• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 has around 17M Gold subscribers.

Rembrandt

Banned
Online gaming is over valued on message boards. It's important but is only the focus of console makers and game makers because they can extract more money from you by making things online based. There is a huge market for local co-op and think that is part of the reason Wii was so successful lots of people want to just play with their friends and family at home.

It really sucks local co-op died as fast as it did. I also think online multiplayer has kinda declined since parties and all of that. Took the fun out of trash talking and there really hasn't been a lot of captivating multiplayer games so far. Titanfall and TLOU are great starts, though.

Online gaming is over valued on message boards. It's important but is only the focus of console makers and game makers because they can extract more money from you by making things online based. There is a huge market for local co-op and think that is part of the reason Wii was so successful lots of people want to just play with their friends and family at home.

Your first sentence couldn't be more true to me. I have no desire to play online multiplayer anything.

mdubs

Banned
This figure is why anyone who believes there is any chance Microsoft is going to make multiplayer free is delusional.

cakely

Much lower than I expected.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the initial high failure rate of the Xbox 360?

Myself, I've been a member since November 15th, 2002.

BigDug13

With those figures they thought going online-only was a good idea ? I'm even more baffled.

Yeah this does make absolutely zero sense to me. Were MS going to be satisfied with 17 million total lifetime sales of XBO? If not, why even come up with their original plans?

Being a media all-in-one box that requires Gold to even use and having only 17 mil subscribers, was 17 mil their target of sales? Did their head office not understand the numbers?

jesu

Yeah this does make absolutely zero sense to me. Were MS going to be satisfied with 17 million total lifetime sales of XBO? If not, why even come up with their original plans?

Being a media all-in-one box that requires Gold to even use and having only 17 mil subscribers, was 17 mil their target of sales? Did their head office not understand the numbers?

A silver account can still connect online you know.

gtj1092

They most likely thought it would lead to more Live subscriptions. Plus you can still be online with out having a gold sub.

Mael

They also thought that they would sell something like a billion xbone or something this gen.
Yeah they were that dumb.

Jomjom

Banned

Because like locking things like Netflix behind the paywall, MS thought it would be an actual benefit and drive people to buy subscriptions.

riotous

Banned
War Gaming CEO would only be privy to such info behind a strict NDA...

So either the guy just nonchalantly broke agreements, or he's talking out of his ass.

Either way... massive grain of salt and almost pointless to discuss as we have no way of knowing if the number is accurate.

riotous

Banned
They also thought that they would sell something like a billion xbone or something this gen.
Yeah they were that dumb.

That quote is about the entire console industry; it was a ridiculous quote but it's not saying they think they can sell 1 billion Xbox One's.

I thought it would be more, like 30m. Online only future to 17m people, sure, why not.

There were a few things happening at the end of the last generation. I for one, even as an early adopter, got bored of the 360 and dropped my Live subscription for a couple of years until the XBO came out and I subbed back in.

I'm sure that alot of people were in that boat too. Some others may have skipped Xbox last gen and be new subscribers to Live. 17m has to be the lowest figure.

Of course, assuming every XBO owner is a subscriber we might only get up to 25m tops?

What are the PS+ numbers?

They got a solid decade out of me, but I'm done for the time being.

I pretty heavily shifted over to the PS4 and am not willing to pay for two services. Good on them, though, and I may be back in the future.

Top Bottom