• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Are the analogue sticks the same friction?

I find the XB1 sticks far too loose vs PS4/360 pad.

These are smoother, so it feels like you've increased the sensitivity a bit more.

Weird question, but does the left stick sound different then the right for anyone? I've get a popping sound when I move the left, but it also makes a much different click against the wall. I'm just trying to decide if I should try to swap it, or if it'll be fine.

Wallach

I only use two so I reversed the sides they're on and that gives them much more support. (they're upside down this way)

Yep, this is how I use it. Short paddles on the upper slots, switched sides so that the fatter portion extends downward instead of upward. Feels perfect.

KingV

Has anyone been using the Halo 5 presets in the app?

I'm using helljunper in Halo 5, set by the game, but see that there is also a helljumper setting in the Xbox accessories app that looks like it moves the buttons around further.

I'm trying to figure out what the point is? Are you supposed to pick helljumper in the accessories app and then just leave it at normal settings in Halo 5, or pick helljumper in both... Or what?

Halo 5 is perfect for paddles, it has a few too many buttons that you want to have hands on the controller for.

I want one of these but I have a white Xbox and it won't go :(

Getting pipboy Fallout 4 so will have to wait a couple of months and see what like.

The original pad is the best ive ever played with (been gaming since the mega drive) so curious to get my hands on one to see the hype and the amazing responses.

Might be overkill but if they're getting in the way and you don't need them, you could have a profile that doesn't use them and a profile that does, for the same game, and play without them most of the time, then swap the profile using that profile swap button on the back when you need to activate them.

Not sure if it's worth the setup time but might help. I could see not needing them for most circumstances in a game, then swapping them on in a specific circumstance, like running around in GTA you wouldn't need them, but when driving you would because the triggers are used for gas/brake.
This is genius. The OS is where it gets annoying, so I could have a 'paddles disabled' profile when I'm out of game, and use the other one while in-game.

I only use two so I reversed the sides they're on and that gives them much more support. (they're upside down this way)
I used just the two short paddles in the top slots, but turning them upside down is brilliant! I'll see if that helps.

What config did you use for Destiny?
Right hair trigger, short paddles in top slots - PL is X and PR is A, for reload/revive and jump respectively. Pretty amazing setup that means my thumb rarely has to leave the stick.

Thanks guys!

Shy

Reposting for new page, sorry for the bother.
Me said:
Hi gents, quick question about the controller before i get one.

When using the elite on the PC, is it recognised as xinput device (360 controller) because i want to replace my chrome blue 360 pad that i use for everything. (i use joytokey to use it as a desktop mouse, as well as for games)

These are smoother, so it feels like you've increased the sensitivity a bit more.

Weird question, but does the left stick sound different then the right for anyone? I've get a popping sound when I move the left, but it also makes a much different click against the wall. I'm just trying to decide if I should try to swap it, or if it'll be fine.

I have this issue as well and im debating getting it replaced next week when cod comes out because ill be playing that on ps4.

Samaritan

Are the analogue sticks the same friction?

I find the XB1 sticks far too loose vs PS4/360 pad.

The sticks on the new controller center a lot more aggressively. Like you I also hate the looseness of the analog sticks on the regular Xbox One controller. The Elite solves all of my problems with the regular pad's analogs.

Heads up for those interested in this:

Thumbstick components are still made of plastic instead of metal (like it was on the 360, meaning that this $150 product WILL SUFFER FROM STICK DRIFT.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3qjmad/xbox_elite_controller_and_thumbstick_drift_it/

thats definitely not how they marketed the controller didn't the promo video say its was all steel? Has anyone done a teardown video of one of these I don't really trust a random dude on reddit. I haven't had stick drift on any of my controllers so i'm not that worried.

Question for the people that have it already. Can you set a profile per game? Are there presets for games available?I'm unaware of any shops in the Netherlands that already sold the Elite controller. There are only a handfull of shops that even offer the controller at all. And each shop has their own releasedate.
Yes some online shops have already shipped but most have not had one that is true.
But mostly, most of them just did not get any.

Heads up for those interested in this:

Thumbstick components are still made of plastic instead of metal (like it was on the 360, meaning that this $150 product WILL SUFFER FROM STICK DRIFT.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3qjmad/xbox_elite_controller_and_thumbstick_drift_it/

The comments clarify that 360 sticks suffered from drift, even with the copper. Another person who, allegedly, fixes controllers stated that the copper/plastic isn't directly related to drift.

Yaari

My sister is going to the US for 2 weeks. Can I throw any stores at her to look for one? I'm sure its sold out just like anywhere else but since she is there anyway, might as well let her try.

My sister is going to the US for 2 weeks. Can I throw any stores at her to look for one? I'm sure its sold out just like anywhere else but since she is there anyway, might as well let her try.

probably a Microsoft store thats the only place I could find one and I live in a major city.

FX-GMC

This is genius. The OS is where it gets annoying, so I could have a 'paddles disabled' profile when I'm out of game, and use the other one while in-game.

