• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X1 DDR3 RAM vs PS4 GDDR5 RAM: “Both Are Sufficient for Realistic Lighting”(Geomerics)

Haha, this is even getting ridiculed by guys from Sony Santa Monica

Jam6hAP.jpg

Biker19 should be really proud for spreading that G***f** crap on here and bringing shame and ridicule to NeoGAF...

Nice going, Biker19.

Truespeed

If there was a semblance of truth to this guy wouldn't any apparent limitations this guy is talking about apply to PC as well? Since they use GDDR5 for GPUs?

There is no grain of truth to his incoherent and technically illiterate garbage. It is funny, though.

Biker19

Banned
I'm sorry, but did you just try to draw a parallel between the CELL processor assisting the RSX in graphics rendering and eSRAM?!?

WOW!

One is just a tiny cache memory pool, and the other is a 200+GFLOPS CPU. It's pretty obvious the two are not the same in any way shape or form.

I would have thought that with your aforementioned electrical engineering background you would have known this?

This. You can't do something like combining the Xbox One's eSRAM & it's GPU to get more graphics out of the system like you could combine the PS3's cell processor & the RSX GPU inside of the PS3 to get the most out of that system's graphics. It doesn't make sense.

i-Lo

I agree that it's speculation and the reasoning behind ERP mirror's my own reasoning.

What I don't agree with is taking the other poster's rumor at face value. He peddled an upclock a week ago which Matt and GopherD both denied.

What do you reckon the final number will be for the OS footprint (and I'm curious why no dev has come forth with the information and why not one main journalistic outlet has asked Sony about it)?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What do you reckon the final number will be for the OS footprint (and I'm curious why no dev has come forth with the information and why not one main journalistic outlet has asked Sony about it)?
I'm not the one to ask. I argued on here that 3GB for Xbox One was unfathomable high.

And right now it looks like that is the currently reserved figure as Marc Whitten when confronted with the 3GB figure did not correct it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Yeah but he said they are not reserving 1GB. He said this rumor is wrong.

Why are guys arguing about what random posters on B3D say? Since when does he know anything? I treat him like eastman, rangers, etc. They are MS fanboys who all pretend to have "sources", which are just other strangers on forums who make shit up. One guy feeds the other, until they are convinced they know something.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Sony's not allowing OS questions in interviews. No point in asking because they won't even get an answer. I assume stuff is still in flux on that end.

I just wish we had confirmation of the CPU speed. I'm 99% sure it's 1.6GHz but that one Japanese diagram of the APU said that it could possibly be 1.8 or greater. I'm just curious.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This. You can't do something like combining the Xbox One's eSRAM & it's GPU to get more graphics out of the system like you could combine the PS3's cell processor & the RSX GPU inside of the PS3 to get the most out of that system's graphics. It doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't imagine that MS and Xbox One developers are using that SRAM to reduce the amount of GPU stalls and bottlenecks to improve efficiency and utilisation of the rendering pipeline.

Biker19

Banned
Biker19 should be really proud for spreading that G***f** crap on here and bringing shame and ridicule to NeoGAF...

Nice going, Biker19.

Hey, I just wanted an opinion about it, that's all. It's nothing serious.

Nothing is stopping them from making a "refresh" 2 years down the road, like the S. Didn't that have a faster processor?

everyone is assuming that theyre just going to stick with this exact model for 10 years, they wont.

Um, no, neither Sony or Microsoft can change hardware specifications for their later console models without something happening to older games.

Once the final developer kits of a console are made & sent out, you're stuck with whatever hardware is inside of a home gaming console until the next generation of consoles arrive.

badb0y

Did anyone post about this yet? I can't find a thread on it. Confirmed Xbox One developer was answering some question on reddit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1i71s5/i_am_an_xbox_one_dev_ask_me_almost_anything/

Can't comment on the rumor.
The facts are on paper, the PS4 has better specs and the most you can debate is by how much. What I can tell you is I have played Forza, Killer instinct, and Ryse on the Xbox One. They look as good as the games I play on a high end PC. Ryse reminded me of darksiders II.

Also, a bit off-topic but
The majority of the masses care only about the console, except that the success of the Kinect carries much more weight to us. The sensor costs almost as much as the console to make.
Holy shit.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

TheCloser

Banned
Did anyone post about this yet? I can't find a thread on it. Confirmed Xbox One developer was answering some question on reddit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1i71s5/i_am_an_xbox_one_dev_ask_me_almost_anything/

Also, a bit off-topic but

Holy shit.

Ladies and gentlemen, its game over. Thank you for coming and goodnight. No more arguments. Confirmed. Take all future spec war arguments to the garbage disposal on your way out. Now we can focus on the software.

cyberheater

confirmed by mods it seems
wonder what he means by ryse is like darksiders 2.

Perhaps the gameplay mechanics. It certainly doesn't look like it and I doubt it's got spells and stuff like that.

RetroStu

Banned
confirmed by mods it seems
wonder what he means by ryse is like darksiders 2.

Well one of the developers was on the Gamespt stage at E3 talking about how the game isn't anything like the E3 demo and they only included all the quick time stuff in to show people examples of finishers that you can use and that all the fights are real time but you can finish people off with a finisher for bonuses and stuff but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Of course that has barely been mentioned on here since E3, its almsot like some peop,e have an agenda...

