• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox boss says hardware analysis between consoles is “meaningless”

Hawk269

This quote reminds me of Major Nelson's microphone grabbing interview with Angry Joe. It's insulting to the gaming audiences intelligence. You don't need to be an engineer to be able to say with a great deal of confidence that a Ferrari Italia 458 is faster than a Porsche Boxster. Nor do you even need to have even driven them. The specs sheets lay it out pretty plainly, plus with alot of available expert commentary it's easy to tell which is the faster car and the same goes for the XBox One and PS4. The Porsche still has a major advantage over the Ferrari though. It's cheaper, so more people can buy it.

I wonder if the engineer's explained pricing or do you need to talk to the suits on Wall St to understand that?

Can you provide us with the Xbox One Spec sheet? I have yet to see MS provide the specs on a sheet of paper like Sony has so far.

Thanks!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Even sans downclock it does have a GPU that is 1/3 less powerful than the PS4 GPU! (and with half the ROPs).

It will be as weak as people are saying!

It'll still have amazing looking games, as evidenced by E3 and we don't play specs, we play games.

TheD

The Detective
It'll still have amazing looking games, as evidenced by E3 and we don't play specs, we play games.

But the PS4 will have better looking games.
Just because you think that the xbox one games look "amazing" does not mean a damn thing, it is just a meaningless subjective statement!

abadguy

Banned
Even sans downclock it does have a GPU that is 1/3 less powerful than the PS4 GPU! (and with half the ROPs).

Nothing will change that.

Well if games that look and run like Forza 5 and Ryse are at launch, i think X1 owners will be just fine with how the games look on the console when the second and third gen games start hitting.

But the PS4 will have better looking games, just because you think that the games look "amazing" does not mean a damn thing.

The original Xbox had better looking games than the PS2, didn't seem to mean shit to most PS2 owners though. If i were truly a graphics whore, i would build a decent PC.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
But the PS4 will have better looking games, just because you think that the games look "amazing" does not mean a damn thing.

So you think unless you have a top of the line PC there is absolutely no point in playing games on PC since you'll know that the game might look better at a higher setting? Does that ruin the game for you?

EDIT: LOL, I just saw your edit. You say PS4 will have better looking games but me saying games looking good on the XB1 is meaningless because it's subjective. Nice, lol.

You don't need a XBone, just more games for X360 then.

Oh that's cool, I haven't seen Forza 5, Ryse or Dead Rising 3 for Xbox 360. Can you link me to them?

TheD

The Detective
So you think unless you have a top of the line PC there is absolutely no point in playing games on PC since you'll know that the game might look better at a higher setting? Does that ruin the game for you?

Oh that's cool, I haven't seen Forza 5, Ryse or Dead Rising 3 for Xbox 360. Can you link me to them?

No one said that the system has to have the best graphics around for people to get enjoyment out of it, but to disregard the advantages of a more powerful system just because you subjectively think the weaker system looks good is wrong!

No one said that the system has to have the best graphics around for people to get enjoyment out of it, but to disregard the advantages of a more powerful system just because you subjectively think the weaker system looks good is wrong!

I'm not sure anyone can argue with you here :).

It's not meaningless.

There's a thread right now with people comparing the esRAM to the GDDR.

It obviously holds meaning to the Xbox fans ecstatic at the possible 'upgrade'.

abadguy

Banned
It's not meaningless.

Did we read the same thread? Didn't see to many jumping for joy at that other than a couple saying it's cool. Did see some of the usual suspects jumping in the thread to angrily dispute it while still informing us that the PS4 is still better even after the "upgrade" that M$ is supposedly lying about.

Shayan

Banned
how shameless can one be ? low powered HW, slow and cheap ram , virtually the console being dead all over except US even before launch. I mean are they seriously anticipating whats coming their way?

It's not meaningless.

Oh the pastebins, tweets and random forum that showed possible Durango spec upgrade before the unveil.

Did we read the same thread? Didn't see to many jumping for joy at that other than a couple saying it's cool. Did see some of the usual suspects jumping in the thread to angrily dispute it while still informing us that the PS4 is still better even after the "upgrade" that M$ is supposedly lying about.

Like I said, comparisons having meaning.

It means something for both the people who are happy and the people who aren't.

If MS were transparent and released all of the tech specs for the XOne, that would also be meaningful.

