole #GG movement and controversy but if you disagree with their ideas and motives (which for the most part from what I gather, are just people for ethical discourse in journalism and against bias in gaming news sites among other things), try arguing against their ideas rather than smearing #GG supporters as all filthy misogynists.

Granted I'm pretty ambivalent to the whole movement on both sides but there do appear to be level headed people in the #GG movement (Adam Baldwin for one) who I'm sure don't ascribe to the whole "burn the feminists" or agree with sending death threats. Don't persecute the many for a few idiots.

Dipper145

You don't get to ask for moderation in a holocaust denialists vs sane people debate, you don't get to do it in a terrorism apologists vs sane people debate, and you don't fucking get to do it here.

I sincerely don't believe these subjects are equatable to what is going on here, and find it disgusting that a person would even suggest as much. The genocide of the holocaust should not be compared to the harassment of an individual.

While this specific instance is obviously an extreme version of online harassment, it's difficult to find an appropriate line where it becomes prosecute-able on an individual basis through the legal system. I am interested to see what happens re the challenge of the restraining order that attempted to set legal precedent for a use against online harassment.

I sincerely don't believe these subjects are equatable to what is going on here, and find it disgusting that a person would even suggest as much. The genocide of the holocaust should not be compared to the harassment of an individual.

I compared sending rape and murder threats to holocaust denialists and terrorism apologists. Please don't play dumb and twist my words into something you can feign disgust about.

This is really disrespectful. He wasn't telling you his opinion on facts or taking a side. You're just lashing out at the wrong person imo.

I see why this happens. It is an often heated controversy. But I think he isn't posting anything that should get him attacked like this.

(Severe content warning, transphobia)

http://www.gamersagainstgamergate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/trans_hotline.jpeg

This is part of why lecturing people produces no patience from some people. GamerGate is a violent hate group, we don't need people who aren't informed trying to tell us how it is about this group.

This is my nuclear option when I am weary of a "not all GG" discussion. Perhaps not all GG is a part of this violence, but this violence goes hand-in-hand with GG.

Koppai

(Severe content warning, transphobia)

http://www.gamersagainstgamergate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/trans_hotline.jpeg

This is part of why lecturing people produces no patience from some people. GamerGate is a violent hate group, we don't need people who aren't informed trying to tell us how it is about this group.

This is my nuclear option when I am weary of a "not all GG" discussion. Perhaps not all GG is a part of this violence, but this violence goes hand-in-hand with GG.

What the fuck!??? These people need to.be thrown away. So fucking awful :(

Hahaha, yup. Every single time.
To be fair, it goes to show how much longevity there is in being a low profile apologist claiming month after month a complete lack of knowledge.

Textbook example of the "I don't know much about this ethics issue but let me tone police you guys and manufacture a middle ground where Adam Baldwin is a reasonable voice".

In that regard, posts like the one everyone has apparently bookmarked are really useful, as they answer the genuine "I haven't followed this debacle" questions.

Stumbled upon something on Cracked from a few days ago, thought it was distilled enough to deserve a mention.

508506_v1.jpg

Well, I happen to disagree. I also happen to think that admitting to not know a thing about what's being discussed and yet having the balls of appealing to moderation is much more disrespectful, even if he didn't use the word "fuck" in his post. Perhaps you missed that someone did the exact same thing not two pages ago and I was much more civil with him: repeating the exact same shit that the guy we just told was derailing the discussion was, frankly, not cool.

Not like you're not doing the exact same, of course. The last three pages have been 80% people like you and him patting themselves in the back for being the forces of reason and, yes, moderation in an issue they clearly don't understand or have the slightest investment in.

Also, I'm dying to know what the "controversy" is here, or in other words, what opposing stances there are where one of them doesn't involve immediately obvious morally bankrupt shit like "it's ok to send rape and death threats". Please illustrate me?

But, well, perhaps you're right. Perhaps I should have assumed the best out of cocopuff. Perhaps he's an "objective bystander" as he claims, just misinformed and new to all of this, and we should cut him some sl-

Every time.

Top Bottom