Perhaps the gameplay mechanics. It certainly doesn't look like it and I doubt it's got spells and stuff like that.

Its crytek.
Their track record would say 60% will be against humans other 40% will be against humans and aliens :p

Maybe its the way i played darksiders but it was hack and slash till execution button prompt or kill them.

cyberheater

From the Reddit stuff.

Seems MS are really going to focus on the Kinect stuff for Xbox One. Although I've advocated that MS should ditch the forced bundling of Kinect to reduce the consoles price, I'm kind of excited to see what a new and enhanced Kinect could do.

Well one of the developers was on the Gamespt stage at E3 talking about how the game isn't anything like the E3 demo and they only included all the quick time stuff in to show people examples of finishers that you can use and that all the fights are real time but you can finish people off with a finisher for bonuses and stuff but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Of course that has barely been mentioned on here since E3, its almsot like some peop,e have an agenda...
Who'd have thought showing off a demo that plays nothing like the game might give people the wrong impression of their game.

Of course, if no one liked my game I might start making up excuses too. I'm sure there'll be a lot of changes to the game based on the bad impressions from E3.

cyberheater

Its crytek.
Their track record would say 60% will be against humans other 40% will be against humans and aliens :p

Maybe its the way i played darksiders but it was hack and slash till execution button prompt or kill them.

Romans vs Aliens. I'm all for it. I could be a truly epic game.

Averon

Man, those WUST threads were entertaining. Some of the delusion that was running amuck in them was hilarious, especially in hindsight.

RetroStu

Banned
Who'd have thought showing off a demo that plays nothing like the game might give people the wrong impression of their game.

Of course, if no one liked my game I might start making up excuses too. I'm sure there'll be a lot of changes to the game based on the bad impressions from E3.

Oh come on it was obvious the actual game wouldn't have that many quick time events in it, even Crytec are not that dumb.
A lot of demos are shown like that to show off features but the complete game can end up being different.

Oh come on it was obvious the actual game wouldn't have that many quick time events in it, even Crytec are not that dumb.
A lot of demos are shown like that to show off features but the complete game can end up being different.
It's more than just the QTEs; they've been quoted as saying you can just button mash your way through the whole game.

The actual demo impressions from E3 weren't glowing either.

You can't blame people for judging a game based on what's shown now.

If it's different at launch, then it'll be judged then.

cyberheater

You can't blame people for judging a game based on what's shown now.

No you can't. But on the other hand. I've read stuff from folks that have actually seen the game running and they've said that visually, it's the best thing they've ever seen.

It does make you wonder what a next gen Crysis would look like.

No you can't. But on the other hand. I've read stuff from folks that have actually seen the game running and they've said that visually, it's the best thing they've ever seen.

It does make you wonder what a next gen Crysis would look like.
I don't think anyone would question how good the game will look at launch.

They're a talented team.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The facts are on paper, the PS4 has better specs and the most you can debate is by how much. What I can tell you is I have played Forza, Killer instinct, and Ryse on the Xbox One. They look as good as the games I play on a high end PC. Ryse reminded me of darksiders II.

Oh, you mean the developer of the console thinks they have the best titles around?! Damn.

The way he answers people with already known information, and considering that we had a giant thread on supposed astroturfing in reddit (which mods denied, I know), this just sounds to me as PR.

On the Family Sharing plan, before anyone starts blaming the anti-DRM campaign, MS was trying to get publishers to do the lending of 10 copies of the game. However publishers were against this (some weren't) and MS had to do glorified demos. This was said here, right?

I wouldn't imagine that MS and Xbox One developers are using that SRAM to reduce the amount of GPU stalls and bottlenecks to improve efficiency and utilisation of the rendering pipeline.

That's almost precisely what developers will be doing. At its base it helps with bandwidth, but with better, more effective use of the ESRAM, its latency will end up being cleverly utilized for maximum benefit to games being developed for the system.

badb0y

That's almost precisely what developers will be doing. At its base it helps with bandwidth, but with better, more effective use of the ESRAM, its latency will end up being cleverly utilized for maximum benefit to games being developed for the system.

Explain the bolded excerpt because it seems to me like your just trying to glorify latency into something it's not.

I2amza

Explain the bolded excerpt because it seems to me like your just trying to glorify latency into something it's not.

Maybe he means Kinect titles? Kinect is pretty latency sensitive.

But I wish Senjutsu would expand on his reasoning too, because GPU doesn't care about latency, and CPUs are OOO computing so latency is not as big of an issue.

It's nothing. It's grasping at straws and trying to turn a band-aid into something it's not

Nafai1123

Banned
Maybe he means Kinect titles? Kinect is pretty latency sensitive.

But I wish Senjutsu would expand on his reasoning too, because GPU doesn't care about latency, and CPUs are OOO computing so latency is not as big of an issue.

I can't really see how Kinect would apply. Kinect inherently has 60ms of latency, while RAM latency is measured in nanoseconds. Is is and always has been a non-factor that XBO defenders cling onto in the hopes that it will decrease the performance gap between the two consoles.

TheCloser

Banned

Bro, everyone knows you are the General in the Xbox defense army. Please, just stop. You are embarrassing yourself.

Top Bottom