• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox boss says hardware analysis between consoles is “meaningless”

Nope, not implying that. I'm asking if people could conceive of a circumstance where the published specs might not tell the whole story on performance. I'm not talking about the cloud, either. :)

It's interesting that you don't address his question about a downclock.

Surely, if that rumour was unfounded you could easily dismiss it? :)

Bgamer90

Banned
PS3 is actually the inferior machine of the two, and it showed.

So PS3 exclusives don't look better than Xbox 360 exclusives?

Where were you at back then? Every other week we had developers moaning how hard it was to work with the PS3 and how the UMA in the 360 was a boon.

Before launch there was a TON of people/gamers who were pushing the PS3 as being the more powerful console.

Don't remember "Xbox 1.5"?

guch20

Banned
That is the beauty of consumerism. Some will enjoy the ease of use of having Kinect and others will not.
Lol ease of use. Because opening menus on your TV by waving your arms rather than tapping a remote button is so much less annoying.

Saying "Xbox channel 44" is such a time saver over straining your thumb to tap that button.

Using Kinect to surf the web or Skype on your TV while watching a show or playing a game is so much less frustrating than using your phone or iPad. After all, why would you want to view your show on your entire TV screen when you can shrink it down to 1/3 of your TV screen so you can use Bing to look up whatever you're trying to find.

Kinect's TV functions are solutions in search of problems.

Getting ps4 for its more diverse game launch library, better price, sleeker look and size, better controller, better subscription, vita remote play, and less risk of DRM policy 180's. So yeah, hardware is meaningless.

Lol ease of use. Because opening menus on your TV by waving your arms rather than tapping a remote button is so much less annoying.

Saying "Xbox channel 44" is such a time saver over straining your thumb to tap that button.

Using Kinect to surf the web or Skype on your TV while watching a show or playing a game is so much less frustrating than using your phone or iPad. After all, why would you want to view your show on your entire TV screen when you can shrink it down to 1/3 of your TV screen so you can use Bing to look up whatever you're trying to find.

Kinect's TV functions are solutions in search of problems.

Unlike you, I don't just sit in front of my tv with my remote in my hand. Often times I'm cooking, or I have friends over and am playing a board game. saying xbox channel 44 is much better than finding the remote and switching. Saying xbox play radiohead, is better than grabbing a controller and futzing around through the menus. It is definitely useful for me, and is one of the main reasons I'll probably be switching to xbone for my main console next gen.

Exactly. This is nothing new. MS was saying similar things back in 2005/2006.
Really? I remember Major Nelson saying that the 360 was a lot more powerful than the PS3. In fact he even did an embarrassing blog post about it comparing numbers. But in fact it turned out he was right about the GPU being weaker at least, because of the Nvidia downgrade. Also there is no denying that while Cell is more powerful than the 360 CPU, it is pretty hard to tap into its full potential. This won't be the case with the PS4 anymore, because identical architecture and CPU.

They do most of the time, but only because Sony's 1st party has the time, tools and resources to use the Cell to its full potential. Modern game development is centered around the GPU, so it didn't exactly help the PS3 that its GPU was weaker than the 360. First party was able to offload typical GPU tasks to the CPU and that way they were able to beat Microsoft's offerings most of the time.

With PS4 literally everything is different.

guch20

Banned
Unlike you, I don't just sit in front of my tv with my remote in my hand. Often times I'm cooking, or I have friends over and am playing a board game. saying xbox channel 44 is much better than finding the remote and switching. Saying xbox play radiohead, is better than grabbing a controller and futzing around through the menus. It is definitely useful for me, and is one of the main reasons I'll probably be switching to xbone for my main console next gen.
Congratulations.

You're right, I don't go searching for my remote while cooking, but that's because my face isn't buried in my TV all the time, so when I cook, it's not on. When friends are over, the remote is on the coffee table directly in front of the couch. Unless you routinely chuck your remote across the room, lean your ass forward and tap the button. But if it's something you're willing to plop down extra cash for when everything else in the box underperforms compared to PS4, knock yourself out (although I have serious doubts you're "switching"). It's your money.

I just can't wait for all the reports of this stupid thing bugging out and picking up sounds it interprets as commands, or people needing to repeat themselves over and over again for the Xbox to get what they're saying. That "convenience" factor is going to shoot right out the window the first time your Kinect shits the bed and you can't play any Xbone games until you get it fixed or buy a new one.

Congratulations.

You're right, I don't go searching for my remote while cooking, but that's because my face isn't buried in my TV all the time, so when I cook, it's not on. When friends are over, the remote is on the coffee table directly in front of the couch. Unless you routinely chuck your remote across the room, lean your ass forward and tap the button. But if it's something you're willing to plop down extra cash for when everything else in the box underperforms compared to PS4, knock yourself out (although I have serious doubts you're "switching"). It's your money.

I just can't wait for all the reports of this stupid thing bugging out and picking up sounds it interprets as commands, or people needing to repeat themselves over and over again for the Xbox to get what they're saying. That "convenience" factor is going to shoot right out the window the first time your Kinect shits the bed and you can't play any Xbone games until you get it fixed or buy a new one.

