• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestlemania 36 -Covid 19 Edition |OT|

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
6sc0DbQ.jpg

WrestleMania is upon us!

You can sign up and get a free month with WWE Network. Otherwise you can order with Fox Sports for $59.99 (don't be stupid)

We're in a weird time and so the matches will be held without a crowd and this gives a chance for some TV trickery.

Sat:
Kevin Owens vs Seth Rollins
Kabuki Warriors vs Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross: Women's Tag Team Championsip
King Corbin vs Elias
Shayna Bazler vs Becky Lynch: Women's Raw Championship
AJ Styles vs Undertaker
Goldberg vs Braun Strowman: Men's Universal Championship
Kofi Kingston vs John Morrison, vs One of the Usos (It's Jimmy) The Miz is out with possibly COVID-19 so they decided to do this. Triple threat ladder match for the Smackdown Tag Team Championship.
Sammi Zayn vs Daniel Bryan: Intercontinental Championship

*Card subject to change* (I'm filling this out as I figure out what it's going to be for Sat)

Sun:
Brock Lesnar vs Drew McIntyre: WWE World Championship
Rhea Ripley vs Charlotte Flair: NXT Women's Championship
Street Profits vs Austin Theory & Angel Garza: Raw Tag Team Championship
Edge vs Randy Orton: Last man standing
Otis vs Dolph Ziggler
Aleister Black vs Bobby Lashley
Bayley vs Tamina vs Sasha Banks vs Naomi vs Lacey Evans: Smackdown Women's Championship
John Cena vs The Fiend (Bray Wyatt): Firefly Funhouse Match

Last edited:

Dthomp

God even during the apocalyps, the constant unnecessary camera cuts are still here when you could spend most of the match from the hard cam

Dthomp

This is really weird to watch.

I think tag matches might be the worst match for empty arenas, ref looks twice as dumb. Rough finish to a weird match. Not feeling this for a mania. At least we got weird Nikki cross undressing because...reasons?

JBL adds nothing on commentary. They needed somebody who knows and lives the product to help sell these matches.

Dthomp

Showcase of the Immortals...stares at Elias and Corbin in the ring...something is not adding up at this Smackdownamania

GV82

Should have cancelled it or had some more wrestlers/staff on the side watching it at least filling up the front row to give some atmosphere, then taking turns, the wrestlers due for their next match going backstage from the crowd approx 15-20 mins before a match. Maybe 15-20 mins after a bout rest too.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Yup, just a few people in the crowd the wat AEW has done can at least make a little bit of a difference. That and the announcing is so stale first two matches, they don’t have anybody to hype the match. I would have tried to get Mauro to do this show for his intensity.

that Corbin match went twice as long as it needed to

Dthomp

Lol that ending is bad without a crowd. No idea why they didn’t close out night one with this?

Max_Po

Banned
with MMA/UFC hitting mainstream ... these clowns calling themselves "wrestlers" is a fucking disgrace.

I would not recommend "WWE Women's wrestling matches" to any of my blind friends who had their non working eye surgically removed.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
That was a good match. Definitely going to be some welts after that one.

Oooh! Time for the ladder match.

AFAIK the MIZ has COVID and they had to completely change this one. Looking forward to it!

Dthomp

I gotta say, watching tonight has made me realize just how bad the wwe performers are without an audience to carry a lot of these matches. You spend years focusing on being sports entertainers and you forget how to be an in ring storyteller.

Braun will get a nothing reign that goes to Roman the minute wrestling returns, and every other feud that should be endong tonight will be continued three or four months from now.
should have cancelled/delayed this, it’s bad

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
That Taker/Styles "match" was a lot of fun. I didn't expect much from it, but it ended up being my favorite thing on night 1 just because of different it felt. Very Lucha Underground.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
That Taker/Styles "match" was a lot of fun. I didn't expect much from it, but it ended up being my favorite thing on night 1 just because of different it felt. Very Lucha Underground.
Definitely different. Makes me excited for what they have in store for Cena vs Fiend. It was cheesy in all the right ways and I was giggling my ass off.

Banned
I didn't expect to ever see American Badass Undertake ever again, but I'm all in!

honestly, this version of him was needed to come back, he
has become stale and simply a prop.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
That may have been the dumbest and cheesiest main event I have ever seen and I loved every second of it!

God I still have a grin on my face!

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Wrestling without crowds is just to hard for me to get into. It just comes off even faker then before.

Get your fill now because its probably going to be a while before we see wrestling again. Even AEW will probably have to go cold because I don't think they can continue having talent fly around to film once a week.

Dthomp

Wrestling without crowds is just to hard for me to get into. It just comes off even faker then before.

Get your fill now because its probably going to be a while before we see wrestling again. Even AEW will probably have to go cold because I don't think they can continue having talent fly around to film once a week.

I think AEW is shut down now since they were filming in Georgia or Florida through the next few weeks but were shut down after these tapings. More the reason WM should have been delayed cause we are going to have a couple months of nothing now

cryptoadam

Banned
I think AEW is shut down now since they were filming in Georgia or Florida through the next few weeks but were shut down after these tapings. More the reason WM should have been delayed cause we are going to have a couple months of nothing now

I wasn't sure if AEW had taped some stuff or not, but I figured they were either shut down or will be.

I think wretsling is going to have a very hard time. Well any sport or entertainment really. Its going to be a while before we will feel comfortable having 10-20K people sitting shoulder to shoulder with each other.

Started watching wrestling when I was a little kid up until middle school in the early-mid 00's(Ruthless aggression era). Stopped after 2007. I noticed it was becoming less "edgy". Not the entertainment I was use to watching and wanted.

I started watching WWE clips on YouTube from the last 5 years last year. The audience is asleep. Also they went for the most part family friendly. Then I went on reading that they banned some finishers like pile drivers.

No interest regained.

Last edited:
Top Bottom