• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 TV features to be supported only for US/Japan at launch

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Albert Penello said:
We won't have a solution for that right away, but we still sell it as part of the vision.

This is so fraudulent and dishonest yet he doesn't even blink. I wonder what kind of office environment breeds this contempt towards consumers.

Fredrik

This reminds me of that still not functional TVii app on my WiiU dashboard... Well at least this time the console won't be there on launch day either. Sigh :/

I don't understand why MS pushed so hard for TV and Kinect integration at their debut and then had "only" normal games ready for launch.

Why isn't this thing $349 again?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Seriously Microsoft? Are we really not past the age yet where certain system selling features aren't available in other countries just because? There has to be reasons but it's obvious that these guys aren't ready for launch.

I see what point he's trying to make but it's still a gigantic middle finger to the gamers who buy this thing, expecting it to work! He gamer, we know you don't care about these TV features, so y'know what, you'll get them later, when they're done. So for a few months, it's just gonna be some underpowered games console with a camera and a HDMI IN that doesn't do what it was designed for.

Are we sure they aren't supposed to launch in March? Titanfall would be an amazing launch title.

Skeff

Sky is huge in the uk and is pretty big in eu, they should be on to them.

Sky wouldn't be a partner, they'd be a competitor, they are creating their own TV ecosystem.

The sky Boxes don't feature HDMI-CEC so that's out of the question for now, regarding the IR Blaster, sure they could get that working, But I don't think Sky would help, the Sky Remote is desiged to be the only remote you need as it has intergrated TV controls as well(which actually coincidently can be used with the PS3 slim, or maybe just super slim, I forget depending on your TV)

Sky have also created there own on demand ecosystem, featuring the back catalog from Sky channels but also Iplayer 4od itvplayer and 5 on demand, of course these will likely feature on the XB1 too behind the paywll, but sky want people using them through the sky box.

I can't see Sky handing the key's to their kingdom over so easily.

EDIT: also reports are sky walked away from deeper discussions with them, originally it was claimed microsoft wanted to subsidise as a second sky box but Sky were not interested:

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=255639568

This is eerily similar to Sony's Cell in a the toaster/fridge thing... Empty promises. They are advertising this thing as a super media machine, yet voice functionality doesn't work for most. TV functionality only works in the US and they are pretty standard stuff....

monkeyhat

So I'm a bit MORE confused now. It seems as though Microsoft talked more about the TV integration at a recent event. This is from an article in the Metro today:
"They did show the UK version of the One Guide though, but it was much simplified from the version demoed for America and not obviously more useful than the set-up box’s own guide. Although it did try to integrate app information along with live TV, with Microsoft adamant it would improve and become more useful over time."​
But reports from the same event by people like TechRadar, VideoGamer and Gizmodogamer.com seem to be saying One Guide won't be launching in the UK till next year (which I thought was the case) because .. uh .. they have to "test all the boxes."

So does that mean it's kinda done but it won't be rolled out till next year?

Top Bottom