Myansie

Can you provide us with the Xbox One Spec sheet? I have yet to see MS provide the specs on a sheet of paper like Sony has so far.

Thanks!

Regardless, we still have a pretty damn good idea of what those specs are. Why do you think Microsoft hasn't released the spec sheet? 5 billion transistors!!! We know the price and we have a ball park figure on it's comparative speed.

Honestly, I haven't even looked at the spec sheets of the Ferrari and Porsche, I'm guessing you haven't either and both of us know the Ferrari is quicker. At least Porsche had the common sense to make the Boxster cheaper.

StudioTan

Except this thread is about the fact that the power of the system is not the only thing that makes you want it, it's the games. If a system has good games people will want it. My point is that the graphics will still be very good and if it has games that you want then you should buy it. I'll be gaming on XB1, PS4 and PC this generation because I like games. Specs are nice but they're not everything.

Omega

Banned
It's insulting that Microsoft knows we buy systems for games, and for 10 years has pretty much given us just halofableforzagears

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Interesting perspective you have there. Good thing we don't have to take your word for it and everyone can just read the thread for themselves.

StudioTan

Exactly... Even if they are are on a souped up HP computer with a high end Nvidia card and watercooling!

Forza, Ryse and a few others were confirmed to be running on XB1 hardware.

Shayan

Banned
Interesting perspective you have there. Good thing we don't have to take your word for it and everyone can just read the thread for themselves.

almost everyone in that thread found that that those numbers werent making sense and perhaps that theoretical " cloud like g/s of esram" was released in order to hide a possible downclock?

benny_a

almost everyone in that thread found that that those numbers werent making sense and perhaps that theoretical " cloud like g/s of esram" was released in order to hide a possible downclock?
There seem to be two interpretations, but the downclock with addition of read/write within a cycle is winning out.

I wholeheartedly and endorse MSFT exec. specs, mean nothing to me, bring on the games.Show me why I want to buy your system. I'm not easily influence by theoretical numbers. I'm influenced by what you can produce.

Shayan

Banned
There seem to be two interpretations, but the downclock with addition of read/write within a cycle is winning out.

concurrent read /write operations on slow DDR 3 itself is like "MS Cloud"

It is not about winning out or anything . a 32mb auxilliary ESRAM wont magically bump the bandwidth of DDR3 which will be concurrently used for 1000s of things .those dont make sense

PTG

Digital Foundry side by side comparisons of next-gen multiplatform games are gonna be a treat later this year. I can't wait to see those threads on NeoGAF.

hinAw.gif

eastmen

Banned

Nothing will change that.
Clock speed can change that. Neither company is in mass production yet and clock speeds can change depending on yields

For example. If sony cant hit 1.6/800 and instead needs to lower the clock speed even just 50mhz it will narrow the gap. Couple that with ms having good news at mass production phase and increasing clocks the combination can put the two very close to each other

Dont forget any upclock for the xbox one gpu would result in the edram increasing in speed also.

We really dont know how this will pan out. Sony has given clock speeds but they can easily change. Esp ifsony wants to meet demand for the console. They could easily feel lower clocks but more units Iis the way to go

All this talk is silly as neither console is even released yet

benny_a

Clock speed can change that. Neither company is in mass production yet and clock speeds can change depending on yields

For example. If sony cant hit 1.6/800 and instead needs to lower the clock speed even just 50mhz it will narrow the gap. Couple that with ms having good news at mass production phase and increasing clocks the combination can put the two very close to each other

Dont forget any upclock for the xbox one gpu would result in the edram increasing in speed also.

We really dont know how this will pan out. Sony has given clock speeds but they can easily change. Esp ifsony wants to meet demand for the console. They could easily feel lower clocks but more units Iis the way to go

All this talk is silly as neither console is even released yet
Sony has not given the clock speed.
Xbox One doesn't use eDRAM
TRUTHFACT that MS is having yield issues
Rumor: Way better allotment of PS4s compared to Xbox One's for retailers in the US and UK
Rumor: Downclock of the GPU (albeit only 50MHz)

You basically took everything we know about and then inverted it.

