• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Switch fails to turn on investors, surprises unannounced

antonz

Nintendo has a problem in the fact while they revealed the concept finally they are sitting on everything else. Its the everything else the Investors and analysts want to see.

The simple truth is Nintendo made a 3 minute video to tell the internet to shut up for a few months. That helps change the narrative online but money people want more facts than a 3 minute shut up video

vareon

Investors are no more informed about Switch than GAF, and they are trained to see things from purely economical perspective. "Being able to play Zelda on the bed" isn't something they're excited about, they just predict whether the product will be a success or not.

JimiNutz

Banned
The trailer was great but it's a poor way to announce the console.

Should have done a trailer first.
Then a Nintendo Direct to announce games.
Then a media event for hands on time.

Those three events should be carefully spread out to build hype and keep momentum going.

To show a trailer in October and then show absolutely nothing until the next year seems crazy!

Leonsito

Investors want Nintendo to make more "Super Mario Run" kind of games, because they want profits in the short term, and that profit is on mobile right now, even if that destroys your brand in the future. Anything else (propietary tech, home consoles, etc) will have a negative impact on shares.

Investors are no more informed about Switch than GAF, and they are trained to see things from purely economical perspective. "Being able to play Zelda on the bed" isn't something they're excited about, they just predict whether the product will be a success or not.

Even I don't want to play Zelda on the small screen. There are so many details you'd miss out on by playing an open world game on the tablet. I need a big screen for that game.

Oddish1

The trailer was great but it's a poor way to announce the console.

Should have done a trailer first.
Then a Nintendo Direct to announce games.
Then a media event for hands on time.

Those three events should be carefully spread out to build hype and keep momentum going.

To show a trailer in October and then show absolutely nothing until the next year seems crazy!

I think having a direct in November/December to announce games that aren't coming out for that holiday period isn't all that great of an idea either. There's already going to be a lot of advertising for games that will be released in that period and announcing new games then seems to be asking for them to be forgotten as people focus on holiday shopping. Having a huge blow out in January to build momentum til its release in March isn't a bad plan at all. There aren't as many games or news to overshadow them either.

Painguy

Nintendo has a problem in the fact while they revealed the concept finally they are sitting on everything else. Its the everything else the Investors and analysts want to see.

The simple truth is Nintendo made a 3 minute video to tell the internet to shut up for a few months. That helps change the narrative online but money people want more facts than a 3 minute shut up video

I read that as people want money, and I was like YESSSSSSS PLSSS

I do take people for morons if they don't think this is a fairly appropriate reaction to a reveal devoid of any information

investors sell because nintendo didn't specify the battery life. OK.

They sell because they want more Super Mario Run. They want short term profit, and that's a logic reaction.
Switch is a long term move that can't please them.

as a gaming moron that don't understand anything to investment despite your brilliant explanations, I am quite pleased by nintendo's move and think such a letdown was expected.

Chumley

Banned
At the end of they day it always has and always will be about the games. If the shown list of companies give the Switch first rate treatment, if Nintendo's development that had previously been spread between console and handheld is finally consolidated then the company has taken the two biggest steps to being a contender. Almost nothing else matters.

Yep. The portability option just isn't going to be a big deal. People play games on their phone when they're out, that's how it is and will be for the forseeable future. If they're going to bring an ipad pro-sized tablet, it'll be an ipad pro or surface pro which can play games as well as do other things and last waaaay longer than 3 hours.

Oddish1

It's probably worth pointing out that regardless of the reason investors are selling, it's not really indicative of how well the Switch will do. Besides, it'll probably go up again right before Mario Run is released in December.

Kouriozan

Either their investor learned from their past mistakes, or are very cautious this time.
Hopefully it'll force Nintendo to do better.

investors sell because nintendo didn't specify the battery life. OK.

They sell because they want more Super Mario Run. They want short term profit, and that's a logic reaction.
Switch is a long term move that can't please them.

as a gaming moron that don't understand anything to investment despite your brilliant explanations, I am quite pleased by nintendo's move and think such a letdown was expected.

Investors are selling because Nintendo didn't specify:

• Pricing
  • Software lineup
  • Worldwide release schedule
  • Technical specs
  • Audience targets
  • Bundling/peripherals

Which is to say, they didn't say anything meaningful about what the Switch actually is and what it means for Nintendo's future. But sure, play it off as simply "not specifying battery life."
It's probably worth pointing out that regardless of the reason investors are selling, it's not really indicative of how well the Switch will do. Besides, it'll probably go up again right before Mario Run is released in December.
True. Assuming there's nothing disasterous in the info, once there's a price, a rollout schedule and some tech specs, I would expect that stock should rise again.

Wasn't the stock up big time mainly bc Pokemon Go?

Seems like a correction to me.

Stock went up big time on Pokemon Go interest before plateauing back to normal levels when Pokemon Go was announced. Right now, stock is at that level, which is lower than when Super Mario Run was released. Whatever else happens with the stock will be when the Financial Briefing happens on Wednesday.

What they haven't announced is probably more games...not the 'hook' investors were expecting. Nintendo talked a bit about a new hook for it a while back, but if this hybrid is all it is, good luck - price will need to be on point.

Oddish1

Wasn't the stock up big time mainly bc Pokemon Go?

Seems like a correction to me.

Pretty sure that stock already went down when investors realized (after being told by Nintendo) that Nintendo only gets a small amount of profit from Pokemon Go. Nintendo stock was still riding high after the Mario Run announcement so it could be a correction to that.

Zero reason why they couldn't have given the Mario game a working title and concept pitch, likewise for the mysteriously upgraded MK/Splatoon versions.

Not that this would have changed investors minds much.

KrawlMan

What haven't they announced? The spec?

I wonder if this was all they had and now they're changing stuff up to keep the shareholders happy.

They've barely shown off anything other than the base concept.

• Online features
  • Operating system / UI
  • Touch screen (or lack thereof)
  • Motion controls
  • *Actual* launch games
  • Specs

Those are just things that are a given, or at least need to be denied.

There's also the potential for other novel features that we don't know about, couldn't have predicted, and were deliberately hidden as to not dilute purpose of the initial reveal. We could find that using the device without controllers / like a tablet is expected, and that they're courting some mobile devs
not something I'd care for, but there's a helluvalot of kids playing games together on their phones, riding the train to work

OrochiJR

Zero reason why they couldn't have given the Mario game a working title and concept pitch, likewise for the mysteriously upgraded MK/Splatoon versions.

Not that this would have changed investors minds much.

Maybe these weren't really new games per so, but just graphical demonstrations or deeply in-progress games that are yet to undergo heavier development. Does anyone remember the footage from a 3D Final Fantasy VI from around the N64 reveal time, or the "realistic" Zelda and Super Mario 128 footage from the Gamecube reveal? All of these were games that didn't come out at all or years later in different forms. I would put no stock into the shown games until they properly announce them.

Top Bottom