• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Analysts now predict an NX announcement by early October

maxcriden

Update tweet by author:

To clarify: Analysts expect NX unveiling by TGS next week, and if it would't be the case, there should be some updates by early October.
https://mobile.twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/773875208914513921

-

WSJ: Nintendo Aims to Rescue Profits With Mario’s Jump to Smartphones

The challenge now for Nintendo is leveraging all the attention into sales of the next-generation NX console, which it has said will go on sale by March 2017. The company hasn’t given any details on the NX, but people familiar with the matter say it is likely to be designed for use both as a living-room console hooked up to a television and as a portable device to carry around town. Analysts said they expected Nintendo to release NX details by early October.

Analysts said it would be difficult for Nintendo to take back market share because Sony and Microsoft Corp. tend to lock game players into their own systems by offering network-based services such as downloads of new games. Nintendo is trying something similar with an online community called My Nintendo.

It will remain to be seen if these analysts have inside information they are basing this on. It seems sometimes they are right on the money, other times not so much, when it comes to predicting things like this. At the least, it takes the edge off expectations for a September reveal, which it appears are partly based on the Eurogamer leak. However, given WSJ and other reputable sources have corroborated EG leak (already a reputable source itself), I wouldn't take a lack of September reveal, if there isn't one, as any proof the leak is not valid, but rather would expect it means the date just changed, as it has already.

The article also discusses spillover effect from Pokémon Go on software sales:

OJ-AO884_NINTEN_16U_20160908051806.jpg

Credit to ggx2ac for the link!

Additionally per our own Rösti, Nintendo has an October 26/27 Nintendo's Second Quarter Earnings Release/Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing, at which he expects Nintendo must be bound to say something (I'm presuming he means, if they haven't already, but please correct me if I'm mistaken, Rösti).

Previous thread:

WSJ: NX to use carts. Analysts have said an announcement could be prior to TGS

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Am I their fucking Analyst cause I keep posting the Google Calendar screens and can count going off the 3 week theory?

This seems sooo bad and unlike the WSJ to be so rumor mill random.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
As said in the other thread, it seems they're guessing as much as we are, then (it's also extremely general to say "analysts"). So, this shouldn't be treated as a confirmation of the NX unveiling happening in early October in the same way when they said "before TGS" it shouldn't have been considered a confirmation of any sorts.

"Analysts said it would be difficult for Nintendo to take back market share because Sony and Microsoft Corp. tend to lock game players into their own systems by offering network-based services such as downloads of new games."

You mean, uh, like Nintendo also does? What a shitty analysis.

Dystify

Next week they're gonna predict the middle of October, the week after early November.
And that week after that they report NX is cancelled.

"Analysts said it would be difficult for Nintendo to take back market share because Sony and Microsoft Corp. tend to lock game players into their own systems by offering network-based services such as downloads of new games."

You mean, uh, like Nintendo also does? What a shitty analysis.

They are probably referring to stuff like PS Plus and GwG where you lose access to received games if you stop your subscription, effectively locking you in to keep your access

Scrawnton

They need to do it asap and capitalize on that mess of a Sony conference. I can't believe Sony managed to unsell me in a product. Nintendo needs to come out soon and finally reveal it.

They need to do it asap and capitalize on that mess of a Sony conference. I can't believe Sony managed to unsell me in a product. Nintendo needs to come out soon and finally reveal it.

Uh huh quickly show off a product which is never intending to compete with sony or Microsoft and is a different market

Smart idea.

Neoxon

I mean, it would make sense. But didn't Eurogamer say September (unless there was a delay)?

The month just started, guys. There's still time.

"Analysts predict month ahead of initial prediction when chances of reveal look slim"

next month's article:

"Analysts predict month ahead of initial prediction when chances of reveal look slim"

I'm still where I've been for a while- a Direct in the last week of September, with selected journalists and influencers having been surreptitiously allowed to play the console either at TGS or in the week following it.

You don't need a three-week lead time for a recorded stream, and there's no way in hell Nintendo are doing a live press conference.

Alphahawk

"Remember the Saturn? That wasn't shit, check dis"

Nintendo should just announce the thing, by sending a letter to shareholders (and the press) stating that they're very underwhelmed that the NX, which has been in stores for at least a month is seriously under performing.

Kouriozan

Revealing it 5 months before its launch seems a bit too short, why not wait until January so the holiday rush will be over, and Nintendo will be able to get all the attention.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Revealing it 5 months before its launch seems a bit too short, so why not wait until January so the holiday rush will be over, and Nintendo will be able to get all the attention.

So 5 months is "too short" before launch, so your solution is to reveal it 2 months before launch. Seems reasonable.

lol. at this point people are just desperate.

I can now predict that in early November, the date on the calendar will be early November.

I don't think anyone knows Nintendo's concrete plans. Just gonna have to wait bros / gals!

kitsuneyo

With Miyamoto in the US for yesterday's Apple event, I was kind of hoping for an NX event really soon. But probably wishful thinking.

Kouriozan

So 5 months is "too short" before launch, but your solution is to reveal it 2 months before launch.
Yes because in both scenario it's too late anyway, they can't build up the hype like with the Wii.
Comes January, the PS4 Pro hype will be lower, there is an opportunity.

Reki

The thing is, even if they are just guessing, they will be right eventually. September is less likely each day, and October seems like a safer bet that November/December, with the christmas craze and all that.

Revealing next year leaves little margin until launch, and with the "ahead of schedule" comment a delay seems unlikely.

Top Bottom