So stop assuming that it's a solution in search of problems. You are projecting your lack of use for everyone's lack of use. Don't be dense.

TheD

The Detective
So stop assuming that it's a solution in search of problems. You are projecting your lack of use for everyone's lack of use. Don't be dense.

Just what I expect out of the type of people MS hires.

guch20 has a very good point, nothing about kinect is worth an extra $100 and a slower system!

You are the one projecting your use cases on to others.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Calm down. Accusing someone of being a shill is unbecoming.

Why the use case of using voice recognition requires a camera instead of a microphone is the real question.

TheD

The Detective

Why the use case of using voice recognition requires a camera instead of a microphone is the real question.

I am not saying he is a hidden shill, it says he works at MS in his profile!

Based off of the statement given by Albert Penello to OXM, that statement given to Geoff Keighley by Don Mattrick "we have a system for people without net access, it is called the xbox 360" and that guy a few weeks ago that posted on this forum claiming that the bad things we are saying about the xbox one are just lines being feed to us by Sony PR and how we should break free of the marketing, bar not only the fact he made very marketing like statements about the kinect in an other thread but he also turned out to be working at MS (but did not tell the forum)! Leads me to believe that MS does not hire very nice people.

guch20

Banned
I wasn't assuming it's a solution in search of a problem. I was asserting it. Because it is. Did I say it had absolutely zero function? Did I say you could never use those capabilities? I simply said those functions were a more time-consuming and, depending on how well/poorly the Kinect interprets sound/motion, more error prone method of performing simple tasks. Not to mention the screen shrinking is just stupid.

But I suppose I'm just too dense to understand the magic of the forced camera lifestyle.

Such is life.

Edit: Oh shit, you work at Microsoft?? Is it company policy to insult potential customers online? I never called you a name, and you called me dense. Fantastic PR you folks have up there.

Any point you tried to make about how great the Kinect will be for the average user is now shit. You're being paid to have a good opinion. I'm sure you'd gush over Surface and Windows 8 if they came up.

guch20 has a very good point, nothing about kinect is worth an extra $100 and a slower system!

kinect isn't the reason the system is slower. Microsoft needed 8 gigs of ram for their entertainment and media functions, and it was unlikely GDDR5 or DDR4 would be ready in time. DDR3 was the only plausible solution, with ESRAM bolted on to alleviate bandwidth issues.

Espada

They do, but that's because Sony has very talented 1st party developers who have the time, money, and resources to spend dealing with the PS3's arcane setup. Multiplatform devs basically gnashed their teeth and threw half-assed ports since they couldn't be bothered to deal with the machine. This led to 90% of console games being better on the 360. Being easy to develop for is a big advantage.

And Nvidia sold Sony a nice sack of shit with the "RSX". It was so weak they had to have CELL help it out.

Before launch there was a TON of people/gamers who were pushing the PS3 as being the more powerful console.

Don't remember "Xbox 1.5"?
Like I said before, a lot of people bought the "Power of the Cell" garbage.

Firstly, way to be a douche.

Secondly, considering the fact that Kinect was the fastest selling consumer electronic device in history, and the 360 has been dominating (at least in the US & UK) ever since it's release, you'd be downright ignorant to imply that the mass market doesn't want that kind of feature. It's an extremely appealing device, and will be even more so when people get their hands on the far more improved next-generation Kinect.

So yeah, don't project your own use cases on to others, especially when the market has obviously taken a liking to the device (even with its limited capabilities on the first Kinect).

guch20

Banned
Nope, not implying that. I'm asking if people could conceive of a circumstance where the published specs might not tell the whole story on performance. I'm not talking about the cloud, either. :)

So flat out: On paper (since we can't know real world performance yet), is PS4 more powerful than XB1? No cloud shit nonsense. No PR BS. Just real, raw, naked numbers.

nib95

Banned
Microsoft.

07-minister.jpg

Krakn3Dfx

Hell yeah they did. I have yet to see anything on the 360 that touches Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Uncharted 2, or Infamous 2 from a graphical perspective.

PS3 was way more powerful, it just took developers spending the time to flesh it out to see those benefits. We're obviously not going to have that problem this time around.

Well they detect when you're looking at the TV and can tell if your mouth is open or closed, so they could use that to filter out background noise from commands.
Not sure if that is one of the ways they use those capabilities, but it is possible. And could be one of the benefits of the camera.

Edit: Oh shit, you work at Microsoft?? Is it company policy to insult potential customers online? I never called you a name, and you called me dense. Fantastic PR you folks have up there.

Any point you tried to make about how great the Kinect will be for the average user is now shit. You're being paid to have a good opinion. I'm sure you'd gush over Surface and Windows 8 if they came up.
And here we go with the victim card.

After the condescending and obnoxious way you responded to someone simply saying that consumers will decide whether they like Kinect's use or not, now you're gonna play the victim card just because someone (God forbid a Microsoft employee) calls you out on making assumptions on everyone's habits and uses for the Kinect.

Yeah, way to be dense indeed.

