• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Analysts now predict an NX announcement by early October

Apathy

Being an analyst must be like being a weatherman. No matter how wrong you are daily you can keep your job and come back with new predictions like you didn't mess up the previous day

Somnid

I wasn't feeling great about September in August, now I'm thinking October as well. Early October has been a common time for Nintendo to announce stuff.

At this point they should wait until the holiday season is over.

We have already waited this long anyway.

Reveal in January, release in March.

Metalmarc

They are going to take a tip off their new buddies at Apple and announce the NX at the begging of March and say it will be in the sops in 2 weeks like how Apple do with the iphone.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

worlds-greatest-roller-coasters-149508746.jpg

Anth0ny

analysts don't know shit. when it doesn't happen in early october, they'll predict mid october. and on and on.

what matters is what I say. and I say JANUARY.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why 3 weeks? Because of the invite? But, isn't it possible invites were already sent out in the past week or two and press are embargo'd from discussing/revealing this? In which case, Nintendo could give just a couple days or a week notice to the rest of us, to tune in.

OK I havent responded to this yet in the other threads, but think about this.

Why wkukd you embargo the press reveal date. What purpose does that serve? Who would you be protecting the announcement date from? Why would you embargo when a date announcement is free marketing as sites report the invites went out?

When the last time a major company who knew what the fuck they were doing with a live event embargoed it? Apple, Google, Sony, Microsoft, LG, Samsung ect... You name it never do this.

It's not like Apple is like hey we got this show coming up but don't tell anyone about it. Apple not only plans when the event is gonna take place, but they plan when the invites are gonna go out as to ride the marketing wave.

Nothing against you Max, but it's as if people dont think this through.

*Obviously if it's digital only you don't need as big of a window.

Why wkukd you embargo the press reveal date. What purpose does that serve? Who would you be protecting the announcement date from? Why would you embargo when a date announcement is free marketing as sites report the invites went out?

When the last time a major company who knew what the fuck they were doing with a live event embargoed it? Apple, Google, Sony, Microsoft, LG, Samsung ect... You name it never do this.

It's not like Apple is like hey we got this show coming up but don't tell anyone about it. Apple not only plans when the event is gonna take place, but they plan when the invites are gonna go out as to ride the marketing wave.

Actually, think about the recent Mario Run announcement- Time had an interview with Miyamoto ready to go shortly after the surprise announcement was made. So clearly that interviewer went to an event to get the chance to interview him, and didn't tell anyone about it beforehand.

I think this is what we're referring to as press events. At this point I doubt they'll be doing a live press conference, but what they likely will do is have some press hands-on time as well as interview time either before the reveal or shortly after, and when have we ever gotten indication beforehand from a journalist that they're going to an event like this?

I'm predicting a digital event/direct type reveal, where several outlets will have articles and interviews ready to go by the day after the reveal. I think about a weeks notice for the general public should be warranted though, so it's very unlikely to be pre-TGS.

maxcriden

*Obviously if it's digital only you don't need as big of a window.

Actually, think about the recent Mario Run announcement- Time had an interview with Miyamoto ready to go shortly after the surprise announcement was made. So clearly that interviewer went to an event to get the chance to interview him, and didn't tell anyone about it beforehand.

I think this is what we're referring to as press events. At this point I doubt they'll be doing a live press conference, but what they likely will do is have some press hands-on time as well as interview time either before the reveal or shortly after, and when have we ever gotten indication beforehand from a journalist that they're going to an event like this?

I'm predicting a digital event/direct type reveal, where several outlets will have articles and interviews ready to go by the day after the reveal. I think about a weeks notice for the general public should be warranted though, so it's very unlikely to be pre-TGS.

Thanks, Skittzo. This is exactly what I was going to say. Vanilladoge, I'm not referring to a live event that would be simulcast to the public, but a press-only non-streamed hands-on event that would occur ostensibly simultaneously as a Direct. Nintendo has done this several times in the past so rather than a live event for the public this is what I'm expecting. That way they can control the message and delivery as much as they like. In that case, what would prevent the scenario I described from happening? My understanding is these such situations usually have embargos tied to them and that's why we often don't hear about these hands-on events and interviews until the news has been revealed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thanks, Skittzo. This is exactly what I was going to say. Vanilladoge, I'm not referring to a live event that would be simulcast to the public, but a press-only non-streamed hands-on event that would occur ostensibly simultaneously as a Direct. Nintendo has done this several times in the past so rather than a live event for the public this is what I'm expecting. That way they can control the message and delivery as much as they like. In that case, what would prevent the scenario I described from happening? My understanding is these such situations usually have embargos tied to them and that's why we often don't hear about these hands-on events and interviews until the news has been revealed.