It shouldn't matter if they love you. ;)
lol...a bit off topic, but I will say "size does matter". It doesn't in a literal sense, since it doesn't take much length to reach any woman's sensitive pleasure areas. But it does in a technical sense, in that the bigger or more specifically "thicker" you are, it's much easier and less work to find a woman's particular area of sensitivity and personal favorite. thus making it easier to satisfy women sexually. So yes, love conquers all, but it doesn't hurt to be on the large side'-)
Is it just me, or did a ton of people turn into super-douches after E3?
It always happens, but this particular gen is a bit more emotional i think, and for good reason. MS basically tried to take on dump on everyone's face and ask to pay to wipe it off...I think a lot of users now, and right along in the gen will have the attitude of "why are you supporting that company" and it's not that farfetched to see why.

This is my first console launch situation but man; this is wild. I need to develop a tolerance to certain things; I am working on it.
You simply have to put it in perspective. When PS3 got shat on by most forums, I was called the "Sony Defense Force" simply because I wanted to justify my purchase and because I genuinely had faith in Sony's WWS and commitment to games. It was still very much about the price, Sony's arrogant PR, the media claiming 360 was a superior experience, and games. This gen it's a much more personal type of setting where MS tried to do something that most gamers would call anti-consumer. There PR has just been pathetic, and I've said before you have die-hard sports fans, food fanatics, and people from all over who take so much pride in there purchasing and habits--why would gaming be any different? Go out and enjoy whatever platform you want truly, but MS is mostly to blame for the bias you are going to see against the Xbone this gen. Only amazing games will turn it around. Every company goes through, and MS has certainly earned there's this generation..

Shayan

Banned
He is completly right and the end result of this gen being Wii > 360 > PS3 proves the point just as it did in previous generations.

Remember when people said the power of the cell in the ps3 would mean it would dominate ?

what do you mean by that?? its wii>ps3> x360

PS3 outsold x360 in terms of worldwide sales and now has a 1m/2m lead i guess if not bigger. Also ps3 would continue to sell for a while when it hits <=200$. So what would ps3's LTD data look like? We still dont know

With PS4, scenario is different. The only way PS4 would lose this war is if somehow Wii U makes a comeback. Xbone has no chance of beating PS4 anywhere except US. Even if that happens, PS4 would completely decimate xbone in global sales

demolitio

Look back at the quote:

"I feel like our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good, if not better, technically - on top of all the magic we're going to add with the instant switching, and the power of the cloud."

Maybe that does mean graphically, but to me that sounds more like experiences, and not graphically powerhousing over the ps4. I'm pretty sure that the majority of people paying attention disregard that crazy notion that the cloud is going to make the xbone stronger than the ps4. The question now is whether this offers a good ability to alter your gameplay experiences. I feel it does. Feel free to disagree.

EDIT: Added a little clarification.

EDIT2: I should also point out that the entire premise of him saying people shouldn't compare the consoles technically is really stupid. Duh, of course you should! My comments are merely just trying to play devils advocate on this bashing of 'the cloud' that I see constantly

Look at my previous posts and you'll see I'm talking about the multiple PR quotes about it and not just this one. I'm saying that now every time they use it, it won't mean shit unless they clarify it because they've already tainted the idea when throwing out the 40x more powerful than a 360 with the cloud nonsense. I'm interested in them spelling out what advantages it has for gamers outside of the lame PR quote repeated 20x over yet they never tell people what it is practically which only hurts them more as it keeps the current image of the cloud and MS PR in the same light and doesn't spell out any possible advantages the cloud gives MS to the gamers that pick these consoles up at launch. I believe it COULD have a big part if done right but it's most likely only going to be used majorly in first-party games in the future except for cheaper dedicated servers for developers and publishers. If they spell out what it can do for a game instead of sticking to the same pitch, people wouldn't just write it off as a joke and just cheaper proportional dedicated servers that can do some minor things just like other games do when they're developed with those servers in mind. As it stands now, they keep limiting it to specs talk and how it should make people want their console but never tell you WHY it should make you want their console. It's good that dedicated servers will be more of the norm though as I'm a PC gamer and loved the PS3 games that used them as well. But to keep talking about the cloud, they need to say what more it can do before it gets away from the current stereotype MS created for it.

I'm one of the guys that says it's more for other shit than performance improvements yet it's mentioned every single time they bring up any of the specs and it's not helping their cause at all when they should list the benefits of the cloud for the gamers instead of limiting it to MS BS PR (had to) talk. It's not like they're doing any favors at this point and if they don't care about the specs comparisons, they should stop bringing up the cloud and how it drastically improves their performance. Such rhetoric isn't as common now but they tainted the name of a good feature really...

