• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

My joysticks make a bit of a ticking noise, but I guess that's because the controller is new and hasn't been used?

I doubt I'll use it all that much due to the price, and because I don't play competitive shooters a ton, but it's nice to have.

My left stick does the same. A popping noise kind of. I was going to see if it went away with use, if not I'm going to return it

Spasm

My left stick does the same. A popping noise kind of. I was going to see if it went away with use, if not I'm going to return it
I was ready to call ms store support, but my pop went away last night after swapping sticks around a little. I have no idea what actually fixed it.

Does anyone know if Walmart is carrying this? I can't find it on their website at all and the in-store employees had no idea what it is when I went searching on Tuesday.

shanafan

Best Buy delivered mine in two days. Nice!

I didn't realize I had 3 different choices with analog sticks. One of the sets is raised up higher, and I definitely want to try that out. Love how easily you can swap the analog sticks.

Paddles feel really good. Be nice to just use those in FPS than the face buttons. Eager to get home and try out.

Chorazin

Threw on the tall sticks. Awwww yissss this is the good stuff. I forgot I had sick extenders on when Halo 4 came out. Love that I can just pop them off for regular games and back on for FPS.

Faceted dpad is God tier. Love how it feels!

Justinh

Does anyone know if Walmart is carrying this? I can't find it on their website at all and the in-store employees had no idea what it is when I went searching on Tuesday.

There used to be a listing for it on Walmart's website, but it never had a release date (said 31 Dec shipped) and it appears they took the page down.

What about Titanfall?

Can someone with an Elite Controller and Titanfall please please do me a favor?

ah i didn't realize it didnt' come out. maybe it was a mistake? they wouldn't actually troll their own customers would they? lol

I can Titanfall. Probably not very well anymore, but what did you need?

WHY CAN'T WE LOCK THE CHARACTERS BUNGIE

My condolences to that guy, though.

shanafan

When you set the controller down it presses in the paddles, so it has an option to turn off the paddles, by double tapping the sync button.

I just got the controller and I haven't had a chance to turn it on yet, but when I set it down, I don't see the paddles being pressed in?

Found this in the Reddit thread:

OP9Erwz.jpg

SwolBro

Banned
i read that on reddit. it's stupid. there should be something in place within the game to let you roll back mistakes like that considerign that the game is mainly about player leveling and shit.

other games like this have had ways for you to correct mistakes like this for a long long time. blaming a random odd ball mistake (he literaly explains this in detail on how many retarded steps and mistakes had to be done in order for this to happen) on the controller is dumb.

Gurrry

Thinking about getting the non-elite version. Just the newer updated one with the headset jack. However, how does voice chat work on this? Does it use the mic on the headset I wear? (for instance, the standard ipod/iphone headphones w/ mic attached).

Justinh

Thinking about getting the non-elite version. Just the newer updated one with the headset jack. However, how does voice chat work on this? Does it use the mic on the headset I wear? (for instance, the standard ipod/iphone headphones w/ mic attached).

Yeah, that should work.
I think any 3pole mic headset thingy will work.
Actually, lemme confirm this... I know the headphones will work, just want to make sure with the mic.

Edit: Yes, I couldn't find my better headphones so forgive me for taking so long, but the crummy set I have for my phone works and the mic does too. As long as it has only one plug and both the mic and headphones go to that, I think you'll be fine.

Anywhere in the UK have this for order.

MS Store, Amazon, Game, Gamestop, Argos all sold out :(

Nope, nowhere. I've been looking everywhere since Amazon lost my order. I have put a pre order in with GAME which said releases in 5 days but I'm doubtful I will get one then. They seem to have even taken the page down now.

Smyth's toys might be your best bet, or any other 'obscure' place like that where most people don't think to go.

Gurrry

Yeah, that should work.
Actually, lemme confirm this... I know the headphones will work, just want to make sure with the mic.

Edit: Yes, I couldn't find my better headphones so forgive me for taking so long, but the crummy set I have for my phone works and the mic does too. As long as it has only one plug and both the mic and headphones go to that, I think you'll be fine.

dude awesome! thanks so much for testing that out for me!

now i just gotta decide which color i want! lol.

i think lunar white is the way to go.

derFeef

Yeah, that should work.

