• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 TV features to be supported only for US/Japan at launch

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Right now Sony has a better TV offering with Play TV on PS3 and Torne/Nasne for Japan. No reason they couldn't bring those out on PS4 as well.

Ushae

Banned
How strange is it that MS is delivering full TV support for Japan? Secret strategy or plain madness? Do the Japanese people love watching TV, anyone know? *shrug*

Skys in 25million homes in the uk.

Indeed, it's big over here. Last I heard MS don't have a deal with Sky just yet. What exactly does MS need, permission to map out their channels to the XB1?

So it's only in the US, as expected. The XB1 won't launch in Japan until at least mid 2014, so it looks like it will be a year or maybe 18 months post US launch that other territories start seeing these TV features.

Pretty damn odd to go all "TV TV TV TV" at your initial reveal and not have those features ready for anyone but USians for, like, another two whole years from the reveal date.

IT Slave

Banned
Rather surprised at japan.
Why? They're a small country (geographically) and have excellent infrastructure. This is an infrastructure issue. The real surprise is no UK support which I swear they said they would support. I'll tweet Penello now and see if I can get a clarification.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I love the way TV was in their big reveal, having an 'all in one' box compromised the gaming capabilities, yet they're still asking early adopters to pay that premium for something that doesn't work - but will be OK when their moms buy an xbox

Just fucked up beyond belief

Ashler

Just when you thought that being able to get an Xbox One at their 'worldwide launch' and being part of one of the few kinect supported languages at launch was ELITE enough...

BOOM, DENIED!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Talk about unprepared. This is one of their biggest features. So much that it was their focal point for most of the reveal. It's a TVTVTV box from a perspective. Doesn't make sense to only support the US while launching in some European countries alongside it BUT then support the late blooming Japan sometime between February and May or whatever MSFT said Xbone's launch date will be.

Not even the UK? Jesus MS just keep fucking things up. They were in such a strong position coming into this gen but they have really blown it. They can't afford to just give up their position in Europe completely but it feels like that is happening. The US market alone won't get you anywhere.

ascii42

Why? They're a small country (geographically) and have excellent infrastructure. This is an infrastructure issue. The real surprise is no UK support which I swear they said they would support. I'll tweet Penello now and see if I can get a clarification.

Yeah, especially since the UK speaks English, which means one less hurdle.

Razdek

Banned
How the hell can Microsoft not be able to use the data that they collected with the original Kinect to transfer to the new one? Data is data and if they wanted to they can map the old data so the new Kinect can use it. Seems inefficient to have to start from scratch when they already have tons of data to reference.

IT Slave

Banned
You can still plug your HD box into Xbox One. You just won't be able to use the Xbox guide and the Kinect functionality with it. Although I don't see why not since even Windows Media Center was able to download the program data from the Internet to populate it's guide. I just don't know if that's supported in the UK/Europe.

Microsoft continues to inadvertently send the message that they are not ready for launch and sending out an undercooked product to market to keep up with the Yoshidas.

Eagleman.jpg

USA, USA, USA!
Wow, look at those low rates.

hardvibes

MMURICA....
and a random country (Japan? Didn't they say it was going to launch in 2014?)

the good news just keep coming

major-nelson-xbox-one-gif.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Original launch countries - 21
new launch countries - 13
kinect voice control languages supported - 8
Voice supported countries at launch - 5
number of 180s pulled - 3
TV supported countries - 2
TV supported countries at launch - 1

Microsoft following the fibonnaci strategy it seems.

ICPEE

Japan is a waste of Microsoft's time. They're burning bridges by not focusing on Europe here.

One would think that they would focus on getting Europe and the US down pat with Xbox One features since its 2 of their strongest markets sales wise for the 360.
Even Sony is putting of the Japanese launch of the PS4. That market is starting to shift to mobile gaming in a big way.

Has there been a recent demo of the SNAP feature since the one from Wired back in May? At the time the TV was running about 2 FPS when snapped in during a game.