I'm not hating on them for the sake of hating on them but pointing out how horrible their PR has been throughout this whole ordeal as they continue to use generic bulletpoints instead of spelling out the advantages for the enthusiasts that are the ones that buy their consoles at launch. I can only afford one console at launch since a surgery just wiped me out and as much as I want both, one is going to have to wait. I've always owned all consoles and this will hopefully be no different in the future, but MS needs to stop treating the gamers that read these interviews as idiots buying into the pitches and start actually giving us information that might influence some people's decisions.

It just makes no sense from a marketing standpoint what they've done so far and they continue to do so when they need to be winning people's trust back. Over-turning DRM is great, but that doesn't restore all faith people have so they need to come out and be honest for once without the salesman approach or else just be quiet. This guy doesn't bug me, but Mattrick needs to stay away from the camera for a while and that'd help immensely too. :D

katkombat

Banned
Funny thing is, if MS had better hardware they'd be boasting about how much better they are. Pathetic that it doesn't matter because theirs is worse.

Bgamer90

Banned
Hindsight is always 20/20.

True but even during that time I really would have paid $100 more for the PS2 in comparison to Xbox and GameCube because it had way more games I was interested in.

Heh, heck -- I kind of pretty much did pay $100 more for the PS2 when you factor in the price of the multitap and the network adapter; add-ons for features that were standard on the Original Xbox.

nib95

Banned
Of course he would say that. Despite throwing useless numbers out there already (combined bandwidth figures and 5 billion transistors) as well as going against the grain compared to the 360 and Xbox where they did release the facts and figures.

Durante

Specs are meaningless, except for those few instances were our meaningless numbers are larger than their meaningless numbers.

Funnily enough, the number Sony released (1.84 TFlops) is significantly more meaningful for evaluating performance than all the numbers MS released (5 billion transistors, 300k servers).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Specs are meaningless, except for those few instances were our meaningless numbers are larger than their meaningless numbers.

Funnily enough, the number Sony released (1.84 TFlops) is significantly more meaningful for evaluating performance than all the numbers MS released (5 billion transistors, 300k servers).

The messaging is something different but it's hard to argue against numbers that really impact what's being rendered.

what do you mean by that?? its wii>ps3> x360

PS3 outsold x360 in terms of worldwide sales and now has a 1m/2m lead i guess if not bigger. Also ps3 would continue to sell for a while when it hits <=200$. So what would ps3's LTD data look like? We still dont know

With PS4, scenario is different. The only way PS4 would lose this war is if somehow Wii U makes a comeback. Xbone has no chance of beating PS4 anywhere except US. Even if that happens, PS4 would completely decimate xbone in global sales

True Story, the USA are not the only country in the world. The rest of the world spends as much or more than the US in gaming

Sorc3r3r

What i want to see are the 3rd parties games before stating something about specs are meaningless.
If you are serving for all the life of your system inferior ports, worse perfoming games due to your tech policy to your customers, how can you say something like that?
Your are providing a bad service, the same happened to Sony with ps3, this time the difference seems to be wider, but time and games will tell the truth.

PS3 is actually the inferior machine of the two, and it showed. It was also the more difficult console to develop for. Sony was constantly bleating about "the power of the CELL" and saying developers would unleash said power. Turns out the console was weak as hell, and so difficult to work with that few developers squeezed any power out of it.

Hardware power and ease of development certainly matters.
From the developer perspective it makes things easier on them, and they have better hardware to work it.
From the gaming enthusiast perspective it means we get more impressive games sooner.

Where were you at back then? Every other week we had developers moaning how hard it was to work with the PS3 and how the UMA in the 360 was a boon.

Selective memory you guys have. People then were praising how ps3's cell processor made it a super computer. It isn't until the thing actually came out that we started to see that it wasn't. Practically everyone (including in forums, not just sony) was saying ps3 was more powerful before the consoles actually came out. Thats what im saying.

You know they have an underpowered system when they're saying this.

Such a shame this'll be the first Xbox I don't buy. Loved the 360 back in Pete Moore's day and the good old Xbox before it with its great range of games.

Top Bottom