You can also use this if you have one of those PC headsets with seperate plugs (like my Sennheiser). Works good with the adapter on the regular/old One pads - I guess it's the same with the new ones and the built-in port.

images

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
You are talking to MS customer service correct? I'd call them back and escalate the call up a level. Don't take no for an answer. I'd tell them a $160 (including tax) purchase should not turn into $170 because it was faulty out of the box. They should provide either a complete replacement and cover your shipping cost to return it to them while they ship you a new one, or they should throw one of the pieces into an envelope and mail it for (edit) 49 cents.

...gets me riled up just thinking about it.

Gave it another shot, and MS support still doesn't seem particularly interested in fixing it. And they don't want to just send me a replacement d-pad.

That's some straight up bullshit customer service.

User error.

The controller does NOT press the paddles when you set it down, unless you set it on something that it is straddling or something like that.

How someone managed to delete their destiny character with this controller is beyond me. Guy is an idiot.

Then set it on a table, not on the carpet like a heathen. lol

As for the controller: I fucking love this thing. Build quality is amazing. Faceted d-pad is finally the d-pad I've been looking for all these years. So far I can only get used to using two of the four paddles, the bottom two, but that's enough for me. I rarely use more than two of the four face buttons in shooters in the heat of battle, that being A and X, because I play bumper jumper. So setting bottom-left paddle to A and bottom-right paddle to X means I only have to use face buttons when switching weapons or manually reloading, neither of which happen often when I'm in a hit-shots-or-die situation.

This controller will not make you an FPS god. But it will take your base skills and bump them up a notch once you get used to it.

Over a decade of muscle memory is a bitch to rewire though. Damn these hands of mine!

Justinh

i think lunar white is the way to go.

I think you're right... and no problemo, sorry it took me so long.

That's some straight up bullshit customer service.

Yeah, I don't why they'd be such dicks in replacing something defective.

How someone managed to delete their destiny character with this controller is beyond me. Guy is an idiot.

I think I agree with this, too. I feel bad that he lost his character, but don't you have to hold the x button down for a while to delete a character like with legendaries? Did he turn the controller back on just to set it back down? ...on top of something so the paddles actually actuate? Or did he put them in upside down, which might be someone's preference I dunno, so that they do activate when set down?
Over a decade of muscle memory is a bitch to rewire though. Damn these hands of mine!
Yeah, it's taking a while, but I'm slowly getting used to the four paddles. I like that with the button remapping I can have the same layout in all shooters and am pretty sure it's helping me get used to my settings.

Plus I got a little help...

What are others' thoughts? Anyone else getting the ticking noise? Think it's a big deal?

No noises on mine with the sticks, but I would think it's a big deal considering the price...

Mine just makes a slight tick when you move the joysticks. Both of them do this. My Forza controller -- which is also new -- also does it with its left joystick.

Popping is likely worse, and could be a defect. I don't know if the ticking is, though. It doesn't seem to affect performance; there's just the sound sometimes and at least with the Forza controller, it goes away after an hour or two of use. It's there when I first play, though.

What are others' thoughts? Anyone else getting the ticking noise? Think it's a big deal?

Mine is a review unit, so it'd be tougher to exchange and I hope I won't need to.

FX-GMC

Mine just makes a slight tick when you move the joysticks. Both of them do this. My Forza controller -- which is also new -- also does it with its left joystick.

Popping is likely worse, and could be a defect. I don't know if the ticking is, though. It doesn't seem to affect performance; there's just the sound sometimes and at least with the Forza controller, it goes away after an hour or two of use. It's there when I first play, though.

Mine is a review unit, so it'd be tougher to exchange and I hope I won't need to.

My left stick makes that slight tick like something is sticking then letting go when moved off center. I believe mine goes away after a few mins of use. Doesn't affect gameplay and I can't hear it with the headset on anyway so I'm going with slight annoyance/non-issue.

Vestal

Gold Member
I just got the controller and I haven't had a chance to turn it on yet, but when I set it down, I don't see the paddles being pressed in?

