• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE SummerSlam 2017 |OT| We Will Heel

Mahonay

Banned
I like seeing Bayley come on screen and getting boo'd. You can see her heart break every time it happens, comedy gold.
tenor.gif

Well, The New Day was an awful face faction at first and managed to turn things around after an amazing heel run.

Not sure if Bayley has that charisma though.

Chindogg

the place would have erupted, show would have gone off the air with roman raising the belt and the crowd chanting yes

I guess they... don't want that?

You have no idea how much everyone hates Roman. Especially in New York, a haven of some of the smartest, hardcore wrestling fans. A Shield assist would not get fans to like him at all.

If The Rock raising his hand didn't get him over, no one's getting him over. His work is fine, but Vince's constant pushing of him when fans wanted someone else has left such a terrible taste in people's mouths that he's just unsalvagable for now.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Bunch of cool shit happened on this show. GAF is pretty damn cynical so I think most people will remember that there were a pretty cool 3/4 matches and be happy with the show.

-Awesome main event
-Great tag team matches
-Good women matches
-Demon Balor was over
-Naks entrance was memorable
-Cesaro vs Beach Ball
-Good to great AJ vs KO

Thats pretty good

Brinbe

Bayley doesn't strike me as a natural heel at all, so that would be pretty forced. I really don't know why she's getting booed right now at this point (aside from her shit booking). That's just certain people in the audience being dumb I think.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bunch of cool shit happened on this show. GAF is pretty damn cynical so I think most people will remember that there were a pretty cool 3/4 matches and be happy with the show.

-Awesome main event
-Great tag team matches
-Good women matches
-Demon Balor was over
-Naks entrance was memorable
-Cesaro vs Beach Ball
-Good to great AJ vs KO

Thats pretty good

I cant tell if youre being sarcastic or not to be honest. 3 of your points are entrances and a wrestler killing a beach ball.

Mahonay

Banned
You have no idea how much everyone hates Roman. Especially in New York, a haven of some of the smartest, hardcore wrestling fans. A Shield assist would not get fans to like him at all.

If The Rock raising his hand didn't get him over, no one's getting him over. His work is fine, but Vince's constant pushing of him when fans wanted someone else has left such a terrible taste in people's mouths that he's just unsalvagable for now.
I think The Shield coming together is actually the one thing with Roman involved that would get cheers.

Chindogg

I cant tell if youre being sarcastic or not to be honest. 3 of your points are entrances and a wrestler killing a beach ball.

That and he actually thought the Bliss/Sasha match was good when vastly superior women's matches happened earlier and the night before.

I think The Shield coming together is actually the one thing with Roman involved that would get cheers.

Considering they've done Shield reunions off and on over the last 3 years I don't think it'll pack that much of a pop. Especially in New York. The hate for Roman is super strong.

Florida? Yeah. Texas? Sure. But not New York, Philly, Chicago, etc.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

Nope. Its entertainment man, things that people people remember matter. I dont expect this to be Wrestle Kingdom or some shit. 6 matches I liked and some fun moments.

Carnby

I thought it was a very good ppv overall. There were a couple of stinkers (naka v Jinder, Cass v big show) but a lot of great matches too.

Roman brought down the match with his usual Superman Punch spam. Everything about it including his stupid jerkoff motion with his arm. It hurts every one of his matches.

Joe needed more offense as well. I miss the muscle buster.

daemissary

I thought it was a very good ppv overall. There were a couple of stinkers (naka v Jinder, Cass v big show) but a lot of great matches too.

I would very much like to ingest whatever substances you partake in.

I'm curious how many of the people who say they enjoyed tonight's show overall watched Takeover last night.

Carnby

I'm curious how many of the people who say they enjoyed tonight's show overall watched Takeover last night.

Sorry I'm not smark enough to realize this show sucked.

There, I said it for you.

Rellik

Who cares?

I wish I could still enjoy today's pro wrestling, so more power to those who can. They're the people having a good time while the rest of the fans bitch and moan about booking like they're the long lost children of Vince Russo.

daemissary

Sorry I'm not smark enough to realize this show sucked.

There, I said it for you.

Look man, enjoy whatever you want to enjoy but I was watching with 2 very casual fans and they both asked me if it was always this horrible. My smarkiness notwithstanding.

Mahonay

Banned
Who cares?

I wish I could still enjoy today's pro wrestling, so more power to those who can. They're the people having a good time while the rest of the fans bitch and moan about booking like they're the long lost children of Vince Russo.
You seeee, what you don't understaaaaand...

I watched both and I enjoyed tonight's show. It wasn't fantastic or anything but I didn't have many problems with it. Rusev getting fucked is my biggest gripe. Big Cass and Big Show was dogshit as expected. Sasha and Alexa wasn't great. Rest of the show I had no issues with.

Well the show is just too goddamn long, but what can you do?

Suplexer

The main event was pretty incredible. The finish to the E.L.D vs Shesaro match was really cool too, but pretty tame show other than that.