Obviously I'm just saying that logic need not apply cause the first time around I did this part of the setup is the idea of it being a live event.

Obviously if it's something else then my logic doesn't follow. :p

deadlast

Being an analyst must be like being a weatherman. No matter how wrong you are daily you can keep your job and come back with new predictions like you didn't mess up the previous day

As an analyst, I can say with 100% confidence that any current conclusion that I have is 100% accurate given my current data. When things change, I will change my conclusion.

To be fair, analysts do sometimes have access to legit insider info. I know Serkan Toto, for instance, has correctly called a few things like RE7 being announced at E3.

However, they also often don't know any more than what's been publicly reported, and are just speculating based on that. I'm going to guess that this is the latter.

Arkam

April 2017 reveal with a March 2017 release still seems like the best bet here

At this point that is the only thing I trust. Since it is Nintendo all mainstream logic is immediately tossed out the window. Every day until it is announced I will live life as if a megaton bomb could drop at any moment.

CrossXOver

Neo Member
This to me confirms that NX just might be the most well kept secret in gaming history up until now. These analyst don't know shit, and anyone who does hasn't been able to mutter a peep due to stricken fear from beefed up nintenjas this cycle.

Jerm411

Anticipation is killing me....super hyped for the NX and what it could possibly be, ready to dive back into Nintendo 100% completely.

Just show us lol....I'm ready to fork $$$ over right now....

analysts don't know shit. when it doesn't happen in early october, they'll predict mid october. and on and on.

what matters is what I say. and I say JANUARY.
I've been saying that for a while. They have two platforms that they want to sell this holiday. I don't think they'll want to kill sales of both platforms by announcing a console that will potentially replace both of them that is set to launch early next year. They almost always have a January direct. I expect the NX to be revealed there.

Sony has confirmed the rumours themselves, with an event taking place in New York on September 7th.

As reported yesterday, a French website, Gameblog.fr, was reporting that a reveal event for the PlayStation Neo would be happening in New York on September 7th. They stated the reasoning for the date was that a Nintendo event would be revealing their upcoming NX console on September 12th, and they would want to be beat them to the punch.

This has now been confirmed by Sony themselves, with invitations sent out to a “Future of PlayStation” event, which will be taking place in the PlayStation Theater in New York on September 7th. The event was announced as members of the press received invitations to attend a “PlayStation Meeting” next month.

If this report has turned out to be true, then we can only hope that the reveal for the Nintendo NX on September 12th will also be confirmed.

Wanted to post this in both places as it fits how events are unfolding!

Sony has confirmed the rumours themselves, with an event taking place in New York on September 7th.

As reported yesterday, a French website, Gameblog.fr, was reporting that a reveal event for the PlayStation Neo would be happening in New York on September 7th. They stated the reasoning for the date was that a Nintendo event would be revealing their upcoming NX console on September 12th, and they would want to be beat them to the punch.

This has now been confirmed by Sony themselves, with invitations sent out to a “Future of PlayStation” event, which will be taking place in the PlayStation Theater in New York on September 7th. The event was announced as members of the press received invitations to attend a “PlayStation Meeting” next month.

If this report has turned out to be true, then we can only hope that the reveal for the Nintendo NX on September 12th will also be confirmed.

Gameblog said the week of the 12th, not specifically the 12th.

In any case, it's highly unlikely they'll reveal it during TGS, so I'm pretty sure it's not happening next week unless we get a date today or tomorrow.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

I honestly think we would've heard of this event by now if it were happening on the 12th, but we'll see I guess.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

September 12 seems way too soon at this point. They'd need to make that announcement today.

ahkdigital

Neo Member
September 12 seems way too soon at this point. They'd need to make that announcement today.

Even tomorrow still leaves an entire weekend to travel. It's not like very many reporters are going to miss the chance to go to the reveal/press event of such a secretive console. The general public needs even less notification.

Top Bottom