Found this in the Reddit thread:

That is not a flat surface. I have my controller right in front of me right now sitting on a flat surface and the paddles are not touching the surface at all, it has some decent clearing.

My left stick makes that slight tick like something is sticking then letting go when moved off center. I believe mine goes away after a few mins of use. Doesn't affect gameplay and I can't hear it with the headset on anyway so I'm going with slight annoyance/non-issue.

Does it feel like it's sticking?

I haven't used the Elite Controller much, but it doesn't seem to affect performance on the Forza controller. It bugs me, though, because I worry about longevity, especially with a controller that's almost $200.

FX-GMC

That is not a flat surface. I have my controller right in front of me right now sitting on a flat surface and the paddles are not touching the surface at all, it has some decent clearing.

MKBBK3B.jpg

Does it feel like it's sticking?

I haven't used the Elite Controller much, but it doesn't seem to affect performance on the Forza controller. It bugs me, though, because I worry about longevity, especially with a controller that's almost $200.

Its mostly just a noise I can hear and not something I feel because I don't notice it with my headset on while gaming. I'm hoping it just needs time to settle in and won't be an issue later on.
EDIT: Now that I'm looking into it I notice the sound on both sticks.

Vestal

Gold Member
Its mostly just a noise I can hear and not something I feel because I don't notice it with my headset on while gaming. I'm hoping it just needs time to settle in and won't be an issue later on.
EDIT: Now that I'm looking into it I notice the sound on both sticks.

Hear it on both my sticks as well, its very mild though.

FWIW I hear no noises AT ALL on mine guys. If I were you I'd demand an exchange from wherever you bought it, even if it means waiting a while for the replacement to be in. A $150 controller shouldn't make any funny noises.

I like how the rubberized surface on it is IDENTICAL to the rubberized surface on the white "I Made This" employee controller. I said when I got that thing that they could sell controllers for $100 with just that one change to the shell. Looks like they did that and a whole lot more. Smart move MS, smart move.

Yaari

I found one on the Dutch Microsoft Store. I hope that they actually have some in stock, but the site doesn't specify any late date to receive it, so I guess they have a few.

Manac0r

Game UK just shipped my controller. With first class delivery, I may see it as early as tomorrow. Here's hoping...

Manac0r

Yeah Game UK listed 3rd of November as release date. They have stopped taking orders now, however when I check my account it says shipped and I got an email confirming this. Maybe it's to make sure it gets to me by the release date?

arhra

So I was screwing around with the Win10 app on my Surface, and noticed something odd (apart from the fact that apparently I can't back out once going into a submenu) - the stick sensitivity curves it shows are completely different to the ones I see in the Xbox version of the app (current publich dash, not NXOE).

The "Instant" setting, for example, looks like this on the Xbox:

M4oQKZO.png

While on Windows, it looks like this:

ZnVWEYc.png

Can someone on the NXOE check to see which you have?

edit: Set one of my profiles to the Windows version of "Instant" and synced the controller back to the Xbox to try it out in-game in Halo, and it's definitely not just that they're displaying differently. With the Windows Instant, any slight movement of the stick is like jamming it all the way over instantly, making it completely unplayable, at least for a shooter where you need fine control, whereas with the Xbox one, it basically just shrinks the deadzone and leaves you with the full range over most of the stick's movement.

Apple headsets specifically I think won't work without an adapter, as the world is incapable of settling on a single standard even for seemingly-simple things like a 4-pole audio jack - see here, in the "Standards for audio jacks" section. Apple use OMTP, whereas the Xbox uses the CTIA standard you usually see on Android phones.

FX-GMC

Can someone on the NXOE check to see which you have?

Apple headsets specifically I think won't work without an adapter, as the world is incapable of settling on a single standard even for seemingly-simple things like a 4-pole audio jack - see here, in the "Standards for audio jacks" section. Apple use OMTP, whereas the Xbox uses the CTIA standard you usually see on Android phones.

The settings are labeled differently in NXOE. Default, Aggressive, *something*, Instant.

On NXOE the instant setting graph looks like it does in your Win10 screenshot.

Your statement about Apple headsets is also correct. The poles are not in the correct order for use as an Xbox One headset.