If Roman eats another dusty loss, I think having a full Shield reunion would be well received. They could even have them together for a program and then have Roman turn on them. The heat from him ruining the only thing people would like to see him do, plus destroying The Shield, AND him just being Roman would be incredible.

Paracelsus

Who cares?

Here's a dirty little secret:

You can watch quality technical wrestling and flippy shit anywhere anytime. What makes a product better than another is the personalities, and WWE is beyond the point of no return in that, nearly every single character sucks. You didn't watch Austin for his wrestling, you did for this. That magic is gone, and will never ever come back. Once you realize, move on from the product.

Sheroking

Here's a dirty little secret:

You can watch quality technical wrestling and flippy shit anywhere anytime. What makes a product better than another is the personalities, and WWE is beyond the point of no return in that, nearly every single character sucks. You didn't watch Austin for his wrestling, you did for this. That magic is gone, and will never ever come back. Once you realize, move on from the product.

This exact same post could have been made in 1996.

Then 1997 happened.

Sheroking

1996 and 2017 are very different for WWE and the outside factors.

Very different.

Sure, but the simple reality is that they're portraying talent in a way that's not hugely connecting with audiences and any breakthrough can shift the goal posts and pop business. Probably not the same degree, but we've seen plenty of ebs and flows in business even over the last half decade.

What Stone Cold was couldn't work in 2017. The audience isn't completely driven by anti-establishment young adult males. It's kids, women and smarks. Find a way to invest all three in SOMETHING they can get behind and the rising tide floats all ships.

Zertez

Roman brought down the match with his usual Superman Punch spam. Everything about it including his stupid jerkoff motion with his arm. It hurts every one of his matches.
It is rumored that many have wanted to get rid of the superman punch, but Vince loves it. Vince has always loved moves like this though.

Paracelsus

This exact same post could have been made in 1996.

Then 1997 happened.

Sure, but the simple reality is that they're portraying talent in a way that's not hugely connecting with audiences and any breakthrough can shift the goal posts and pop business. Probably not the same degree, but we've seen plenty of ebs and flows in business even over the last half decade.

What Stone Cold was couldn't work in 2017. The audience isn't completely driven by anti-establishment young adult males. It's kids, women and smarks. Find a way to invest all three in SOMETHING they can get behind and the rising tide floats all ships.

Completely catering to women gave us Orton, kids gave us Cena.

If the character is cool and doesn't look bad like Austin did you can connect to all audiences.

But, that was not my point, my point was nobody will ever again buy into a personality because we're actually back in 1996, they all look phony as shit. The larger-than-life effect is dead and buried and will never ever come back unless a Skynet happens and they're forced to shut down the internet indefinitely.

Can you imagine a world where Iron Sheik shits on Hogan live then goes to youtube on Piper's podcast talking about flowers and kids and how everybody is nice and happy? No, because Sheik was true to the bone, even when youtube happened he was still around motherfucking everybody. He lived his gimmick. Mahal does not.

Lack of tv alternatives, barely any internet, suspension of disbelief, consistent personalities made the product. If Austin happened today, stunned Vince and then went on youtube to sip on shitty drinks and tell you how he shops for underwear, he wouldn't get over either.

Lesnar is still a draw because he's a once in a lifetime beast, you know you have to buy into him because he won in phony fights and the real deal, and also because he hates everybody so he's by himself, he's not gonna whore himself to the internet for hits. You want to see him? Tune in WWE, watch him toss everybody around just like he would do if it wasn't fake, tune out.

It is rumored that many have wanted to get rid of the superman punch, but Vince loves it. Vince has always loved moves like this though.

That sounds about right.

As for the muscle buster discussion. Joe might not be able to pull it off on Braun and possibly Brock, but Roman wouldn't be an issue.

Foffy

Banned
Is there a gif or a clip of Bayley's reaction? I knew fans turned on her, and I imagine smart fans likely tried to take her soul. :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Then it's probably a size thing like Jericho and the Liontamer.

he could easily do it on Roman

hell his Muscle Buster is already neuteured anyway, he just drops them on their back, no reason for them to ban it.

Just_one

Sasha once again shows how just unprofessional and just a big mark for herself she really is

let me start by saying I used to be a big fan of her but since this fued with alexa she just became awful.

First of all during their first match after the big spot in the end and after the bell rang she just kicked alexa for no reason whatsoever , u can clearly see that in the way alexa reacted.

Moving on to last nights match once again sasha shows how unprofessional she is after alexa taps out by giving her a punch in the head , cant really do gifs but for someone who knows please make one...

just get a grip on your own ego sasha

Kurita

Meh PPV overall.

Mahal retained with a sloppy move. Dude is boring as fuck, guess we'll have to suffer until the end of the year.
Lesnar is still Yawn City. Braun should have won. The match was fun but the whole ending was garbo.
AJ vs Owens was kind of a mess because of all the awkward Shane spots.

Top Bottom