• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 has around 17M Gold subscribers.

Rymuth

No there were 40 million people that connected to Live, but those were including the free memberships.
As I recall, the 40 million number was for Live accounts and many just assumed it meant Gold. But since I've seen quotes that nearly half the 360s didn't have unique online accounts at all (one account on multiple systems probably explains a fair chunk of that), these all sound about right.
That makes a lot more sense! Thanks. :)

Kyougar

I find it hard to believe that MS shared sensitive data such as that, without some type of NDA. I think he is guessing.

Every other dev that is Singleplayer or little Multiplayer? Yeah.

But a Dev that has games that are solely relying on the online Aspect NOT getting any Numbers on how much Audience they could have? NEVER!
The first thing Wargaming would have asked when they made the deal. Was the "exact" numbers of Gold users they can propably use as a playerbase. It would be crazy if they only relied on Microsoft Words that there would be "enough".

That wargaming leaked the number would be another thing altogether

Hindle

Banned
Over the last 8 years, I could believe 40m people have had a Gold subscription at some point. Still, 17m current subscribers is ok, it explains why MS are still releasing some of thier exclusives on the 360 as well.

killatopak

Which makes the claim that Xbox causes Microsoft over a billion losses every year all the more crazy.

Giving out servers and free games aren't free for MS you know. They do pay for games that aren't made by them and also servers require maintenance.

Mastperf

I bet the 17 mil is still much MUCH higher than PS+ memberships though.

I'm thinking PS+ membership is probably less than 5 mil.
I would expect so with so many things being locked behind the paywall for so long. Live Gold wss as standard as buying another controller for many last gen. Your PS Plus guess is likely far off.

SpokkX

Had Gold since XBL first launched on the OG Xbox but finally let it lapse this year.

Will consider rejoining if I ever pick up an Xbone.

The same happened to me.

There is no reason for me to have gold without an Xbone

Will probably pick one up eventually when som good exclusives hit

Yep, I'm in the same boat as many of you. I've owned a gold subscription since the service was launched but let it drop when I switched over to the PS4 and PSN+. PSN+ has to have taken a sizable chunk out of Gold's subscribers, and since both consoles now have paid subscription services, that loss is likely locked in. It makes more sense for a gamer to place as much of their content as possible that would require a subscription on a single console in order to avoid extra subscription fees.

barit

Wonder where this figure stands after this gen. MS must have lost crazy amount of cash this year with all the players who switched from X360 to PS4. Games with Gold is one sign that it's going downhill with Live Gold sub numbers.

Madness

As others have said, I think there aren't as many gold subscribers as there were say in 2011. There are fewer people with their Xbox 360's and not as many have moved onto Xbox One, with many going ps4 or PC only, many have probably let their gold expire and not renewed. I almost didn't buy it again this year because all I played was Halo 4 for a little while.

What the hell does that number mean?

I have a 360 and an XBO and a gold membership. Am I one of the 17m? I presume so as I could technically access their game. So is 17m the max gold subscribers across Live?

I had Gold for over 6 years but let it drop over a year ago as with the rise of PS+ I was getting bitter with how much of a rip off it was. Vowed to never go back.

This is my situation pretty much. Thus far, I simply havent found a good reason to re-subscribe to XBL after dropping it over a year ago. I used a couple 2 week passes to play the shit out of Titanfall but was bored of it after 3-4 weeks and havent found anything worthwhile on Games for Gold (to be fair, the last couple months of PS+ games collection have sucked ass too.)

So about 1 in 7? Thought it would have been higher.

1 in 7?! Not sure where you got that figure from, but assuming X360 sales are still around 80 million, 17 million Live Gold subscribers is 21.25%, or about 3 in every 14 X360 owners.

But as someone pointed out, it's probably a higher proportion than that as the number of unique X360 owners will be a lot lower than 80 million.

If those numbers are true than most people are using the internet only to update their games. "Online gaming is the future", my ass.

You might be onto something here, a situation which has not been helped much by the buggy and/or mediocre "next gen" MP gaming experiences like BF4, Titanfall, and Destiny being the best on offer at the moment.

If those numbers are true than most people are using the internet only to update their games. "Online gaming is the future", my ass.

This.

I still only regularly play multiplayer for fighting games. Even then we are talking maybe once a week or so.

Except for games where being online is the default option (NFS, watchdogs) I don't think ive taken my PS4 online more than twice since launch.