So I was screwing around with the Win10 app on my Surface, and noticed something odd (apart from the fact that apparently I can't back out once going into a submenu)]

Does the little back facing arrow beside the start button allow you to go back from the submenu? (or you can take Win 10 out of Tablet mode in the notification center and you will have a back arrow in the title bar of the application).

PkhDrUE.png

It's probably just the "oooooooh shiny" magpie part of my personality but good lord do I love this. I don't even have an Xbox one, nor a gaming PC. The carry case is a deal sealer for me despite the fact that in my own situation I cannot think of a single occasion when I would need to use it. It's not even to do with the customisability, I just think it looks pretty!

I need help

FX-GMC

It's probably just the "oooooooh shiny" magpie part of my personality but good lord do I love this. I don't even have an Xbox one, nor a gaming PC. The carry case is a deal sealer for me despite the fact that in my own situation I cannot think of a single occasion when I would need to use it. It's not even to do with the customisability, I just think it looks pretty!

I need help

No, you need an Elite.
jk get some help

arhra

It looks like the second picture for me on NXOE, with the more drastic looking "Instant."

Well that's unfortunate. The public dash's app's Instant setting is fantastic, essentially eliminating the deadzone in H5 and making aiming way smoother and more responsive.

Hopefully they'll eventually update the app to let us set custom curves, but until they I guess I'll just not touch my main profile after the NXOE update goes live...

Does the little back facing arrow beside the start button allow you to go back from the submenu? (or you can take Win 10 out of Tablet mode in the notification center and you will have a back arrow in the title bar of the application).

That dumps me back to the Start screen. If I switch out of tablet mode, the back arrow in the titlebar does precisely nothing.

FX-GMC

That dumps me back to the Start screen. If I switch out of tablet mode, the back arrow in the titlebar does precisely nothing.

Weird. Just pulled my SP3 out to test it.....

EDIT: The back arrow in tablet mode does return me to the start screen. The arrow at the top of the window in desktop mode takes me back to the previous screen.

Mine does it too. I hope it goes away because it seems like getting a replacement would be a pain in the ass.

Yea mine is still doing it and I've probably put 15 hours on it so far. Talked to Amazon and they said that they don't have any in the pipeline yet to do a swap. They said that once they have them they will send you one and then you send the other back.

One of the selling points is its potential longevity, and I'm not sure I want to roll the dice on whether the sound is indicative of a long term issue

Shy

I just picked up the controller today. HO-LY SHITBALLS. all the soo good gif in the universe.
m3P1kXg.gif

I have an odd question though.
On the PC, where is the xbox accessories folder located, i need to disable the DPI scaling, because part of it is cut off, even in full screen mode.

SwolBro

Banned
Well that's unfortunate. The public dash's app's Instant setting is fantastic, essentially eliminating the deadzone in H5 and making aiming way smoother and more responsive.

but does the sensitivity curve allow you to essentially take a lower setting and make it seem slightly faster?

like making a 4 sense in halo 5 feel a bit more like a 6 sense?

Hatty

I need help

Sell it for an outrageous markup

arhra

but does the sensitivity curve allow you to essentially take a lower setting and make it seem slightly faster?

like making a 4 sense in halo 5 feel a bit more like a 6 sense?

If/when they add custom curve support, you could probably do something sort of like that. You obviously wouldn't be able to do anything about any max turn speed differences, but you could have it set up so that smaller stick movements translate into larger input to the game. The Win10 Instant setting is an extreme example - it's like playing with a stick that goes instantly from centered to max - but a more subtle version might do what you want.

Without knowing exactly how Halo interprets stick input and translates that into viewpoint velocity (and how that changes with the sensitivity setting) it's hard to say for sure, though.

Right now, you're limited to a few preset curves, unfortunately. However, given that the curves are different between the old dash and the NXOE/Win10, it seems that the hardware supports arbitrary curves, so hopefully at some point they'll add a custom option.

Is anyone else having an issue with using the sparrow boost in Destiny when the hair trigger is activated?

Probably similar to the plasma pistol issue in Halo 5 - the game is looking for a full trigger depression, and the stops are blocking the triggers before they can get to the point where it'd kick in. You can fix it by changing the trigger range in the app.

Top Bottom