I used just the two short paddles in the top slots, but turning them upside down is brilliant! I'll see if that helps.

Right hair trigger, short paddles in top slots - PL is X and PR is A, for reload/revive and jump respectively. Pretty amazing setup that means my thumb rarely has to leave the stick.

Thanks guys!

As already stated, double pressing the sync button on the top of the controller disables/enables the paddles. No reason to waste one of the profiles for that.

pieface

I can't use the paddles at all. Would have preferred buttons on the back to be honest. I keep accidently hitting the paddles and its infuriating. Will be in a dual with someone in Halo5 and then suddenly thrust. And then die.

TheRayJ

I really want the ability to map screenshots and record video to a face button (or paddles). Especially for screenshots, I don't want the lag of having to say "Xbox take a screenshot" - instant screenshots like on PS4 would be way better.

Chorazin

I can't use the paddles at all. Would have preferred buttons on the back to be honest. I keep accidently hitting the paddles and its infuriating. Will be in a dual with someone in Halo5 and then suddenly thrust. And then die.

Since we're going to get getting different paddle types in the future, I'm sure we'll get something more button like. At least the rest of the controller is awesome!

lcd

Thanks guys!

Thanks, that's a good setup I'll have to try out. So far the only change I've made is using the bottom left paddle mapped to clicking the left stick for easier sprinting.

I really want the ability to map screenshots and record video to a face button (or paddles). Especially for screenshots, I don't want the lag of having to say "Xbox take a screenshot" - instant screenshots like on PS4 would be way better.
Double tap the xbox guide button then press y if you want the exact picture without lag. It will freeze that exact moment for you.

Since we're going to get getting different paddle types in the future, I'm sure we'll get something more button like. At least the rest of the controller is awesome!
Is it confirmed there will be different paddle types in the future? I'm having a problem hitting the paddles accidentally because apparently my hands are too big for this shit. Other than that the controller is ace.

Karish

How are the taller sticks? I currently have clip ons that extend the height of my sticks and that's a big part of appeal for me with this

I'm iwith you.

The Double Tap Xbox + Y or X is still slow and also puts up the annoying overlay. Rather have the ability to do one immediately.

This functionality is built into the new chat pad (a button for screenshots and record that), so I can really see it coming to the controller app.

SwolBro

Banned

yeah bro did you think you were going to just completely switch around how you game in a matter of hours after years and years of using the controller one way?

it takes time.

Pakesaker

I'm looking for some suggestions on control scheme for Halo 5 with either two or four paddles. I messed around with a bunch of the in game ones and the preset ones in the app, but had trouble finding something that felt comfortable. I know it will take time no matter what just because the idea of the paddles is new muscle memory. Thanks for any help.

Bsigg12

Anyone worried about pressing the paddles outside of a game: double tap the sync button on the top to toggle the paddles on and off.

this is a typical knee jerk reaction tbh. Hell, you can probably find me on that thread talkin shit.

image.php

Perfect use for the avatar response hahaha

charpunk

I'm looking for some suggestions on control scheme for Halo 5 with either two or four paddles. I messed around with a bunch of the in game ones and the preset ones in the app, but had trouble finding something that felt comfortable. I know it will take time no matter what just because the idea of the paddles is new muscle memory. Thanks for any help.

I'm using using upper left paddle as X, lower left as A, upper right as Y, and lower right as B. I never have to take my thumbs off the sticks, and it's amazing.

BizzyBum

It's funny, when this was announced at $150 I scoffed at it, but now I kinda want one. Scuf controllers are expensive to begin with, and with Halo 5 I see how beneficial it would be to have both jumping and thrusting be on a paddle. Pressing X for thrusting sucks.

Unfortunately, these are now impossible to find.

Justinh

I never have to take my thumbs off the sticks, and it's amazing.

Yeah, it feels great when you're in the swing of things. I jumped in with 4 because I didn't want to get used to 2, then have to go back in the learning zone all over again to get used to 4. The only thing now for me is that sometimes I have to consciously think about the paddles rather than using them instinctively, if that makes sense. Other times it just clicks for me and I friggen' love it.

I'm still waiting for Halo 5 to finish downloading, but in Destiny and MCC I like having jump as lower right, weapon switch as upper right, sprint as upper left and melee as lower left.

Thank God for button remapping so I can put X (reload) on the Right Bumper in Destiny and I don't have to deal with accidentally melee-ing when I want to reload.

I'll give him a month before he leaves. Dead or alive.

I think it's great that he's here and sees that we love this thing, but then again couldn't anybody just name their account "Xbox_Phil?"

Gorki247

I'm iwith you.

The Double Tap Xbox + Y or X is still slow and also puts up the annoying overlay. Rather have the ability to do one immediately.

Not really. It takes a screenshot the moment you double-tap the Xbox button, so pretty immediate. Y just saves that screenshot for you. I don't see how the overlay is an issue either, as the screenshot has already done by the time it comes up.

Top Bottom