No interest in a online only future. None.

When I had a 360, I only paid for online because the console was almost useless without it. That only really lasted about a year until I got a ps3.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

This is the most interesting bit. Publishers like Ubisoft are changing many of their games into always online experiences, but they're shutting out more than 80% of their possible customer base.

What the hell does that number mean?

I have a 360 and an XBO and a gold membership. Am I one of the 17m? I presume so as I could technically access their game. So is 17m the max gold subscribers across Live?

Well it's either the total number of gold users/households or the total that have 360s + gold, so you should be one of them either way.

Usobuko

Banned
This is one of the main components they made over a billion in 360 twilight years and probably the motivation factor for Sony to go with PS+ multiplayer.

Wasnt it 30 million + a while ago?

Now that I think about it at some point they did just stop talking about XBL numbers so maybe they did drop off.

Every other dev that is Singleplayer or little Multiplayer? Yeah.

But a Dev that has games that are solely relying on the online Aspect NOT getting any Numbers on how much Audience they could have? NEVER!
The first thing Wargaming would have asked when they made the deal. Was the "exact" numbers of Gold users they can propably use as a playerbase. It would be crazy if they only relied on Microsoft Words that there would be "enough".

That wargaming leaked the number would be another thing altogether

I see what you did there

But yeah it seems logical that wargaming was told the sub numbers

it seems crazy that they are allowed to just tell everyone what they are. This was probably a total accident

piggychan

I 've let mine lapse this year since I am busy with the wii u and 3DS. Going to get gold again the end of this month since I just grabbed xb one for FH2

They were 46 million in April 2013, so that is some drop.

I don't think that is exclusively gold subs.

They talked about about having around 40 million accounts (not specifying how many are gold or silver) in 2012.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/60687-xbox-live-users-topple-40-million

In the article you linked it talks about 18% growth from the previous year which would put that 40 million around 46 (47 if the numbers were exactly 40 mill in 2012 so it must have been a bit lower then) million. We know the 40 million weren't all gold then so the 46 million you are talking about can't be all gold as well.

gtj1092

Online gaming is over valued on message boards. It's important but is only the focus of console makers and game makers because they can extract more money from you by making things online based. There is a huge market for local co-op and think that is part of the reason Wii was so successful lots of people want to just play with their friends and family at home.

BibiMaghoo

Yeah, but that was both Gold and Silver subscribers.

I don't think that is exclusively gold subs.

They talked about about having around 40 million accounts (not specifying how many are gold or silver) in 2012.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/60687-xbox-live-users-topple-40-million

In the article you linked it talks about 18% growth from the previous year which would put that 40 million around 46 (47 if the numbers were exactly 40 mill in 2012 so it must have been a bit lower then) million. We know the 40 million weren't all gold then so the 46 million you are talking about can't be all gold as well.

Does a silver member count as a subscriber of any kind? What are they subscribing too? I think that term should not be used if you are correct, as they are members, but not subscribers.

EDIT: I guess by definition they actually are:

subscriber
səbˈskrʌɪbə(r)/
noun
a person who has arranged to receive or access a service.

Mael

This is the most interesting bit. Publishers like Ubisoft are changing many of their games into always online experiences, but they're shutting out more than 80% of their possible customer base.

IDK, for Ubi I find it weird, I'm most certainly not on psn+ and yet Watch Dogs is online enabled and everything...
No way in hell I'm ever giving my payment data to Sony ever again though.

17 millions right now for the 360 is actually good. A lot of people moved to Xbox One and PS4 so these numbers are not that surprising. It was around 40 millions for both Gold and Silver a couple of years ago.

Does a silver member count as a subscriber of any kind? What are they subscribing too? I think that term should not be used if you are correct, as they are members, but not subscribers.

EDIT: I guess by definition they actually are:

I don't know, but Forbes described it as "There’s simply no way on earth that Microsoft would ever consider forfeiting 46 million subscriptions (though some are free, limited access Silver variants)".

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...e-subscriptions-up-to-46m-will-never-be-free/

Krakn3Dfx

I've had at least 3 people online mention to me that the XBL Gold auto-renewal system took them for another year, even tho they aren't using an Xbox anymore and just forgot or didn't know how to turn that off. I wonder how prevalent that is.

Auto-renewal is the fucking devil.

Top Bottom