TheD

The Detective
kinect isn't the reason the system is slower. Microsoft needed 8 gigs of ram for their entertainment and media functions, and it was unlikely GDDR5 or DDR4 would be ready in time. DDR3 was the only plausible solution, with ESRAM bolted on to alleviate bandwidth issues.

I did not say that, I just support what guch20 said.

Secondly, considering the fact that Kinect was the fastest selling consumer electronic device in history, and the 360 has been dominating (at least in the US & UK) ever since it's release, you'd be downright ignorant to imply that the mass market doesn't want that kind of feature. It's an extremely appealing device, and will be even more so when people get their hands on the far more improved next-generation Kinect.

So yeah, don't project your own use cases on to others, especially when the market has obviously taken a liking to the device (even with its limited capabilities on the first Kinect).

I am not the douche!
lastflowers called an other poster "dense" because he did not buy into his vision!

guch20

Banned

How is he being a douche? That Gaffer claims to work for MS.

Second, how are Kinect's sale numbers recently? I'm honestly asking because I don't know. I can't assume it's still setting the world on fire though, as I haven't seen a game advertised for it in months, nor have I seen an ad for the peripheral itself. From everything I've read, there was an initial rush to buy it over the "wow" factor, but people seem to have grown bored with motion gaming. Maybe the new Kinect will prove me wrong, but this time it'll have to actually live up to Microsoft's promises.

Jesus fuck. This is headache inducing to read... people like this major nelson chracter?
honestly he wasn't terrible when he was just some MS guy who put updates on his side but ever since he became more of a mouthpiece and out and spokesperson and all that he has become exponentially unlikeable with each passing day. Not completely his fault, anyone who gets paid to spout as much bullshit as they do these will come off as annoying but still.

Marleyman

Banned
Just judging by the number of defenses he's offered for MS's BS, my guess is because his PS4 will be as imaginary as Microsoft's super duper cloud.

I already answered why I prefer them. People like you are toxic for this board; talking nonsense because I don't share your views. I will keep playing my PS3, enjoy it and do the same for my PS4 while people like you will pick people apart.

guch20

Banned
And here we go with the victim card.

After the condescending and obnoxious way you responded to someone simply saying that consumers will decide whether they like Kinect's use or not, now you're gonna play the victim card just because someone (God forbid a Microsoft employee) calls you out on making assumptions on everyone's habits and uses for the Kinect.

Yeah, way to be dense indeed.
I'm sorry, I was condescending? I gave my opinion of a product I see no need for. I was then called dense for my opinion. I understand you feel personally hurt when people insult Microsoft, but let's not pretend I'm the aggressor here.

And it's not a "card" when I was flat out insulted by a Microsoft employee for simply disagreeing. If this is the childish manner with which they deal with people who don't agree with their "vision," I'm extra glad to be making the switch to PS4 next gen.

Marleyman

Banned
Hell yeah they did. I have yet to see anything on the 360 that touches Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Uncharted 2, or Infamous 2 from a graphical perspective.

PS3 was way more powerful, it just took developers spending the time to flesh it out to see those benefits. We're obviously not going to have that problem this time around.

What games have you developed?

spisho

Neo Member
Like I said before, a lot of people bought the "Power of the Cell" garbage.
How is it garbage if it allows the console with the weaker GPU to put out visuals that hover around even on multiplatform titles? In a renderer that targets SPUs you're going to get better visuals.

BTW some of the "people" who are the most enthusiastic about CELL actually code on the thing.

guch20

Banned
I already answered why I prefer them. People like you are toxic for this board; talking nonsense because I don't share your views. I will keep playing my PS3, enjoy it and do the same for my PS4 while people like you will pick people apart.

Did I insult you? It wasn't intended to be an insult if that's how it was taken. I just noticed you seemed to be doing a lot of Xbone defending. And to be fair, I wasn't the only person to notice that.

emb

I actually agree with this. I thought he was going to say something dumb about the cloud, but the parts I skimmed seemed to summarize to "the games matter, not the hardware". That's always been true. I'm pretty certain the generation will end and I'll still prefer my SNES and Genesis to the Xbone and PS4. I guess others do enjoy graphical fidelity. That price though, stings a little.

I am not the douche!
lastflowers called an other poster "dense" because he did not buy into his vision!

How is he being a douche? That Gaffer claims to work for MS.
Calling someone dense isn't in itself some terrible accusation, especially when the person IS being dense.

Second, how are Kinect's sale numbers recently? I'm honestly asking because I don't know. I can't assume it's still setting the world on fire though, as I haven't seen a game advertised for it in months, nor have I seen an ad for the peripheral itself. From everything I've read, there was an initial rush to buy it over the "wow" factor, but people seem to have grown bored with motion gaming. Maybe the new Kinect will prove me wrong, but this time it'll have to actually live up to Microsoft's promises.
So you admit that there is a wow factor with a device like Kinect and the potential it has. And consider ing the 360 is still the best selling console month over month I'm pretty sure the Kinect is still an appealing product for most consumers.

The Kinect 2 is improved in everyway and will be bundled with every system. You'll see very few Kinect only games, but a plethora of games that incorporate the device in one way or another. Not to mention the actual console is built around the functionality.

Top Bottom