REV 09

It isn't exactly clear what is meant by the article in the op. Like where are the lines drawn as far as what will and won't work at launch. I'm in US though, so my selfish self doesn't care too much about how MS does oversees. Maybe the international audience is better served by ps4...still early to tell. I appreciate that MS is trying to do something different though. I really want next gen to be more than a gpu upgrade.

Walshicus

I *think* what he's saying is that only the US and Japan have widespread use of HDMI-in devices for TV, whereas Europe has a lot of people using aerials?

I mean if you have Sky or Virgin Media you'll still be able to view that content through the XB1.

As I'm reading it, is it not only an issue if a European does not have a TV box wtih HDMI? I personally don't know anyone who gets their TV over terrestial without a HDMI enabled box at some point.

So, it's not even going to work in Canada?? I don't understand this.

No Canada? That surprises me a fair bit.

Either way this isnt good news... again.

Aren't a ton of 360 apps (Hulu Plus, Last.fm, a whole bunch of other ones) unavailable in Canada? Last I heard, the main Canadian content the 360 had was Rogers On Demand, and that came quite a bit later. XB1 not having full Canadian TV support at launch doesn't surprise me at all.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Original launch countries - 21
new launch countries - 13
kinect voice control languages supported - 8
Voice supported countries at launch - 5
number of 180s pulled - 3
TV supported countries - 2
TV supported countries at launch - 1

Microsoft following the fibonnaci strategy it seems.

Damn. This isn't even touching their PR and other fumbles.

Oh well, I think people will still be able to route the TV through the input but this is still baffling considering how much they hinged their reveal on this only to not have it but for one country (it seems).

tkalamba

So, it's not even going to work in Canada?? I don't understand this.

he mentions HDMI in scendarios, only cable providers using HDMI outputs on their boxes will work. I think he may have simply been generalizing a bit here.

He mentions stuff about over the air TV, whcih would not be using HDMI outputs, and therefore can't be used, which isn't too uncommon in many places. Also many cable providers are still using component outputs for their boxes, once again of no use for the X1.

Canada, for example has Rogers and Bell for their most common TV providers (there are a few more, but tend to be more region specific) They have boxes that use HDMI, but many of the older boxes still only have component connections. You'd need a new box for it to work.

He's basically speaking about the cable box availability. Or at least that what I understand. Many European countries are using HDMI TV antennas and wouldn't be able to use the TV features.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Before we get outraged, what's the state of cable and satellite TV outside of North America and Japan? It may be much ado about nothing.

Well, Belgium has the biggest cable penetration in the world to give you a random example.

El-Suave

This Penello quote has to be one of the worst platform holder quotes ever.
EDIT: This is how it sounds to me - of course it's not the real qoute:
"You (the customer) and I (Microsoft PR, even he's down on the TV features?) won't care for the feature with which we've introduced the console to the world anyway. We don't really have a solution or talk about plans - effectively we're playing for time, but when that time has passed, your parents (only teenagers seem to buy the console at launch) will have become fans of Kinect and the'll want an Xbone. Then we'll totally have awesome fun!!!!"

So what would be the reasons for wanting Kinect outside of the United States at launch? Are there any games that are must have? How can Xbox One owners outside of the US use their Kinect when they get it at launch?

Seems like there is no really compelling reason to own a Kinect at launch.

This is what really separates the Xbox One from the PS4. The PS4 is simply a gaming machine whereas the Xbox One is your all in one entertainment multimedia device. It's good to see they've got all this stuff ready at launch, I think consumers will really see the difference and respond accordingly.

Skilletor

This Penello quote has to be one of the worst platform holder quotes ever.
"You (the customer) and I (Microsoft PR, even he's down on the TV features?) won't care for the feature with which we've introduced the console to the world anyway. We don't really have a solution or talk about plans - effectively we're playing for time, but when that time has passed, your parents (only teenagers seem to buy the console at launch) will have become fans of Kinect and the'll want an Xbone. Then we'll totally have awesome fun!!!!"

That can't be real.

Top Bottom